Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

Comments

• roadrageeroadragee Member Posts: 135
    edited May 2014

@kyfdx said:
    .00046 MF and 52% residual. $1500 lease cash.

Thanks for the info.

Currently shopping among Jetta SE, Mazda3 S Touring, and Prius Hatchback - either Three or Five trim level (Yup, I've been asking lease terms on all three) - on behalf of a family member.

In terms of pure leasing values, including possible final negotiated cost, Toyota Prius really wins with almost 0% lease rate and very favorable residual, plus potential fuel saving compared to others, at the cost of less exciting drive of course. Mazda3 is coming in second and is a really solid ride with good lease values. Jetta, even though the new 1.8T EA888 engine is quite a performer, suffers the worst with lowest residual and higher rent charge.

With Toyota Prius giving up the first place as the best selling car in CA to Honda Accord - around 300 unit difference in the first quarter of 2014, I have a feeling Toyota wants to do 'More' to move the Priis off the lot. Also true are rather disappointing sales of Mazda3 in the eyes of Mazda NA ( due to Civic vs Corolla pricing war!) and Volkswagen's relentless downhill motion in terms of sales. All of these point to favors on my side rather than theirs! Mucho Bueno!

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724

I have encountered the same issue with VW. They lease higher than other makes! Though, I don't want to leave VW.

I still have my 2011 Jetta SE lease. Needing out soon! My dealer called me Friday, went to voicemail. They offered $384mth, $0, 48mth lease on SEL--With my trade! They mentioned an extra 500 incentive! I currently pay $350. Is it wrong for me to want to stay at that payment?
    When do you logically go for a deal that is higher? Would you do it? Am I being petty for wanting the SEL? I think I can talk them down closer to $350. I am calling them Monday to see what they are offering as sale price on this deal.

With all that said-they have offered 2 deals in the last couple weeks.
    1-Jetta SE Rf- $350-before $500 incentive (maybe $335 with incentive)
    2-Jetta SEL-$384 with everything

Which deal would you choose?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Wanting to wrap all of this up. :) Thank you

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,551

@bvdj84 said:
    I have encountered the same issue with VW. They lease higher than other makes! Though, I don't want to leave VW.

I still have my 2011 Jetta SE lease. Needing out soon! My dealer called me Friday, went to voicemail. They offered $384mth, $0, 48mth lease on SEL--With my trade! They mentioned an extra 500 incentive! I currently pay $350. Is it wrong for me to want to stay at that payment?
    When do you logically go for a deal that is higher? Would you do it? Am I being petty for wanting the SEL? I think I can talk them down closer to $350. I am calling them Monday to see what they are offering as sale price on this deal.

Sorry, I don't make decisions about other people's money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382

Decide if the few SEL extras are vital too you. If not just get the SE with roof and connectivity and save some money

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2014

@bvdj84 said:

With your trade? You don't have a trade. You have a lease. If the dealer takes it back early, they are adding your remaining payments to the cap cost of the new lease. Your so-called trade is increasing your new lease price, not reducing it. This is what happens when you turn in a lease early, except for the rare event when the old car is worth more than it's lease-end residual.

@rbirns1 said:
    With your trade? You don't have a trade. You have a lease. If the dealer takes it back early, they are adding your remaining payments to the cap cost of the new lease. Your so-called trade is increasing your new lease price, not reducing it. This is what happens when you turn in a lease early, except for the rare event when the old car is worth more than it's lease-end residual.

That's not always true. As a moderator, I've seen plenty of deals made by members where the remaining payments are waived by the dealer - and not through some sort of 'pull ahead' program.

Not sure that this is the case here, but wanted to correct the notion that getting out of a lease early is always going to cost you money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited May 2014

^ Those payments aren't waived by the dealer. One of two things is happening. The dealer is just choosing to lower his selling price by that amount in order to move a new car, or he will buy out the lease to resell the car. The remaining payments must be paid by someone, or the car must be purchased for the contracted amount. It is correct that getting out of a lease early will not always cost **you **money, but it's costing **someone **money.

@rbirns1 said:
    ^ Those payments aren't waived by the dealer. One of two things is happening. The dealer is just choosing to lower his selling price by that amount in order to move a new car, or he will buy out the lease to resell the car. The remaining payments must be paid by someone, or the car must be purchased for the contracted amount. It is correct that getting out of a lease early will not always cost you money, but it's costing someone money.

Agreed. I also believe the OP is over mileage on his current lease, so getting out early might mitigate some of the end-of-lease charges they will face, even though those costs are being applied to the next lease in the form of a higher payment.

More detail is needed to fully evaluate the deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

UPDATE: They are giving me a sale price of $24,368. Is this good or bad? The MSRP was 27,390 and the invoice is 26,368. Please let me know. Yes they are rolling in my negative difference of my trade into the deal. The payoff verses my trade value. With that all said, this is giving me a payment of $384 a month including tax. They are claiming that this is low and go out on a limb for me. The extra $500 extra vw cash makes a difference, but they state they are offering more off the price to get to this range. Let me know what you guys think.

@bvdj84 said:
    UPDATE: They are giving me a sale price of $24,368. Is this good or bad? The MSRP was 27,390 and the invoice is 26,368. Please let me know. Yes they are rolling in my negative difference of my trade into the deal. The payoff verses my trade value. With that all said, this is giving me a payment of $384 a month including tax. They are claiming that this is low and go out on a limb for me. The extra $500 extra vw cash makes a difference, but they state they are offering more off the price to get to this range. Let me know what you guys think.

How much negative equity are they rolling in? Do you know if the selling price of $24,368 includes the $1500 lease cash VW is offering on the 1.8T SE / SEL this month?

The base MF for a 36 month lease is .00046 and the residual for 36mo/15K is 50%.

We can run the numbers for you once we have all the information. At the moment, it's hard to say if the $384/mo number can be reduced or not.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

They are rolling in 1500 negative equity into the deal. They state the deal is with all of the incentives applied to the selling price. I owe 13,000 on my current lease pay off minus the 11,500 they are giving me for my trade. Equals 1,500 negative.

@bvdj84 said:
    They are rolling in 1500 negative equity into the deal. They state the deal is with all of the incentives applied to the selling price. I owe 13,000 on my current lease pay off minus the 11,500 they are giving me for my trade. Equals 1,500 negative.

Thanks for this -- let's review:

$27,390 MSRP

$25,868 net cap cost

36 months, 15k per year

Pre-tax payment works out to $356.34 - 8% tax gets me to $384.84.

So, they aren't marking up the MF on you. And, the selling price with the incentives cancels out the negative equity you are rolling into the deal.

So, the question is ... are you happy with the deal in front of you? I know you were looking for $350/mo, but you are stepping up to the SEL trim level.

As stickguy pointed out, is it worth the extra money each month to have the extra equipment in the SEL?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea a $27,000 Jetta. My how times have changed.

@rbirns1 said:
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea a $27,000 Jetta. My how times have changed.

You aren't kidding - I priced out a Jetta SportWagen and the sticker broke through $30K when loaded up.

But, that's a competitive price - Focus and Mazda 3 can be priced that high with all the bells and whistles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell said:
    As stickguy pointed out, is it worth the extra money each month to have the extra equipment in the SEL?

So it looks like they are not trying to pull anything over on me! I can't help from wonder if I should save money and get the SE. They had me at $350, but if they are aggressive like on the SEL, they can get me under this. I am trying to justify $34 more a month.

Can you draw up a deal on an SE with roof with similar terms to see how low I could get under $350?

@bvdj84 said:
    Can you draw up a deal on an SE with roof with similar terms to see how low I could get under $350?

I'd need the MSRP and net cap cost (selling price + negative equity) to be able to model a payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell said:
    I'd need the MSRP and net cap cost (selling price + negative equity) to be able to model a payment.

They have a monthly payment of $360 if I choose the SE.

edited May 2014

@Michaell said:

MSRP 24,875
    selling: 22,430

1,500 negative

Thank you!

They are stating the residual is not as good on SE? Is this true?

@bvdj84 said:
    MSRP 24,875 selling: 22,430

1,500 negative

Thank you!

They are stating the residual is not as good on SE? Is this true?

If I use the 24,875 MSRP and 23,930 as the net cap cost, I get a pre-tax payment of $335.97 and an after tax payment (8%) of $362.84.

MF and residual are exactly the same for the 1.8T SE and SEL trims.

I'm guessing the dealer can't give you as big a discount on the SE.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell said:
    I'm guessing the dealer can't give you as big a discount on the SE.

Yes, they mention they are wanting to move more units. Are other brands leasing better? Is it the lease rates that are hurting the deal? Or is this normal? I am noticing Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. I don't want to leave VW. But, even the Passat is leasing better right now. But, I don't want a Passat. (too big).

Get what you want to own if you can easily afford it. You will drive the car for the next 3-4 years not the payment. Get the SEL.

If you just want cheap you can sign and drive a Camry LE fir about $200. And probably hate every mile.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734

@stickguy said:
    Get what you want to own if you can easily afford it. You will drive the car for the next 3-4 years not the payment. Get the SEL.

If you just want cheap you can sign and drive a Camry LE fir about $200. And probably hate every mile.

THIS ^^

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You make > @kyfdx said:

Yes. That is so true! I just can't help but wonder if there is going to be extra cash offered this month! Especially with Holiday. They offered it in March and the same cars are on the lot today! They haven't moved. I have another dealer giving me a sale price today too. I think it is advised to check around. I am leaning towards the SEL. I want my target payment that they offered me in March! I need that extra lease cash. They had my right at my payment in March on the SEL. Were so close too at $34 difference.

• germanjohngermanjohn Member Posts: 7

I just got lease payments on a 36 mo 36k lease on a 14 Jetta SE w/ conn & sr package. msrp $24585. $2000 total down, 275 a month including all T&T. Is this good?

@germanjohn said:
    I just got lease payments on a 36 mo 36k lease on a 14 Jetta SE w/ conn & sr package. msrp $24585. $2000 total down, 275 a month including all T&T. Is this good?

Hard to tell .. what was the final selling price and was any of the $2000 down used to reduce the capitalized cost?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I worked it at buying the vehicle for $23,735 which i believe to be pretty close to the invoice, minus $1500 lease rebate. So we should be paying $22,235 for the car after the rebate. Then Im pretty sure the acq fee is $625 so thats what i used for my calculations and I used .00046 for the MF and .52 for the residual. After all this with a total of $2000 down i came up with a $275.31 after tax and tags. So thats what i asked for. It took them a couple days but they just got back to me and said they would do it.

I just want to make sure i wasnt missing anything

@germanjohn said:
    I worked it at buying the vehicle for $23,735 which i believe to be pretty close to the invoice, minus $1500 lease rebate. So we should be paying $22,235 for the car after the rebate. Then Im pretty sure the acq fee is $625 so thats what i used for my calculations and I used .00046 for the MF and .52 for the residual. After all this with a total of $2000 down i came up with a $275.31 after tax and tags. So thats what i asked for. It took them a couple days but they just got back to me and said they would do it. I just want to make sure i wasnt missing anything.

The MF and residual match my numbers, but I'm still unclear how much of the $2000 down reduced the cap cost.

23,575 - 1500 (rebate) = 22,235 + 625 (acq fee) = 22,860

If I use the 24,585 MSRP and 22,860 cap cost with the residual and MF, I get a pre-tax payment of $296.28.

However, you got the payment you wanted - and it's less than my calculations - so go enjoy your new Jetta!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

thanks

edited May 2014

I > @Michaell said:

Question: On that SEL quote, do you think the sale price can go down any? That way I could get any closer to my payment goal of $350. Is there any more wiggle room? Do you think they are applying all incentives? Does the lease mileage make a difference 10k/12k/15k make any difference in payment?

@bvdj84 said:
    I > Michaell said:

Question: On that SEL quote, do you think the sale price can go down any? That way I could get any closer to my payment goal of $350. Is there any more wiggle room? Do you think they are applying all incentives? Does the lease mileage make a difference 10k/12k/15k make any difference in payment?

I'm not in the market for a Jetta, so I don't know what a good transaction price would be - you can use the pricing tools at the top of the page to figure out invoice and TMV prices. That would be a good starting point. Then apply the lease cash to that and compare to what the dealer is offering you.

Reducing the number of miles per year will lower the payment, as the residual is higher. All base residual values for VW assume 15K per year. Add 2% to the residual for 12K and 3% for 10K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Great! Thank you! I don't really want to reduce the mileage, but mileage is not an issue in my leases. I have always traded at the half way mark and was able to lease another model. This time around I drove it too long. I always turn in early before lease end so wouldn't contract mileage not be an issue? If I reduced down to 10k, maybe that would help get me to my goal.

@bvdj84 said:
    Great! Thank you! I don't really want to reduce the mileage, but mileage is not an issue in my leases. I have always traded at the half way mark and was able to lease another model. This time around I drove it too long. I always turn in early before lease end so wouldn't contract mileage not be an issue? If I reduced down to 10k, maybe that would help get me to my goal.

It depends. If you had a 36 month, 12K mile per year lease but drove 25K in the first 6 months and tried to trade it in, you could be hit with mileage charges. Some finance companies pro-rate the miles.

But yes, all things being equal, your payment on a 10K lease would be less than on a 15K lease simply because the residual is higher, so the amount of the payment for depreciation is lower.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Good point! Though, no company has asked me to pay mileage. I pay this in the form of negative equity. I am nervous to drop my mileage down, but see my driving habits decreasing in the next year. 10k might work its way out. (maybe)

I am so over all of this. I can't drive anywhere far until I figure all of this out. Summer is here too. Thank you again for all of your guidance!

I think I am doing a deal today!! Is there any extra cash that came in for holiday weekend other than the 500. The 1,500 and the 500 is the only bonus cash?

Sounds good... Is it stick or automatic?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• apexspeedapexspeed Member Posts: 6

I'm looking at leasing a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with a manual transmission for 36 months / 15k miles per year. Earlier this month, you guys provided residual, MF, and lease cash for the Jetta TDI (http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4140306/#Comment_4140306). Do these numbers still hold for the Value Edition?

I also see that there is $500 from VW available between now and June 2nd (http://www.vw.com/special-offers/). Could I expect this to stack with the $750 lease cash?

Thanks!

@apexspeed said:
    I'm looking at leasing a 2014 Jetta TDI Value Edition with a manual transmission for 36 months / 15k miles per year. Earlier this month, you guys provided residual, MF, and lease cash for the Jetta TDI (http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4140306/#Comment_4140306). Do these numbers still hold for the Value Edition?

I also see that there is $500 from VW available between now and June 2nd (http://www.vw.com/special-offers/). Could I expect this to stack with the $750 lease cash?

Thanks!

Yes.. those are the current numbers, and the $500 should stack..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jmarkelsjmarkels Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014

Hi there, can you please let me know the current MF and residual on Jetta SE auto w/conn, 12k mi/36 mo. I am in MO. Is there any lease cash this month? Many thanks!

@jmarkels said:
    Hi there, can you please let me know the current MF and residual on Jetta SE auto w/conn, 12k mi/36 mo. I am in MO. Is there any lease cash this month? Many thanks!

.00046 and 52%. $1500 lease cash this month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@vw_wagon said:
    Yes, gas. Are the MF and residual the same for a Sportswagen S automatic?

Yes

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jmarkelsjmarkels Member Posts: 3

Awesome. Do you have the numbers for 24 mo and 12 k/yr? Thanks!

@Michaell said:
    .00046 and 52%. $1500 lease cash this month.

@jmarkels said:
    Awesome. Do you have the numbers for 24 mo and 12 k/yr? Thanks!

59% residual for 24 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• slamshifterslamshifter Member Posts: 42

My son just graduated from college and just last week was offered his first job. I am steering him toward a Jetta S manual and will help him lease one since it should be more affordable than buying one outright. His job offer is purely entry level but it's a start!! What are the June MFs and Residual on Jett S manual @ 36 months/12k miles per year? Is there still lease cash on the table from VW. Also does VW Credit have a first time customer program to sweeten the pot? TIA -- slamshifter

I recently helped my son lease a Jetta, for the same reason (he graduated last May, and got it in February after he had been working for about 6 months).

They did have a recent college grad program. He will have to provide some documentation (diploma, job proof) but it is pretty easy. I think they wiaved the first payment, or kicked in $500, but there was something. Also take into account for lease rates.

@slamshifter said:
    My son just graduated from college and just last week was offered his first job. I am steering him toward a Jetta S manual and will help him lease one since it should be more affordable than buying one outright. His job offer is purely entry level but it's a start!! What are the June MFs and Residual on Jett S manual @ 36 months/12k miles per year? Is there still lease cash on the table from VW. Also does VW Credit have a first time customer program to sweeten the pot? TIA -- slamshifter

.00068 and 53%. $1250 lease cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@slamshifter said:

I'm all for saving money, but for just $20/mo. more he could get the 1.8T SE model or the TDI value edition.. (manual) That's a big step up for just a little cash.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

the S 2.0 is a dog for sure.

• slamshifterslamshifter Member Posts: 42

@Michaell‌ @kyfdx@Edmunds‌ @stickguy‌ thanks for the replies. The 1.8 is a fine engine I've heard. I might throw in a few bucks to make sure he gets the SE. Is there any difference in the MF and Resid going from S to SE? TIA -- slamshifter

This discussion has been closed.