Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM Recalls 3.36 Million Cars in North America for Ignition Key Problem | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in General
imageGM Recalls 3.36 Million Cars in North America for Ignition Key Problem | Edmunds.com

The ongoing recall crisis at General Motors continued on Monday, when the Detroit automaker announced that it is recalling 3.36 million cars in North America to rework or replace the ignition keys.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

I have a 2002 Esclade but no recall, haven't noticed any problems either I will just keep my fingers crossed

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

When will they go after the executives that put the company into bankruptcy and left all of these problems yet collected millions in bonuses

• jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156

So, if GM eventually has to recall the majority of cars built since 2000, they just might end up being bankrupt for real this time. I suspect they used the same ignition switch in most of its cars, since the same one appears in Cobalts and Devilles.

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526

From the AP:

Consumers looking for a used vehicle aren't shying away from GM models —
    even though more than 20 million GM cars and trucks have been recalled this year.

General Motors cars such as the Chevrolet Malibu have retained or increased in value,
    sometimes more than rival vehicles. And sales of new cars aren't slowing either,
    up 13 percent in May.

• monks1monks1 Member Posts: 1
    Will this problem cause the engine to dye while driving? That happened to my sister last Sat at 3AM. She had the recall notice for a long time but every time she goes or calls to have it done, they say they don't have them and that they will call her, So far nothing at it is almost the end of the year. I am not a happy GM retiree and this is one of the reasons. The way they treat their customers.
  • tcrowe58tcrowe58 Member Posts: 1
    So took my 2012 Impala to dealership and they reworked key. Do I still need to use the key by itself or can I put my other keys back on the keyring. I am having trouble understanding how plugging the slot in the key can make a difference if I put my other keys back on keyring, but I am going to lose my key if I keep it separate.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    tcrowe58 said:

So took my 2012 Impala to dealership and they reworked key. Do I still need to use the key by itself or can I put my other keys back on the keyring. I am having trouble understanding how plugging the slot in the key can make a difference if I put my other keys back on keyring, but I am going to lose my key if I keep it separate.

It is never a good idea to have a lot of things on the key ring as it can cause stress on switch, but with the plug the force should be from different angle. Lightly loaded key chain should be ok

• kassingerkassinger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Impala that has a history of dieing when braking at stop lights. Anything on that?