Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Model X Update - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Tesla
imageModel X Update - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Here's an update on the Tesla Model X we ordered.

Read the full story here

Comments

• diondidiondi Member Posts: 71

How practical will it be if you have a parking garage with low clearance?

• longhorn1992longhorn1992 Member Posts: 2

Might be fun to open with a pile of snow on top.

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    edited June 2014

Conceptually, I don't have a problem with it. Heck, I could probably grow to like the "falcon doors" if they do provide certain benefits.

With that said, the execution has to be there. If I were an owner, I'd rather not have a more complex and expensive recreation of the current door handles on the Model S. If they're just doing this for the "cool factor" with a half-thought execution, then I'll most certainly pass.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Kind of agree with what others have said.

I also think I'm amazed that you dropped $40k for a year+ on an if-come, and then you "hadn't heard much from Tesla" because the car was "quietly delayed." Seriously? They didn't even give their "reservation holders" a heads-up about something like that, even after those folks are into them for that kind of money?

I thought Edmunds was being pretty indulgent with Tesla with regards to the problems with the LT Model S, but that's nothing compared to this. They're so far up you'll need a winch to get them out.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Good thing I sold off my last canoe and don't own a rocket box.

• adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42

How do I get out when I'm parked in an underground garage with a low ceiling? emmmmm

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

The Model S is so successful because it doesn't ask the consumer to embrace to many new things beyond the powertrain. Getting people to consider an electric car is a big enough hurdle. But beyond that, the Model S delivers just about everything buyers of luxury sedans expect. Now we have the Model X and the falcon wing doors. These doors are certainly different. But they are a mistake. They are an answer to a question nobody was asking. They offer the same benefits of sliding doors in tight spots but with added complexity and additional weight up high on the vehicle. They prevent you from using a rack to carry anything on the roof, something that so many CUV owners do. They will be a problem in low garages. With the well-documented challenges of getting people to consider an electric vehicle, the Model S succeeded because it eliminated any other barriers to entry: there is no "weirdness." Why wouldn't they take the same approach with the Model X? Instead they've injected a whole lot of weirdness and made it the defining characteristic of the car.

• jim_njjim_nj Member Posts: 11

@adantium said:
    How do I get out when I'm parked in an underground garage with a low ceiling? emmmmm

There are no official specs out on the Model X yet, but based on prototypes that have been seen on the street and beside Model S's, the height of the Model X is expected to be about 64-66 inches. That's kind of low by SUV standards, but the reality is that the Model X is ... (dare I say it?) ... a minivan . The falcon wing doors will top out at 7' to 7'3". Do any garages have ceilings this low?

• gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514

I understand that oft-published image is Elon Musk's own garage. It's not mine. The X would have to live outside at my house.

And, like forson1, I'm a bit stunned you dropped $40k so early. However, the X's drivetrain had better impress, or replacing both of them on the X will become quite entertaining reading.

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196

@longhorn1992 said:
    Might be fun to open with a pile of snow on top.

Do they have snow in South Africa?

How do you get out if it rolls over?

• goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64

What if an actual falcon wants to mate with it while I'm opening the door?... Yes some of the questions are this ridiculous...

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

Those falcon doors are certainly unique, but how practical are they? It's not clear in the picture shown above that there's actually room between the passenger side of the car and the garage wall for the door to open and close without crashing into the wall. How much horizontal clearance is required? You'll have trouble in parking lots with narrow spaces or if someone parks close to you. With a conventional door you can try to squeeze in/out, but with these falcon wings you're stuck. And what's the vertical clearance required? Many homes-- not to mention public garages-- may lack sufficient height.

I'm really eager to see the Tesla X hit the market but this seems like a look-at-me marketing item that was not thought out for the real world. It could be a major deal-killer.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Another thing to consider is that people use CUVs with car-top carriers and to tow trailers...those things are ruled out here not by the door configuration but by the range-depleting effects of the of the carrier and the trailer. Those are two things that didn't factor in to the Model S...it's a conventional sedan configuration and as such not commonly used with carriers or to tow.

• tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107

If the falcon wing doors on the Model X are anything like the gullwing doors on a Delorean, they need practically no horizontal clearance to open without hitting anything. IIRC the gullwing doors on a Delorean required less than 15" of horizontal clearance to open unobstructed, which is significantly less than a standard door and works well in crowded spaces. In fact there's an animation of the doors in action on Tesla's website. They appear to be dual hinged so they require even less horizontal clearance. Also only the rear doors are falcon doors. The front doors are still conventional front-hinged doors. As for vertical clearance, I've never been in a garage that had 7 foot (or less) ceilings in it so I can't really imagine a scenario where it would pose a problem.

• dmojavensisdmojavensis Member Posts: 4

These doors will be especially convenient when it rains

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

Would it be possible to tow a battery mounted on a trailer to extend the range or tow one of those rental generators and use it to top off the battery?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Pretty nasty to repair accident damage I would guess.

• bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope. i can see tesla adopting this on all their cars to get more customers though.

• bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24

@hybris said:
    Would it be possible to tow a battery mounted on a trailer to extend the range or tow one of those rental generators and use it to top off the battery?

OR you can rent a suburban or escalade that has to be more fuel efficient then the cart leading the horse approach.

• teslafanteslafan Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2014

I hope, Tesla doesn't loose their model X reservation because of this silly door.
    The garage door opener looks too close to the doors in the picture. My garage has 8' ceiling, and the door opener hangs about a foot lower. The door will hit that, I think.

Also, they say 'can get up standing up'. if you are tall, you will hit youru head on the door for sure.

Not sure, why the minivan-style door wasn't optional. That has worked for millions of soccer mom types and handicap people for years.

• longhorn1992longhorn1992 Member Posts: 2

@darthbimmer said:
    Those falcon doors are certainly unique, but how practical are they? It's not clear in the picture shown above that there's actually room between the passenger side of the car and the garage wall for the door to open and close without crashing into the wall. How much horizontal clearance is required? You'll have trouble in parking lots with narrow spaces or if someone parks close to you. With a conventional door you can try to squeeze in/out, but with these falcon wings you're stuck.

Actually, the horizontal clearance is suppose to be the benefit of these doors. Since they hinge where the roof-line is, they don't swing out very far. Suppose to be similar to a mini-van's sliding door. Basically, if you are able to park between two vehicles, you will be able to open the doors without hitting anything (Elon Musk said this, not me).

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Why exactly would you want to get in a car standing up? I can already do that on a bus.

• nicadnicad Member Posts: 3

If it is as reliable as the Model X, that will mean 6 motors in 20K. Selling an AWD vehicle implies it will be good in snow or ski country. This door arrangement is the last thing a skier wants. I think the door makes no sense on an SUV.

• gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514

Umm, why has the Model S thread gone silent for 2-1/2 weeks? Is it visiting the Dart?

• teslafanteslafan Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2014

When you ordered your Model X, did you put Edmunds' name there? I would like to see Edmunds conduct their long term testing on a random Model X, and not on a piece that is manufactured with special care by Tesla, because it is for Edmunds.

• ratansratans Member Posts: 1

I share opinion that these funny looking doors are not practical. There is no need to stand in the car, roof storage is important to all of us who are used to wagons and suvs, and if it is that good why do all doors not open as falcon wing? I am concerned about picture at Tesla site where a model X is with open doors in a garage and if not centered right the door opener in the ceiling would have hit one of the doors. Reminds of some of commercials by insurance companies where roof items hit the garage doors.