Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Loose Lug Nut Recall - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Nissan
imageLoose Lug Nut Recall - 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Long-Term Road Test

A handful of 2014 Nissan Rogue crossovers have been recalled because a loose lug nut could lead to wheel separation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I'm thinking maybe owners would be better off just looking up the spec for lug nut torque and tightening or having the corner garage tighten them to that spec. Certainly easier than calling the 800 number and taking it to a Nissan dealer.

• diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156

Yup, torque spec for tightening the lug nut is in the manual. But then again, some owners cannot be bothered to open their manuals. They won't have time to open the manual but they can make time to go to the dealer and wait for 1 hour.

• g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89

A useable 1/2" drive torque wrench with a lifetime warranty is $9.99 at Harbor Freight with a coupon. As diigii noted, no time to open the manual but time to go to the dealer. You could torque all the lug nuts to spec in less than 5 minutes. BTW, 80 ft-lbs is the torque spec...

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Wait a minute. One lug nut torqued below spec plus four lug nuts torqued to spec shouldn’t be much of a problem. In my limited experience with such things (I drove around for a couple weeks with a missing lug nut once, and the lug nuts on the front-right tire of my last car loved to back out despite being torqued to spec) there was never any catastrophic failure or permanent damage. Maybe it is due to Nissan engineers specifying 80 ft-lb instead of 90 or 100 for example?