Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Traverse Stabilitrak/Traction Control problems

Comments

• sassyshamrocksassyshamrock Member Posts: 1

Had a near death experience because of the "Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Engine Power" last night. I have a 2011 Traverse and with no warning the Service Stabilitrak appeared on my dash and I lost power. Going from 45mph to under 20mph in a matter of seconds in heavy traffic. With all the posting on the various blogs of countless ppl having this experiencing this and no recall. I am extremely disappointed with Chevy/GM, what is it going to take a death in order for them to get in front of the problem and alert the public and do the right thing and recall the part???

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@sassyshamrock said:
    Had a near death experience because of the "Service Stabilitrak/Reduced Engine Power" last night. I have a 2011 Traverse and with no warning the Service Stabilitrak appeared on my dash and I lost power. Going from 45mph to under 20mph in a matter of seconds in heavy traffic. With all the posting on the various blogs of countless ppl having this experiencing this and no recall. I am extremely disappointed with Chevy/GM, what is it going to take a death in order for them to get in front of the problem and alert the public and do the right thing and recall the part???

Hello sassyshamrock,

We truly apologize that you recently experienced this issue with your Traverse. We would like the opportunity to further investigate this matter, and work towards seeking a possible resolution. If you would like our assistance, please PM us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• sullyjmrasullyjmra Member Posts: 3

So having the same issue on my 2011 Traverse. 53k miles, started 2 weeks ago, tonight I was driving in a snow storm, all the warning popped up and for the first time, dropped my speed to 15 mph! Dealership says I have to pay the diagnostic fee, and that the stabilitrak is NOT a warranty issue unless its the engine or Transmission, and thats said that it wouldn't happen. I have a case # already but that is not help as they also said its out of warranty unless it's the drive train. Very frustrated. I have had this vehicle for 17 month and already had the water pump recall done and now this. I can say I didn't think I would have these issues with a new vehicle. Already looking if I can trade it, may go back to Dodge.

Hey sullyjmra,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your Traverse. I would be happy to review your case with you. Please send an email with your case number or VIN to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A. Please also include your username.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care

@gmcustsvc said:
    Hey sullyjmra,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern with your Traverse. I would be happy to review your case with you. Please send an email with your case number or VIN to socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A. Please also include your username.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A.
    GM Customer Care

So, I did what you asked, however, no response. Just got the great estimate! Throttle body (like everyone else) $619.00!!!!!! Ridiculous!! You guys sure have some scam going on. This many problems yet nothing is done to help the LOYAL customers

• pnutt122pnutt122 Member Posts: 1

Just purchased a brand new 2013 Chevy Traverse in July 2013 with only 100 miles on it. We now have about 8,000 miles on it and we just received the error message about stability track, traction control off and reduced engine power. With no warning on the highway going 80 miles per hour there were three beeps and then the car jerked and seemed to power down. We did not lose complete power, but could not go over 40 miles per hour.

This is a $35,000 car! We have three small children and can't risk their life by driving this vehicle any more. We are taking it in on Monday to the dealer, but I am not going to talk to them about fixing but rather returning it. How can I return a shirt at Nordstrom for $80 that rips after a year and we are expected to pay for and possible end up not having a fix to a potentially deadly vehicle. Should the dealer not be interested in refunding us and taking this "Lemon" back GM can expect to be prepared for this making the local Chicago news and I'm sure many others.

After reading these posts I am already frustrated and have not even been to the dealer the first time.

If anyone has any positive updates on fixes to this issue, please let me know. We are now down to one drivable car for a family of 5!

• klxmklxm Member Posts: 1

Same thing happened to my 2010 Travy. Ding ding, stabilization track system needs repair and engine power dropped and I couldn't drive above 20mph. I was very scared. Husband took it to dealer and they said needed servicing because it had been a while so it was a performance issue. 3 weeks later same thing happened and took back to dealer and the throttle body was replaced.

They won't consider one issue a lemon. They replaced my throttle body last week at $619.00 on my 2011 that I bought in 2012. This is the third time in the shop since Nov. We just went on a pretty long trip and had no issues. If, when you start the vehicle, before putting it in drive, turn off the stabilatrak manually and there won't be any issues. That way you can still drive it, and won't have to worry about loss of power. Granted, you don't have the traction control but in most driving situations you don't really use it anyways. The dealer told me I could do this with no issues until they could get it in.

• jdh1985jdh1985 Member Posts: 1

I bought my 2011 Traverse exactly 30 days ago. It has a ton of miles on it, almost 72K. I took the dealer's aftermarket warrantee (Z-Max, which is supposed to cover nearly everything). Within the past two days, I have noticed a ridiculous vibration and whining/grinding noise when I turn in either direction at a slow speed. Needless to say, I am very frustrated. I traded in my 2008 Ford Escape which NEVER had ANY issues during the 85K miles I put on it for THIS???

During my test drive of this vehicle, I felt the wheel pulling to the right a bit and told the salesman (who rode along with me). He fed me some BS about how it could be the tire pressure or the condition of the road. I told him I thought it needed an alignment. He shrugged it off and never did anything about it. Shame on me for going through with the sale without demanding an alignment. This was at Mike Shaw Buick GMC in Colorado Springs, CO, by the way.

Now this... this whining/grinding and vibration while turning at slow speeds. I haven't had any messages pop up yet, nor have I had my vehicle lose power. However, I AM concerned that something is wrong with the Stabilitrak system (or the throttle body, after reading this forum). I'm now concerned about taking this vehicle on long trips, which is the sole reason for trading in my Ford for a vehicle with third-row seating - for MY KIDS who needed more room in the back seat while transporting them to their mom two states away (who I share custody with).

Also, after looking at my paperwork for the warrantee, I see that the dealer so kindly signed me up for the $200 deductable per visit option, and that I have to pay for diagnostics. I am FED UP already with GM. My dad RETIRED from GM in Michigan, and I should have known better than to buy another GM vehicle. I grew up in nothing but Chevy, Olds, & Buick, and I can't believe I thought they might have gotten their crap together.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance from GM on this matter. Being part of the GM family (my dad who worked for you guys for 20+ years), it would mean a lot. I really don't feel like dumping $300+ on a deductable and diagnostics into a vehicle I bought 30 days ago.

• mdi772mdi772 Member Posts: 1
    So my wife who is 9 months pregnant just had this issue for the 2nd time she was on the interstate when the car lost all power and the error message saying there was an issue with stabilitrak. She had to sit on the side of the road for an hour before I could get there. The first time they replaced the throttle body. This is crazy if you have a traverse sell it before it gets this issue if you are thinking about buying a GM product don't . This is coming from someone who would only buy GM. I have a 1994 Chevy pickup I bought brand new and a 2005 pontiac bonneville.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496

One has to wonder when will the recalls and lawsuits regarding stabilitrak/reduced engine power issues hit GM. This problem affects many of their models over at least the past five years. With the focus on GM now regarding the failed ignition switches in the Cobalt models, it is just a matter of time before GM gets in more hot water with this problem. How many people have been injured (or God forbid killed) because of their vehicles stalling or dropping speed suddenly because of this failure?

• traverse2012traverse2012 Member Posts: 1

I just had the same problem last night with my 2012 Traverse all of the sudden. So, I searched and I found this subject on this forum and many, many other forums. I have spent the last few hours reading all of these posts on here and on other sites. Here is what I have gotten out of it:

This exact problem has been going on for many years and with many Chevy models, not just the Traverse. Many consumers have spent hundreds and thousands of dollars taking their vehicle to the dealerships several times to have several things done or replaced...and they are still having this problem. Some thought it was solved by replacing the Throttle Body only to have the problem come back after some time. GM has a TSB #11273 for this problem that only includes some years, not 2012 through current, yet I see reports of this problem being reported for brand new 2014's. GM is playing stupid and avoiding this like the plague, hoping that we will all write our little posts about the same issue, read it, not find an answer, just feel like we're “not alone”, shrug our shoulders, and accept the fact that we are screwed.

First of all, if you are the owner of a vehicle that is less than a year old, you are in a much better place. Check your state's Lemon Law. You would be very wise to go to the dealership and let them replace this and that as many times as needed to comply with the law. Do make sure that your visits are documented proving that you were there for the same reason each time and that each visit is counted separately showing that GM failed to fix the same problem over and over. The Lemon Law will allow you to get out of that vehicle and recover the costs and get into something hopefully better and safer. If you are like some of the rest of us who haven't had this defect show up until after the vehicle is over a year old...we can either sit here like a bunch of modern day sheep and say “oh well, I guess I have to accept what is being fed to me” or we can do what previous generations have done and say “No. I don't accept this. As a consumer, I demand to be treated fairly.” This would mean actually taking action. Do you know that after I read all of these posts all over the internet, I went to the website for the NHTSA, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/, and I see ONE, only ONE mention of this issue from a consumer. The NHTSA is supposedly responsible for launching investigations based on numbers of complaints. I don't know if it will work, but shouldn't we try? GM is reading these forums and laughing all the way to the bank while we can't afford to keep our vehicles on the road due to a defect that GM needs to take responsibility for. If you think writing in this forum is somehow going to force GM to do the right thing, it isn't.

As just another middle class person, that funded GM's bailout along with the rest of you, I'm asking you to take a moment to get your complaint on the NHTSA website and other sites that might actually make a difference. The numbers matter. We have to get this on record and seen by the right people so that GM can't deny their knowledge of it.

I know I can't afford to throw thousands of dollars away on this Traverse just to go through the motions and still have a defective vehicle. It sickens me to read that so many of you have had to do it, not to mention the danger we are putting ourselves in when we drive ourselves and loved ones around with this going on. Isn't the danger and money worth taking action?

• jlg7jlg7 Member Posts: 16

Interested on anyone's thoughts in the is post who have had the stabilitrak/reduced power error to see if you think it could have anything to do with the ignition switch recalls??? All of us have experienced this reduced power without warning while driving, and each one of us was extremely lucky not to have been killed in what happened in our cases. Makes you wonder if it should include the Traverse in the recalls??? Just wondering everyone's thoughts are. Thanks!!!

• 2014lisa2014lisa Member Posts: 1

I have a 2009 Traverse and in just a little over a week have had the car in the shop 3 times. They have replaced 2 different sensors. 1st being what they said told the traction control which direction my car was going, the second how much car was "tilting or tipping" got it back on Friday, Just to have to drop it off again late Saturday morning.. They scanned it to tell me it was the same codes coming up. PLEASE explain to me why they can't fix this. I have 2 children and an now not comfortable driving my car. Everything I read shows this is a know problem. So, Fix it. When I called to tell them I was bringing it back in I spoke with the same person who has been handling this all along. I told he this needs to get fixed. And his answer to me was something along the lines of I know it is upsetting but we are Trying to fix it. Well, DON'T try fix it. And we bought 2 cars from this place. Geez..

• bvonadabvonada Member Posts: 1

I wish I would have found this forum before buying a used 2011 Traverse 3 days ago with 54800 miles on it roughly 300 miles later I encountered the Stabilitrak/Traction Control warnings and loss of power. I was wondering if this is covered under GM 5year or 100,000 mile warranty of drivetrain and what a sure fix is since some say throttle body or sensors. I don't want to risk the lives of my 2yr old and 4week old baby, does anybody have any input or opinions??

Helo bvonada,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with the Stabilitrack/Traction control warnings and loss of power in your 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. We would be happy to look further into this for you and contact your dealership on your behalf. Please send email to socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya with your full contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealership. We look forward to assisting you further!

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• smoreno1smoreno1 Member Posts: 1

Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated I too, have this same problem with my 2011 Traverse!!! I am so afraid to drive my car with my 5 children, it did this to me 4 times already on the freeway, and everytime I take it to the dealership they say nothing shows up for codes so they just end up resetting it and that it should be "nothing" but "if it should do it again then it looks as if its going to be the throttle" this last time I was on the left hand lane when it happened and had to cross 3 lanes to get to safe spot to pull over on the freeway. It's not fair that GM is doing nothing to fix this problem when its obvious its going on, and I have worked to hard to pay for this car and I was sooo proud of my choice, NOW I just wish I had never even looked at Chevy for my car needs, I will never buy another chevy ever again!!!!! I will be trading this thing in, but it sure sucks to have to start all over again.

edited May 2014

@smoreno1 said:
    Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated I too, have this same problem with my 2011 Traverse!!! I am so afraid to drive my car with my 5 children, it did this to me 4 times already on the freeway, and everytime I take it to the dealership they say nothing shows up for codes so they just end up resetting it and that it should be "nothing" but "if it should do it again then it looks as if its going to be the throttle" this last time I was on the left hand lane when it happened and had to cross 3 lanes to get to safe spot to pull over on the freeway. It's not fair that GM is doing nothing to fix this problem when its obvious its going on, and I have worked to hard to pay for this car and I was sooo proud of my choice, NOW I just wish I had never even looked at Chevy for my car needs, I will never buy another chevy ever again!!!!! I will be trading this thing in, but it sure sucks to have to start all over again.

Hello smoreno1,

We recognize your frustration and we're sorry to hear that you feel your family is at risk driving your Chevrolet Traverse. If there is anything we can do to try and assist with your concerns we are happy to do so. Please private message us your VIN, full contact information, mileage and dealership name if interested.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• k9bredrk9bredr Member Posts: 2

Stabiltrak/Traction Control/No Accelaration AND my power door locks will flick up and down constantly while driving! Can't drive highway speeds--flooring it got me to 52mph. 2012 CHEVY TRAVERSE

• k9bredrk9bredr Member Posts: 2

It has been at the dealer now for 2 days. Getting a new TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE....whatever that is....we shall see.

Hello k9bredr,

We are truly sorry to hear of the concerns you are experiencing with your 2012 Chevrolet Traverse. I see you mentioned that your vehicle is currently at the dealership getting a new transmission control module. Please keep us updated on the progress of repairs for your concerns. If any additional assistance is needed, you are welcome to reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya.

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• wifeof35wifeof35 Member Posts: 2

Hi, I see I have the same issues as everyone else. Took my 2012 Traverse to the dealer this week with Stabilitrak/loss of power issues(59,000). Got 2 sensors changed. Picked up the vehicle and within 2 hours the engine light was back on! Dealer called to check on my repair and I told them the light was back on, dropped it off again last night. We will see what they say today. I told them 2 times now that I have researched and found this Traverse forum about the issues with these vehicles. They just look at me like I am crazy and they act like they know nothing about it. There is no way my vehicle is the only one they have encountered with this issue. They know there is a problem and so does GM and GM chooses to do nothing about it. Best part is when I talked to them they tried to charge me $600 for the replacement of the sensors but when my husband talked to them they were covered under the warranty and I only had to pay $100.00 deductible. I guess we will see what they are going to try and charge me today. Very frustrated and ready to give up on American made products.

• wifeof35wifeof35 Member Posts: 2

Well the dealer just called me and said it is a bad catilac converter. I asked if it was covered and they said yes. So hears hoping when the part comes in on monday that it is still a warranty free charge.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Cats are usually covered by the separate emissions warranty, which is 8 years, 80,000 miles most everywhere but California. Here's hoping that a new one fixes it.

We are sorry to hear you feel this way based on your current situation. I understand how frustrating it is to have to return to the dealership for repairs. Please keep us posted once you hear back from your dealership! If any assistance is needed on our end, please send us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with your contact information and VIN.

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• cupateech3cupateech3 Member Posts: 1

Hello everyone-I guess you're welcoming another GM vehicle owner and taxpayer who is having problems with the stabilitrak/traction control on a 2011 Chevy Traverse. As I was driving home yesterday (luckily I wasn't on the highway and was on a local road near my home-if it had been a few days earlier, my family and were on a number of highways in NY, NJ, & Pennsylvania while on vacation-ugh the thoughts of what could have happened frighten me to my core!) my Traverse lost power as I was turning into our development. Luckily for me I was driving at a high rate of speed and I was able to maintain control of the vehicle and get it pulled over to the side of the road. I got a message on my DIC (Diver Information Console) that said "reduced engine power" and "service stabilitrak/traction control off". I'm so happy that my wife or my my son (who's just got his permit and is learning to drive) weren't behind the wheels because they would have panicked! I called AAA and the service tech came out and checked battery & fuel pump because they said it seemed like car wasn't getting fuel, but all was okay. Then they saw the message too, and then ran a computer check with their handheld device that showed 18 error codes! Mind you my vehicle had just passed NY State inspection at the dealership where I purchased it 1 day before we left for vacation which was on July 30th! Why in the hell wasn't any of this detected then?? Anyways I called my own personal trusted mechanic who has his own shop and formerly worked for Firestone (but left because he could not stand how they consistently shafted people) but he was away on vacation. I then called the GM dealership service department at a local dealer who quickly told me that there was a possibility that my vehicle may get looked at next Tuesday because they are super booked, but even that couldn't be guaranteed. So I had to go with the recommendation of the AAA service tech and had the car towed to another reputable local shop. Then we had a nightmare of a car rental agency not wanting to honor the confirmed reservation that our AAA travel agent had already put into their system-that finally was taking care of but that another cost for us on top of anything else we will have to shell out! In the meantime I got on the internet and began to research the stabilitrak service message that showed up and that led me to a large number of sites (chevroletforum.com, traverseforum.com, lemonlaw.com) and eventually to this one. When I read through all of the complaints I began to panic because my vehicle is several years old (I purchased it used with about 10K miles on it) my 3 yr bumper to bumper was up, and that our income was cut in half because my wife is the only one bringing in a steady income because as a teacher I don't have income over the summer other than from odd jobs&. I saw suggestions to contact both GM & Chevy and site the fact that there is quite a documented history of customers having serious issues with this vehicle malfunction, and I did so. After being on the phone for quite awhile and having to firm restate everything over several times I was able to convince Chevy to give me a case file #, and they agreed cover the fee to have my vehicle towed from the facility where it was initially towed to a local GM dealership where they say they will cover the first hour of diagnostic testing, as well as the cost for rental vehicle while the car is being repaired. I pray that this matter is quickly resolved and that the problem is correctly diagnosed and the repair is correct. I will keep everyone posted.
    Totally unhappy GM/Chevy customer and taxpayer who helped to bail out GM.

• caddman1caddman1 Member Posts: 2

I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ with 20,000 miles. I bought it new in 4/2013
    It is at the dealer now with the same problem.
    I get a message Traction Control off/Traction Control on, Loss of power and Door chimes dinging, Check engine light flashing for about 10 seconds. The last time I almost got hit by a truck on the Interstate. I am so frustrated, It does it about once a month. The dealer says no error codes and cant find anything wrong.
    The A/C is also hissing and blowing smoke out the defrost but they can't duplicate that problem either.

• caddman1caddman1 Member Posts: 2

If anyone has found a fix, please report back. Ive seen throttle body, Transmission Control Module, Catilac Converter, Sensors.

Hi caddman1,

We'd like to gather your information so we can document your concerns within our database. Can you please private message us your VIN, dealership name and full contact information? We're sorry the dealership has been unable to duplicate this issue. Feel free to also send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com referencing your screen name.

Thank you,
    Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@caddman1 said:
    If anyone has found a fix, please report back. Ive seen throttle body, Transmission Control Module, Catilac Converter, Sensors.

• kheb511kheb511 Member Posts: 1

Same problem here. Nearly rear ended on the highway after losing power. Had my 2011 traverse towed to the dealership. They said debris was found on a wheel sensor, cleaned all sensors, and was good to go. Picked it up and didn't even make it 1/4 mile down the road before the "service stabilitrak/service traction control" message came back on. Now they're saying they don't know whats causing it, but theres a soft spot on the wheel hub and it needs to be replaced and are hoping that will fix it.... Hoping. I need more than hope.... at this point, I don't feel safe putting my family in this vehicle.

@kheb511 said:
    Same problem here. Nearly rear ended on the highway after losing power. Had my 2011 traverse towed to the dealership. They said debris was found on a wheel sensor, cleaned all sensors, and was good to go. Picked it up and didn't even make it 1/4 mile down the road before the "service stabilitrak/service traction control" message came back on. Now they're saying they don't know whats causing it, but theres a soft spot on the wheel hub and it needs to be replaced and are hoping that will fix it.... Hoping. I need more than hope.... at this point, I don't feel safe putting my family in this vehicle.

Hello kheb511,

I am sorry that you've been experiencing these concerns with your vehicle. We'd like the opportunity to look further into this and reach out to your deaelrship on your behalf. If you'd like, you can reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with Attn:Andraya in the subject line to discuss this further.

Best,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• stffanimalstffanimal Member Posts: 1

I had the exact same thing happen to me four times since Feb. 2014. My 2011 Traverse which was bought with 25 miles on it is now in the shop again. This is the 4th time. I am contacting GM tomorrow and the first time this happened the truck only had 34,000 miles. I think the lemon law comes into play here now matter what anyone is saying. There is a serious issue here.

edited September 2014

State lemon laws are weird and too much time may have passed. But you could always make a failure of warranty type claim and a lemon lawyer could advise you on that.

But I'd hold those cards under the table for a while. Since you've complained about this issue three times before (and during the warranty period I assume), GM may indeed do something for you. I'm assuming you're technically out of warranty now for this issue?

This article may help:

The Secret Warranty

Hello stffanimal,
    Our sincerest apologies that you've had to return to the dealership for service with no resolve. Please let us know if we can further investigate this matter and work towards a resolution with your dealership. We're available via private message or email at socialmedia@gm.com. With all inquiries, please include VIN, full contact information, exact mileage and preferred service center.

Thank you

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@stffanimal said:
    I had the exact same thing happen to me four times since Feb. 2014. My 2011 Traverse which was bought with 25 miles on it is now in the shop again. This is the 4th time. I am contacting GM tomorrow and the first time this happened the truck only had 34,000 miles. I think the lemon law comes into play here now matter what anyone is saying. There is a serious issue here.

• friedchixfriedchix Member Posts: 3

COMPLETE, NO WARNING, ENGINE LOST POWER:

Yesterday, I was nearly killed when my 2014 Chevy Traverse LOST All Engine power. No warnings, no sounds, lights went off for "tracktion control" while the engine lost power. I nearly escaped an accident on a busy NJ highway. I am in shock. Isn't this what happened with these cars losing engine power???

My Traverse was purchased in January. After I drove it off the lot, we had the light go off for "Traction control." They "repaired" the matter, claiming it was a computer chip error. I should have returned it back then.

Months later, same issue- and I was almost killed yesterday. The car is now at a Chevy dealer. I will not put my young children back in this death trap. I want my money back. I am very angry. I work hard for my money and drove a car for 10 years without one incident. My new traverse, almost killed me and my spouse yesterday. I filed a complaint with the National highway safety board. Everyone file a complaint. This is a death trap. Go to safercar.gov Thanks for this forum!

• friedchixfriedchix Member Posts: 3

www.safercar.gov - everyone needs to report this problem and file a complaint. SAVE LIFES because GM doesn't care.

I don't know that the NHTSA cares either. Took them long enough to force the ignition switch recall.

• gundukegunduke Member Posts: 1
    WOW! I am amazed. How can GM not see there is a problem here? I have taken my 2011 Chevy Traverse in multiple times in the past 2 years to solve the Stabilitrak issue. First they replaced the throttle body. After 2 weeks the warning lights went off again. I was told it was the brake sensors. After replacing those it only took 2 days for the warning to reappear. It was clear upon my return to the dealership the service department was at a loss. The service manager with no other options then had the Stabilitrak rewired. Since then the Stabilitrak warning light has gone off maybe 10 times. I have learned to just pull the car over and turn the car off. The Stabilitrak resets. This of course is pretty dangerous when you are on the highway. I am convinced it will take several innocent people to die before GM responds. Just an FYI- The hazard light switch in on the center console. Good luck!
    gunduke said:

WOW! I am amazed. How can GM not see there is a problem here? I have taken my 2011 Chevy Traverse in multiple times in the past 2 years to solve the Stabilitrak issue. First they replaced the throttle body. After 2 weeks the warning lights went off again. I was told it was the brake sensors. After replacing those it only took 2 days for the warning to reappear. It was clear upon my return to the dealership the service department was at a loss. The service manager with no other options then had the Stabilitrak rewired. Since then the Stabilitrak warning light has gone off maybe 10 times. I have learned to just pull the car over and turn the car off. The Stabilitrak resets. This of course is pretty dangerous when you are on the highway. I am convinced it will take several innocent people to die before GM responds. Just an FYI- The hazard light switch in on the center console. Good luck!

Hi gunduke,

We're very sorry to hear you've had to deal with intermittent Stabilitrak issues with your Chevy Traverse. We understand how this has been both inconvenient and frustrating and we do apologize. If you'd like to set up a formal service request, we'll gladly document your concerns within our database. Please private message us your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership name if interested. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• jcurt84jcurt84 Member Posts: 1

I purchased a brand new 2014 Equinox almost 3 months ago.  The car now has just 2,500 miles on it.  Today, the engine lost power and I received the Stabilitrak warning, along with the ABS warning and the service engine light.  While I was fortunate to not be on the interstate THIS time, I was still traveling down a very busy road and struggled to get over when the car lost power.  THIS IS ABSURD.  I called the dealer - Don Moore Chevrolet in Owensboro, KY - to get the car in.  The person I spoke with immediately brushed this off as, and I quote, "something that probably resolved itself".  While I shouldn't speak ahead of my appointment, this comment hasn't left me feeling very confident.  This car was purchased NEW and there should be nothing to resolve at 2,500 miles.  I am so disappointed and frustrated already.  I made the decision to pay $25K for a new car to avoid the concerns with driving an unsafe car.  And now, after reading these posts, it seems as though I have just purchased a very expensive death trap.  The dealer will look at the car on Thursday and I'll update with the findings.  I refuse to accept that the matter "resolved itself." I frequently travel on the interstate and this is a VERY SERIOUS issue, which I am concerned will happen when traveling at higher rates of speed and in much heavier traffic.  I was fortunate enough today that I was able to get off the road when the car lost power at 50-55MPH.

edited September 2014
    I'm not too thrilled with how the NHTSA handled the ignition switch debacle, but it's still worth it to file a complaint at safercar.gov. Emphasize the safety aspect - you're right about it being a serious issue.

And you may as well investigate the lemon law requirements in your state in case the issue doesn't "resolve itself".
  • jonesy03jonesy03 Member Posts: 1
    gunduke said:

I have A 2010 Chevy traverse. The Chevy dealer had me replace the throttlebody which did not fix the problem on my traverse. The service stability track and traction control light still comes on all the time. I just noticed a few days ago GM issued a recall only on the 2014's that the chassis control module needs to be replaced. So I googled what does the chassis control module control in  a car and it stated the electronic stability track and the traction control and ABS. This is what needs to be replaced on all the Chevy models and this is what is causing the traction control lights and service stability track lights to come on. They charged me $800 for a throttlebody which never fix the problem. GM should be ashamed of themselves with all the reports out there on all the models with the same issue service stability track and traction control lights coming on. I'm ready to slap a lawsuit. I guess it's going to take a death before they issue a recall on all their models having this same issue. 

• vargastvargast Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    we just ran into the same issue with our 2011 traverse. We brought it into the shop yesterday and they cleaned the throttle body. We drove it 7 miles home, my wife drove 14 miles to work. when she started to drive the 3 miles to pick up my daughter it acted up again. She shut the vehicle off after getting to where my daughter was at. It appeared to reset itself and no codes or service engine lights were on when she started it back up. Half way home going 55 MPH on a busy road the issue happened again the the reduce engine power happened. The vehicle slowed to 20 very fast and she could not speed up. the traffic behind her almost hit her. there was nothing she could do. there was litterally under 30 miles since we left the dealer and the vehicle is no longer safe to drive. I would like to open a case with GM. My wife and daughter were almost hit today due to this issue. Knowing there was a recall for the 2010 traverse, I can't believe this hasn't been moved to the 2011 model. Has anyone had a real solution for this that has lasted?
  • 4littleones4littleones Member Posts: 1
    I;m so upset reading all of this..... I went to Walmart today and this message was on my dash about the stabilitrak I had no clue what it meant and had my 5 yr old and 1 yr old with me..So let me get into a little more detail I owned two cars in my life my very first car I worked my but of and bought a brand new 2003 Chevy Malibu.. Was a pretty good car until I paid it off warranty was done then all kinds of issues all that money wasted.. Then I get a brand new 2009 traverse well guess what I did paid it off almost a year early and now this showed up today I had other issues and recalls too a few things it had to go back for I tried to stand up to my husband and tell him Chevy is all I ever want but with four kids and reading all of this and seeing I most likely will get now where I'm so disgusted....All the money I wasted and time at work when I could have been with my kids..I will be calling the dealership and seeing if they will do anything.. I still dont know what I'm going to do about work because if it shuts off or slowes down I'm done I travel with a much of tractor trailers yay me
  • ea78ea78 Member Posts: 2
    Same problem here. 2010 Traverse with about 74K. So scary to have the car lose power on a very busy road with my kids in the back. I barely got the car home--had to turn it off and restart at every intersection. Dealer is telling us it's the throttle body. $650 plus tax to repair. I called Chevy who did nothing to help. When I mentioned this forum, she told me she could not verify anything I saw online. Interesting since every so often a customer service rep from chevy makes a comment in this forum. I now have the case moved up to GM corporate and we'll see.  At this point no one will admit that this is a known problem.  Second major issue I've had with this car. Luckily last was covered by a recall, but was also a situation in which the car was not drivable.  In the meantime, I'll be driving my 2004 Toyota Highlander with 109K miles that has never given us a single major problem. 

I just hope GM takes notice before someone has a horrible accident.  Would be nice for a company to do the right thing BEFORE they get sued...
  • onaklonakl Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Traverse just had the traction light and lost power yesterday and after seeing all the complaints for this exact problem, I am to say the very least highly iratated, I think a Class Action Law suit would be the thing to to do
    vargast said:

we just ran into the same issue with our 2011 traverse. We brought it into the shop yesterday and they cleaned the throttle body. We drove it 7 miles home, my wife drove 14 miles to work. when she started to drive the 3 miles to pick up my daughter it acted up again. She shut the vehicle off after getting to where my daughter was at. It appeared to reset itself and no codes or service engine lights were on when she started it back up. Half way home going 55 MPH on a busy road the issue happened again the the reduce engine power happened. The vehicle slowed to 20 very fast and she could not speed up. the traffic behind her almost hit her. there was nothing she could do. there was litterally under 30 miles since we left the dealer and the vehicle is no longer safe to drive. I would like to open a case with GM. My wife and daughter were almost hit today due to this issue. Knowing there was a recall for the 2010 traverse, I can't believe this hasn't been moved to the 2011 model. Has anyone had a real solution for this that has lasted?

If you'd like to send your VIN, mileage, and contact information via private message we will gladly open a case for you, vargast. We understand this matter has become extremely frustrating and we do apologize. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber] if you'd prefer to discuss this matter via email. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    onakl said:

My 2010 Traverse just had the traction light and lost power yesterday and after seeing all the complaints for this exact problem, I am to say the very least highly iratated, I think a Class Action Law suit would be the thing to to do

Have you already mentioned this to your dealership, onakl? We understand you're upset and apologize for your trouble. Please know we're here to help if you'd like our assistance. We're available via private message or email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Thank you
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • ea78ea78 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    I think everyone here really should file a complaint with NHTSA.   This IS a safety issue. I was able to get repair costs reduced (minimally) by working with GM corporate, but they are missing the point. They need to issue a recall to prevent this from happening to other drivers.   Even if you've already fixed your vehicle , PLEASE go to NHTSA and file a complaint!!!  It is unacceptable that GM knows of this and is sitting on their hands. Our service person at the dealership admitted that he sees this all the time!

I;m so upset reading all of this..... I went to Walmart today and this message was on my dash about the stabilitrak I had no clue what it meant and had my 5 yr old and 1 yr old with me..Then I get a brand new 2009 traverse well guess what I did paid it off almost a year early and now this showed up today I had other issues and recalls too a few things it had to go back for I tried to stand up to my husband and tell him Chevy is all I ever want but with four kids and reading all of this and seeing I most likely will get now where I'm so disgusted....All the money I wasted and time at work when I could have been with my kids..I will be calling the dealership and seeing if they will do anything.. I still dont know what I'm going to do about work because if it shuts off or slowes down I'm done I travel with a much of tractor trailers yay me

We hate to hear this happened with your 2009 Traverse, 4littleones. Your loyalty is of utmost importance to us at Chevrolet and we definitely understand the importance of having a reliable vehicle for your family. We understand you're planning to call the dealership for assistance which we most certainly suggest. However, please contact us via private message if you need any assistance working with the dealership. We're more than happy to explore repair options on your behalf.

Thanks
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care