Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Not really a rental, but my loaner from Escondido Audi to get my S4's FREE 5,000 mile service is an very nice new 2014 Audi All-Road. Better than any rental Enterprise or Hertz could come up with at a non-Airport location. Quattro, the excellent 2.0T with a great 8 speed slushbox. The 8 speed felt good, better than Lexus' at least. Still, the dual clutch 7-speed is in another league all together.

Wish I'd of gotten this for the track, but loaners are not rented out. You have to be getting work done on your car.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,057

To me, that commercial with Lawrence Fishburne and the K-900 is the most cloying car commercial out there now. Let's see how many times he can say "luxury".

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,099
    edited May 2014

Loaners are an interesting thing. For a long time my local MB dealer had Enterprise cars - people would sometimes get a PT Cruiser or something - not going to win favor that way. Then they moved up and Enterprise was supplying C-class. Now the loaners are in-house, a fleet of various C-class (many not base cars), some base looking E sedans and coupes, and elsewhere I have read S-class drivers can get a CLS loaner. I think BMW dealer uses X1-3 and 3-5ers, Lexus has a bunch of IS and RX (when the HS flopped, those all went to loaners, but are retired now), Audi has A3-4-6 Q5 maybe Allroad too...I wonder what you get at Porsche.

The worst "luxury" ad was the Acura guy in his luxury house with luxury sugar in his luxury coffee etc, good way to sell a 60K car that looks like a 4:3 scale Accord. I haven't seen the Kia ad yet, sound like a laugh.

Local Budget/Avis had a grand total of 3 actual cars this morning (they usually have about 10-15) - Mazda 2, old Impala, Malibu. The rest were trucks and minivans. I saw an XTS rental on the road, too.

I saw on a German site that an S Bluetec Hybrid has been spotted in the Sixt fleet - another cool weirdo car that isn't meant for this market.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953

Made numerous trips to Ft. Lauderdale airport Monday and Tuesday to get HLE vehicles since our offices are doing a lot of business. Some new hire's will be joining us soon so I have changed my schedule a bit...will work Wednesday thru Friday with rotating Saturdays. I will no longer be low man on the poll and do not want to work every Saturday if possible and having Sunday through Tuesday off will give me more flexibility on what I want to do since they want us to stay around the 24 hour mark. Mentioned that I might want to go back to the long distance again and have gotten negative feedback from family on this so the jury is still out. Not sure my spine can handle that again. A real shame that they cut us down from 30 hours since that was the perfect amount of work hours I wanted. Time will tell here as to what will happen!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

See or drive anything interesting lately, sandman?

Local Budget/Avis was overflowing with normal cars today, nothing interesting - most noteworthy a Mazda 5 and a Mustang.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

@nippononly said:
    love to sell the insurance, don't they?

Actually, the only time I haven't had the hard sell on insurance is when I rent from my local Enterprise. But I am a regular there, so maybe since I never get the insurance they have just given up on that score, eh? I still get friendly treatment, quick service, and what I think is a good price. And the Enterprise cars I have had have always been fairly new and in good condition.

Rented once recently from National/Alamo (my Enterprise was out of minivans) and had no problem myself; however, when I came back another guy (who didn't buy the insurance) was getting raked over the coals upon returning his rental, because the front underbody air dam was partially ripped off. One look at the thing and it was clear this damage was way older than anything this guy could have done, but it made no difference - they were insisting on charging his credit card for the full price of body repair and threatening to sue. First and last time I will ever rent at National/Alamo.

In order for some rental company not to scam me in that manner, I walk around the car and take pictures of it at every angle and of any existing damage and clearly point it out to the person doing the walk-around with me. Enterprise tried to scam my wife in this mannet until we found paperwork in the vehicle from a previous renter that noted the damage they tried to pin on my wife. She will never rent from Enterprise again.

Enterprise is notorious for nit-picking their way into a damage claim. Always inspect thoroughly upon delivery. For longer rentals, the Amex premium coverage is great - I think it's $25 for up to 30 days or something - and that's not per day, but for the rental period.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

". For longer rentals, the Amex premium coverage is great"

That's through American Express? Do you have to call and buy it from them?

You sign up so when you rent with the card, it is automatic. Here's a link

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2014

Oh I see....you file first with AMEX, to avoid a possible jack in your premiums if you make a claim on your own insurance. Doesn't cover liability however.

Yes, it's rental supplement insurance, you need to have your own liability. Still a lot cheaper than the stuff the agencies offer, and would save you if they seek out a hairline scratch upon return.

At Hertz, we have a special form to indicate damage that the agent goes over with the client and then they both sign off on it and both sides have copies just in case a later problem arises. I did it with a few customers and I was more picky then they were actually and a couple said it was no big deal! When I rent, it is a big deal so I go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. Even when I was long distance driving a few months back, I showed the chase driver "everything" and they usually rolled their eyes when it was my turn but what the hell, I wanted my [non-permissible content removed] covered! Even when I was accused of causing damage last year, I made it a point to put on the accident form that there was no way I could have done that damage especially with the rust in there. Of course, they finally had to agree with me since there was rust and we all know it doesn't rust over in 5 minutes! Point being folks, do your due diligence when renting any vehicle and take the extra time to document everything no matter how long it takes.
    Busy day today with 45 reservations but it is a holiday weekend...and minivans were at a premium. We made multiple airport runs to get the needed inventory. Since I'm at an HLE location, most of our vehicles are higher mileage unless a customer drops off a vehicle from another location. So haven't driven that much that was interesting. And right now, I have no plans to go back to the long distance driving anytime soon as it's just too hard on my spine but if they call me and I am off from Hertz, of course I'd go! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Sandman, I'm Hertz Gold, but generally pick up at airports. No one shows me anything. Just go to the slot number, check out the car and then deal with some rent a cop at the exit. However, so far Hertz has never tried any nickel and dime crap on me. I once was picking up a car that wouldn't start and darn, it took me over half an hour to find someone at Hertz to help. Granted it was a night flight arrival, but the operation is 24 hours. Can't recall anymore where, I think either SEA or LAS.

HLE's, Hertz's Local Edition, are a whole different animal and mimic the local Enterprise offices in their entirety I think with the lower prices and the pick up/take home feature. From what I hear, the airport prices are always a bit higher but another option is to go to Dollar/Thrifty...owned by Hertz now but seem to charge less. We supply vehicles to the local offices when needed from my location. Just curious, do you take out their insurance or just use your own?

A quick question to y'all who rent vehicles for business or whatever. Do y'all take out the Hertz insurance or use your personal auto insurance? Since I am a driver, I don't get to hear the sales pitch but I do remember using our own the last time I rented a vehicle even though they put on the full court press to get me to purchase theirs. I know it adds to the bottom line of the rental, but just wondering if folks actually take it out. Have never heard any stories about folks who don't and then have an accident...wonder how that actually works?

I never use the rental company insurance in the US - for shorter term rentals I just live on the edge with my own insurance, for longer term, I use the Amex insurance.

When in Europe, I usually get rental company insurance, just for peace of mind.

The agents are in a sales role and no doubt get commission, so they are going to try to convince you. It's nice for peace of mind, but sometimes pricey. I think for most people, your personal insurance would cover it just like it would your own car.

In rental car news, I saw a Legacy at the local Avis/Budget - a model maybe only seen in PNW fleets.

@sandman_6472 said:
    A quick question to y'all who rent vehicles for business or whatever. Do y'all take out the Hertz insurance or use your personal auto insurance? Since I am a driver, I don't get to hear the sales pitch but I do remember using our own the last time I rented a vehicle even though they put on the full court press to get me to purchase theirs. I know it adds to the bottom line of the rental, but just wondering if folks actually take it out. Have never heard any stories about folks who don't and then have an accident...wonder how that actually works?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2014

Anyone heard of Hertz's Firefly discount brand?

Me neither. Sounds like Hertz is stumbling a bit trying to split into two companies.

Shares Of Hertz Plunge On More Accounting Troubles (Forbes)

Meanwhile Uber is worth $17 billion. Go figure. (CNBC)

[edit] Pardon me, make that $18.2 billion. Looks like Hertz is worth 12.5 billion.

Yes, since I work for Hertz. When the bought out Dollar/Thrify, they had to do some things and sell some locations as I recall. They started Firefly as their cheapest rentals and they have off airport locations. The location at Ft. Lauderdale airport is right outside the airport property but they have shuttle buses to pick up customers. We also drop our turn backs, wholesale and body damaged vehicles in the same location but on the other side. Eventually ther will be more Firefly locations cropping up.

I rented from Sixt Ft. Lauderdale a couple years ago. I'll gladly take the shuttle and even tip the driver to dodge those airport fees.

Looking at my plans, I might not be renting any cars this year.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

Just rented a car in LA. An increasing part of the rental experience these days seems to be that the first car they hand over to you has something wrong with it, requiring a lengthy exchange process. Last time it was a Nissan Altima that kept slipping out of Drive. After 20 miles of driving it we took it back. This time a Jetta that reeked of cigarette smoke overlaid with the cleanser they used to try to disguise it. I'm not saying renting a car should be fun, but it is really annoying and time consuming.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Which company?

Renting a car should be kind of fun, just gotta go with the right category and company.

I remember at National ATL, I saw a Taurus with the smell disguiser - it was like someone emptied a can of lemon Pledge furniture polish in the car, I would have had a headache in 10 minutes.

I rented from National at LAX at the end of last year, no problems.

@suydam said:
    Just rented a car in LA.

Is National the one where you pick any car in a row and go? I may do that next time. For some reason I find LAX particularly bad for rentals.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268

Yes... National does that. I've had good luck with them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yep, National lets you pick from the "Emerald Aisle" for normal members/renters, and "Executive Selection" for frequent renters. I've found that with a premium reservation, I am able to talk to the agent and choose from the latter (which usually has nicer cars) even though I don't have status.

I see Sixt has a one way drive off deal, Florida to Atlanta. Keep the car for up to a week, $1/day. I saw that rate applied all the way up to the BMW X5 class. I'd almost be tempted to take an impulse trip, airfare is steep though.

A new driver has joined the ranks so no longer low man on the pole. Talked with boss and am now on a rotation for Saturday work as I only was doing it every week since I was the new guy and to keep the peace. Now that is no longer necessary and he was cool with it. So every other Saturday it is which will save me some toll and gas money and excess wear and tear since that'll be an extra 60 miles/week that I won't be driving every other week. Still debating about the other part time driving gig but my spinal issues aren't getting better which is why I haven't asked to come back. Bottom line is after working those 3/3.5 days, I am beat and very sore. The wife and kids have told me to just stay where I am and not push myself like I was because they don't want me to suffer exhaustion like I did the beginning of April and be in bed for almost a week again. And I do see their point...not sure if the extra $ is worth it all at this point and it was starting to not be as much fun as it once was. Plus the additional pain and the exhaustion does take it's toll and I am not getting any younger!

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

Work less and spend more time driving your Tucson for fun. Go see a drive-in movie in your Hyundai Tucson, sandman.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I spotted a rental 528i xDrive today, didn't look it over to see which company.

edited June 2014

Two rental experiences recently.
    Budget at LAX -- ghastly check-in, given a Jetta wagon reeking of smoke, lengthy exchange process during which we were told we would be charged more because there were no more of that class car on the lot -- or wait another 45 minutes for them to bring one. Manager's intervention required. Finally got a Toyota Corolla. It surprised me how nice a rental it turned out to be. Not a lot of power but enough for a 4 day trip. Really enjoyable and comfortable little car that got good fuel economy. So turned out well.

Alamo in Kona, Hawaii. Got a bare bones Mazda3. Not nearly as comfortable as the Corolla and lots of hard plastic everywhere. Seats surprisingly hard to adjust in any way that I couldn't feel comfortable. But it was a great handler on the curvy roads around the Big Island, tight turning radius which was extremely useful on more than one occasion, and good on gas as well.

I have to say I was surprised at both the comfort level of the Toyota and the discomfort level of the Mazda. But we did think the Mazda was a better vehicle in terms of handling and power for a 10 day trip over the varied terrain of the Big Island.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Sorry, the little ad covered up that typo so I didn't see it before posting -- "I couldn't feel comfortable". Can't anything be done to make those go away?

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Gotta pay the bills somehow. But you do have 4 hours to edit your post.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,034

@suydam - was the Mazda the current model? Auto journos love it but your impression is consistent with my understanding, that it is far from a pleasant drive day to day unless you love slashing through the curves.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I don't think so. I'm guessing maybe 2012? It had over 50,000 miles, and that's in Hawaii. I would like to see a nicer, newer version. I had a 323 back in the late 80s and loved it, but I was a lot younger then too!

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited June 2014

Been on the road a bit in the past few days, many rentals spotted. New Impala LT and LTZ, many Focus, Chrysler and Toyota vans, Camry and Corolla galore, Altimas, moderately equipped Soul, etc etc.

Also saw a loaded new Malibu rental - wheels, appears to have nav, leather, etc - I noticed it because I returned home to find it parked in my reserved spot. Oregon plates. Yay for dopes!

I've heard Hawaii can have some old rentals, like Town Cars still in the fleets.

This Mazda was only a couple of years old. I would not want to take a Town Car on the twisty roads of the south part of the Big Island! My daughter has rented a Soul now and then and loved it. I drove it around town. It was pretty nice and had lots of cargo room. Not as top heavy as some of that type.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Seriously considered a Soul as my d d back last year when I was looking but the 1st generation was just too noisey and didn't like the looks of the new one. The ingress/egress wasn't much better than my Civic so it was taken off the short list. Never got over to the Kia dealer to try out the Sportage but did like the '14 one that I drove at work awhile back. Looks better than it's Tuscon cousin though I hated the red colors used in the dashboard. The dealer also being across town was probably the final nail in the coffin because the Hyundai dealer is right across the street from where we live...a doable walk if I really had to.

At work, minivans are in great demand right now as is the Tahoe's and Suburban's but we are in the height of vacation time now. Last Friday we rented almost every vehicle we had and made multiple trips to the Miami Lakes location and Opa Locka airport to drop off vehicles. Folks are definitely renting right now be it for vacation or insurance claims which is a good economical sign. Folks aren't afraid to spend their money to go on vacation, a good thing, and just what the economy needs right now.

I recently read that the Acura RL-X has been spotted in the National fleet. Must be some old stock.

Rental cars full of germs - makes me feel better about the mini-detail I give cars when I rent.

My wacky Prius friend got hit and ran a few weeks ago, his car is in the shop now, and he has a rental. From Hertz, he first got a Maxima - he liked the speed but hated the mpg, and it was filthy, so he took it out to the airport for exchange. They first offered another Prius, he laughed. Then he was offered a C-Max, which he took, and seems to like. He mentioned the Seatac Hertz has Jaguars.

edited July 2014

Bet the keys/fobs are bad too. If you want to really enjoy your vacation, remember that the remote in your fancy hotel is likely nasty and often the "sealed" glasses were just rinsed and bagged.

That's why I like going camping in my own car - you get exposed to a better class of dirt. ;)

Drove a C-Max across the state awhile back and thought it was decent enough and even toyed with the idea about getting one as my d d. Liked the mileage and seating position but we're just not Ford people even though I was very close to pulling the trigger on a slightly used Escape when I bought last year. They had finally agreed to my terms but the wife was so unhappy about it that I had to pass...it just fit on my side of the garage and she was convinced that would be a big issue down the road. I listened and now, glad I did as my Tuscon fits with room to spare...and since I am the only driver of it 99.999% of the time, I needed to be happy with the purchase.

edited July 2014

"Rental car workers at Denver International Airport say pot tourists are regularly leaving them with marijuana that travelers don’t want to try to carry through DIA.

The rental car agencies have become something of a dumping ground for marijuana as Colorado’s pot tourists apparently know that they could be cited if they attempt to bring marijuana into the airport itself.

She said employees typically either throw out the product or turn it over to supervisors, “We try not to let it get to the car wash bay because those guys will take it.”

DIA Rental Car Agencies Now Dumping Grounds For Pot (CBS)

You'd be surprised what people leave in their rental vehicles...the majority of stuff is sunglasses, umbrella's or transponders for toll roads. We have a lost and found drawer for stuff and we try to call customers who leave things so they can come over to pick them up. We do our best to get the articles back to the customers whenever possible!

Getting a new schedule at work due to a few co-workers not showing up when they are supposed to. Asked my boss what days he wants me there and he said Mondays and Tuesdays are the busiest so I said I'm in. Will do rotating Saturdays and hoping to have Thursdays and Fridays off so will use Wednesday as the make up hours day in case I'm under the required 24. Am hoping to do more like 26 to 28 each week so we'll see...last few weeks have been over 30, so the checks have been very nice. At this point have given up the other gig unless they call and need an extra driver...I just prefer a regular schedule to be honest and started to hate the not knowing if they were going to call me or me being put on the "on call" status...I want to know exactly when I'm working so I can make as much as I can so we don't have to go into any retirement accounts for another 5 or so years. Figure I turn 60 this year and will work till 65 at this part time gig if they'll have me as it is the perfect job for me!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156

A couple of car rental notes...

First, my sister, brother-in-law and their 3 boys (16, 13 and 10) are in Orlando this week taking in the attractions. They were given a Ford Edge as their rental, which is smaller than what they drive at home, which is a Lincoln Navigator. My sister seems to like it well enough.

And, starting on 8/5, I'll be using Hertz Local Edition to supply me with transportation while my car is in the shop getting some body work done. I talked with the agent today and asked what I might expect. She said that at the rate the insurance company reimburses them, I can expect something like a Fiat 500. But, those are pretty rare in the small town I live in, so I might get upgraded to a Versa, Cruze or something similar.

We shall see.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

She said that at the rate the insurance company reimburses them, I can expect something like a Fiat 500.

While I love my insurance company, they only pay $30 a day towards a rental car. I always wind up out of pocket about $20 or $25 per day to get into something that my fat ___ will actually fit. B)

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

My daughter got a Buick Encore as a rental recently, driving from Philly to Ohio. She loved its comfort, size, and ease of parking and overall handling. It could use some more oomph when trying to merge onto freeways and going over the mountains, but did get pretty good mpg. I drove it around town some. It's very quiet for a small ute and very comfortable. First Buick I've been in for years. If I were looking at compact crossovers I would certainly put it on my drive list. Has anyone here tried it out and compared it to others such as the Forester, RAV 4, etc?

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Yes I did and I just didn't like the small 4 cylinder with the turbo to be honest...it just felt lacking when I tried to do some merging into traffic, that "oomph" was lacking so I decided to look at crossovers with a bit more power. Sure, there's a penalty in the mileage but I felt it was a good trade-off here. I also walked away from a Ford escape with the 1.6 engine with turbo with just 1818 miles on it for the same reason. The final decision came down to the Tuscon and the Outlander Sport since they were closest to the house and I never got over to the Kia or Nissan dealer though I had driven their products at work so was familiar with how they drove. If you ask me if I'd make the same choice again and honestly, not quite sure.