Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Problems galore

sggravessggraves Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet

I recently traded in my Traverse. Unfortunately, I had to take a loss and add part of what I owed on the next vehicle. But I was glad to do it to get out of the problems. I bought the Traverse as a used vehicle and was at first very pleased with the ride and the room. I wasn't to upset about the fuel. I bought mostly because I loved the look and the roominess. Shortly after purchase I experienced problems with the power steering loosing power at low speeds, such as turning in to parking spaces or turning corners while driving. The power steering pump eventually had to be replaced along with some other things the dealer found, because it started making a noise while backing up that sounded like I ran over a large metal object and felt like it to. What ever the dealership "fixed" didn't fix that problem. It also had intermittent problems with the stabilitrack system and loosing power. I lost power in the first ice storm of this season while driving home from Kansas City through some horrible ice and snow. BAD timing! NO TRACTION on slippery dangerous ice AND no power for much of the 2 days it took to get home, some of the time was due to the loss of power and traction. It also did the same on another trip with loss of power all the way. Thought I was going to need a tow. The dealership could not find out the problem and blamed it on the throttle body and wanted to replace it at MY expense. I did not, thinking the two had nothing in common and since it wasn't having the issue at the time. The NEXT thing was my transmission started to slip and could not get into gear. LAST STRAW. I RAN to the nearest Subaru dealer and traded it. So far... very pleased with the Subaru. I am NEVER buying another Chevy! This is meant to be a warning to those who are thinking about buying a Traverse. ADVICE....DON'T!

Comments

• rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115

How long did you keep the Traverse?

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

We've rented some of those Traverse and Acadia crossovers and really liked them. Thought about buying one until I dug in and researched the blogs. The problems like Stabilitrak never seem to get resolved by GM engineering. Not sure it's even fixed right in the current models? Pretty sad really.

• badhabit2badhabit2 Member Posts: 1
    Sggraves-I am having exactly the same problems you were having with your traverse, now. My mechanic changed the sensor, now the stabiltrak & traction systems lites are on, tranmission is slipping like yours. What is with the chevys?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@badhabit2 said:
    Sggraves-I am having exactly the same problems you were having with your traverse, now. My mechanic changed the sensor, now the stabiltrak & traction systems lites are on, tranmission is slipping like yours. What is with the chevys?

Hello badhabit2,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are also experiencing the StabiliTrak and traction control lights on your vehicle. I understand that your mechanic has been working to address these issues for you, but that you've also noticed your transmission slipping. If you decide to take your vehicle into a GM dealership for repair assistance, I'd be happy to stay involved throughout the process. Please feel free to private message us your VIN and contact information if we can be of assistance.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• smashlingsmashling Member Posts: 2

Bought this car in April 2010. First ever brand new car. First car that wasn't a Toyota. I was impressed by the commercials, the print ads and the consumer reports recommendation. Got a LT2 Travelers Edition with Navigation, bluetooth, remote start and other niceties. Loved the drive, loved the design, loved the space.

It had 53,000 as of today.

Have had issues from very early on. All the usual, Steering Rack, Acuator, Water Pump, had to replace both the front and rear brakes and rotors, transmission slipped a couple of times on the highway, new tires at 40,000, Air Compressor, rust on the wheels, paint came off some of the instrument buttons, rubber seal came loose on the trunk etc etc. I had it dealer maintained to the correct schedule. Some of these items were fixed under warrenty, some of these items cost me a lot of money. There has been several recalls that I have had to bring it in for.

I could not take it anymore. I was afraid to own it once the five years was up. The water pump failed two weeks when we were on vacation, that was the last straw.

We just bought a Toyota Highlander, older, more miles ... and we paid more than our Traverse was worth. I am not writing this to be a hater, I wanted to own and enjoy this car for 10+ years.

Hopefully the new models will be better because it really is a lovely car with a great design.