Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

12345679»

Comments

• escapeingescapeing Member Posts: 1

walk_the_walk: This transmission in my 2011 Pilot (4x4), like a few others I have owned (1996 Civic, 2005 Accord -- I think, 2002 Escape) will stay in 2nd gear when in "D2." It's to allow you to start on slippery surfaces with a little less torque to help control wheelspin. The transmission should not shift between 1st and 2nd in this setting and should stay in 2nd gear. I am no mechanic, but I think in some of the transmissions this engages a certain "band" to activate only 2nd gear. It sounds like it's functioning normally to me -- I have found this setting to be helpful on slippery surfaces to modulate the power you're delivering to the wheels, especially on hills, from a stop.

• doglady3doglady3 Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2003 Honda Pilot 2 years ago Last week going down the road it acted like you put in neutral let off gas then will go call and found out that it was recalled on trabsmission and the person had it had it fixed since it is doing again will they fix for free**

• jojoskijojoski Member Posts: 1

I have this 2003 Honda Pilot it's just 108.000 mi.on it but the transmission start showing abnormalities.start slipping and D drive start blinking,check engine start showing and when you drive it revving up to 5.000rpm at 3rd and 4th gear and when it change gear I feels it like a  sudden disengage sound .I went to a mechanic they clean the solenoid.which I paid 150$. But when I'm driving home the problem still.there.I ask my friend who is a mechanic.stated that was a common problem and issue for Honda Pilot 2003 and probably all Honda's out there.I am 100% that this another case of customer misleading advertisements by  AMERICAN HONDA.Is that why you offering.the extended. powertrain insurance included in the loan because the unreliable workmanship of this vehicle.What kind of business you operates .To cheat customers.This tranny will be more than your credibility.I'm not gonna recommend to buy Honda to my friends and relatives.Transmission $3,400.this gonna cost for your HONDA PILOT after 108,000 miles guaranteed the same problem you gonna experience..!!!!!!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2014
    What code was extracted from the TCM? The blinking light should mean a code is stored in there. Maybe we can help you track down the problem.

108,000 miles is a bit premature for a transmission failure but not necessarily sign of a defect--the transmission did give 11 years of service so spread out over that time period the repair bill should be easier to bear for you, if that's any consolation.

There was a transmission recall on the 2003 Pilot back in August 2002, but that was for gear breakage and severe lockup--total transmission destruction due to heat buildup.

If you want, you can call Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and see if there's anything to be done for you about this.

• azrealtorazrealtor Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 Honda Pilot EXL+Nav with 88K miles with the same discribed shift delays and jerking upshifting and downshifting.

Does anyone else have the factory TOW Package?

Mine does and I was told that the extra cooler for the transmission is actually attached to the transmission instead of being a closed system like everyone else who buys an after market Tow Package. So if you have any issues with the radiator- coolant will actually get in the transmission causing the jerks and eventually causing the transmission to fail.

This seems not to happen on Pilot's without the Tow Package...Anyone any thoughts?