Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2012 GMC Acadia Rolls Back while in Park

slinky9slinky9 Member Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in GMC

Hi all. I noticed that when I put my 2012 GMC Acadia in park, it rolls back about 3" or so, unless I set the parking brake. Given the transmission issues spoken extensively about in this forum, is this something I need to worry about ? I do have an extended warranty on the vehicle, so cost isn't really an issue.

I've always driven stickshift until now, so setting the parking brake is automatic, but I don't know if that is just masking the problem or not, if in fact it's a problem.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

Not unusual for a little rollback to occur. It is not a problem unless the locks that eventually stop it lock a little to tight (when on an incline) and make it difficult to move out of park position. Best way to do things is to stop, keep foot on brake, set parking brake then put into park and take foot off brake.

• Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

Hello slinky9,

We are sorry to hear of this concern you are experiencing with your 2012 GMC Acadia. I understand that you are seeking feedback from community members about this concern and may not be ready to take it into the dealership. I'd like to document this concern in our system. Could you please send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya with your contact information and VIN?

Thank you,

Andraya
    GM Customer Care

• Options

Andraya: Thank you. I have done this. Do you have a recommendation for me as to if I should proceed or not ? Most of my searching has turned up advice like Ray's above, which is that it is normal and expected, however there are some accounts out there that it could mean a transmission issue. What are your thoughts ?

• Options

Hi slinky9! Unfortunately, we're not technically trained so we're unable to speculate on what's causing your vehicle to rollback, nor can we link this to a transmission issue. The technicians at the dealership would be in a better position to perform the necessary diagnostic testing to figure out the cause of this. You are still within warranty by time, so feel free to reach out to your dealership if this continues to be a concern. Send us a private message with your VIN and contact information if we can be of further assistance.

Amber N. (assisting Andraya)
    GM Customer Care

@slinky9 said:
    Andraya: Thank you. I have done this. Do you have a recommendation for me as to if I should proceed or not ? Most of my searching has turned up advice like Ray's above, which is that it is normal and expected, however there are some accounts out there that it could mean a transmission issue. What are your thoughts ?

• Options

Andraya,

I have emailed a few times and I'm not sure if you have received it. The dealership never contacted me, and I'd like the case routed to a different dealership. Could you please help me with this ?

Thanks,

Andrea.

• Options

Hi Andrea,

Can you please send us another email and include your screen name, VIN and link to the thread? If you'd like, you can also private message us here on the forum. We apologize for any misunderstanding. We'll work on connecting you with another dealership in your area as soon as we can verify the information above.

Thanks,
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• Options

Thank you Amber !!

I sent you a private message and an email - hope you get it. I accidentally put "M" instead of "N" for your last initial so hopefully it will be routed to the right person. :)

• Options
    Just to close the loop on this !

The original dealer (Fremont Buick GMC) that I requested an appointment with completely dropped the ball on this item, and on the seat belt anchor recall. The case was successfully routed to a different dealership (Pearson in Sunnyvale), who took great care of me !

They assessed the rollback issue and determined it was normal, as it was only rolling back a few inches on a grade. They did recommend I continue to use the parking brake as I have been. So this issue is now resolved.

Amber, thank you very much for helping to make this happen. Much appreciated.