Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry suspension issue

jigneshjignesh Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Toyota

Hi, All

I bought used car 2007 toyota camry 98K miles are on it. After buying that, I feel it has suspension issue. when there is bump , we feel it inside the car also and feel is some what more than what it should be.

This is my first car and I dont have any knowledge of the car at all. Can anybody guide me to get some more knowledge about suspension. What parts are involved which effect the suspension of the car ? If we want to replace that how much does it cost for each side of the wheel front /read ??

Comments

• katsvolvokatsvolvo Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014

1st thing to do would be to check TIRE AIR PRESSURE...

For MOST tires (other than Ultra High Performance tires) the PSI should be set no higher than 20% more than recommended on the door jamb specification plate...UHP tires can be set as high as 30% over door jamb specification, not exceeding 15% UNDER maximum load carrying cold PSI rating printed ON THE TIRE.

If the PSI is set too high there would be less "cushion" and so more "thump" would be felt inside. If there were a suspension "issue" you'd hear "knuckle cracking" among the many components, and a SLOPPY/'floaty ride rather than the firm ride you feel now.

• capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    edited July 2014

I am going to disagree with Kats. Not about the tire inflation pressure causing the problem, but about what to set the pressure at.

First, on every vehicle sold in the US is a sticker called the vehicle tire placard, which lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size. Since 2008, the placard is on the driver's door frame.

Second, what is written on the tire is a maximum and should be taken as exactly that. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the tire is going to be used on, but the vehicle manufacturer has consulted the published tire standards and knows that what he specifies for the tire size and pressure is capable of carrying the fully loaded vehicle with some amount of overage.

Get yourself a tire pressure gauge and store it in your glovebox. They cost a couple of bucks. Check your pressure every few months, but especially when the weather turns cold. Tire pressure decreases due to the cold and need to be adjusted.

• chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hi Zaken, I have 2007 v-6 Camry SE
    It has 82,000 miles.
    6 months ago I noticed my steering wheel will not lock when taking key out of ignition. Occasionally it will lock though wheel won't be straight.
    I also notice the steering while driving is not as tight as it used to be. Seems a little sloppy and swaying now. Lost that sports tight feel
    I have new tires car goes straight and no popping or clicking noise in steering shaft.
    Any insight is appreciated.
    Thank you chuck
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I have 2007 v-6 Camry SE
    It has 82,000 miles.
    6 months ago I noticed my steering wheel will not lock when taking key out of ignition. Occasionally it will lock though wheel won't be straight.
    I also notice the steering while driving is not as tight as it used to be. Seems a little sloppy and swaying now. Lost that sports tight feel
    I have new tires car goes straight and no popping or clicking noise in steering shaft.
    Any insight is appreciated.
    Thank you chuck
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well at 98,000 miles it is entirely possible that the cars shocks/struts are worn out, or at least weaker than they should be. Perhaps you should have the car lifted to check for leaking struts. Now be careful here...if you go to a shop that is a chain store, they are in the business of selling things. You'd be better off at an independent repair shop and ask them to examine the stuts visually and also to give them a good 'bounce test'.
    jignesh said:

Hi, All

I bought used car 2007 toyota camry 98K miles are on it. After buying that, I feel it has suspension issue. when there is bump , we feel it inside the car also and feel is some what more than what it should be.

This is my first car and I dont have any knowledge of the car at all. Can anybody guide me to get some more knowledge about suspension. What parts are involved which effect the suspension of the car ? If we want to replace that how much does it cost for each side of the wheel front /read ??