Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Does this sound fishy?

matt303277matt303277 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in General
Buying a used car and already met up with guy and looked at car. Looks nice and was going to make the purchase tommorow. However, he is saying he bought the car off an auction and does not have the title. So he says I need to come with him to the dealer so he can pay the dealer to get the title. Is this normal or is he trying to pull a fast one?

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@matt303277 said:
    Buying a used car and already met up with guy and looked at car. Looks nice and was going to make the purchase tommorow. However, he is saying he bought the car off an auction and does not have the title. So he says I need to come with him to the dealer so he can pay the dealer to get the title. Is this normal or is he trying to pull a fast one?

Hhmm, he bought at auction and one way or another doen't have the title yet.

I'm thinking I would look elsewhere and let this one go by.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Sounds like he bought the car under the dealer's auction registration. He and the dealer must be buddies.

I don't know, if the title is real and the car is good, how it all comes down might not matter.

I'd keep my eyes open the whole way through this, however, and if you have ANY doubts about paperwork, photocopy all the documents and zip over to DMV and show them what you have.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Flippers and curbstoners don't like paying the extra expense of getting title; this guy probably hopes to avoid those fees, not to mention taxes.

Or he may be working for the dealer, and if the dealer is a bit "shady" the dealer may be trying to avoid the fees or taxes.

Used Car Buying 101: Avoid the Curbstoner and His Motor Vehicle Scam (Yahoo)

Curbstoners and Internet Scams