Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Drivetrains - 2 different types (or more) ?

microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
edited July 2014 in General

I recently heard/saw an ad for a Ford product (not sure if for Lincoln or Ford) that described their 2014/2015 hybrid where the gas engine was not connected to the transmission but only drove a generator/alternator to recharge the battery that powered the electric motor that is connected to the tranny. I believe this is in contrast to the hybrid systems such as in the Prius where both the engine and motor are physically connected to the tranny so either or both can contribute to directly propelling the car.

I have been reluctant to get too excited about the Prius type of system because it tends to cycle the gas engine on and off very frequently to the point that for around-town local driving the starter could be called upon numerous times to restart the engine in a very short time and/or on short trips. This will likely lead to premature failure of the starter mechanism and/or wear and tear on the flywheel gears.

However, if I read/heard about the Ford/Lincoln system correctly, I would expect it to be much less subject to failure due to excessive restarting of the engine. I have tried to gain more knowledge of the Ford system from their website, but of course the marketeers would much rather talk about heated seats and moonroofs.

Anyone heard any details on this "new" approach by Ford?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

The stop/start system is migrating to "regular" cars and the starters are made for more frequent cycles. I haven't noticed anyone complaining about failures yet - it's still a bit "early" but I doubt that the starter is going to be a problem. The last time I heard about a flywheel issue was on a family '74 Volvo that lost a few teeth. That was a pain.

Wikipedia has an overview on hybrid power train configurations. The definitions can get fuzzy, but I think there's more than "two".

And yeah, not finding much with a quick search on upcoming Lincoln/Ford hybrid tech.

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited July 2014

The HSD and Ford hybrid systems don't have a starter. The engine is spun up to around 1K RPM, and then gas is applied.

I should think that a conventional ICE car with auto stop is indeed engaging the starter every time.

EDIT: I mean a separate starter. Of course the hybrid system is starting the engine as part of it's operation. At least that is my understanding.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Very interesting, so one less part to break. Tesla fans are always bragging about how few moving parts they have.

• kalliekallie Member Posts: 2

And then you have people arguing that it's not really a hybrid because there's only one motor. But like you said, it has two power sources so it can use power better and waste less - exactly what a hybrid is supposed to do.