Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DEFinitely Low - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Ram
imageDEFinitely Low - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

The Diesel Exhaust Fluid in the Edmunds 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is running low.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Maybe it was that burnout shoot you guys had us comment on... This would definitely concern me. Nearly empty after only 5k miles? There's people that would go through that in a few months. Wouldn't you have noticed if it wasn't on 100% when you bought it? Sounds like it needs to go straight to the dealer for some bend-over servicing.

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Doing some reading and it appears that it only comes from the factory with 1/2 tank and the dealer is supposed to top it off. I bet since its a somewhat unusual thing that they didn't know to do that. I'd make sure to get at least a half tank comp'ed.

• nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69

according to your introduction pics, you had 3/4 of a tank at 1250 mi. assuming it was full when you took delivery, 5k mi for the whole tank would even add up.

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234

Do DEF vehicles stop working if DEF goes empty?

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

@yellowbal said:

I would like a definitive real world answer to this question. So go ahead and drive the Ram until the DEF is out and see what happens.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

The DEF sites seem geared toward trucks more so than "passenger" vehicles but I suspect it's all the same.

"If the truck is allowed to run out of DEF the engine's power is reduced, a solid red warning will be displayed and the vehicle speed will be limited to 5 mph until the DEF tank is refilled."

discoverDEF.com FAQ

Apparently VWs won't even start if you run the AdBlue tank dry. (automobilemag.com)

• tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107

@yellowbal said:

This is what Chrysler's service manual says in reference to the DEF:

"The driver will be notified when the level of DEF drops below approximately 2.5 gallons.
    The first level warning displays the message "Engine Will Not Restart in XXXX mi DEF
    Low Refill Soon". If the vehicle is driven too long with low DEF, the message “Engine Will
    Not Restart in XXXX mi Refill DEF” will be displayed. And finally, “Engine Will Not Restart
    Refill DEF” will be displayed if the driver continues to operate the vehicle without refilling
    the DEF tank. At that point, the engine will no longer restart if it is shut off. A minimum of
    2.5 gallons of DEF will need to be added in order to be able to restart the engine."

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Oh sure, check the manual. Where's the fun in that? :p

• bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24

@kirkhilles1 said:
    Maybe it was that burnout shoot you guys had us comment on... This would definitely concern me. Nearly empty after only 5k miles? There's people that would go through that in a few months. Wouldn't you have noticed if it wasn't on 100% when you bought it? Sounds like it needs to go straight to the dealer for some bend-over servicing.

that was photoshop