Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What's It's Like Driving Uphill - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen
imageWhat's It's Like Driving Uphill - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Is it easy to climb a hill in our long-term 2014 Volkswagen Passat while the air conditioner is at full blast?

Read the full story here

Comments

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383

My Jetta has the same motor.
    Like it so far.
    Hopefully it is durable.
    Time will tell.

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

I really like this engine and hope that it holds up. If it proves to be durable and reliable the next generation Passat or current GTI is on the short list for my next car. A good sign is that VW admitted that their reliability problems is one of the reasons they aren't selling as well as they could in the U.S. We're missing some components of the European version of this engine (dual fuel injection and fully electronic thermo-management system http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6984506-What-Happened-To-The-Dual-Injected-EA888) and VW has never given an explanation. Optimistically I hope it's because they didn't want to take the chance that these more complex components would have a higher failure rate and stuck with the proven durable parts. Or it's because they wanted to cheapen the engine to increase profits.

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Ten years ago an oil change for a VW Passat was approximately $100. How much is it now? That's a pretty hefty price for a supposed people's car.

• chrisb12chrisb12 Member Posts: 9

100 a change isn't atypical - fully synthetic, every 10k miles or once a year. If your changing every 3k miles your missing the point.