Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

@cski‌

Let us know how it goes with the Optima for Mazda 6 swap. I'm curious as to how much they let the 6 off the lot for.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited July 2014

Cski

Accord- vs- the Mazda6

Buying either car comes down to what your preference is. Once you decide you will be very happy with either vehicle. I'd like to hear your thoughts/ review on the accord sport vs the mazda6.

Here are my thoughts. between the 2 vehicles....@benjaminh is right on with his assessments. I test drove the mazda6. I personally think the Accord sport model and mazda6 are very close in the h/p dept. What separates the Mazda is very good handling and cornering. That's what makes this sedan feel quicker than the Accord. The Accord cvt motor is rated best in class. The Mazda suspension is very firm. On uneven roads you will bounce around especially with the 19' tires. The Accords suspension is more relaxed but again the Mazda handles and corners a lot better at faster speeds.. Both are great choices. You have to decide which ride you prefer. I found the radio to be better in the Mazda and the leather seats more comfortable in the accord. I liked the layout and features better in my Accord. The sport is not the upgrade model. The Mazda has a more sporty look and feel. The Accord has a classier look inside. I have the EXL V-6 model

A, Accord sport test drive is a must before you decide. The new Accord is a well rounded family vehicle. Find roads that are not that even or have some bumps , pot holes, small road holes to see if you like how this Mazda's suspension handles it. The ride is firm. What made me buy the Accord was the new look, a 280 h/p v-6 engine, the ride, cargo rm, big trunk, and tech features. This new Accords road noise is a lot quieter inside the cabin from past years . Mazda interior cabin noise has improved a lot from previous years. Still not acceptable to me. Edge to the Accord.

Edmunds summed up the mazda6 the best.

With its communicative, precise steering and sporty chassis tuning, the 2014 Mazda 6 feels sharp-witted and willing around corners, with stand-out dynamics for the class. The flip side, however, is that the 6 rides a bit more stiffly than competitors, especially with the 19-inch wheels. Like many Mazdas, the 6 is a car for practical-minded buyers with enthusiast leanings

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2014

The Mazda6 is sometimes faster than the Accord....

Just some additional information to add to the above test by Motor Trend that showed the Accord Sport to be slightly faster than the Mazda6, when both are equipped with an auto. Here's a test by C & D that shows that the Mazda6 is slightly faster than an Accord EXL.

Anyway, they are both pretty close in speed. That's obviously not a significant consideration either way. And so I take back and correct what I said about that before.

Before are very good cars!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-mazda-6-grand-touring-vs-2013-honda-accord-ex-l-sedan-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

The one place where the Accord has a clear edge is for the manual versions. For some reason some tests have shown that the Accord Sport manual can get to 60 in as soon as 6.6 seconds (C & D) while the Mazda6 manual is about a second slower than that iirc.

But since cski is getting an auto that's irrelevant.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

@m6user said:
    I don't understand how the Accord can be faster than the Mazda6. The 6 has about the same horsepower and torque if not more and reaches at lower RPMs for both than the Accord. The Mazda6 even weighs a little less. Must be gearing I guess because the Mazda6 gets better MPG.

Dude, I am starting to believe that every spec on my OPTIMA has been "tweaked". The 2014 Mazda 6 Touring I drove yesterday has even 3 more options....a sunroof, Bose stereo w/ 7" screen,, and 19" rims. Then ride was NOT punishing with that tire /wheels setup, and this time I got to drive the car for a full hour... by myself. I HATE salesman ride - along. The engine has MORE POWER than my car... or it is lighter. For 26k, I will pass on the Accord and go right over to Mazda. there is a brief spool up before the trans drops 2 gears and the engine kicks in. The engine is refined, yet growls like a sports car. I was sold. The interior quality is absolutely FINE. No poor quality pieces. There was a button called BSM THAT I ha NO idea what it dies, but I took the traction control off and it burned our through first and chirped in second. I would say 200 hp is the actual power. It is just too fast5...or too b eater geared for my car to catch up.. In general, the car felt better screwed together than mine. It was superb.

If the 6 is not to your liking, try the Mazda 3 hatchback. It is a damn nice car... even more impressive... except the Grand TOURING mODEL i SAW W2AS $29900.

• @benjaminh said:
    The Mazda6 is sometimes faster than the Accord....

Just some additional information to add to the above test by Motor Trend that showed the Accord Sport to be slightly faster than the Mazda6, when both are equipped with an auto. Here's a test by C & D that shows that the Mazda6 is slightly faster than an Accord EXL.

Anyway, they are both pretty close in speed. That's obviously not a significant consideration either way. And so I take back and correct what I said about that before.

Before are very good cars!

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-mazda-6-grand-touring-vs-2013-honda-accord-ex-l-sedan-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

The one place where the Accord has a clear edge is for the manual versions. For some reason some tests have shown that the Accord Sport manual can get to 60 in as soon as 6.6 seconds (C & D) while the Mazda6 manual is about a second slower than that iirc.

But since cski is getting an auto that's irrelevant.

It felt like 7 seconds.... and I am far from finalizing this deal. The payments have to be lower. I will not buy an extended warranty, or any other "full boat" insurance products.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

@cski said:
    There was a button called BSM THAT I ha NO idea what it does,

BSM is blind spot monitor .. my wife's CX-7 has it as well. Not sure why one would want to turn it off.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

How would Altima and Sonata (2014) compare to Accord and Mazda6?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

Some people turn off the nanny monitors if the get tired of beeps and flashes. Not sure what he Mazda does. I do like the idea of BSM. Would not mind that on our Acura.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@rbirns1 said:
    How would Altima and Sonata (2014) compare to Accord and Mazda6?

IMO, having driven both, not as nice to drive but a lot cheaper now. Good feature per $ quotient.

• @benjaminh said:
    But did you test drive an Accord? Not only is it faster than a 6, it has a bigger back seat and bigger trunk. Seems like you're a lost cause, however--lol! You've fallen in love with the 6. Good choice.

In any case, that Mazda6 should be a big step up in driving dynamics from your Optima. Should get better mpg too.

The Accord is great. I drove a Sport. It was like mine with faster steering. There was no difference in speed, better handling but poor tracking (due to the 18" wheels?) There was no such feeling in the Mazda. The trunk is huge, the back seat is the same size as the one I have now, it has better quality seat materials, and god it is a beautiful car. I like the base model too, but I don't live in West Virginia and there is no where to enjoy a stick. Lastly, with three kids and two bags of McDonald's to pass around, then I have no hand or knees to drive it, and then once under way, I get to sit in traffic while my clutch burns up. My choice is the Mazda 6 Touring.... hands down.. Even the VW isn't as tightly screwed together as the Mazda. Amazing car.

@stickguy‌

The high belt lines & thick "D" pillars prevalent on most cars today almost necessitate back up cameras, blind spot monitoring systems, & innovations like Honda's Lane Watch.

I know my parents (in their mid to late 60's) recently had cars with Blind Spot Monitors (2010 Chevy Tahoe LTZ & 2011 Porsche Cayenne V6) and traded up to cars without the Blind Spot Monitors (2011 Chevy Tahoe LTZ & 2013 BMW X5). Almost immediately, they both said they miss the Blind Spot Monitors a lot.

I had the backup camera on my TSX and don't have it on my 328xi. I do miss it. It is a fantastic feature.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I don't think we could drive the RDX without the back up camera. Terrible rear visibility.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253

@cski You seem to be pretty stuck on the Mazda 6. You should head over to 'Real World Trade In Values' to hopefully get an estimated value for your Optima.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

@stickguy said:
    IMO, having driven both [Altima and Sonata], not as nice to drive but a lot cheaper now. Good feature per $ quotient.

I agree, wrt the 2014 Sonata (I haven't driven the Altima yet). The 2014 Sonata is a great bargain at the current close-out pricing. I've seen GLSes with alloys/heated seats advertised locally for around $17k or $200/month for a 36 month lease with 0 out of pocket. It's a lot of car for that money, and I think a pleasant car to live with. Not as nice as newer designs like the Accord and Mazda6, but a car that I think would be fine for 90% of the demographic who buys mid-sized family sedans.

after driving both, I think I liked the Altima better. But I would have to try them both again back to back to make sure.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@cski, sounds like you're in love. An excellent choice. I was really torn between Mz6 Touring and Accord Sport. There were a few details that made me fall for the Honda.
    1) Gearbox: Now, there were no manual 6's around, so I didn't get to compare directly (my test drive was an automatic 6), but the press tend to prefer the Honda's manual, and it just felt perfect to me. You prefer automatic, and I didn't drive an Accord CVT, so cannot compare there. But we have a CVT in our Pathfinder and I actually like it a LOT. If I can't have a manual, then give me infinite gears! ;)
    2) Power: Acceleration and speed may be roughly equivalent on paper, but the way the Honda delivers in the mid range is very nice. The 6 never felt terribly lacking, but the Honda just felt as if the engine was its centerpiece.
    3) Room: At 6'3", the Honda gave a slight edge in knee room up front. Only the Optima was better at this. 6 was fine (esp. compared to my old 3), but the Accord felt more open. Its rear seat is HUGE, and I regularly put the kids three across with no complaints. 6 also has a nice rear bench, but it seemed shaped a bit more to favor the outboard, whereas the Accord's middle seat is nice and flat, and the floor hump is very low.
    4) Materials: The 6 didn't feel cheap by any stretch. It's perfectly nice. But the Accord's steering wheel, center screen, and the little knurled metal finish around the knobs just made me feel as if I'd landed in an Acura. And the Accord, to my surprise, rode very quietly, except for a nice engine growl when you punch it.

I wanted to love the 6. It's beautiful and less common. And if they'd had a manual in red, I'd probably have gotten stars in my eyes and never gone back for a second look at the Accord. You really cannot go wrong. But as others have said, you must at least test the Accord to settle things in your own mind.

Also, unless the one you're seeing has some options not mentioned, $26K sounds rather high. Accords are going for several hundred below invoice. The Accord may fit your budget better (and good luck getting $17K for the Optima. I imagine they are offering closer to $12-13K?)

edited July 2014

cski:

As you probably know, Mazda currently has 0% for 60 months on the 6. That should help.

Given that your Optima is c. 3 years old, it seems like it might be a stretch to get 17k in trade on it. How much did you pay for it? For the heck of it, I played with the Edmunds trade-in estimator for a 2012 Optima EX in Outstanding condition with 30k miles. It said trade-in was around $15k. What year is yours?

The Mazda should have better resale value than the KIA. But it's hard to beat the Honda on that score. In part because of higher resale and lower repair costs, I've seen figures showing that the 5 year cost of ownership is lower for the Accord than for any other midsize car.

Anyway, as someone else said, $26k for a Mazda6 Touring does seem potentially steep, depending on the options. What's the msrp for it?

edited July 2014

@ahightower said:
    ...the Accord felt more open. Its rear seat is HUGE, and I regularly put the kids three across with no complaints...

This is an advantage that the Accord has over some competitors.

There's a rave review of the Mazda6 in Truth About Cars that mentions the sloping rear roofline:

"....It’s true that ingress and egress to the rear passenger compartment is complicated by the sloping roofline but the situation is easily remedied by opening your eyes and not smashing your head into the door frame. If you find the process too daunting, you are probably lucky Darwin hasn’t yet come to claim you as an evolutionary failure...."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/07/reader-review-2014-mazda6/#more-863065

Probably that doesn't matter very much to you, cski. But just in case I thought I'd mention it.

But I did something rather like you did with your Optima when I got a Mazda5 in 2010—I didn't test it thoroughly enough to see what the kinks were in design. But like your Optima, the Mazda5 has big blind spots in the rear. I found I didn't like that at all, but by that time I already owned it, which I did for a few years before eventually deciding to trade it in on an Accord.

The rear visibility is probably better in the Mazda6 than in the Optima, but not by a lot because of that sloping rear roof, high beltline, and thick rear pillar. When you were in the Accord did you notice the excellent visibility?

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

Well TTAC is pretty non-credible with a lot of their opinions (in MY opinion!) but this is an owner review so there could be some self-justification going on there. I was struck by his comments about some of the things it does not come with (auto up/down windows, etc) and some noise issues. I would be very casreful to spend a lot of time with the car before signing the deal to make sure I would be OK with all those things. Coming out of an Optima, which as I recall has a lot of bells and whistles, the 6 might seem a bit de-contented.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

@stickguy said:
    I don't think we could drive the RDX without the back up camera. Terrible rear visibility.

My wife has the backup camera on her Passat, but my 2008 FEH has the backup sensors. I find the sensors pretty easy to use, but I think I prefer the camera.

The advantage to the sensors is I can concentrate on the parking overall while still knowing about how far out the car to the rear is. With the camera one has to keep the concentration on the screen.

edited July 2014

cski,

Just to add to above posts.. If you could get 15 to 16 k for a 2 going on 3 yr optima. Take the money and run. Resale is not good on this vehicle..

Pricing on a Accord sport in your area will be from 1700 to 2200 below invoice price before paying dealers doc fee charge. MD and VA have some of the best pricing in the country on Accords, Civic's, and Pilots right now.. If you decide on the Accord let me know we will work on getting that 2k below number.

Another good point is the back seat issue. w/ 3 kids and the contoured 6's, seat might be tight .

@ab348.. had a good point about coming out of your Optima and its features. Take your time and thoroughly investigate what exactly your family needs and don't need.. Especially if this vehicle will be a every day hauler...

Below is the Accord sport invoice price w/ dest charge of 790. Your target price to buy is 2k below dealers invoice.

23,225 minus 2k=.................. 21,225 On this price you need to add dealers doc fee charge, plus taxes and tags for your OTD price.

For about 22,950 with taxes and tags included you could walk out with this model. I calculated this on 6% sales tax.

Your Mazda 6 is a supply and demand vehicle unless dealer needs sales numbers or is looking to move off there lot your price wont be as good as the Accord . Let me take a look at Mazda's hold- back numbers, and Incentives I will IM you with a target price to buy.

I guess those coil overs are a after thought...lol

Brian has some good points. Do you really think it's possible to get an Accord Sport for 2k less than invoice?! If so, that's an incredible deal. Sounds like almost $4k less than the Mazda6. The 6 will have better stereo and some other stuff, plus superior handling, etc., but....

edited July 2014

Yes with certainty especially with dealers like Criswell, Pohanka, Chantilly , and Hendrick Honda just to name a few in his area. There have been many Edmunds buyers that I sent to these dealerships that did very well at months end April, may, June . If cski could pull the trigger end of July.. he wont be disappointed.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090

@benjaminh said:
    Brian has some good points. Do you really think it's possible to get an Accord Sport for 2k less than invoice?! If so, that's an incredible deal. Sounds like almost $4k less than the Mazda6. The 6 will have better stereo and some other stuff, plus superior handling, etc., but....

But, you may end up driving a car you don't like, simply because of the deal.

I did that years ago when I was shopping for a mid-size sedan. I wanted V6 and leather. I looked at the Camry, Passat and Accord. Passat was over $30K and the Camry was a bit of a snooze fest. The Accord has just been released, and I was not sure how I felt about its looks.

So I ended up with ....

A Saturn L300. 0% financing and a GM supplier discount made it much cheaper than anything else I had looked at. Had aftermarket leather added.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

Why are Accords being sold for $2000 below invoice in a record setting year(so far) for auto sales???

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

Because the 2015 Accord is expected to be come out "mid 2014" so they need to clear out the 2014 models.

edited July 2014

Brutal competition in the midsize field means that great discounts are available even on the Accord. Even I had no idea prices had gone this low, however...

edited July 2014

Style 6

Handling 6

Acceleration tie?

Mpg +1 for 6

Rear seat Accord

Trunk Accord

Resale Accord

Visibility Accord

Stereo 6

Price Accord

Reliability/quality tie

Service more Honda dealers

Made in USA Accord

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    cski‌

I most certainly did not mean any disrespect towards you or your post. The current generation F30 BMW 320i is certainly a nice car. I've had one as a loaner once. While it is far from a road rocket, the 320i is a solid highway cruiser and provides adequate acceleration. I do like the larger size, bigger trunk, & great cup holders. I even think the chassis is stronger & more agile than my E90 328xi. The problem is that I don't KNOW. The electric power steering provides absolutely ZERO feedback & the suspension is tuned way too soft for my liking. Try optioning up that 320i like it is an Accord Touring and any value quotient gets washed away rather quickly.

The first BMW I ever drove was a friend's 1995 E36 BMW 325is (sport pkg - manual transmission). After barely knowing how to drive a stick, I was speeding through the streets of downtown Buffalo, NY and using the throttle to rotate the car around corners by the end of the night. That one drive made me lust after BMWs for the next 12 years when I finally leased a 2007 X3 for my wife. Then in 2012 traded in my perfectly good 2010 Acura TSX Tech for my current (and soon to be departed) 2011 328xi. I don't get that from a 320i or really any of BMW's current offerings. I even have a friend with a 2013 F10 ///M5 that is mega fast, but not what I'd pay $120K for.

Many don't understand that with the BMW, you are paying for that dedicated RWD chassis that is more expensive to design & produce than Honda's "global mid sized platform."

I happen to LOVE my E90 328xi. I think it is a fantastic car. But I wouldn't classify it as "awesome" either.

I get it now. And thanks so much for the nice explanation. So, I took may car in for its 30k service, and had some errands to do. The service manager immediately brought me out a black 2014 Turbo, and I have to tell you they have made some very good improvements to the cars solid feel, steering, and powertrain conjugation. They wanted to give me 17k for mine, and offered 27k, for the turbo with the dual sun roof, and a couple neat features. I enjoyed the Infinity stereo, although the only difference is the 8" subwoofer installed in the rear deck, and better tweeters.

Well, I already have a Kicker 600.1 sub amp, dual 10" subs, Alpine door speakers, a second Kicker 200.4 4 channel amp, (50 watts RMS per channel) so, it came down to the fact that I have too much love money, and work put into my car to just give it away and start over on another car. Lastly, the car was just not that fast. In most situations it would not be right for the congestion in this area. Bummer.

@cski‌

Unfortunately that is the realization of the congested areas we live in. I thought the traffic here in NY was bad until I visited our nation's capital last summer. Let me tell you something, we are amateurs when it comes to traffic compared to you guys.

Part of the reason I'm not looking into getting another BMW when my lease is up in September (besides the fact that I'm going to try and NOT spend as much this time around) is the same thing. Do I really need "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to commute back and forth to work 6 days a week where the speed limit is 55 and then 50 once I get into the NYC Limits? How fast can I reasonably drive? Most days I set my cruise at 70 in the AM, maybe 75 if the traffic allows. At night I take a road all the way home with a 50 mph speed limit. The cops give tickets if I go over 65.

edited July 2014

@m6user said:
    Why are Accords being sold for $2000 below invoice in a record setting year(so far) for auto sales???

Not all area's are selling Accords for 2k below . MA, MD, VA, CA, are tops with pricing. In CT,NY, NJ, DE, PA, NC, SC, GA, FL deals are ranging from 900 to 1500 below dealers invoice after paying dealers doc fee charge. Most educated buyers are in that 1200 to 1500 below range right now.. Buyers that are better negotiators are getting the higher end of these prices. 2015' Accords will be out late Sept.

The 2014 Mazda' 6's are limited on dealers lots. with the higher end 2014 models left. Sticker price on the Touring models are 32k plus...... The 2015's are on lots already.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146

@stevedebi said:
    The advantage to the sensors is I can concentrate on the parking overall while still knowing about how far out the car to the rear is. With the camera one has to keep the concentration on the screen.

The fact that both of these options are becoming available on more and more vehicles is a bit distressing to me. Pretty soon, everyone's going to feel competent enough to parallel park, increasing the competition for the primo spaces in our downtown (which largely go unused, thanks to fear and inexperience).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited July 2014

@Kirstie_H

We might need another Enron/ wall street/ GM bail out. These rear view camera's are in some small vehicles now. Maybe it will help folks not hit the car behind them.

FYI: The woman in NYC will barrel into a shoe box spot if they can. Escalade, Tahoe, or Civic it does not matter. The rule of thumb is 3 bumper hits with one parallel park..... lol

• @akirby said:
    The other end of the spectrum I don't get is people who must have a car that is unique and can't look like anyone else's car. I don't care how many people have a car that looks like mine - I get what I like to look at and drive period.

Kirby, I tinted my windows, added mudguards (factory OEM) a factory copy OEM Small Spoiler, and then put on lamin-X fog light covers to protect the fog lights fro stone chips, cracks, and holes. They are light blue.

got to check out a 2015 Legacy today. Sat inside, but did not drive. Very nice evolution of the prior model. Well equipped for the price, and good pricing. Comfortable, roomy and attractive, in a subtle way. If I was buying in this class, I would give it a serious look.

sales of course will still be about 1/10th - 1/20th of the Camry.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

My Regal has the sensors but no backup camera. I have come to really like the sensors, not just for parallel parking, but also for parking in garages where I always back in. I use the sensors to get within inches of the rear wall. You really do become dependent upon them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I have never had the sensors. At least the camera doesn't beep at you. the grid lines are a nice touch too. There is even on on the RDX that tells you how close you can get and still open the hatch.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

"The 2014 Mazda' 6's are limited on dealers lots. with the higher end 2014 models left. Sticker price on the Touring models are 32k plus."

No, I think your talking about the Grand Touring model and at that price you are getting radar cruise, collision avoidance radar braking, I-eloop and several other things that I don't think the Accord has. Nice stuff but a little pricey and still a 4 banger. Gee, I even think you get a leather shift knob, split rear fold down seats and a light in the glove compartment. LOL.

edited July 2014

Just got In from Circle Hyundai Chevy dealer In NJ. . Had my 1st oil change on my Genesis. The place was mobbed with people either looking or buying. Not Chevy that side was empty. . I must of counted over 150 2014, Sonata's and 100 Elantra's on Circle's lot.. I sat in the new Chevy Impala lots of room. Price tag of 36k on the sticker with the LTZ 2 package. 300h/p Rear visibility is awful in this new model. A back up camera is a must . Nice interior size for a family of 4. Silver looked sharp w/ 19 ' tires.

The New redesign Genesis 2015 seen one in the showroom. Interior is very upscale more in line with the Equus model. Hyundai did a bad job with the front of this vehicle. Not nice looking at all. I told one of the salesman.... looks like a train wreck . What did they do? He just laughed and said I've been getting those same kind of comments all month. What a shame Hyundai miss the bus in the looks dept. with the 2015 model. The new Avalon has a similar look in the front but the back has a classier look to it. Very Nice

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

What kind of deals should I expect on a Sonata GLS with popular equipment package in NY? Dealers seem to have many of these Sonatas, but that package doesn't seem to show on Edmunds pricing tool.

edited July 2014

rbirns1

Your models invoice is 21,342. There is a 2000 dollar rebate from Hyundai and a 500 loyalty rebate totaling 2500 off the above price. That alone is 18,842. Excluding taxes and tags. If I'm buying this model in NY my target price is 17k. True car pricing is very good on Hyundai's. Go to the web site and put in your info from NY. . Then google Fritz automall Hyundai, in MD. Use there zip code as if you were buying vehicle in that area. This will give you a head start on pricing. Use these prices as a guide but not a final price. The Popular equip. pck #2 = 819 dollars.

Use Nada.com its alot easier to find pricing and packages. Edmunds pricing web page is confusing to most to navigate thru there pages.

Contact these dealerships in addition to yours. dealerships below will give you the best deals. They sell a lot of Hyundai's and wont play games with you.

Atlantic..............LI.

Circle..................NJ

Liberty................NJ

Rockland............NY

Global................NJ

Didn't we speak about buying a Accord last month? IM me about pricing this is the wrong forum.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@stickguy said:
    I have never had the sensors. At least the camera doesn't beep at you. the grid lines are a nice touch too. There is even on on the RDX that tells you how close you can get and still open the hatch.

I prefer the sensor to the camera. It lets you use your other senses (hearing) to measure the distance while you look back/and in your mirrors for obstacles.

Both is better...

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    edited July 2014

I have both and it's great. But the best feature by far is cross traffic alert when backing out of a parking space. I can be in between 2 big trucks and back out with confidence even when you can't see left or right (2013 Fusion).

edited July 2014

Great feature.

Alot of vehicles will have it in the coming years along with frontal and side crash warning systems , satellite radar braking systems. My next vehicle I want every one of these state of the art safety features. These new features will save your life in the event. worth every penny.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

Agreed. Our Pathfinder has both camera and beeping, which is great. Although I'm not crazy about the look of the sensors in the bumper, and imagine it would add to the cost of body work. If I could only have one, it'd be the camera.

@stevedebi said:

actually, I don't keep my concentration on the camera screen. normally I check it to make sure I am clear, then back up normally using the mirrors, and just check the screen when I am getting close to see how much room I have.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

Backing up normally is turning your head - or else you will flunk the drivers test. :)

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

The camera helps you see what you can't see by turning your head -- like if a child is directly behind your car, or how far behind you that bumper actually is. It's one of those improvements that absence didn't seem remarkable until you see hhow helpful it is. I'll never get a car without it again.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Try that in many cars And all you will see is a headrest and the top of the far horizon.

• Look, both cars are on hold. I had to buy a washer and dryer set. There were holes under both the washer and dryer, and the washer dumped water into my neighbors bathroom. Had to call insurance. I did still go a little nuts on the Kia Optima ex stereo 2 10" magnum subs, 6 3/4 " Kicker rear deck speakers (yep... I bought another set), then Alpine's in all the other doors. We arena talking 800 watts RMS between the three amps. 1 kicker 600.1 (327 watts rms for the subs), a Kicker 2 channel 60.2 to run the deck speakers (the deck has to have custom 6" holes cut for the deck kickers.). I had to buy a second battery to run it all.

So, In am tapped at $1,300 for all the upgrades, plus the new badges are free at least as the "K" badges were defective. Can't wait to show off the pics. ]

Oh, Lastly, I bought a floor jack, caliper cleaner, and high temp caliper paint.... red of course.

So, hopefully it will look grown u and classy on the outside, and full on 80"s and 90"s metal/alternative on the inside.

Thanks for the support, but my car has not even flipped 30k.