Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    What did you not like about it? Mine has everything that the $100 service manual I purchased for my Protege has. What more were you expecting?
  • keithrichmondkeithrichmond Member Posts: 35
    boggse, The one I purchased is the same one that is the industry standard for mom/pop automotive repair shops. I've played with it and I don't like it. For example, I can't even find a section for Body/interior stuff like removing the door panels. Between here, google and the Garage section on a popular Internet club for Miatas I can get better information.

Maybe you have a different software than I do? I won't name names but mine has something to do with the President of the United Mine Workers of America from 1870-1919.

Keith R.
    keith, then the little ampersand, then technical.net
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Mine has section 09 Body & Accessories. Mine is organized just like my Protege Factory Service Manual. I think mine is just a copy of what they send to the dealership shops. Everything is in there in Acrobat format. What kind of software has anything to do with John Mitchell?

Ted
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    I bought the factory shop manual for my 95 Miata from Performance Buyers Club. Cost was $50. The only thing that I don't like about the manual is that it's a rather small sized book. I mean the physical size. It is most complete....everything is in there.

Chuck
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sat in a Mazdaspeed turbo at NAIAS. Cool but it's still cramped inside.

They showed an ugly tall mini-wagon too. That thing got exactly zero attention

The 3 and 6 wagon/hatch did well, though, getting all the attention for Mazda.

-juice
  • markinatlmarkinatl Member Posts: 9
    As mentioned back in November....I was shopping for a top replacement for my '92 Black and Tan. I decided on a Robbins Sunfast (cloth) with glass rear window. I used a local Miata shop (RSpeed) here in Atlanta. Cost for top was $699 (plus %5 tax) & $300 installation. Total was $1035. First impression....quieter. I was told to expect a noise reduction, but I thought that was just a sales pitch, but it really is very noticable. The quality of the top cloth is on par with that of the premium German cars.

It took the installer 3 straight non-stop hours. I would expect it to take a DIYer without all the exact right tools to take twice that long, or more.

I didn't like the OEM headlamps (original to the car). So I also had these replaced with the Hella H-4 headlamps some of you guys recommeded on here. Nice upgrade! Light pattern is specific, sort of semi circle pattern directed out and down, and substantially brighter.

I think my car is better than new! ;-)
    The Robbins is arguably the best top out there period. Good choice. The Sunfast cloth is not as durable as the vinyl but plastic windows are generally the weak point of convertible tops so you were smart to get the glass window.

boggse, tell me more about your CDROM (e-mail me if you'd like). From the web I found http://www.ondemand5.com relating to what I'm evaluating.

Keith R.
    keith, then the little ampersand, then technical.net
    I believe the cloth/sunfast top is supposed to last longer than the vinyl.
    I've never heard of which one lasts longer than the other, I've just heard of the Sunfast fading quicker and not shedding stains as well, especially the tan ones.

I will add for reference that the vinyl Robbins top on my '93 failed prematurely (split over one of the top bows). Neither the installer nor Robbins had ever seen anything like it before (so they said).

Keith R.
    You prolly got E-codes like mine, with those H4s. Compare them to the sealed beams that come stock and it's like the sealed beams were OFF!

I've had 11 years on this top, but it's toast. Vinyl OE top on a 1993. Actually started cracking at about 10 years of age, now it's cracking all over.

I'll probably go to the Buyer's Club in VA to replace it because they do it turn key, even order it for you.

-juice
  • poorrichard01poorrichard01 Member Posts: 39
    Go to Mazdausa.com, click on "2004 MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata" under "Upcoming Vehicles." When that page loads, click on the tab labeled "SPECS" and a pdf will load with the prices.

$25,500 (plus $520 destination charge) for the cloth interior version. $700 more for the Grand Touring Package (black leather seats with red stitching, shift knob and steering wheel to match).

Anyone care to guess what the dealer markup will be?

Poor Richard
    I think this market's too competitive for that. They probably can't even demand MSRP for long.

Miata has been around for a long time, and those in the know are aware of the new model coming soon. I don't see how demand will be *that* high.

Of course there will be the one or two who just have to have the first on the block...

-juice
  • stangeljstangelj Member Posts: 74
    Louis, why not find a nice 92 Sunburst Yellow to drive for now (and that you can probably afford now), to hold you over until you can afford the 02 SE?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    They are planning to build 4000 U.S. MazdaSpeed Miata's for 2004. These will be released fairly soon....then will build 3000 MZspeed Miata's for the 2005 model year. They are expected to show up in the fall of 2004.
    How many Miatas are made for the North American market each year? I could only some slightly dated figures on miata.net -- 10,384 Miatas sold in North America from January through November 2003. That's less than 12,000 per year, meaning one-third could be turbos.

Juice, you may be right. If you can avoid the impulse to be the first one on the block, you could have a right-nice pocket rocket for a downright decent price.

I'll take mine in Titanium.

Poor Richard
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    That is a possiblity. Unfortunately, the 92 Sunburst Yellow NA's are very difficult to find (espeically here in the middle of Missouri).

I'm also considering a white one with black cloth interior. I think that one would look great with a Racing Beat body kit and black or blue racing stripes ala the old R-package Miatas.

To be honest, as time has gone by a bit, I miss the RWD the most. The 6-speed was nice, the top-down thing was a blast, but I am surprised how disappointed I am to drive around in FWD now. My Matrix XRS is plenty fast for me, but with FWD and marginal all-season tires it feels very sloppy compared to my little roadster.

I guess the old adage holds true again, "Don't know what you've got 'til its gone".

Either way, I'm going to try to be patient to wait for just the right specimen. The anticipation is a sensory delight in an of itself....ahhh the thrill of the chase!!! :D
    IF the Mazdaspeed Protege history is repeated, I anticipate many incentive-laden Mazdaspeed Miatas waiting for homes come NC debut time. There are TONS of the MSP's in the St Louis area.

Maybe turbo + RWD will sell better than turbo + FWD.

Reminds me of a student the other day in one of my classes. After finishing his lab he was searching on e-bay for CRX's. He asks me, "hey Mr. S, how would you like to have a 270 hp CRX?"

"No thanks," I said. If I teach these kids learn nothing of Physics in my class, maybe I can at least teach them the virtues of RWD! ***LOL***
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    I installed the lip spoiler and a new set of wheels and tires. The car looks much better, it looks like a baby cobra now.
    Now you just need to get some Shelby Cobras racing stripes!!!

I'm thinking of doing a project with a white Miata one of these days...Project Skunk. Black cobra racing stripes with a Racing Beat body kit...outta look pretty snazzy. Wither that or hold out for a yellow one.
    I have a white one and wanted to do a tribute to Speed Racer, red M stripe and the number 5 at an angle. :o)

-juice
    . . . and infinitely better than the New Beetles painted, striped and numbered to look like Herbie, the Love Bug, that you see everywhere.

Poor Richard
    Not specifically Miata related, but I just got an XM Radio "Roadie" for my car. I'm sure you guys know about Satelite radios, 100 plus channels, no commercials, CD quality sound, $10 month subscription fee. Pretty nice.

I just took the 8" ashtray out, unscrewed the cover, and dropped the radio 1" x 5" into the hole. And I place the cover back and it is when I get out of the car to sort of hide it. Very simple plug and play set up, cigarette ligher power adapter, antenna (about a third the size of a computer mouse, and a cassette adapter). The whole thing was $115 at Best Buy, took me less than an hour to hook up and hide the wires.

Also, Costco is currently running a sale on Michelin and Bridgestones until the end of the January. th. This weekend I'm getting a set of Bridgestone RE950, installed, mounted and balanced for the same price Tirerack.com sells them (without shipping, and without having to deal with a third party installer). Just an FYI.
    Tell me again about the antenna. Isn't it one of those fin-shaped appendages about 3 inches long and 2 inches high? I've wondered where it would go (and still look good) on a Miata.

I've look into both satellite services, XM and Sirius (sp?), but never seriously considered them because of the antenna. The hills here in San Francisco make radio reception a hit or miss affair, especially if you're a jazz fan. Satellite could be the way to go.

Poor Richard
    But thanks for the info. I only use the radio to listen to Rush and the Chiefs games. Otherwise, I listen to Iron Miaden cd's....no Iron Maiden on the radio around here......
    Poor Richard,

To answer you question, the antennae looks like a minature computer mouse, it will fit in the palm of your hand, black, and has an very strong magnet. I unzipped the rear window, and threaded it through the back onto the back deck.

http://www.xmradio.com/roady/#

Also there are 3 separate Jazz channels, comtemporary, modern, traditional.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=70
    http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=71
    http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=72

thel,

Believe it or not, there is a channel that has Iron Maiden in the regular rotation.

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=41

Me, I like reggae. :o)
    The Iron Miaden song listed on that link was "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"...that bad boy is nearly 14 minutes long! I don't think any of the local radio stations could go half that long w/o 8 commercials in a row!

I figured that there was probably an Iron Miaden playing station out there somewhere, they have what a billion stations out there?! I just don't think that my rather narrow tastes in music could justify the cost of the whole package.

It's kind of the reason I haven't upgraded to digital cable. The only channel I want is ESPN2, but I don't want to pay an extra $15 per month for a bunch of other channels that I could care less about (ie. the foreign language basket weaving channel, etc)
    Hmm, right now I have the Roadie's "mouse" antennae just sitting on the back deck (inside the car). Having a '99 I don't have the option of routing out the rear window and I'm not keen on the magnetic stick ons for my paint.

I'm looking at some other sort of solution like the XM antennae designed for boats that I could mount on a roll bar or something. The only thing I can't figure out is where I can get the roadie's mini-coax connector to replace the XM standard box-type on the boat antennae.

I've just started the search but am curious what others use for antennae options.

Keith R.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

This coming week's chat on Feb 10 is also going to include a set of trivia questions about the 2004 Mazda models, gleaned from the pages of Edmunds.com! So study up and join us on Tuesday evening!!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • primapixieprimapixie Member Posts: 8
    I'm having a hard time driving in the snow, even with blizaks on the car. Is it just me? I mean it's better, but I have someone drive me on snowy days who has a Subaru.
    Better yet, get both. That's what I did. They complement each other perfectly.

It's finally warm enough that I've had the top down the last couple of days. Before that we had snow and ice that kept re-freezing, the Miata was even stuck for about a week.

To me, it's not a traction problem by itself, it's just that I don't want to play bumper cars with these huge SUVs all around me.

Carpooling is efficient so good for you.

-juice
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    discovered yesterday that the highest point of a Miata's top is slightly lower than the door handle on a Hummer H2.

If you want a good perspective on the true size of a Miata, park between a Tahoe and an H2.

At least you can see to back up by looking under them!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

part of the problem is the light weight on the rear end. The Blizzaks should help quite a bit, but if you need more traction, put 50 pounds of cat litter or sand (in bags, of course) in the trunk.

My 2001 has summer tires on it, and stays in the garage if it is particularly cold or if the ground is slippery. Can be fun when you hit a patch of ice though!

No thanks.

Slipping on dry surfaces, when I want to, is fun.

Slipping on wet/icy surfaces, when I don't want to, is scary.

I once did a 180 in the rain and was facing traffic. Imagine if an H2 had been behind me with its poor braking...

-juice
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Has anyone noticed the bumper height of the Hummer H2? I thought there were govt regulations regarding the height of the bumper, something like bumpers must be at the right height so contact is made in collisions. I mean Ford put a special bar on the Expedition/Excursion so that if the bumper went over the car's, the bar would act as a backup and invoke the car's crumple zone. Hummer appears to have made no concession here. I was sitting behind a Hummer in my Miata and noticed the front end would go completely under the truck, with the first contact being made to the huge rear tires and greatly increasing the chance of being decapitated or crushed by the rear end. This is flat out dangerous to any car, not just the Miata! I can't believe GM would allow such a disregard to the safety of other motorists. I would hope insurance companies at least slam the owners of these ridiculous beasts with high insurance rates.
    why should they have higher insurance rates? If you run into the back of one, you will probably be at fault, in addition to headless. The Hummer might need the rear bumper touched up though.

• revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    In parts of Europe pedestrian safety is being implemented as a big part of their crash test ratings. You wouldn't see a Hummer scoring high on that test.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    While I'm not going to advocate ruining cars by making them fully pedestrian collision safe, I definitely think that there should be a height limit on bumpers.

stick guy - no matter what direction the Hummer (or many full size trucks/suvs) hits or is hit from, in any accident, it is going to do much more automotive/physical damage to the other car/person.
  • primapixieprimapixie Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the kitty litter idea. I'll try it.
    The Hummer is over 6000 lbs so it's exempt from all kinds of regulations. Trucks already have it easier than cars, 3-ton vehicles have it even easier.

Did you know the Monroney doesn't even have to state the EPA fuel mileage on an H2? It doesn't. Owners whined to JD Power and that's why their IQ score was so low.

As if poor mileage ought to be a surprise...

Any how, many exemptions were intended for fleet/commercial vehicles, IMO any passenger vehicle, whether it's a car or truck, no matter the weight, should have to meet the same safety standards as cars.

Commercial vehicles require special training and licensing for the driver, the H2 doesn't.

-juice
    Sorry 'bout my rant, bringing this back on-topic, I'd like to see height limits not only on bumpers, but also on head lights.

Many SUVs have headlights above my eye level in the Miata. Funny thing is I sometimes look underneath them to see up ahead.

-juice
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I wonder if now that foreign marks are eating up a larger portion of what used to be a US only segment, regulations will be applied to large privately owned vehicles? Leaving it open used to give our guys an edge in the market place that they sorely needed. Now it is just helping the competition gain ground.

I don't think I should be punished for choosing to drive a smaller, more fuel-efficient car while these large, inefficient and dangerous vehicles are given a free ride.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, let's veer back on topic. Somebody grab the wheel before we head into the SUV Board!
  • labadeelabadee Member Posts: 1
    Does 3000 rpms @ 60 mph seem about right for this car ? I have owned this MX-5 for a short time and enjoy the pep . The rpm to mph ratio is higher than other sport cars I have owned - thanks
    That sounds perfectly normal. The 89-92's with the 1.6L engines where especially rev-happy, a characteristic which many enjoy. My 02 would do about 3,600 RPM at 70 mph or so and that was with a 6-speed!
    Yep, that's about right. The engine makes peak torque at 5500rpm, so it needs high revs to have any sort of acceleration on the highway.

It's not geared for 75+ driving, tell you that.

-juice
    Not unless you're in 3rd gear that is. ;)
    The new European pedestrian regularions would legislate the Miata right out of existence. No way the current design would pass.

3K at 60 is about what my '01 5 speed runs. Does take a while to get used to cruising at 70!

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'm considering replacing my 92 Miata with a 90 RX7 convertible. Would I be crazy to do such a thing? I've owned an 84 RX7 for 2 years and know the care needed for a rotary engine. This RX7 is beautiful: red (new paint but no accident suuposedly), power new top, new exhaust and new shift linkage and bushings, new tires, JVC Cd player with 10" Kenwood sub, kenwood speakers, and alpine amp, leather, all power, BBS wheels, 5 speed manual, cold AC, 108000 miles (my Miata has 144,600). Price would be around $4k and I'm within driving distance to pick it up. I've always loved the looks of the RX7 convertible and it's much rarer then the Miata. Has anyone sat in one of these and can comment on the room compared to the Miata? I would keep the Miata for a little longer if I bought this car but would then sell it for $3k to my friend. Would I be taking too much of a leap of faith to go from my trusty extremely reliable Miata to a quirky rotary RX7?
    Aren't the seals a pricey job on those? I heard something like that. Were they done, or does the price factor in that job?

I've only driven RX7 coupes, never the convertible. My concern would be all that mass, it might be quicker but is it as fun and tossable?

-juice
    Along those same power lines.....I'm starting to consider the Jackson Racing (Eaton) Supercharger, 40 more horses, 40 more ft/lbs of torque. I'd like to have it, but in the end I can't justify the cost, $3000-$3500 by the time all is said and done.