Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Great for Glamping - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Toyota
imageGreat for Glamping - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Last weekend we packed up the 2014 Toyota Highlander and we went glamping.

Read the full story here

Comments

• adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122

Looks like you're camping behind a strip mall. You don't at least go to a place with a view to glamp? Californians...

• evodadevodad Member Posts: 135

use of the power tailgate. I must say that was definitely not one of the must haves on our list when we were shopping for our mdx, but since the one we bought has it, we use it ALL the time, it's a very convenient feature. great to be able to grab the last few grocery bags and close the tailgate after your back in the house or to have it open and ready to receive bulky items as you approach the car.

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

side topic: am I the only one that is tired of how everything has to have a 'cute' word for what it is anymore? Seriously, people have been vacationing in trailers for years and people have been staying in cabins or cottages when vacationing for as long. So why does this need a fun combined word for what it is?

@adamb1 said:
    Looks like you're camping behind a strip mall. You don't at least go to a place with a view to glamp? Californians...

I'm with you, that looks like it is neither camping nor glampling as it is just a lot behind the laundromat. One old Oak does not a forest or a campground make.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

This is all you need:

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383

Camping without the camping part?
    Something happens to people once you get west of the continental divide.
    Before we know it, they'll be eating raw fish. Oh yeah, they already do that.
    Gotta find your own fun.
    That's the important part. Enjoy!

• linard76linard76 Member Posts: 10

Geez, when did this become such a forum to judge others? Scott wanted to take a quick getaway and chose both a city and accommodations I think are quite neat. Not everyone wants to glanp, or camp, or stay at the Howard Johnson but there are choices for all sorts of preferences and he is just sharing his story on his choice.

• schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Agree with linard76. Let people do their activities with judgment!

edited July 2014

@linard76 said:
    Geez, when did this become such a forum to judge others?

I didn't mean to judge his choice of vacation, just his choice of label for the type of vacation. But I guess after checking with http://glamping.com it seems his does qualify so I stand corrected. Except for the fact that it is a really stupid word or "sturd" if you will :)

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

As a Libertarian I am all for individual expression but, California is a strange place.

• glossgloss Member Posts: 150

I don't mind the concept, I'd just like the word to die.

• adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122

Staying in an old Airstream would be fun. I just don't get why the proprietor put them where he did. Need to at least have a campfire ring and roast some marshmallows to complete the effect. I get the idea. We "glamp" in a family cabin in the Smokey Mountains with pool, hot tub, game room, WiFi, and theatre room.

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

I know we don't usually see head-to-head comparisons across the long term fleet but I'd like to see how the Highlander compares to the MDX and the Santa Fe. These vehicles are pretty similar in terms of packaging and have more in common than I'm sure the Acura people would like to admit. But still. Let's hear it: Which drives the best? Which fits the most stuff? Which has the best tech? Which fits the car seats most easily.

• despy1despy1 Member Posts: 1

Call it whatever you want, but that is pretty far removed from actual camping. Mobile hotel maybe?

If they mow the grass at your destination it is not camping.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

@Stever-- that's a nice picture but it's not "glamping" unless you've got your barbecue grill outside the frame and games & movies cued up on your iPad inside the tent.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

We mostly go to town, if it's not too far, for dinner (that pic was in Decorah Iowa, home of several good restaurants with a bike path to the campground). And it's Wild West Pinball on the iPad sitting around the fire. B)

• tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30

@zimtheinvader said:
    side topic: am I the only one that is tired of how everything has to have a 'cute' word for what it is anymore? Seriously, people have been vacationing in trailers for years and people have been staying in cabins or cottages when vacationing for as long. So why does this need a fun combined word for what it is?

GET OFF MY LAWN!! lol

Why would cutesy words annoy you?

Go live your own life and stop worrying about others.