Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,168

I doubt they'd bother over such minor damage, yeah - especially if hard to prove other than witness statements. And by the time I gave the details to 911, the guy could have been miles away. Oh well. Guy in the truck was a real jerk, too - I didn't even think to take a video. More excitement than I've seen on the road here in awhile.

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

You did the right thing for the tourists, with the language barrier. It is possible they rented the Camry & when it is returned damaged, they can rely on your witness report that it wasn't their fault. Perhaps then, the damage cost will be waived by the rental car company.

It was an older Camry, I hope not a rental. That might have helped everyone - could probably do a 95% passable bumper scratch repair for under $10, and the light should be under $100 from a junkyard. If I had been the dbag in the truck, I'd have offered to pay myself rather than go through insurance. I hope his truck had damage he didn't see.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited July 2014

continuing the trend of observing texters more in boston area than anywhere else in USA:
    yesterday had a texter follow/mostly-tailgate me for 15 miles of my 20 mile highway commute, passing me and cutting off other traffic ahead (there was no room to go anywhere without many unsafe/cutoff lane changes.) this person was observably texting/surfing/looking-down for 95% of the 15+ miles as they were driving/tailgatoring behind me, only looking up briefly. it was actually somewhat impressive, while also being sad. i could not determine the gender of the driver partially because I could only see top of drivers head/forehead!

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

Evidently your area's LEO's do not think it a priority. This is surprising in that it is a slam dunk revenue source (if it is indeed against the law.) It puts one on real notice, especially if it also results in points on the driving record.

I think any state debt, if not national debt, could be paid simply by enforcing laws, and having brave local LEOs set up shop around NE 8th and Bellevue Way, enforcing nothing more than phone laws, crosswalks, and turn signals. It's insane how much stupidity one can see in a few block area every day.

Winners today - gaudy H2, "driver" with phone to his ear pulls up into a green signaled crosswalk with a pedestrian in it - almost a close call. Should be a massive double penalty. Saw a Tesla "driver" also playing with his phone. And do X5s have standard turn signals? I have doubts.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

I'll bet there are security cameras in that lot in Bellevue Square.

Probably 2003 vintage potatocams with pixels the size of your fist :)

Unfortunately, the tinted windows on the dbag truck obscured any positive ID.

I see a lot of tinted windows that are illegal, or probably should be.

All tinted windows should be outlawed so the LEO's can identify the outlaws.
    Hummers are the worst.

Evidently your area's LEO's do not think it a priority. This is surprising in that it is a slam dunk revenue source (if it is indeed against the law.) It puts one on real notice, especially if it also results in points on the driving record.

that is correct, u-r-king... much respect to LEOs, they do have bigger priorities and are rather busy around here lately.

computer-vision technology quite reliable. with old technology, computers can easily identify drivers texting. and all drivers speeding. and their license plate. and their photo (if they ever look up from texting). locally there are cameras/towers every mile on every recent/new highway in most local states.

"big brother is watching you text and speed. but he doesn't care. yet."

edited July 2014

please no more federal regulations. have you seen that many infants have died due to the passenger airbag mandate forcing parents to put infants in back seat - so some infants can be left in back seat to die in a hot car... back in the days before federal airbag regulations, approximately zero point zero infants were left to die in cars.

who is more important and deserving of federal protection/regulations, infants or non-infants?

for TINT laws, please lobby your state for the tint laws/percentages appropriate for your latitude/etc.

most vehicles have significant factory tint nowadays. zero-tint isn't even an option with most vehicles today/recently, right? however if you want zero tint, possibly look for vehicles with 'security glass' option.

have you seen the recent viral vid where the guy tries the supposed 'trick' of driving with windows down to prevent LEOs from noticing TINT ?

Who even sees hummers any more? Where did they all go? Cash for clunkers? (CFC, another example of federal govt wasting fuel and costing consumers $$$ via the used-car market & vehicular wealth redistribution)?

It's getting fun again to see hummers on the road, they seem relatively rare . I like yellow ones. One dude around here has one of the earliest H1/diesels. Nice. Yellow of course.

@euphonium said:
    All tinted windows should be outlawed so the LEO's can identify the outlaws.
    Hummers are the worst.

edited July 2014

@elias said:

One of the things that both the NHTSA and each states' data has convinced me of is how LOCAL a lot of issues ARE.

So for example, given your "texting example", it would appear it is a tad like DUI " drunk" driving with little to no enforcement. The percentages can be widely and wildly different from state to state. I have read that (back in the day) when DUI was fully 40-45% of contributing factors to both accidents and fatalities (NHTSA data indicate it has gone down "significantly") that a "cited or caught or causing accidents or fatalities, DUI driver" had really driven app 1,000 to 2,000 times BEFORE with no accident, being caught etc. What that is currently IS, I have no idea.

So your posting is an interesting example of that. It is NOT a respect for LEO issue. (which is why I said YOUR AREA'S LEO's) My take away is AFTER the fact, it is a "SCOURGE" !!! BEFORE that (999-1999 /1000 to 2,000) ah, .... not so much.

Possibly related, It will be interesting how CO will set the standards given higher levels of manufactured THC levels in now "LEGAL" MJ, will be a concern going forward.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,360

The problem with marijuana is that the readily obtainable tests are qualitative and not quantitative; they can tell you some one has smoked it within the past two weeks, but not exactly when- or how much...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That has always been true. Your post might imply that is probably just one complication. But objective measures are not ALWAYS fair. So for broader consumption: fore warned is fore armed.

So for example, years ago I had conducted a safety briefing to show a load of folks what could possible happen in the real world. We literally got a man and women to consume (alcohol) in various levels and put them behind the wheel of a car and breathalyzer, administered by the local state highway patrol. The results were a little all over the place.

Well, I just might have a miniscule bit of insight into the problem. It's certainly not news that individuals metabolize alcohol at significantly different rates OR that some people perform better(or worse) for a given BAC than others. That's why the per se laws became nearly uniform across all 50 states.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited July 2014

@roadburner said:
    Well, I just might have a miniscule bit of insight into the problem. It's certainly not news that individuals metabolize alcohol at significantly different rates OR that some people perform better(or worse) for a given BAC than others. That's why the per se laws became nearly uniform across all 50 states.

It appears then you agree with me. But some how you are glossing over the distinctions. Again right now only 1/50 states and other territories like PR, AM Samoa and the like, call MJ "legal". (so it is partly true when OBAMA responded 58 states) So it is oxymoronic to have consistent MJ laws across ALL 50 states !!! Indeed for the other 49 states, using CO MJ laws (as model) would be disingenuous.

My only comment regarding marijuana laws is that it will be virtually impossible to have a per se statute due to the fact that the current practical tests cannot determine either the amount used(consumed?) or a what time it was used.
    In one case I had a kid who was stopped at a sobriety checkpoint. The LEO smelled the Demon Weed and asked the kid if he had been smoking it. The kid admitted it and the LEO arrested him for DUI. The case was dismissed because the LEO had not observed any impaired driving and had failed to require the kid to perform any field sobriety tests...

edited July 2014

@roadburner said:
    My only comment regarding marijuana laws is that it will be virtually impossible to have a per se statute due to the fact that the current practical tests cannot determine either the amount used(consumed?) or a what time it was used.
    In one case I had a kid who was stopped at a sobriety checkpoint. The LEO smelled the Demon Weed and asked the kid if he had been smoking it. The kid admitted it and the LEO arrested him for DUI. The case was dismissed because the LEO had not observed any impaired driving and had failed to require the kid to perform any field sobriety tests...

So was the "kid" rewarded for being "honest" or was the LEO being "cited" for not dotting I's and crossing T's, (aka, sloppy CYA)? It would seem that if it was a hoopla "sobriety " checkpoint, just that alone really met the "task @ hand" definition, a "duh" moment? So if the kid is now asked: (employment, border check question,) have you ever been arrested? How does he have to respond?

It is really no big deal for the LEO, he gets his appear in court O/T (beats getting shot @ and cursed out duty and @ less money) and perhaps free to discounted donuts. What is not to like?

Not that I am a "fan" of field sobriety checkpoints.

Perhaps this guy could use that ruling

http://www.mercurynews.com/central-coast/ci_26141054/scotts-valley-traffic-stop-nets-31-grams-meth

He wasn't even the driver.

The LEO wasn't from our are; he was brought in to assist on a big anti-DUI push. I couldn't bereave the LEO thought that was a good arrest. You have to have SOME evidence of impaired driving if you aren't charging an individual with a per se violation. As for the kid, since the case was dismissed with prejudice he could immediately petition to have his record expunged...

Drove through Mt. Rainier National Park yesterday - most drivers were courteous, even had a slow moving large truck/5th wheel hauler move over to let people to go by. Worst passes were by a BMW and Audi (surprise) who felt the need to double the limit and/or pass in no passing zones. A late model A6 was especially bad, having to sharply pull back from a pass in a no passing zone for oncoming traffic he didn't initially notice. Some drivers live to ensure their cars continue to receive classic stereotypes.

Regarding THC driving, it will be an issue where I am, too. There was a fatality in my area last year due to a high driver. The legal cabal hasn't done much to set any standards or guidelines. Very busy with other things, I'm sure.

Regarding the "Hummer" mention earlier, it was an H2, which of course is a Yukon in drag, sold to semi-literates who somehow fell into enough money to keep the compensator in fuel. That vehicle represented everything wrong with the US in the early 00s.

edited July 2014

@fintail said:
    Drove through Mt. Rainier National Park yesterday - most drivers were courteous, even had a slow moving large truck/5th wheel hauler move over to let people to go by. Worst passes were by a BMW and Audi (surprise) who felt the need to double the limit and/or pass in no passing zones. A late model A6 was especially bad, having to sharply pull back from a pass in a no passing zone for oncoming traffic he didn't initially notice. Some drivers live to ensure their cars continue to receive classic stereotypes.

Regarding THC driving, it will be an issue where I am, too. There was a fatality in my area last year due to a high driver. The legal cabal hasn't done much to set any standards or guidelines. Very busy with other things, I'm sure.

Regarding the "Hummer" mention earlier, it was an H2, which of course is a Yukon in drag, sold to semi-literates who somehow fell into enough money to keep the compensator in fuel. That vehicle represented everything wrong with the US in the early 00s.

My money is on going the way of AL KEY HALL DUI's, AKA, not good at all. Despite the figurative and literal STAGGERING costs (9 B http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=7888) , I get the feeling it is a small percentage of the tax and fee revenue it actually generated.

We just had a well published case of an old geezer (74 years young) fond of drinking and getting behind the wheel of an SUV. He has caused serious bodily injury to a bicyclist. In addition, it was a hit and run. This of course has FELONY written all over it, but, .... what do I know? He has been arrested and charged for DUI more than once. http://www.mercurynews.com/News/ci_26111345/Notorious-Saratoga-hitandrun-driver-facing-another-DUI-charge.

I guess the system is waiting for him to cause multiple fatalities. Makes me wonder what would be poetic justice in his case.

This one is an interesting take on "drinking @ home". http://www.mercurynews.com/News/ci_25956043/San-Jose-man-faces-four-years

edited July 2014

Had an entertaining attempt of a compact car driver trying to make a right hand lane change from the #2 lane to the #3 lane with me in the #3 (SLOW) lane, 12 in off my left side front bumper, to do a right handed exit in the # 4 exit lane. The car behind me was following @ the 6 way too close, so I opted to move forward out of his (the lane change idiot) way to create some space. He almost crashed into me @ my six. Evidently he took umbrage to this and drove ahead of me in the #4 (exit lane) to register his displeasure as he made the #4 lane exit.

WOW he had enough time to flip me the bird, but not enough time to get into the #3 lane EARLIER, and almost cause 2 crashes with me (front/rear, and of the guy who was behind me, but now behind him.) Due to bird flipping he almost didn't make the #4 lane exit CURVE. ;)

edited July 2014

This afternoon, saw a newer Ferrari (458 I think) weaving through traffic with no signals. Nice to see that segment of the socio-economic spectrum showing that accountability and responsibility build success.

Also, tinted windows of sketchy legality (yes, this should be regulated) seem to be as standard a feature on late model Range Rovers as the turn signal delete option is on the X5.

And topped it off with tons of phone holders. Zero enforcement.

edited July 2014

Saw the trifecta today: bright blue X6 - check. "Law Enforcement Memorial" plates - check. Phone held to ear while "driving" - check. Should be a five figure fine. Also saw phone holding dopes in a GL and Range Rover - or at least I am pretty sure about the latter, as the once again dark windows made it impossible to be 100% certain.

finny, be happy they are on the phone talking - otherwise they would be texting.
    locally i notice that most everyone locally texts while stopped at stoplights, without trying to hide it like they do while driving.

That Schiro case is probably yet another of money buying justice. If he didn't have a nice Escalade and a gated driveway, he'd probably face different justice. Thanks judges and prosecutors for working so hard and earning those benefits.

@ruking1 said:
    This one is an interesting take on "drinking @ home". http://www.mercurynews.com/News/ci_25956043/San-Jose-man-faces-four-years

I don't mind if people fool around at a red light, provided they are also attentive and get going upon green (difficult, I know). I think in most places, phone use when not in motion isn't a crime. But dawdling at green should be.

Got behind a neglected Corolla today, several young occupants, I could see the driver playing with his phone, in plain sight. He was driving OK, but then randomly jammed on the brakes and slowly entered a McDonalds driveway. I laid on the horn, which didn't even make a glance - people very self-involved. With no fear of enforcement, why not?

@elias said:
    finny, be happy they are on the phone talking - otherwise they would be texting.
    locally i notice that most everyone locally texts while stopped at stoplights, without trying to hide it like they do while driving.

edited July 2014

texting while stopped at red light is most definitely a traffic violation. one local town actually enforces it (rarely).

last night at hampton beach NH a teen girl in minivan was texting while driving towards a crowded crosswalk, in sight of ~300 people, and 30 feet beyond a checkpoint with 2 NH state troopers and 2 Hampton cops. they seemed to be pulling over drivers at random and checking license/registration/sobriety.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,946

NJ amended the law. Starting the beginning of this month, texting while at a red light is also a ticketable offense.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I swear I have seen catches in the law that have to do with the vehicle in motion. No doubt it varies state by state.

Of course, none of it matters if the brave warriors aren't going to enforce it consistently and visibly. In my area, they claim to have issued x tickets, but I'd love to see an independent audit of such claims (union rules probably prohibit such examination).

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

MUSTANG on two lane road in Napa Wine County, 50 mph limit, doing about...maybe....25. Left blinker perpetually ON, random brake lights...long line of cars behind him? her? it?...finally turns right into plant nursery with left blinker still on.

May God help us all. ;(

I swear, massive debt problems could be solved simply by our brave warrior class enforcing turn signal laws. The lack of them today was jaw-dropping, felt like I was surrounded by BMWs and Range Rovers.

Winner today - 90s Subaru Legacy in that neglected but not beat up condition that seems natural for Subaru owners. Crawling maybe 5 under, left lane of a suburban arterial, right signal on but no plans to move right, wipers on full blast during a very light rain.

First you have to clean off the bugs, then you can switch to slow for the rain.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,686

Yesterday, on two separate occasions, I saw drivers put on their left turn signal, only to make a right turn! Is lysdexia that common these days? :p

I don't think bugs were an issue in the rain yesterday. I think it's the Seattle area timid-freakout thing - "OMG its raining, panic, tap the brakes and put the wipers on full speed!" Maybe the wipers were loud enough to drown out the signal.

Dyslexic signals aren't uncommon around the NE 8th/Bellevue Way mess - of course, no signals are much more common.

@euphonium said:
    First you have to clean off the bugs, then you can switch to slow for the rain.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,686

On the subject of texting...I think it varies by state. In Maryland I think you're allowed to do it while stopped at a red light. Of course, that means you're most likely not going to notice when it turns green, so you're going to hold up traffic, even if just for a moment.

Today in horrible 405 traffic - got behind an 07 or so Accord that would keep a huge distance between it and the vehicle it was following. When someone would move in - hit the brakes. This was happening a few times a minute, driving me nuts.

Lots of phone holders and non signalers on 405 and 5 today.

fintail, that accord driver was displaying classic texting-while-driving protocol... :}

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@fintail said:
    Today in horrible 405 traffic - got behind an 07 or so Accord that would keep a huge distance between it and the vehicle it was following. When someone would move in - hit the brakes. This was happening a few times a minute, driving me nuts.

Lots of phone holders and non signalers on 405 and 5 today.

I have family that lives in the SF bay area, that was up around Seattle earlier this week. These are folks who know passive/aggressive driving.

They were stunned, STUNNED I say, witnessing drivers in the Seattle area.

I will not doubt you when you describe the antics...

Passive-aggressive is a classic Seattle trait, and no doubt texting or some kind of distraction was at play. I couldn't tell, as the car randomly veered off towards an exit and I couldn't get a look at the driver. Later on that drive, I had a late model Range Rover behind me that was driving similar - huge gap, and slow to respond to speed changes.

Western WA, and to some extent, OR, is definitely a different place to drive.

@slorenzen said:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited July 2014

I would say the most barbaric, inconsiderate, reckless, arrogant,, mindless and ultimately doomed drivers are some of the motorcycle drivers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Lane-splitting at 75 mph? Really?
    Passing on the right without signaling at 80 mph?
    Tailgating a semi?

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I would say the most barbaric, inconsiderate, reckless, arrogant,, mindless and ultimately doomed drivers are motorcycle drivers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The lane-dancing(splitting) always freaked me out when I lived there. I had one guy flatten my right-side rear view mirror while stuck in traffic on the Hayward bridge once. He hit it at about 45 MPH while I was stopped. I was driving a van with no windows on the right side...made for a scary drive until I could get it fixed.

15 years ago. Stopped on the I-5 bridge, Columbia River. Lane splitting M/C was zooming past the stopped traffic until a semi driver suddenly opened his passenger door not soon enough before the biker splat into it.

The best part about that is that lane splitting is not only terribly dangerous in a place with the innate driving skill of western WA/OR, it also isn't legal. You couldn't pay me to do it. I am already to the point where I don't want to ride a motorcycle during normal traffic hours (say 7AM-8PM M-F) in the Seattle area.

My experience: Alpine ski racing is safer than motorbiking.

Over the past week I drove a few hundred miles, mostly on highways. Saw the usual LLCs, which I guess are a fact of life living in this part of the world - none were too bad anyway. Funniest fast car on a state highway was a jacked up mid 80s Ford truck with a dirtbike in the bed - just the kind of poor handling unstable rig that should be moving faster than any other vehicle. A middle aged woman being aggressive on a Harley was amusing too.

Back in the city today, saw the usual bevvy of phone holders and texters, no enforcement, why not?

Some guys drive a "lowered" vehicle because they can't get it up!

Some drive a lifted truck because it's the only thing they can get up B)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154

Reminds me of a white RAM truck that passed me in the third lane, middle turn lane, in our 35 mph zone. I told the dispatcher it was one of those trucks for guys with too much testosterone. He had construction stuff in the back like he was hurrying to a job site where lots of new houses were being built in our city.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907

Survived the weekend in the I-5/405 nightmare (or should I say the parking lot that is 405). Worst part of the trip was the post-rolling slowdown on Snoqualmie eastbound. Took another 40 miles to untangle that clot of traffic before it cleared out to normal levels. WADOT missed the boat on that one. Pretty nice alternative? SR900 between Issaquah & Renton.