Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sedan Dethroned as Most Popular Body Style in America | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in General
imageSedan Dethroned as Most Popular Body Style in America | Edmunds.com

SUVs and crossover vehicles have overtaken sedans as the most popular vehicle body style in the U.S.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Let's face it, SUV's have a lot more utility than sedans, and with mpg improving, I think people are better able to justify these purchases.

• Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171

Unfortunate for those of us who do want vehicles with a tail- or lift- gate but will not buy ones that are tall or lifted.

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690

I can actually see the charm. Plus, it seems like in more recent times, sedans have gotten less and less useful. Long gone are the days when a sedan could carry six people, gulp down all their luggage in a cavernous trunk, and tow a trailer of up to 7,000 lb.

I used to be of the belief that I'd never drive an SUV, as I've always driven coupes and sedans, both pillared and hardtop, in the past. But now, I do a lot of my driving in a 2012 Dodge Ram pickup, and have gotten used to the generous headroom and the high seating position...not just high off the road, but high off the floor.

I figured if I ever got another new car, it would be something like a Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, or maybe a Chevy Impala. But, I could actually see myself in something like a Dodge Durango. I guess time will tell, though, when it comes time to buy

• Options
    corollamikecorollamike Member Posts: 29

Europe loves the hatchback, so why wouldn't we? All the makers, except Toyota, have a C-class hatch, and for good reason: they're just plain COOL.

• Options
    engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11

Sports Cars yesterday, today and forever!

• Options
    transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213

SUVs yesterday, today, and forever!

• Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

Feh! I'd rather stick a red hot flaming barbecue poker in my eye than buy an SUV. Give me a traditional sedan or station wagon any day!

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690

@lemko said:
    Feh! I'd rather stick a red hot flaming barbecue poker in my eye than buy an SUV. Give me a traditional sedan or station wagon any day!

>

Actually, that might be one reason I like the Durango. It's style and shape don't look so much like a typical SUV to me, but more like a jacked up station wagon. Sort of like what a '69 Coronet or Satellite wagon could have evolved into, just jacked up for ground clearance.