Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sedan Dethroned as Most Popular Body Style in America | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in General
imageSedan Dethroned as Most Popular Body Style in America | Edmunds.com

SUVs and crossover vehicles have overtaken sedans as the most popular vehicle body style in the U.S.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Let's face it, SUV's have a lot more utility than sedans, and with mpg improving, I think people are better able to justify these purchases.

• bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171

Unfortunate for those of us who do want vehicles with a tail- or lift- gate but will not buy ones that are tall or lifted.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684

I can actually see the charm. Plus, it seems like in more recent times, sedans have gotten less and less useful. Long gone are the days when a sedan could carry six people, gulp down all their luggage in a cavernous trunk, and tow a trailer of up to 7,000 lb.

I used to be of the belief that I'd never drive an SUV, as I've always driven coupes and sedans, both pillared and hardtop, in the past. But now, I do a lot of my driving in a 2012 Dodge Ram pickup, and have gotten used to the generous headroom and the high seating position...not just high off the road, but high off the floor.

I figured if I ever got another new car, it would be something like a Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, or maybe a Chevy Impala. But, I could actually see myself in something like a Dodge Durango. I guess time will tell, though, when it comes time to buy

• corollamikecorollamike Member Posts: 29

Europe loves the hatchback, so why wouldn't we? All the makers, except Toyota, have a C-class hatch, and for good reason: they're just plain COOL.

• engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11

Sports Cars yesterday, today and forever!

• transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213

SUVs yesterday, today, and forever!

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

Feh! I'd rather stick a red hot flaming barbecue poker in my eye than buy an SUV. Give me a traditional sedan or station wagon any day!

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684

@lemko said:
    Feh! I'd rather stick a red hot flaming barbecue poker in my eye than buy an SUV. Give me a traditional sedan or station wagon any day!

>

Actually, that might be one reason I like the Durango. It's style and shape don't look so much like a typical SUV to me, but more like a jacked up station wagon. Sort of like what a '69 Coronet or Satellite wagon could have evolved into, just jacked up for ground clearance.