Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Inner driving enthusiast is looking for a different car (on a budget).

bullitt_68bullitt_68 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in General

Hi Everyone. This is my first post. I've been an Edmunds fan for years and I have faith that people here in the community will be able to help me.

After an exhaustive search, I bought a new 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT last year. I drove many, many cars but the GT was probably the best all-around car I drove. It has tons of features, is very comfortable, and seems to be reliable. The gas mileage is also very good as long as it's driven with a light foot.

However, I've come to realize that my inner driving enthusiast is having a hard time getting past the lack of power and responsiveness. I drove a 6-speed VW GTI for years and had a great time with it. I miss that feeling I had when I could go out on a drive and have the car do just what I was thinking, if you know what I mean.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm thinking about selling my GT and getting back into a car that's geared more towards driving fun. The problem is, I know that I would lose a lot in terms of resale value with the GT. The only way I know how to get around that somewhat is to buy a used car that's a good bit cheaper than what I paid for the GT.

So, that said, what "enthusiast" used cars would you guys recommend I consider for around $17-18k? Keep in mind that I prefer smaller cars but I still want to have some utility so the Miatas and S2000's of the world are out. I also don't want to own another GTI because I didn't have too much luck in terms of reliability with the one I owned before.

Also, any other advice to help with my situation would be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

Mazdaspeed 3, Genesis Coupe, 128i, RX8

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557

Depends largely on how old/high miles you are willing to go.

Subaru WRX is another option. Volvo C30. Chevy Cobalt SS.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

Previous generation Civic Si - 2006-2011 model years. Should be able to find a later model with reasonable miles in that price range. Fun, reliable, and certainly practical in the sedan form.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

just a mazda3s wagon would be better, IMHO. No need for the added cost and complexity of the mazdaspeed.

WRX wagon would certainly be near the top of my list.

Volvo V50 T5.

I'll even throw a new one out there for you. A Kia Forte 5-door SX manual. 200hp turbo, under 3k lbs, and can be had for just over $19k.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

Ooh - that Forte is pretty darn nice. Good one.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    bullitt_68bullitt_68 Member Posts: 2

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I test drove a 2013 Volvo C30 T5 yesterday (not the R Design model). It had nice power but the driving dynamics were more like a family sedan. Lots of play in the steering wheel and the handling wasn't nearly as sharp as I would like. My Elantra GT handles much better.

I've looked around for a WRX but, man, those things must really hold their value. Even the older ones with high miles are pretty expensive. I might look at used Mini Cooper S's soon (regular and Clubman) just for the heck of it. The Scion/Subaru FT86 twins would be nice, too, but a little out of the price range I'd like to stay in.