Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Choose!

Comments

• cherri4cherri4 Posts: 7

Go for Intrigue its nice.

• Hello everyone, I am planning to lease a lexus 2014 IS250 F sport for 27 month, 10,000miles/year. msrp of the vehicle is $45,482. adjusted price $39,682. I am leasing the car in New York. the deal I got was $2700 down including everything and $300/month. can you please let me know how good the deal is ?

• wheels29wheels29 Posts: 31

Hi, can you help me choose a car to buy based on my criteria? I recently accepted a new job out of town (it's a local area trucking job), and my 22 year old Ford truck is not suited for the commute. I want to buy a new car this week. But my time to do research is limited. I am hoping some of you here are knee-deep in research, and can share what you know. My price range is 16K-18K. I want the most car I can get after rebates and special incentives. I have excellent credit so I will be able to qualify for 0% financing if it is offered. My first choice of vehicle would be a Ford truck, but I just don't think I will be able to make that happen. My second choice of vehicle would be a sedan, Camry is a good example. If I can't make a full-sized sedan a reality, then a mid-sized sedan would be next, such as the Chevy Cruze. If I must settle for a compact car, then I really want one that gives me the most bang for my buck. Something that is on-sale, and offers great incentives. Thank you for your help. My Google search for "best car deals in July" really did not help much.

• suydamsuydam Posts: 3,304

You might want to start here. http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-cars-under-dollar20000#1
    Honda Fit or something like Kia Soul. Also check out Hyundai Elantra.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,357

First thing to do is to decide what car you want. If price is the main concern, I think the Nissan Versa or the Smart4Two are the cheapest cars sold in the U.S.

That doesn't mean they're good cars (they aren't), just the cheapest. I would also look at how much they cost to operate and repair, as that figures into it as well.

From what has been suggested, I think a Honda Fit is a good idea. It's versatile. It's very reliable (Hondas always are) and likely to last a long time, It's inexpensive to operate, too.

Look here...http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html?mktcat=tco&kw=true+cost+to+own&mktid=ga56677242&gclid=CjwKEAjw9LKeBRDurOugs43jnlgSJACUXqHx0OTyseVCiiM8ps88tf3EF_8Mg43oNMVoCpRpns8HSRoCB2Dw_wcB

Not sure about financing these days. I know up until a few years ago, a dealer could finance just about anyone for anything with no money down. But, I understand things have tightened up just as quickly. So, probably not a bad idea to scrape together at least 10% down before walking into a dealership.

Even a lease is going to require first month's payment, license fees, lease inception fees, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,847

well, of course, a lease doesn't REQUIRE you put that money down. You can roll it into the payment.

Browse truecar.com to get an idea of street prices.

Just to name a couple, a Kia Rio LX sedan with automatic and power package, with msrp of $17,160, is listed there for $15,924. A mazda3 svi automatic with msrp of $18790 is $17432. A mazda2 sport automatic at $16355 list is showing up for $12,380. I think that last one might be your winner.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,911

Right now I think the best bang for your buck out there is the 2014 Sonata GLS. Hyundai has big incentives on it to move them out for the new 2015s. It's a mid-sized sedan but in the EPA full-sized class based on interior room. You can easily find these for under $18k nicely equipped (get the Preferred Package with alloys and heated seats). I've leased one since November 2012, mostly for my wife but I get to drive it quite a bit too. It's a good highway cruiser, has a smooth ride and gets excellent fuel economy on the highway especially if you keep it under 70. Comfortable driver's seat, especially with the heated power seat in the Preferred Package. Doesn't have as crisp of handling as something like the Mazda6 or Accord, but costs a lot less. Another plus is the 5-year bumper to bumper warranty and 10-year powertrain warranty.

You might be able to find a great deal on a closeout 2014.5 Camry too if you prefer that car. IMO I prefer the Sonata for its styling (inside and out) and warranty, but the Camry is a solid choice also for a commuting car.

I'd stay away from the Cruze if I were you. Much tighter inside than a Sonata or Camry, FE is no better unless you get the diesel or high FE model, has very sloppy steering IMO, and price-wise I don't think you'll save very much. Also Consumer Reports says the Cruze has been unreliable.

@wheels29 said:
    Hi, can you help me choose a car to buy based on my criteria? I recently accepted a new job out of town (it's a local area trucking job), and my 22 year old Ford truck is not suited for the commute. I want to buy a new car this week. But my time to do research is limited. I am hoping some of you here are knee-deep in research, and can share what you know. My price range is 16K-18K. I want the most car I can get after rebates and special incentives. I have excellent credit so I will be able to qualify for 0% financing if it is offered. My first choice of vehicle would be a Ford truck, but I just don't think I will be able to make that happen. My second choice of vehicle would be a sedan, Camry is a good example. If I can't make a full-sized sedan a reality, then a mid-sized sedan would be next, such as the Chevy Cruze. If I must settle for a compact car, then I really want one that gives me the most bang for my buck. Something that is on-sale, and offers great incentives. Thank you for your help. My Google search for "best car deals in July" really did not help much.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,357

@qbrozen said:
    well, of course, a lease doesn't REQUIRE you put that money down. You can roll it into the payment.

Browse truecar.com to get an idea of street prices.

Just to name a couple, a Kia Rio LX sedan with automatic and power package, with msrp of $17,160, is listed there for $15,924. A mazda3 svi automatic with msrp of $18790 is $17432. A mazda2 sport automatic at $16355 list is showing up for $12,380. I think that last one might be your winner.

Q....I didn't know you didn't have to put money down on a lease. I thought it was first and maybe last month's payment, plus bank a licensing fees.

I learn something new every day.

2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 68,032
    edited July 2014

@graphicguy said:
    I learn something new every day.

It depends on the state ... but, you can roll most of the up-front costs into the lease; the trade-off is that you'll pay a higher interest rate (money factor) in return.

When I leased my Hyundai last November, I only gave them a check for the first month's payment - everything else was covered by the lease cash that was currently available.

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Posts: 26,728

When my son leased his Jetta it was all in. Only thing he gave them was a signature and a hand shake

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

I still think Honda Fit is best overall choice. Versatile, inexpensive, good on gas and cheap to maintain. It will be less than new Camry or Sonata too.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • texasestexases Posts: 7,960

While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

I agree. Also, a base Fit (LX) with CVT (to reduce engine RPMs and noise and for better FE) is $17k, and good luck getting much of a discount on this all-new car. That's very close to what a 2014 Sonata GLS would run, and only a little less than a 2014.5 Camry LE.

Also the OP said "sedan", and the Fit isn't a sedan. Although I prefer hatchbacks myself.

@texases said:
    While I like the Fit, if a lot of highway miles are involved I've read lots of noise complaints. So a good long test drive is in order, over the types of roads/speeds/distance expected in daily use.

True. Then I'd suggest a Hyundai Elantra. A leftover '14 will be $15k or less. You won't get a '14 Camry for that. Elantra is a pretty decent commuter car too.

'17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Actually, because of the big incentives on leftover Sonatas right now, they turn out to be a better deal than the leftover Elantras. And the Sonata is a much nicer car than the Elantra. You might be able to get an Elantra for $15k, with a stick. I think it would be closer to $16k. But a Sonata with the 6AT, much more power and room and more comfortable, wouldn't be much more.

Example of what I mean: at my local dealer, a sign-and-drive 3-year lease on the 2014 Elantra SE (base model) is $189/month. But for the Sonata GLS it's only $10 more per month. For $10 more a month, $360 over 3 years, I'd take the Sonata.

That's for a lease. To buy Elantras are a couple grand cheaper.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

On Fitzmall (for example), the difference is about $1500, base Elantra AT to base Sonata AT. Thus I'd go with the lease... $199/month with nothing up front for 36 months is a great deal for a car like the Sonata.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 26,728

backy, that is why I have been seriously considering a lease now. Camry, Altima, Sonata are all pretty much readily available for right about that $200 _+ tax (so ~$215/mo) will very little cash up front. Lot of car for the money if you are OK with a basic model (cloth, no moonroof, no power seats, stuff like that).

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    edited July 2014

You can get a base model Mustang with nothing on it for 18K right now (just look for the loss leader ads in the local papers). It's an excellent step up from a typical econobox and is great for long commutes. The base model has all of the features most economy cars have at their upper trim levels. The "base" stereo is crazy loud, it has alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, power windows, power doors, and on and on. It's as nicely optioned as a normal trim Camry or Accord. It even turns the interior lights off if you forget to do so.

Without a doubt it's the most bang for the buck right now. Ford is dumping them left and right in order to make room for the 2015 re-design, which is only a little better. The new ones are going to be 24K, though, and no discounts. At 6K less, the 2014s are an absolute steal.

I just got 27mpg on mine my last tank and the 305hp makes it a blast to drive. The long wheelbase and high profile 17" tires also makes for a ride that sorry to say, no Fit or Civic or Focus will match.

Drive one. Then try to not grin.

Yes, it's over the budget. My budget was the same and I drove everything I could - literally dozens of cars. And in the end, I paid the little bit extra for a similar deal. I just couldn't deal with the reality of driving a gutless little tin can after driving big cars and SUVs for years.

• I hope that you make the right choice!