Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Lumina

1111213141517»

Comments

• wayne1965wayne1965 Member Posts: 4
    I have got a 1990 chevy lumina with 3.1 engine I just pick it up and now it doesnt wont to turn over it sound like it not getting the fuel. I replace the fuel filter today.
    It the switch on the break pedal. if you have 3 wire that will come on top
  • cmpinggrlcmpinggrl Member Posts: 1
    My car was driving fine, then just wouldn't go. The engine revs up, but will not go into ANY gear. I do have a small transmission fluid leak, I am going to try and make sure that is not the problem. I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas it could be if the fluid does not fix the problem?
    it ur transmission the band is wore out in the transmission
  • lovesmistlovesmist Member Posts: 1
    My rear view mirror detached from the windshield the other day. I bought a kit to reattach it... but I can't figure out how to get the metal plate off the base. I can't find a button or screw or any way to get it to move past the lip that it has to slide across. Can anyone explain how to do this, please. Thanks!
  • woodyonewoodyone Member Posts: 8
    We were stopped at a red light. The light changed and we started to move however the RPM'S increased dramatically compared to what it usually does. The noise coming home was like a whining noise. This is not the first time. Could this be transmission related?
    Woody
  • cj9113cj9113 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 95 lumina and the voltage light all of the sudden came on. checked the battery and the battery is fully charged. could it be the alternator that is going. need help
  • gbm29gbm29 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Lumina Euro and it has 196,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems with the gasket.
  • carsrebellingcarsrebelling Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same problems with my 2000 lumina and no one i talk to seems to know whats the deal with it i have been told several things could be the problem what ended up being the fix for yours? if i may ask
  • randyltdfdrandyltdfd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Chevy Lumina. All my light's work fine except for some reason when i turn on the left turn signal my right brake light goes off. When i do the oppisite side everything work's good. This is the only light problem i have. All the wiring and connector's are good. Any body got any idea's
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Old post, anyway the glue dries very quickly. I wouldn't bother detaching it. Simply apply the glue to the base of the mirror and the spot on the windshield and apply some pressure while holding it in place. It dries in a few minutes. Good luck.
  • loriq1loriq1 Member Posts: 4

@ssmart said:
    To pipes3k,

Yes the pcv valve is a pain to get to on the 3.1. I never did replace mine because of the cost involved just to get to the bang thing. You cannot see it without disassembling the top of the engine according to my mechanic who was the shop foreman for years with a Chevy dealer.

Are you serious? I own a 1998 Chevy Lumina and the pcv valve is right on top of the valve pan which is clearly visible! Your mechanic is either blind or just dumb!

@fathertyricius said:
    The vent problem that I experienced as per described in post #268 was repaired. The problem was a split vacuum hose, just like Nafrong00 predicted. The hose was located under the battery. It took a while for the mechanic to find. He started tracing from under the dash board towards the engine block checking every hose. At least all my hoses were checked. Everything is up and running well. Thank you Mr.Goodwrench.

Did you thank "Mr. Goodwrench" for the bill?

@rooba10 said:
    For all of you to know, Chevy Lumina is built in Oshawa, Canada. It has always been built there since GM started building Lumina's in 1988. Chevy Lumina, Impala, Monte Carlo, and Buick Century and Regal are all built in Oshawa. That plant has one of the best paint shop in GM. I have never seen a Lumina with peeling paint, although I have seen a lot of S-10's, C/K trucks, and Grand Am's. Chevy Lumina with 3.1L and 3.8L engines are excellent buys, stay away from 3.4L DOHC engines found only in Luminas, Grand Prix, and Cutlass Supremes. Buick never used that engine. The alternators in earlier model GM 2.8 and 3.1L was a problem, so was the rear disc brakes until they switched to rear drums in 95.

Last year, 2000MY was the last year for public to be able to purchase Lumina from the Chevy dealers. in 2000CY ( part 2000 and part 2001) only some 45,000 Lumina were built for fleet use only. GM will stop building Lumina's all together this year.

If you are looking for a good, roomy, and reliable car, look for 95-99 Lumina's.

Uh huh but are you also aware that the rocker panels under both front doors rust out prematurely? They also rust out below the fuel door. What good is good paint if the thing rusts out quickly?

@ssmart said:
    Amen to staying away from the 3.4 liter DOHC engine. I never had one. My 90 Eurosport had a 3.1, but I heard more than 1 mechanic warn about that engine. They say it is very complicated, but however powerful.

LOL How is a 3.1 liter enfine complicated?

• lumina97lumina97 Member Posts: 1
    @loriq1 you are correct, they are rust buckets. Bottom of doors, that stupid/poorly designed fuel door panel, etc. But I love mine! I have had my '97 Lumina LS 3.1L since 2004 and driven the crap out of that thing. I used it like a truck, packing it full of horse feed and construction material. I was hit on the highway and taken into the cement wall and I drove off with the bumper in the back. Bent the bumper reinforcement, hood, side fenders, and bent the radiator slightly. Couple months later a 8-point buck decided to finish off the hood for me. All that happened around 200,000+ miles. Fixed the bumper and replaced the hood/side panels, and head lamps. Still ran great! Unfortunately, I had to retire her last week at 345,000+ miles. Trailing arm rusted completely off and I lost the fuel regulator at about the same time. If I could find a good body I would drop that motor in it in a heartbeat, because that thing wants to keep going. Best car EVER! Was still getting 400+ miles/tank of gas. I wish I could have found one, but couldn't. So, had to get a new Chevy and tarp the Lumina. :( I know pretty much everything there is to know about maintaining these cars and what/when/where something is going to need fixing.
  • sealant1sealant1 Member Posts: 2
    I still have my 1996 Lumina with the 3.1 that I bought used in late '96. I was a young family man at that time with a 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter. Since then I have put on 290,000 miles. My son drove it when he was old enough until he went to college, then my daughter drove it for two years in high school. I then put a tarp on it and put in storage. Three months ago, I pulled it back out, drained the old bad gas, replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the injectors. I put a few miles on it and ran it through emissions where it passed with flying colors. Now my baby daughter who is turning 16 gets to drive it in high school. She's not too happy about that but Oh well, take it or leave it sweetheart, lol. I have a feeling that she will grudgingly take it just like my other kids and when she's through who knows, I may have some grand kids that need a car in the future. Love the old Lumina.