Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

Glad you survived it, Paul!

I managed to get caught by a flagger this morning as they were setting up a "construction zone" (annual pavement topping on a crumbling portion of road in lieu of actually fixing the problem) that was about 1/8-mile long. A diesel pickup was directly in front of me (first car in line). We waited there for fifteen minutes as they slowly placed a line of cones.

I felt highly annoyed during this time considering the ease with which we could have filed through the area rather than sitting at full-stop (both directions). However, when he finally turned his sign to "slow," I was able to control my impulse to zoom out of there. The truck in front was not so able, apparently. He burned rubber as he launched through there at 60+. LOL

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Nothing too exciting in the upper Midwest, just some left lane campers on I-75 south of da bridge.

• hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907

Had a few of those over the 600+ miles of the weekend. Easily resolved with a well-executed lane change and a little extra pressure on the right pedal. Yes. they're idiots, but for the most park, they know not what they do.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,984

@hammerhead said:
    Had a few of those over the 600+ miles of the weekend. Easily resolved with a well-executed lane change and a little extra pressure on the right pedal. Yes. they're idiots, but for the most park, they know not what they do.

Yeah, but is that legal to pass on the right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

I've sometimes wondered that myself. But, in the end, I always decide it MUST be legal to pass on the right. Otherwise, someone going real slow in the left or, heaven forbid, broken down in the left lane, means all traffic has to crawl or stop.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

@Michaell said:

Absolutely and positively !!! Why would one wonder IF it is legal to pass on the right? I can ask a series of questions, but so can you.

@hammerhead said:

Wiki says the hammer lane is another term for the passing lane. So you're well within your rights to make 'em move over. :)

edited July 2014

@stever said:
    Wiki says the hammer lane is another term for the passing lane. So you're well within your rights to make 'em move over. :)

Indeed !! But have you ever seen a LLC'er ignore (or to be nice seemingly oblivious to) a state HP vehicle with the lights and siren and bull horn trying to pull over an LLC'er for failure to keep right EXCEPT to pass, aka, BEING an LLC'er? Keep in mind Leo's are the only ones who can enforce this.

In one vein, VERY entertaining !! The truth is more like almost 100% of the time the LEO (that I observed anyway) will either go around aka pass on the right and or function the lights and/or siren, to "force" or highlight the issue.

• hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    edited July 2014

It's legal in Washington, at least:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

As an Issaquah resident I have to agree with you.

More red light runners spotted. Two just today.

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I would say the most barbaric, inconsiderate, reckless, arrogant,, mindless and ultimately doomed drivers are some of the motorcycle drivers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Lane-splitting at 75 mph? Really?
    Passing on the right without signaling at 80 mph?
    Tailgating a semi?

I used to be amazed that the bicycle couriers in san Francisco and the crazy risks they would take. I never saw an accident with one but I would think they are common.

How about driving a car with a stick up a steep SF hill and then noticing cable car tracks?

Yep, ding ding ding, and those things DO NOT stop quickly. Stop your car, try like heck to back it up and into an alley or a parking spot.

Once, I cut through Oakland using a short cut to get to the airport. Got a flat tire on 29th and San Pablo. An Indy Pit Crew couldn't have changed it any faster than I did!

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138

Winners today - late model BC plated ML with a male phone yapper, late model Panamera with a male texter, woman in an Outback making an awkward right turn while holding a phone to her ear, and a guy in a Durango didn't look and had a close call with a bicycle.

I think the passing on the right = evil thing comes from areas where drivers understand lane discipline - not the USA, although it might be applied here.

edited July 2014

Winners tonight - guy in a Highlander playing on a tablet while "driving" - yes, not a phone, but a normal sized tablet. And as it is Bellevue, a brave bootstrapper in a Range Rover Sport with tinted windows, Law Enforcement Memorial plates, and a phone to his ear. Typical dearth of turn signalers made it another nice day here.

edited July 2014

Wound up crossing a bit of Ontario today - Sarnia to Niagara-on-the-Lake. No one particulary speeding, no LLCs, pretty pleasant driving even though I was mostly on the freeway. Even the little section of the infamous 401 we were on was fine.

I did see one guy riding the line with his driver side wheel. I think he was texting - his passenger was deep into a phone call.

Once again....Costco nightmare parking lot.

"Park Waiters" who will tie up a line of traffic waiting for someone to unload their cart, strap in their kids, redo their make up and finally back out. They sit there with their stupid turn signal
    on plugging up a lane while, 50 feet away there are an abundance of empty parking spots.

And, of course, the people who are too damm lazy to return their parking cars to the proper place.

People who do that should have their memberships suspended for a year.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@isellhondas said:
    "Park Waiters" who will tie up a line of traffic waiting for someone to unload their cart, strap in their kids, redo their make up and finally back out.

That's why God invented horns.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I once tooted my horn gently at a woman Park Waiter and she flipped me off!

edited July 2014

@isellhondas said:
    I once tooted my horn gently at a woman Park Waiter and she flipped me off!

That's when it is time to lay aside subtlety. ;)

Remember - these people are inconsiderate by nature; otherwise, they would not be holding up a line of traffic for a parking space! What you have to do is increase the shame factor sufficiently to waiver their resolve.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

A gentle toot is to wake someone up at a light. Most other horn applications need much more time.

I went to work early this morning, streetlights still on, not much light in the sky, but some cars without any illumination. Wait, I can see, that's what counts, right?

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425

While the Costco parker is waiting - drive around from the other side and wait for the same space. You've a 50/50 chance the vehicle leaving will back out & temporarily block the waiting parker while you swoop in.

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209

hmm, $871 billion cost on US economy? half of it's gotta be due to the texters who happen to be driving at the same time they are texting. am I going to be forced now to calculate the GNP cost per-text-sent from behind the wheel? (?an exercise left for the reader?)

in other news, people who illegally import and drive Land Rovers in USA are inconsiderate and annoying. (illegally imported porsche 959s are less annoying somehow.)

i really detest those old land rovers. they are fine for Marlin Perkins or anyone on safari, but not on the USA highways. thank you EPA and homeland security for making the illegally/altered-VIN land rovers go away forever ! No Cash for Clunker Land-Rovers! CRUSH THEM!

I'd like to see historical data over time - especially regarding "distraction". I wonder how it changed with the proliferation of cellphones ~10-15 years ago, or highly developed smartphones in the past 5 years. Any differences would be interesting. Curious to know if this is real material, or just some kind of propaganda piece funded by the oh so honest and ethical insurance companies.

And "speed", of course. Michigan State Police Lieutenant Denies 'Speed Kills' Myth

We should thank our lucky stars we have well compensated public sector types and our beloved Praetorian sector to protect us from old cars. The US having the most repressive private import laws of any first world nation is nothing more than justice or logic, and I commend the well-credentialed and credible authorities for keeping the menace off our roads.

@elias said:
    in other news, people who illegally import and drive Land Rovers in USA are inconsiderate and annoying. (illegally imported porsche 959s are less annoying somehow.)

i really detest those old land rovers. they are fine for Marlin Perkins or anyone on safari, but not on the USA highways. thank you EPA and homeland security for making the illegally/altered-VIN land rovers go away forever ! No Cash for Clunker Land-Rovers! CRUSH THEM!

edited August 2014

The accident and fatalities data of NHTSA has to have the potential of being > @fintail said:

I'd like to see historical data over time - especially regarding "distraction". I wonder how it changed with the proliferation of cellphones ~10-15 years ago, or highly developed smartphones in the past 5 years. Any differences would be interesting. Curious to know if this is real material, or just some kind of propaganda piece funded by the oh so honest and ethical insurance companies.

And "speed", of course. Michigan State Police Lieutenant Denies 'Speed Kills' Myth

Actually the NHSTA web site IS the place !! http://www.nhtsa.gov

To help with decision tree searching, here is a FARS link.
    http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

Here is an IIHS link. http://www.iihs.org/iihs

As most folks know, who have spent any time looking, the site is not "GOGGLE" friendly. That is fine IF one knows the EXACT thing to look for. But then if one does one is either a professional or probably needs it for publications, record keeping etc..

So anyone can peruse.

DUI as I remember is down, to app 33%. It did approach 50%. Distracted driving, as I remember is app 25 to 29%. FULLY 75% of distracted driving (accidents, fatalities) is due to eating and drinking, wacking the kids and other passengers, etc.etc. in passenger vehicles. So to establish boundaries (phone issue) somewhere IN the 25%.of the distracted category. So as one can see, it is a fraction within a fraction. Do not take this as a diminishment of the issue.

Speeding per se is app 22%. So defacto "legal limits and UNDER" are the app overwhelming majority (78%) where accidents and fatalities happens.

That's a good way of looking at it.

I wonder if smoking is included as a distraction as well. Of course, I don't support any phone use while driving, but it is interesting that attention-intensive phone use has skyrocketed, while crashes haven't followed suit.

@ruking1 said:
    The accident and fatalities data of NHTSA has to have the potential of being > fintail said:
    Speeding per se is app 22%. So defacto "legal limits and UNDER" are the app overwhelming majority (78%) where accidents and fatalities happens.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

Smoking SHOULD be included as a distraction. As should drinking or eating anything that requires use of your hands. And conversing with people in the car. And listening to music/radio. And my all-time favorite: taking curlers out of your hair.

There's lots of things people do other than driving. But we tend to focus on the phones, which when used in hands-free mode aren't any more distracting than conversing with someone in your car.

People on the phone with you don't scream until they hear the crash. People in the car with you scream as you are veering toward the semi.

Sometimes people in the car with you scream even if you're not veering towards a semi. That's part of the problem. Someone someday will propose a law that all passengers must have their mouths duct-taped while the car is in motion. ;)

edited August 2014

Unless they are distracted too. I knew a woman who would not just turn her head and look at the passengers while talking and driving and gesturing, but would take her hands off the wheel to talk with her hands. Scary.

Out last night, got behind a confused RX with no lights on - it almost turned down a street that doesn't exist, then slowly went forward for blocks, then sped up a little, and then the road widened and I was able to safely get past. Also saw a Highlander crawling along at well below the limit, and an older guy in an ovoid Taurus going probably 60 in a 35.

@stever said:
    People on the phone with you don't scream until they hear the crash. People in the car with you scream as you are veering toward the semi.

edited August 2014

Pretty calm day on I-81 passing through southern Virginia. The trucks generally don't hit the road around here until well after lunch on Sundays.

It's also calm because I'm not riding with my sister, the "hand talker", although we are in a convoy to Chattanooga. We're keeping our distance.

Saw a driver today run right through a stop sign as if it wasn't even there. What's worse, the intersection is a busy crosswalk, and there were multiple pedestrians (including me) within a few feet.

The driver was driving a bike. I wish bicyclists would remember that when they're riding on public roads, they're subject to the same laws as every other driver.

edited August 2014

Headed down 405 from up north today, traffic was better than usual - it can be the worst road in the area. Got behind a middle aged woman in an SLK55 AMG. It's a bright sunny day here, she had the top down, and apparently couldn't stand the glare - she was driving with one hand on the wheel, the other near her head, acting as a visor. This caused her to have poor lanekeeping , and varying speed over and under the limit.. I tired of this, and passed - she then sped up as if to pass me, but camped beside me - still holding her hand up. About a minute later, I moved right to exit, and noticed she moved back into the lane we both occupied earlier. Would it be that hard to pull over and put the top up?

Lots of phone yappers and texters out today, as per usual. Drove behind a late model 911 that made 2 unsignaled lane changes, then turned into a real estate office parking lot with no signal, because of course. Saw 2 different Range Rover Sports turning without signal, because the French had the right idea about 225 years ago. And saw a Prius make a U-turn, but the road wasn't wide enough, and the bumper scraped the high curb at some speed, with a cringe-inducing scraping noise, because Prius.

Yesterday afternoon drove behind a crazy looking old woman in a barn-fresh Venture sporting numerous bumper stickers. She'd tap the brakes at random and was keeping such a distance from the car in front of her, numerous cars were passing on the right and moving around with ease. I love that.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

Just have to say it, the folks around the Miami International airport are just crazy. Guess with all the tourists from in and out of the United States and some of the roads not having the best signage, I cringe whenever we have to go there, like yesterdays numerous trips. Hell, driving anywhere in Dade and Broward county's is a nightmare all year round which gets worse during season. Almost every other vehicle has a cell phone yapper but yesterday I saw a lady with her tablet on her steering wheel and multi-tasking...was very disturbing to say the least. And yesterday around 6, it was bumper to bumper on the Palmetto Expressway, probably the worst road in South Florida, and we have to use it so many times. Glad I love my job!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Trying to get into crowded Safeway parking lot. Cars backed up into the busy access street. Waiting.....waiting....get OUT of car to look.

Big SUV double parked. Huge blob of flesh tumbles out of passenger door, waddles to electric cart, starts a shouting conversation through the car's open door. Fire/Rescue comes screaming down the street, has to stop while cars maneuver out of its way.

THEN the horns start honking. Mound of flesh looks surprised!

Way too many LLCs on I-75 around Gaylord MI today, and a Type A in a MINI who took exception to me moving left and passing someone before I got boxed in. Pulled the typical speed up when he saw me getting to traffic and then he got stuck behind the NY Prius that was pacing me for miles - we both were doing 77 on cruise.

Just drove over the Mighty Mackinac Bridge on a beautiful day so we'll get to relax with a 55 mph jaunt home.

Sometimes, you are what you drive :)

Man the non-signalers are out in force lately - and they aren't all BMWs and Range Rovers. But I guess if those behind the blue wall can use discretion in enforcement, motorists will use discretion in compliance. If nothing is going to happen, why comply?

Going really slow and then making a random sharp turn is in vogue now too, along with random last minute unsignaled lane changes, and going well under the yellow sign on ramps.

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    Trying to get into crowded Safeway parking lot. Cars backed up into the busy access street. Waiting.....waiting....get OUT of car to look.

Big SUV double parked. Huge blob of flesh tumbles out of passenger door, waddles to electric cart, starts a shouting conversation through the car's open door. Fire/Rescue comes screaming down the street, has to stop while cars maneuver out of its way.

THEN the horns start honking. Mound of flesh looks surprised!

edited August 2014

Almost lost the fintail today - approaching an off ramp from 405, a DOT truck parked on the side (not an active construction zone, no signs, and I wasn't going fast anyway as I was in the old car) randomly pulls out right in front of me. I stand on the brakes and lay on the horn, experiencing that fun squirrely feeling one gets from non-ABS brakes in a 50+ year old car. I had nowhere else to go, veering right or left would have rammed me into the ramp barrier. It slowed down fine, but the smell was terrible. Truck driver then speeds up like he's trying to avoid me, but had nowhere to go - I then pretended to take pics of him. Jerk.

Driving in the old car, mostly in the right lane, let me observe the idiots. The tall truck crowd was in fine form, weaving and not signaling and basically doing as I expect. Didn't see any real LLCs anyway.

Last night driving back late, got passed by a motorcycle going maybe 100 in a 60, weaving, but signaling every time! If he can do it, why can't layabout stepford wife in a Range Rover/X5 or financebro in his M car?

3 special people going straight in turn only lanes today - 2 of them in SUVs. Shocking!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968

A lady in a large older Mercedes trying to get on the turnpike going south and has her left blinker on in the left most lane. Must've been the wrong direction because she cuts across 3 lanes of traffic with the left blinker still on and enters on the extreme right entrance going north. Saw brake lights coming on and hard braking noise since I was behind all this nonsense and had to hit my brakes myself or I would've been in the guys backseat in front of me! Lady totally oblivious to the traffic around her, just went on her merry way and G-d must've been watching as no one hit anyone but it could've gone the other way in a nano second with much destruction! Why do folks just do this kinda stuff and why couldn't she just have gone a bit farther and doubled back the safer way? People just slay me sometimes!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Vehicle to Vehicle Technologies - Washington Post

Interesting stuff. I'm sure this will start out innocuous enough, but will likely turn into the "VDC" technology of today and begin taking control of the vehicle away from the driver. Once that is mandated, I'm done buying new cars.

Maybe graduated licenses that allow drivers with specific training or skill to turn their own wheel. I'd also like to see license endorsements for big trucks and SUVs, but I know that has a snowball's chance in hell.

I was out today and saw this (grainy pic - zoomed in on a phone camera) - nothing could go wrong here, right?

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@fintail‌

Those pallets really are on top of the MonteCarlo? Say it's not so.

I guess they are there because they wouldn't fit in the trunk? :'(

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

That's hilarious! Reminds me of something I would do! :p

It's so. Fun thing is that the car was probably exiting the lot onto a busy 35mph arterial road. I was going the other way, so I didn't get to see what happened. Must have been some special pallets.

@imidazol97 said:
    fintail‌

Those pallets really are on top of the MonteCarlo? Say it's not so.

I guess they are there because they wouldn't fit in the trunk? :'(

Towing the old Ford?

@xwesx said:
    That's hilarious! Reminds me of something I would do! :p

@fintail said:
    Must have been some special pallets.

Hey, when you have the urge to party, a pallet bonfire is a must! B)

edited August 2014

@fintail said:
    Towing the old Ford?

Yes, that was back in 2007 when my grandparents were "downsizing." I towed it from Chugiak, AK to Fairbanks, AK. Turned out to be a twelve-hour trip (it's normally about 6.5)! I replaced the engine and bed on the truck, and later the transmission and other items, and use it as a plow throughout the winter for my entire neighborhood.

I had more gas station conversations about trucks and the meaning of life during that trip than I ever do when I have the old Chevy out by itself!

Sounds like an unforgettable trip. An ancient truck towing an almost as-ancient truck, both loaded up, isn't something you see every day.

@xwesx said: