Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited August 2014

That's a great question, Graham! There are two problems with that: 1., they don't share; 2., they are a bear to haul around! ;)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299

Leaving for MadTown tomorrow. Stopping overnight near Cleveland. Escape is loaded up with plenty of room left over. No way the same stuff could fit in my Fusion. 40 inch tv slid right in through the back hatch. I think this will be the first trip we will be taking in it that doesn't have a box on the top and/or a bike hanging off the back.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

We might be in Madison tonight, but we're sitting in a breakfast joint near Townsend TN trying to plan our return trip north. I don't much care which way we go so long as we avoid Chicago and some of the other big city zoos - like Gatlinburg. The traffic on the Cades Cove Loop Road yesterday evening was bad enough.

But since we have a free place to hang in Port Huron we just make a ten hour day of it and cruise up that way and take a layover day with a nice couch.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

@stever said:

The traffic on the Cades Cove Loop Road yesterday evening was bad enough.

We're talking about a return trip to Pigeon Forge and doing Cade's Cove, but after Sept 1 when all the tourists leave. Beautiful in early morning. Haven't been there for decade.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited August 2014

My wife asked my brother in Chattanooga the other day when was the last time they went to the Smokies.

A. "We never go there".

It's pretty, but there's plenty of other mountain scenery in N. Georgia and NC and around Tellico to enjoy without the tourists. We did manage the 5 mile hike to Abrams Falls and back okay.

One of the worst parts of the loop drive was getting behind a Honda S2000 convertible that was smoking like the proverbial Mexican semi that @gagrice is always commenting about. We pulled out and let some people get in front of us for that stretch.

Decided to blast up to Port Huron and take a layover day (sorry, host with the most, no detour in Cincy for coffee this trip. :) )

That's some efficient on-the-fly decision making, Steve! Do you and your wife give lessons? B)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

@explorerx4 said:
    Leaving for MadTown tomorrow.

Okay, so considering that a 40" television is not a typical "must have" for a family vacation, I'm guessing that it is time to take someone to college? Is this returning to or going for the first time?

There's an app for that. B)

(btw, my brother logged 12,000 miles on his TN to FBX trip).

@stever said:
    There's an app for that. B)

(btw, my brother logged 12,000 miles on his TN to FBX trip).

Nice! That was a meandering drive considering that it is only about 8K between the two. I trust they enjoyed themselves?

As for the app... it's not so much about knowing the options as being willing to choose one on-the-fly rather than insisting on weeks in advance. I jest to some extent; my wife is an incredible planner, but my, oh my, does she drive me BSC sometimes as a result of that very trait. :p

edited August 2014

Oh, my MIL was like that. She'd get AAA to plan a route and would not deviate one iota. Drove my wife nuts - sometimes it's nice preplanning but we usually just like the serendipity of finding our way.

And yeah, my brother/sis-in-law had a great trip and loved Alaska. They wish they'd had a few more days in Fairbanks too. Only odd thing was that we convinced them to take their bikes and they only used them a couple of times. I thought sure they'd go all over Anchorage on the great bike path system there.

They meandered up via our house in the UP and came home via Going to the Sun in MT and good ol' Custer State Park where they denied feeding the burros.

edited August 2014

@stever said:
    They meandered up via our house in the UP and came home via Going to the Sun in MT and good ol' Custer State Park where they denied feeding the burros.

Probably for the best at Custer; when it comes to being fed, they can be real arses. ;)

More likely they just forgot the Oreos. :)

edited August 2014

Fun road trip; Niagara-on-the-Lake play, Mackinac Island, family visits, Smokies, nice meal on the waterfront with new friends in Port Huron. Had one minor check engine light that was fixed in Chattanooga with a TSB reflash. Just a couple of days on the Interstates to make time that were a bit boring; should be home around 6 or 7 tonight after stopping to visit an old friend in Marquette on the way.

We got this Grand Caravan at the end of May and have put 8,000 miles on it. Have one more trip to do in a few weeks and then we'll be ready to stay home for a few months. It's been a good monsoon season in New Mexico and it sounds like we are missing an emerald green desert bloom right now.

In a recent survey of 1,000 Americans by car shopping site Edmunds.com, 40 percent of drivers said that they definitely plan to take a road trip by Labor Day and another 34 percent are considering it.

In fact, the August survey found that 80 percent of drivers had road trips in mind when they shopped for their vehicle, with cargo space being the primary attractor (22 percent). The great American road trip is alive and well with many drivers planning to go the distance (500+ miles), snap selfies and pump their favorite tunes.

Hit The Road, Jack: 75 Percent of Americans Likely to Road Trip by Labor Day

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

@stever said:
    In a recent survey of 1,000 Americans by car shopping site Edmunds.com, 40 percent of drivers said that they definitely plan to take a road trip by Labor Day and another 34 percent are considering it.

We plan to wait until October. Though we were really surprised in June how empty the hotels were. I made advance reservations for our trip to Indiana. Was no need as none were full. Did not bother for return last part of June and had no problem getting rooms. It seemed busier last October on our same trip, though a little different route. Maybe most of the travelers are retired boomers. When we went shopping for the diesel SUV, travel was the top priority. We don't plan to fly anymore, at least as long as it is the way it is now. Two to three road trips per year will be our time away from home. Looking forward to more exploring in the NW with the kids moving there. I was getting tired of crossing TX. I think we took every route possible. :)

We had something unsettling happen while in Madison. After eating dinner at a restaurant, we saw a couple of people trying break into my daughter's Escape.
    It was parked with no other vehicles around it when we went into the restaurant. Leaving the restaurant, there were vehicles parked on both sides of it and from what I saw someone looking into the right front passenger window. There was also someone on the left side of the Escape.
    Later on, my wife told me see saw the guy on the left side pull the front door handle.
    Anyways, to keep it short, I let it be known I wanted them to leave, without turning it into a confrontation.
    I could have handled it better, but wasn't expecting anything like that, and we were pretty vulnerable by the time we got to the car.

Wow, what part of town was that in?

Wow; glad it worked out okay for you! I'm sure you handled it better than I would have. I have very little tolerance for thieves, so I likely would have handled it "poorly" indeed! :o

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,720
    edited August 2014

Headed to Charleston, SC next week.. 2000 miles under on our leased Infiniti that goes back in October, so that's what we are driving. Even though, not a lot of hauling capacity, it's free!

About 625 miles, each way...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

We had a thread about the Lowcountry here a couple of years ago.

Thanks! We are pretty familiar, from a dozen trips to Hilton Head over the years...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2014

Never made it there. Always curious as to why people opt for Charleston vs Savannah. I'm kind of partial to Savannah but the camping was better at Charleston.

We've done day trips to both (from HHI). I'd be good with either one... Of course, Charleston is 90 minutes closer to us, so that matters when you are driving it in one day..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

@explorerx4 said:
    We had something unsettling happen while in Madison. After eating dinner at a restaurant, we saw a couple of people trying break into my daughter's Escape.
    It was parked with no other vehicles around it when we went into the restaurant. Leaving the restaurant, there were vehicles parked on both sides of it and from what I saw someone looking into the right front passenger window. There was also someone on the left side of the Escape.
    Later on, my wife told me see saw the guy on the left side pull the front door handle.
    Anyways, to keep it short, I let it be known I wanted them to leave, without turning it into a confrontation.
    I could have handled it better, but wasn't expecting anything like that, and we were pretty vulnerable by the time we got to the car.

You might have hit the panic button the remote, that would have deterred them.

@stever said:
    Never made it there. Always curious as to why people opt for Charleston vs Savannah. I'm kind of partial to Savannah but the camping was better at Charleston.

I really enjoyed our visit to Savannah. Took a tour on a trolley bus around the city. We flew in there rented a car and spent a week with family that have a nice condo on Hilton Head. I was not impressed with the lack of access to the ocean. Seemed like it was all private. One gated community after the next. HHI seemed a bit treacherous with just one way out of there. Did look at a couple really nice homes on the water. That was 2000 and the prices seemed high for hurricane country. :)

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@gagrice said:
    I really enjoyed our visit to Savannah. Took a tour on a trolley bus around the city. We flew in there rented a car and spent a week with family that have a nice condo on Hilton Head. I was not impressed with the lack of access to the ocean. Seemed like it was all private. One gated community after the next. HHI seemed a bit treacherous with just one way out of there. Did look at a couple really nice homes on the water. That was 2000 and the prices seemed high for hurricane country. :)

My son was stationed at Hunter Army Air Field a few years back with the 1st. Batt./75th Regiment.

He really liked Savannah and the surrounding areas, but moved back to Oregon once his 4 years were up.

@slorenzen said:

I am really looking forward to our Oregon trip this October. I have several properties to look at in Roseburg and Cottage Grove area. You get more home for your money in Roseburg. And there is a Costco. I am not fond of Eugene as the traffic is too much like San Diego. Though Eugene is getting a Kaiser clinic which would make transferring our Medicare much easier. This will be the most time spent in Oregon since I was a kid in the 1950s. If we move we will have to get together for lunch.

We had out little parking lot adventure in Middleton near the Residence Inn. as far as using the panic button, I didn't have the keys in my possession.

Guess they were hitting the "malls". Middleton is a nice area otherwise; we have a weaving friend there closer to Lake Mendota, and that's the town we camp in along the lake when we go to Madison. You're making me paranoid - our next road trip involves the cat and we motel it when we have to haul him somewhere. I'd rather tent camp and be close to the van, which will have lots of our stuff in it for the move.

@stever, My guess is they thought the restaurant we were at was closed. There was only 1 other car in the front parking lot, a red Corvette convertible with the top down.

@stever said:
    Guess they were hitting the "malls". Middleton is a nice area otherwise; we have a weaving friend there closer to Lake Mendota, and that's the town we camp in along the lake when we go to Madison. You're making me paranoid - our next road trip involves the cat and we motel it when we have to haul him somewhere. I'd rather tent camp and be close to the van, which will have lots of our stuff in it for the move.

We prefer motels where you can park your vehicle in front of your ground floor room. Our best luck is with Best Western. Though some are not up to what we will stay in. I like Hampton Inn, not always close to the vehicle. Most newer cars have builtin alarms that go off if someone is breaking into your vehicle. Many mom and pop motels are clean and inexpensive. You have to inspect the room before you sign on the line.

I declined a room in a mom & pop last month; not because the room wasn't up to snuff but I didn't ask about wifi before paying. Their web site said they had internet but when I asked if there was a password, they said the wifi had been removed. So they credited my card and we went down the road. Priorities!

Parking in front is good in theory, but I'd probably sleep through the alarm howling and everyone ignores car alarms anyway.

I'll have the laptop in the room so there really won't be much worth stealing in the van anyway - but I'd be bummed if someone makes off with my unicycle. :p

@stever said:
    I declined a room in a mom & pop last month; not because the room wasn't up to snuff but I didn't ask about wifi before paying. Their web site said they had internet but when I asked if there was a password, they said the wifi had been removed. So they credited my card and we went down the road. Priorities!

Parking in front is good in theory, but I'd probably sleep through the alarm howling and everyone ignores car alarms anyway.

I'll have the laptop in the room so there really won't be much worth stealing in the van anyway - but I'd be bummed if someone makes off with my unicycle. :p

If you do have anything in your car of value it pays to have good coverage through your homeowners policy. Most auto insurance pays very little on theft. Or now that you are going to rent, get renter's insurance. I found out when my truck was stolen from a Costco parking lot back in the 1990s, that the contents were only covered up to $150.

That'd be fine except we're officially homeless next Friday. :D The new rental won't kick in until Sept. 1. Nothing in the van is really worth much anyway - not having access to the data on the computer until I can replace the hardware would be the biggest hassle

edited August 2014

Where's @xwesx‌?

"FAIRBANKS -- They may not be from the automaker's home country of Sweden, but the 56 two-member teams of drivers who pulled into Fairbanks Sunday say there are no limits to how far they'll go in vintage Volvos.

That's why they have spent the past five weeks driving about 10,000 miles from Panama to Alaska in various models of old Volvos, most built 40 or 50 years ago and bedecked with international decals and license plates."

Dozens of vintage Volvos roll into Fairbanks after long drive from Panama

@stever said:
    Where's xwesx‌?

"FAIRBANKS -- They may not be from the automaker's home country of Sweden, but the 56 two-member teams of drivers who pulled into Fairbanks Sunday say there are no limits to how far they'll go in vintage Volvos.

That's why they have spent the past five weeks driving about 10,000 miles from Panama to Alaska in various models of old Volvos, most built 40 or 50 years ago and bedecked with international decals and license plates."

Dozens of vintage Volvos roll into Fairbanks after long drive from Panama

It is good they have a lot of Volvos. They can salvage parts off of them as they go. maybe get half back to where they started. Never been a Volvo fan. Volvo drivers are NUTs. Our host being the exception to that rule.

edited August 2014

Our host being the exception to that rule.

If you mean me, there were a couple in the family in the 70s but they weren't mine. They kept stranding me and then in the 80s, I got stranded in bad weather in one that belonged to a friend. Not my favorite brand.

edited August 2014

What the deuce?! I didn't see or hear anything about this locally! So sad; even the article was from Anchorage. slowly shakes head in shame

We were storing an old Volvo, completely restored, in our quonset hut many years ago. It was a really pretty car (oh, how they lost their way for a long, long while!), maybe from the 1950s? Jet black with a red velour interior. I loved that car.

edited August 2014

On the road across N. Minnesota and over to South Dakota. Hit some damp at Bemidji State Park last night and the forecast tonight is for up to 3 inches. So we settled for an early night at a motel and wasted some time in the pool and hot tub. Did about 300 miles today and hit some nice back roads. And Potato Days in Barnsville MN, complete with a car show.

Hoping for some better weather tomorrow since I packed the tent fly away damp. Naturally there's blue sky and a bit of sun at the moment, but it's definitely coming. And the fact that the Simpson's marathon is on has nothing to do with moteling it. :p

edited August 2014

@stever said:
    On the road across N. Minnesota and over to South Dakota.

My kids just spent two days in Rapid City SD getting a new transmission in their GMC Yukon. Left Friday morning got to Bozeman and spent the night. Said it was cold and rainy for about 1.5 hours out of Bozeman this morning and nice to Spokane. Spending the night in Ritzville. Plan to get to Cottage Grove tomorrow their new home and job. Left Indiana Monday morning. The delay in Rapid city was good as they had day and a half to see the sites in the Black hills. The lowest priced transmission guy also gave them an old Buick to use while the Yukon was in his shop. Price varied from $1950 to $3500.

PS
    They are pulling a trailer loaded down with everything they own.

The rain here is two hours late. :) But the radar shows that it's almost here, complete with 40 mph winds. Could be a bit messy in the campground.

Bummer about the car trouble. That's a big pain.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited August 2014

@gagrice said: The lowest priced transmission guy also gave them an old Buick to use while the Yukon was in his shop. Price varied from $1950 to $3500.\

PS They are pulling a trailer loaded down with everything they own.

Yikes. Big price range. Sounds like a really good guy they found for repair since he loaned them a Buick. :)

How did they shop various places with their Yukon disabled? Rental? Or was it driveable but failing?
    That's been my big fear while traveling: being stuck somewhere with a failed car and being at the mercy of whomever the tow truck suggests taking it to for repair.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

@imidazol97 said:
    That's been my big fear while traveling: being stuck somewhere with a failed car and being at the mercy of whomever the tow truck suggests taking it to for repair.

My son noticed the transmission slipping on take-off back in MO. It seemed fine at speed. It did have 160k+ miles on the Trans. My DIL used Google as they were traveling toward the Black Hills and found the lowest price. I have to wonder if it was not something Midas did back in Indiana. They serviced the transmission just before the kids took off. Maybe the wrong fluid???? It worked out fine as they had a safe place for the Trailer while visiting the Black Hills and the BIG HEADS. Just an extra day to visit the sites. They loved the reptile house and train museum.

edited August 2014

Often I wonder if it's just better to ignore old transmissions instead of risking stirring something up.

Free day at the National Parks tomorrow to celebrate their birthday. Figures that we won't be near any parks until Tuesday.

@stever said:
    Often I wonder if it's just better to ignore old transmissions instead of risking stirring something up.

I am kind of the same thinking. I have never had an auto transmission go out on me. And I was never big on complete flushes and fluid replacement. I would check the levels. Then I only had one vehicle that I bought new that I kept over 100k miles.

Towing something with a failing transmission will induce euthanasia, every time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:
    Towing something with a failing transmission will induce euthanasia, every time.

Fortunately they made it to the shop and are back on the road. Only about two hours from their destination last email. This is the load they have.

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

@gagrice said:

Well, they picked a perfect day to pull into town. 81 degrees as I type(although a bit smoky from forest fires).

If I see 'em around, I'll beep and wave!

:D

@slorenzen said:

You will likely see them around Cottage Grove in the white Yukon with AK plates. They are going to be staying with friends that used to live in AK. They were part of the same band up there. So they may be doing some gigs in the area.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137

A night in Ritzville, there's something most people can't say they've done.

I'll be out that way and down in OR in a couple weeks too, going on my own road trip - out to eastern WA for a few days, then down to Crater Lake/Medford, then out to visit my mother on the coast. Looks like about a 1500 mile drive, should be a nice mellow trip in the Bluetec.