Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited August 2014

@dudleyr said:
    Interesting choice to use a number for the gas GLK at 5 mpg under EPA highway, and a number 2 mpg over EPA highway for the diesel. ;)

Pretty simple and boring really. I do not have any tankfuls with the GLK 350. So the figures were taken from fuelly.com (which I posted). I could have surmise what I would have posted. Would you have found that of more interest? The GLK 250 figure was close to my latest tankful. It also is (close to) the average for app 8,200 miles.

Another snapshot, 09 VW Jetta TDI post HPFP et al repairs posted 41 mpg commute. (503/12.2 gal) So no perceptible change due to these repairs or 3 normal drivers, me being the ABBY normal driver.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited August 2014

@xwesx said:

The truth is I have never been to Yellowstone. I would like to see it before the whole area blows up. From there to Boise is an easy day to visit friends. Then on over to Oregon. Only adds about 1200 pleasant miles driving the best vehicle I have ever owned.

@stever said:

(@gagrice, thinking of a Boise move? Check out Eagle and put Mai Thai on your list - voted the Best of Boise 9 years in a row).

I will keep that in mind. Probably go where our friends want to take us. Last time I was in Boise was 1998. Not sure what route to take to Cottage Grove Oregon from there.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

@gagrice said:
    The truth is I have never been to Yellowstone.

I don't think you said when you plan to go, but make it after Labor Day if possible. It's a beautiful place, but the last couple of times I was there it was one giant traffic jam interrupted by full parking lots. Not nearly so nice as it was in '69 when I first saw it, but then again, neither am I.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    edited August 2014

This has nothing to do with diesel, BUT the National Parks (Fed, DOI) offer the LIFETIME national park pass to those 62 and over for $10. It gives the whole car passage for most places.

http://www.doi.gov/tourists/get-a-pass.cfm

..."U.S. citizens 62 or older can purchase a $10 lifetime Senior Pass"...

I got mine at a nearby park (FED) . Google is your huckleberry for anyone's closest outlet.

They take personal checks. Ah, don't let em bounce or you may get a Lois Learner minion (sentenced to podunk) knocking on your door. ;) Do you think she will now have traction like: Hello I am Mike Wallace from 60 minutes, CBS and I am here to ask you a few questions.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Quit promoting that @ruking1 - I'm still a few months away from qualifying and with my luck, Congress will come back after recess and actually do something, like get rid of the program. :D

"Driven by government-mandated fuel standards and new technologies, officials expect an influx of diesel vehicles entering the U.S. market place in the coming years. Diesels currently represent roughly 3 percent of all U.S. sales. However, some companies expect that percentage to grow to 10 percent by 2020"

GM reconfirms plans to expand diesel offerings (mlive.com)

And over the Pond, "The recent and sudden demonisation of diesel took another, stranger turn today when The Sun newspaper branded successive goverments "diesel weasels" on its front page for “seducing” motorists into buying diesel cars with CO2-friendly taxation. It then called for a scrappage scheme to help owners of older diesels to upgrade so they “will not face fines in the future”.

This diesel backlash is completely overblown (telegraph.co.uk)

There's nothing like having a "two newspaper town" (remember competition?) to dig into stories and sell papers.

edited August 2014

Seems this "diesel thang" is starting to come to the fore. This web site thread and to another extent early adopters are in the vanguard.

Too funny "across the pond, " @ 8 to 10 per gal US, why would their politicians want people to use LESS fuel !!! :D;)

Shiftright hit upon the conundrum, they want to blather on about telling people to use less, when they THEN do it, then the cumulative actions borders on catastrophe !!!!!!

Doesn't it make you wonder what US politicians will do when fuel here is more like $6 per gal? Remember it is at app $4.

I will be pining for the "good ole days" when diesel fuel (LSD then) was $1.85. aka ,037 cents per mile DRIVEN. (10.5% per year increase)

Cheaper fuel would mean less revenue to fix the roads. It was hard to drive more than 40 miles at a stretch yesterday without hitting road construction, so that could be an especially good thing.

edited August 2014

@stever said:
    Cheaper fuel would mean less revenue to fix the roads. It was hard to drive more than 40 miles at a stretch yesterday without hitting road construction, so that could be an especially good thing.

Well, another myth BUSTED !! Plenty to the majority of these environ cons made the claims that less use means WAY less wear !! aka lasting FAR longer. Those same folks then made it lawful to use highway construction money's for almost anything else BUT mandated highway construction. Then of course, they use the CRAPPIEST materials that are known to wear QUICKLY !!! Now, how faster deteriorating cycle repairs of 3 to 5 years is better for the environment than say 10/15/20 years with quality materials have yet to be explained.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

It's really heavy trucks that beat up the highways I think.

Hey, just got my "lifetime pass" to the National Parks as well--$10 bucks and it's a rather attractive piece of plastic as well :)

edited August 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    It's really heavy trucks that beat up the highways I think.

Hey, just got my "lifetime pass" to the National Parks as well--$10 bucks and it's a rather attractive piece of plastic as well :)

Well yes. They already nail those guys @ EVERY major and/or minor weigh station/s. So it is pretty simple to collect the extra diesel taxation they hit diesel (PVF) fuel users with . (aka not heavy trucking)

I was kidding with the (armed) RANGER (getting the Senior pass) when he asked me if I was a citizen, I just said well, BADGES? I don't have no stinking badges... (Al Collins, TV morning talk show, lol YEARS ago)He must have took that for YES. He laughed and then said something like, your drivers license indicates you are 62.

While off topic, let us know about your FED travels.

One year (before the lifetime pass) we did both Death Valley (104 F in the shade IF you could find shade) and The Grand Canyon, AZ, (sort of the Route 66 fantasy in a Corvette) The day we left Las Vegas, it decided to dump app 4 in of rain during the trip to GC, AZ. (it doesn't RAIN in the desert??) Big fat dry traction tires are a bit dicey with a lot of puddles. When we hit AZ, we were a bit hesitant, as we had booked an airplane flight to tour The Grand Canyon and of course, lodging for a couple of days. The weather broke and left just wonderful cloud cover !! As glorious The Grand Canyon IS, it tops itself after a HUGE rain. The views were absolutely spectacular, albeit the plane ride was a tad ROUGH. Onward to Monument Valley !!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

I thought the "Road Trip!" thread was the one to visit when I pine for travel, but you guys are giving me the "road trip itch." I hope there's a cream or something for that.... B)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Alaska is the only state that I have not driven. How much is ULSD nowadays?

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

Right now, I think it is right on par with RUG if you can believe that (about $4.10)!

That's pretty impressive to have driven in nearly every state of the union. I there are still a pretty decent handful in which I have yet to drive, but I do cover a fair number of them on a (somewhat) regular basis.... Percentage-wise, I think I may have more Canadian provinces/territories covered than US states now.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2014

@xwesx said:
    Right now, I think it is right on par with RUG if you can believe that (about $4.10)!

That's pretty impressive to have driven in nearly every state of the union. I there are still a pretty decent handful in which I have yet to drive, but I do cover a fair number of them on a (somewhat) regular basis.... Percentage-wise, I think I may have more Canadian provinces/territories covered than US states now.

Actually it does make a certain amount of sense. Given the fact that it is the majority (95%+ ) of RUG/PUG users that have done the majority of the cutbacks, they have raised fuel prices (RUG/PUG) to compensate for the over all losses. Most folks also do not correlate that even with the chaos and brouhaha going on in the middle east, africa and the ukraine, the price of crude is actually DROPPING. I think the pot stirrers (@ all levels) are truly terrified of becoming irrelevant. Of course the current administrations policies foments "rebellion and violence"! (nature abhors a vacuum?) Oh Happy Days!! As the Chaos in Chief has said, it is a tranquil time in World and US history, ah all fermenting aside, Al Qaeda, ISIS, et al, on the run, etc. !!

On the domestic policy front, even the left wing (press et al) understands that increasing the price of diesel is a regressive tax that hurts almost all portions of its "base, sans the so called " 1% re's" and almost IMMEDIATELY.

I have always loved seeing as many parts of this country as possible !! CN is a real hoot also. !!

edited August 2014

I'm not sure I'd agree with the imaginary left wing press about that--- calling an increase in the price of diesel a regressive tax---since I think that, being a uniform tax by definition, it would have to substantially affect the middle class as well as the lower class in order to be regressive. A rise in diesel prices doesn't substantially affect the lower class because I doubt we'd find that demographic suits the diesel car market, and as for the middle class, there's really not much pain when the owner of a BMW 5 series diesel pays a few more cents per gallon.

it's more, to me, a "hidden tax" than a regressive one. Even SNEAKIER.

edited August 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    I'm not sure I'd agree with the imaginary left wing press about that--- calling an increase in the price of diesel a regressive tax---since I think that, being a uniform tax by definition, it would have to substantially affect the middle class as well as the lower class in order to be regressive. A rise in diesel prices doesn't substantially affect the lower class because I doubt we'd find that demographic suits the diesel car market, and as for the middle class, there's really not much pain when the owner of a BMW 5 series diesel pays a few more cents per gallon.

it's more, to me, a "hidden tax" than a regressive one. Even SNEAKIER.

Diesel is used in the TRANSPORTATION of raw materials, finished or value added goods AND services. It is also deeply interwoven in airline, rail and shipping travel . It was startling to see (cable TV special) that an aircraft FLIGHT, IF the airlines does EVERVYTHING right, makes $200 to $400 per flight. Another example is indy trucking is "marginally" profitable.

edited August 2014

Just saw this boat a half hour ago eating dinner with Port Huron friends. I'm sure it was an oil burner but I'd have to join that site and log in to be sure. Going to get a load of taconite I suppose from Superior Wisconsin; no idea if it's hauling something north. In any event we didn't get our whitefish blasted by diesel fumes inside the riverside restaurant. :)

Twin Pielstick 10PC2-2V-400 10-cylinder, four stroke cycle, single acting 4,500 b.h.p. diesel engines built by Crossley Premier Engines Ltd., Manchester, England.

Put that in your Touareg and smoke it. :D

@stever said:
    Put that in your Touareg and smoke it. :D

Probably the Touareg would die. What is the ppm for shipping bunker oil?

Take it to Nevada. You can do whatever you want there. :)

I may have to wander down the the big city to see this.

The Hormel Company has built a motorcycle that runs on organic biodiesel fuel made from converted bacon grease. The “Driven by Bacon” project is rolling - the tricked out, formerly diesel-powered bike is bound for Sturgis, South Dakota - site of the behemouth gathering of motorcycles, and now underway.

It may give a new meaning to the term “hog.”

A cross country excursion to the San Diego Bacon Fest follows in late August. A film crew is following, of course, chronicling the exploits of a bike that gets up to 70 miles a gallon, with savory fumes.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/7/pork-torque-bacon-fueled-motorcycle-takes-to-the-r/

edited August 2014

Started the SOS/DD trek (upgrade) pretty late last night (8:15p). We stopped for dinner along the way (1 hour). Pulled into the parking space 1224 A. This night were three/four rolling parking lot areas. Except for the mountains, it was not probable to do more than 85 mph. LEO's were out in force and saw 7/8 in one direction. All but one had customers. (forewarned is forearmed?) One SUV LEO shot by me on his way to somewhere. (no codes)

The GLK 250 B/T posted 36 mpg (3 over 33 H EPA). It should have posted more like 38 mpg, but the mountains were devoid of traffic, so it was "yippee" all the way to 7,388 ft. On the down grade to 6,250 ft, it is a twisty 2 lane blasted in granite skinny road. You'd be lucky to hit trees or multiple ton boulders. So ... mistakes are NOT an optional. The MB GLK 250 B/T seems to post pretty consistent results with conditions, traffic patterns, and the way it is driven. I had to use the brakes a tad more than I am used to or wanted to. So I was pretty surprised @ the mpg posting.

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014

@gagrice - Agree diesel smells much better than gas. That said I am looking forward to the 2015' Diesel Cruze that is coming out. Hope the price does not go up. Wished they offered a 6 speed manual as I would consider going that route. I think a total redesign is coming in 2016.

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014

Is @fintail still alive and kicking?

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

I think Rocky is the person who thought a Pontiac of some sort was a worthy competitor to a BMW 12 or 15 years ago on these boards.

GM fanbois are always entertaining.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097

Yes, I am alive and kicking.

I don't know about diesel smelling any better - the pumps at the Chevron I usually patronize have been greasier than usual lately. But, they actually have a little sink inbetween a couple pump stations - I just wash my hands.

@fintail said:
    Yes, I am alive and kicking.

I don't know about diesel smelling any better - the pumps at the Chevron I usually patronize have been greasier than usual lately. But, they actually have a little sink inbetween a couple pump stations - I just wash my hands.

I always grab a paper towel to keep any residue from getting on my hand. Diesel nozzles don't need all the fume protection that gas pumps are mandated to have here in CA. So they don't stay as clean.

Funny, I filled up twice today, once in the middle of Michigan and once in the UP near home, and both pumps had the accordion gizmos on them. Haven't seen one of those for years now.

Those accordion gizmos protect you from the VERY dangerous fumes that gasoline puts off. Unlike raw diesel that has a rather pleasant odor that is harmless. B)

An EV sounds better and better....

Yup, in an EV it will be drive 60 miles and spend 2 hours charging, drive 60 miles 2 hours charging. With a little luck you could cover 200 miles in a day. Provided you could find a charging station when you needed one.

Even if you spent the big bucks on a Tesla, you would not be able to charge in MI or TN.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

edited August 2014

drive 60 miles 2 hours charging

After a couple of 500 mile days the last three days, that actually sounds pretty good! B)

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694

Gotten spoiled here in Oregon. They don't let you pump your own gas(or diesel).

Keeps the hands cleaner! B)

edited August 2014

The problem with diesel fuel is that it doesn't evaporate like gasoline. So if some klutz makes a big spill at the pump, it's all over your shoes.

That supercharger map is interesting. It highlights two distinct things: big stretches of nothing, and poverty.

edited August 2014

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    The problem with diesel fuel is that it doesn't evaporate like gasoline. So if some klutz makes a big spill at the pump, it's all over your shoes.

That supercharger map is interesting. It highlights two distinct things: big stretches of nothing, and poverty.

Don't try to take Interstate 40 the best route across country. You get to charge at the western border of NM and nothing for 2000 miles. To get across country it looks like a normal route from San Diego to NYC is about 2700 miles by interstate. Following the Charging stations on that map the shortest route I can get is 3200 miles.

You can always do a slow charge; you aren't limited to the superchargers. And of course, every few months there another battery breakthrough that'll be commercially available in 5 years. B) . (PCWorld)

No mention of EV application. Just electronics and large storage batteries. I wonder if heat is still the problem? Tesla Panasonic not all about EV batteries either.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/tesla-panasonic-join-forces-on-huge-battery-plant-cm377157

Heat and ignition I'm thinking.

But there's plenty of those kinds of links. The trick is whether any will pan out - nothing has for the last 100 years.

(This is the same Stanford kind of story but it mentions EV benefits. Via extremetech.com).

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Actually they did mention an application for electric vehicles. Third paragraph from the end.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited August 2014

@ruking1 said:
    Started the SOS/DD trek (upgrade) pretty late last night (8:15p). We stopped for dinner along the way (1 hour). Pulled into the parking space 1224 A. This night were three/four rolling parking lot areas. Except for the mountains, it was not probable to do more than 85 mph. LEO's were out in force and saw 7/8 in one direction. All but one had customers. (forewarned is forearmed?) One SUV LEO shot by me on his way to somewhere. (no codes)

The GLK 250 B/T posted 36 mpg (3 over 33 H EPA). It should have posted more like 38 mpg, but the mountains were devoid of traffic, so it was "yippee" all the way to 7,388 ft. On the down grade to 6,250 ft, it is a twisty 2 lane blasted in granite skinny road. You'd be lucky to hit trees or multiple ton boulders. So ... mistakes are NOT an optional. The MB GLK 250 B/T seems to post pretty consistent results with conditions, traffic patterns, and the way it is driven. I had to use the brakes a tad more than I am used to or wanted to. So I was pretty surprised @ the mpg posting.

Started the return SOS/DD trek (downgrade) in the afternoon. (not the "best" time and/or times by any metric, but seemed to get a HUGE silver lining) Almost the whole trip was a rolling parking lot. BUT, this leg posted 40.9 mpg !!! ??? (computer screen only, so will post the subsequent full tank, IF folks are interested. IF not, this is 38.75 mpg R/T!! )?? The mountains saw a few accidents ( cars wanting to wander OFF the road), for a few stopped delays (the whole regalia of CHP's, fire trucks fire rescue, ambulances @ least twice, and whole fleets of LLC'ers !!! :'( The GLK 250 B/T posted something like 49.8 mpg, rolling down the mountains from 7,380 ft.!!!! The flats were semi kind and I was able to "lose some mpg". :p;) It is probably for the better. The skeptics would probably be ...SKEPTICAL ! ?

Other than that, SLOW ....diesel news day: ULSD $3.95,

RUG $3.83, PUG $4.07

It is very definitely summer VACAY season !! I hope one and all had a GREAT weekend.

edited August 2014

@ruking1 said:
    ..."Other than that, SLOW ....diesel news day: ULSD $3.95,RUG $3.83, PUG $4.07..."

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/industry-economics/~/media/Files/Statistics/State-Motor-Fuel-Excise-Tax-Update-July2014.pdf

So if API figures taxation figures are correct for CA, and you make diesel taxation the same as RUG/PUG (IF you MINUS - 6.76 cents more diesel TAX) RUG is cheaper than diesel by app 5.3 cents. RUG would cost app 19 cents more.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

An article about 9 mid sized crossover SUVs with the best mileage, fuel economy. The top 2 are the X3 Diesel & GLK 250 BT.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2014

@ruking1 said:
    So if API figures taxation figures are correct for CA, and you make diesel taxation the same as RUG/PUG (IF you MINUS - 6.76 cents more diesel TAX) RUG is cheaper than diesel by app 5.3 cents. RUG would cost app 19 cents more.

Correction : PUG would cost app 19 cents more.

edited August 2014

@nyccarguy said:
    An article about 9 mid sized crossover SUVs with the best mileage, fuel economy. The top 2 are the X3 Diesel & GLK 250 BT.

I did not test drive the 15 BMW X3 D before getting the 14 GLK 250 BT. On first look, it appears the X3 D has 3/1 mpg better 27 C/34 H EPA's and gave less HP (180)/torque (280 # ft) and an 8 speed to that effort. While I do NOT know this. I think I could probably post a little better mpg with the X3 D.

So I can talk of the 14 GLK 250 BT. Incidently the 15 MY inventory has already hit the local MB dealer.

But two of ITS (I am also guessing the X3 D @ what rpm ranges ) secrets are, max torque posts @ 1,600 to 1,800 rpm. and the 24 C/33 H EPA mpg. AND the mating to the 7 speed A/T. The upshot: once one knows the issues and the parameters, one can pretty much post whatever mpg. (aka, a very WIDE range, certainly a wider range than like model gasser)

In the context, most folks used to gassers would probably focus more on the max 200 HP @ 3,800 rpm . So even if one does not know what to do with max torque postings (369 # ft) or wants to focus on LOW HP and how "SLOW" it is, can do rather well in the MPG department.

edited August 2014

https://ca.autos.yahoo.com/photos/9-midsize-crossover-suvs-with-best-mileage-fuel-economy-slideshow/mercedes-benz-glk-photo-104300163.html

I posted the link again only because the OP seemed broken.

"9 midsize crossover SUVs with best mileage, fuel economy"

..."Whoever invented the crossover was a marketing genius. Few segments have grown as quickly over the last decade than these SUV-like cars that offer greater utility without the efficiency sacrifices of a larger vehicle. Gas mileage (sic in the diesels's cases) is improving all the time too, allowing the average compact crossover to use less fuel than regular compact cars were returning only a few years ago.

..."Which are most efficient? We've picked the ten best fuel-sippers in the compact crossover class. There are a few surprises here and the omission of a few--like the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V--that you may have expected to do better."...

edited August 2014

The assumptions, math and realities seem to escape CR testers about fuel stations for diesel passenger cars, which are STILL less than 2.5% of the passenger vehicle fleet. This is especially true for those who insistent on trying to fuel when there is/are only something like 6 oz of diesel fuel left in the tank. :p

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/why-still-not-easy-diesel-fuel-203000374.html

Now it would seem CR prohibits its testers from using smart phones, or more specifically: smartphone fuel applications. May I respectfully suggest applications like www.gasbuddy.com.

For me, when I started in 2003 (aka, no apps like gas buddy) diesel fuel stations were said to be 1 in 4. CR says it was more like 1 in 3. Be that as it may, @ that time I had ZERO issues in finding a diesel pump/fuel station.

Indeed I found a whole new data base of places catering to the transportation trades, aka diesels. The spin off was more home style restaurants, places to shower, while enroute, much BIGGER stations, relatively safe places to SLEEP in one's vehicle, etc.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

My version of gasbuddy does not mention the nozzle size - which is what CR was complaining about. Would it not be frustrating to use your app to find a diesel station and then not be able to fill because they have the wrong nozzle on the pump?

Is the solution really to fill up much sooner and negate one of the diesel advantages - longer range?

This discussion has been closed.