Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to maintain a vintage car (Toyota Celica)

rpb123rpb123 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Toyota

I am considering purchasing my first vintage car. A 1980's Toyota Celica. It's garage kept and in very nice shape. Can anyone tell me a little bit about some of the things that I should prepare for when owning a vintage car like this? Are parts available? If something goes wrong, do I always need specific parts or can I use commonly found ones?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Check out discussions tagged "Classic Cars".

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I agree. I would treat it as a modern car, which it is. It doesn't have any special or peculiar needs that your average repair shop wouldn't be familiar with. As for parts you should be able to find everything very easily except little trim pieces on the exterior or interior. Even things like bumpers or fenders would require some searching on eBay or craigslist--but they are out there.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707

Only real headache is the carb (assuming it has one). They're rats' nests of vacuum hoses, which leak and crack and get misconnected over the years. Get a good manual for it.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

That's true...Japanese carbs of that era are very tricky to rebuild---so keep that baby clean with good fuel and filter changes.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Those were great, rugged little cars! The 20R and 22R engines lasted a very long time. If it's a 1983 or newer it'll have fuel injection.

The carbureted engines weren't "bad" but it's takes a skilled person to overhaul those tricky carburetors. Parts are readily available are most shops will be happy to work on it.

Watch out for rust. Rust was a problem on some of those.