Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trunk Lid Hit Me in the Head - 2014 Kia Cadenza Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Kia
imageTrunk Lid Hit Me in the Head - 2014 Kia Cadenza Limited Long-Term Road Test

I'm a huge fan of our long-term 2014 Kia Cadenza. And then it hit me...

Read the full story here

Comments

• bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171

It happened to me with a 2001 Neon on just such a driveway. At least newer and more expensive cars like this Kia are more likely to not have a protruding striker, which has been known to fracture skulls when this happens. Another reason to bemoan the disappearance of gas struts as trunk supports, even on expensive cars, to cut basic costs and put more money into things the buyer can see and feel. But depending on the type of springs used--torsion springs in particular--there are often multiple detents to adjust the tension. But increasing support may mean harder to open/close. At the Limited's price you do begin to expect a power decklid.

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196

Several weeks ago I went to retrieve an umbrella from my mom's Corolla. The trunk lid hit me on the shoulder so hard that I still have a prominent black bruise there. It just missed my head by an inch or so. I have no doubt that had it would have split my skull had it not missed.

I am so used to Euro cars having refined trunk mechanism that I threw the trunk lid open expecting it to smoothly stop in the open position, perfectly balanced. Instead, it sprung back down with full force, just as I stuck my head in looking for that umbrella.