Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How All Navigation Systems Should Behave - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Porsche
imageHow All Navigation Systems Should Behave - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Porsche Macan has a crucial navigation system feature that all other manufacturers should adopt as soon as possible.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Personally, I'd much rather just have something that communicates via blue-tooth and used your Phone/Tablet's Google Maps app. Do you have to pay monthly fees for the navigation "service"?

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

Yup, my $120 on-sale TomTom does this, and I've had it for... maybe 6 years. Anyway, it's now serving my sister who just started college yesterday. I figure she'll probably need it more than I do.

• Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79

The Waze app does this, although you're constantly travelling in the "up" direction. It can be set so North is up, but I've never tried it. The car appears very close to the bottom of the map screen so you can see plenty of room ahead of where you are at that moment, with traffic and other obstructions clearly pointed out.

• Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135

I'm with Kirk. Hell I don't even care if it doesn't connect through bluetooth since running maps kills the iphone's battery you'll likely want it plugged in and charging.

• Options
    mecksermeckser Member Posts: 18

17" Nav screen ftw.

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

I didn't realize the most cars didn't allow the user to change the map orientation. In every car I've driven -- Acura, Lexus, Mercedes -- they've all had the option to change the map orientation to either "north up" or "direction up."

• Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798

Most Garmins have maximized "drive to" space for some time.

• Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2014

@kurtamaxxxguy said:
    Most Garmins have maximized "drive to" space for some time.

is there a way to do it keeping the overhead view (not the orientation "3D" view)?

• Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    edited August 2014

@joner800 said:
    is there a way to do it keeping the overhead view (not the orientation "3D" view)?

Sorry, I do not know, though it's pretty easy to adjust view coverage in 3D view. You might ask Garmin tech support - it's quite decent.

• Options
    zephzeph Member Posts: 8

first-person perspective all day everyday.

• Options

Sorry, I mean what others here call 3D view.

• Options

Although I typically use a combination of both. 3D view on the car's nav, googlemaps on phone with mapview and traffic.