Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Apps and Maps - Best Downloads for Drivers

2»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good point - I want to be able to connect the laptop or iPad into the OBDII (or connect to it via a wifi dongle on the port) and then do all the code reader stuff. And have the extra gauges and stuff.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    well, if you add the cost of the phone, it of course makes it expensive. But most people have an iphone or android phone anyway, so I don't think its fair to add that cost.

The app is $5.99 and the dongle is less than $25. So what kind of code reader can you get for $30? And how fast will it be outdated while the software has a good chance of regular updates?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

That was where we got confused I think - you just need the app, your phone or tablet, and the wifi dongle. Don't need a code reader.
    "Wearable technology is fast becoming the next big thing and we want to take advantage of this innovative technology to make our Nismo Brand more accessible. On track, Nissan uses the latest biometric training technologies to improve the performance of our Nissan Nismo Athletes and it is this technology we want to bring to our fans to enhance their driving experience and Nismo ownership."

Nissan enters wearable technology space with the unveil of the nismo watch concept
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    "Everybody in the van? Kids, check your dehydration levels. Sis, watch your EGK. Synchronize on my mark....NOW!"

Oh, lord, save us.
  • mingomaticmingomatic Member Posts: 2
    Hey everybody, if you have an Android phone and you want to research cars when you're on the go, check out our newly redesigned Android app!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.edmunds&hl=en
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Hey, mingomatic!

Will this work with an Android tablet? Or, is it just for a phone?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mingomaticmingomatic Member Posts: 2
    Hey there! For now, it's optimized for a phone. We have an iPad app and we're considering building a Android tablet optimized version next. Stay tuned!
    edited November 2013
    One for Gagrice:

image (GasBuddy)

One for Shifty:

image (Repair Pal)

One for Fintail:

image (Witness Driving )

One for Roadburner:

image (Dynolicious Classic )

One for me and other beater drivers:

image (Augmented Driving)

The 10 Best Car Apps for Smartphones
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I checked out Repair Pal and it's pretty good---even though it doesn't deliver goo news :(

WAZE drives me nuts--TMI !
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Cool, I might have to actually buy an app. Buying a phone mount is a lot better than buying a $200+ camera that probably has to be hard wired in.

GasBuddy is the only one of those I use, which is kind of odd as I usually buy gas at a couple specific stations.
    Looks like this could be handy, and some of the links work fine on your desktop.

SafetravelUSA.com
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    looks like it simply links to each states' DOT (or equivalent) website.

still, nice to have a single starting point for the whole country.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

"Technology that monitors a new car's engine performance and sends detailed trouble alerts to an owner's cellphone is now becoming available to owners of older model vehicles using inexpensive add-ons.

The idea is to give all car owners access to data generated by the diagnostic port that connects to various sensors built into most vehicles. Mechanics at garages have long used that information to help diagnose a car's problems.

The gadgets allow car owners to track metrics over time such as the car's speed, fuel economy and to decode the check-engine light."

Your Phone Has a Car Engine Update (WSJ - registration may be required)

"Volvo is on the way to making the car a mobile delivery hub for shoppers, with the debut of a pilot program that delivers groceries to your car.

The service allows consumers to have goods delivered to their car, no matter where it is parked. They choose their car as a delivery option when ordering stuff online via a smartphone or tablet.

The delivery person gets a one-time-use digital key that opens the truck and then locks it. The key is accessed via a secure app that's part of the Volvo On Call telematics system."

Volvo Testing Mobile Deliveries to Car

"The auto maker later this month will launch more than 30 new vehicles for the 2015 model year that are available with a built-in LTE 4G broadband connection, enabling a number of new communications, navigation and safety services.

GM intends to use the broadband connection in its cars to offer new services such as remote troubleshooting.

GM said it plans eventually to offer 4G broadband in the rest of its vehicles. GM is also developing a Chevy app store that would let car owners download applications to the center screen of a vehicle dashboard.

Separately, GM said it has a team of about 50 programmers developing exclusive apps. One of these, Vehicle Health, will provide more details when a problem crops up in the car.

"We want to try and demystify the check engine light," GM Chief Technology Officer Tim Nixon said."

GM Rolls Out Pricing Menu for 4G LTE Service (Wall St. Journal)

I had a rental Camaro a while back that had a heads up display. Very slick and convenient.

Haven't yet seen the Garmin one but there's another one coming out.

"It’s a device that can be mounted on any car’s dashboard and it provides a high-resolution heads-up display that helps you see the road behind it.

The device is powered by plugging it into the on-board computer, which cars manufactured since 1996 should have. Once it connects to your phone via Bluetooth, Its voice and gesture controls allow you to take calls, reply to texts and ask for directions without having to pick up your phone. You do need the iOS or Android app to help set up the device."

Navdy’s Heads-Up Display Wants To Be The Safer Alternative To Using Your Smartphone While Driving (TechCrunch)

Here's the (cheaper) Garmin version.

A Low-Cost Head-Up Option (NY Times)

edited January 2015
    If you used a smartphone for most of your recent car shopping/leasing experience and are willing to talk with a reporter about it, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10AM Eastern on January 30, 2015. Please include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    edited February 2015
    Verison has a Roadside Assistance app - $3 a month. A reddit poster says it's good for ten mile tows, battery charges, tire changes, etc. And it's good for up to 10 cars, including cars you ride in with others.