Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
image2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S Road Test | Edmunds.com

You could buy a luxury sedan and a sports car, or you could just buy a 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG S. It's equal parts performance car and daily driver.

Read the full story here

Comments

• marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96

I'll take the wagon variant, but to be honest, I'm very happy with our W211 E63 AMG wagon with 3rd row seats, RWD, and most importantly, that magnificent M156. I never get tired of how it sounds when you punch it. Best family vehicle ever.

• kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175

Amazing car! I believe in Europe, one can also get these in RWD as well. While I was in Europe, did see a CLS AMG Shooting Brake (CLS wagon). Unfortunately not available in the U.S.

• engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11

The performance envelope and features are very impressive, but the as tested price of $106,825 is....um....a bit steep.

• cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274

Were it not for MB's ongoing quality control issues, I'd absolutely LOVE an E63 AMG wagon. Rare as all get out, quick as can be, and plenty of room for my family.

PS - You guys at Edmunds usually do a great job but when you drop the ball, you really drop the ball. The V8 in the E63 AMG has been turbocharged for serveral years now, unless I'm mistaken. The N/A motor was only used in the C63 here in America.

@engineer_mba said:
    The performance envelope and features are very impressive, but the as tested price of $106,825 is....um....a bit steep.

Not when you look at what Audi, BMW and (as noted in the story above) Porsche are asking for the competition.

• engineer_mbaengineer_mba Member Posts: 11

OK then, the E63 AMG S is a smoking bargain. It must be great to be rich.

@Cjasis, The E63 that came after the E55 had a naturally aspirated V8. Twin Turbo V8 came later

• themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436

"A wolf in sheep's clothing is an overused cliché, but" we will use it anyway since we dont know how to write

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@themandarin said:
    "A wolf in sheep's clothing is an overused cliché...

As opposed to an underused cliché? ;)

• greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2014

I guess it's just me but this car is ugly. From the side it looks like an early 2000's Japanese car. The back is ho-hum and the front is overstyled. The mechanicals seem impressive but having owned a Crossfire SRT-6 AMG supercharged car I kinow that in performance terms it was 2 different cars depending on the temperature. It was a rocket at temperatures in the 30-50 F degree range but much less impressive in the 70-90 F degree range. I would be interested to find out if those performance numbers are estimated or actual and at what temperature the runs were made.

@kshankar said:
    Cjasis, The E63 that came after the E55 had a naturally aspirated V8. Twin Turbo V8 came later

Agreed. This article reads as if the 2014 E63 is the first to use the twin turbo motor. For example, the article reads "these EPA estimates are basically equal to those of the outgoing, less powerful 6.2-liter naturally aspirated V8.". My point is that the NA motor isn't outgoing from the E class. It's been gone for several model years.

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

When I got my Model S I was seriously debating getting one of these instead. I sometimes regret that I didn't. These things are just such incredible cars. I find the front end on these face-lifted AMGs a little overwrought for my taste, but it's hard to argue with the rest of the package.

@cjasis: "Were it not for MB's ongoing quality control issues"

While that is definitely true for some of the lineup, the W212 has been rock solid from the beginning.

@greg128: "I would be interested to find out if those performance numbers are estimated or actual and at what temperature the runs were made."

Click on the Road Test Specs link at the top of the page. These runs were made at 80F and 54% humidity.

@cjasis, You are right. I reread the article and it does sound as if the previous model had the normally aspirated V8.

• aar525i5aar525i5 Member Posts: 7

2012 was the year the turbo was available. hardly news anymore. and, I like the panamera gts over the rest of them. its very close in price and performance, and easily the best drivers car

• mcorlissmcorliss Member Posts: 1

@cjasis is wrong because the n/a E63 was available in the w212 body style which is essentially the same as the current E63, minus engine, 4-matic, and slightly revised interior. I have owned both versions. Technically, there has been 3 versions of w212. n/a in 2010 & 2011. tt rwd in 2012 & 2013, and the current awd tt engine in e63 & e63s models. I had a 2010 E63 (w212) and 2014 E63s (W212).