Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chrysler Sebring engine misfiring. I'm second guessing the dealership.

rey8rey8 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Chrysler

Hello everyone,
I am reaching out to anyone that might have any experience with misfiring engines. I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring Limited with 89K miles on it.

On a ride home, our engine suddenly started misfiring in a single cylinder. The engine light was blinking and beeping. Took it to the dealership and they took 6 days to fix it. They spent the first 5 days trying to figure out what it was. They swapped out cables, coils and plugs and it still misfired. They did 2 compression tests and it still misfired. They replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it still misfired. They got their engineering team to look at it and they even were going to call Chrysler Detroit to send an engineer to look at it. Lastly, they opened up the intake manifold to see the valves and cleaned it out with 2 cans of cleaner. It finally stops misfiring.

I am unsatisfied with the solution. Would the engine suddenly start misfiring because it needed cleaning? Even if it had a huge carbon buildup and a piece cracked off and got stuck in a valve, wouldn't it have shown in the compression test? I have had good experiences in the past with this dealership, but this time I am pretty suspect of all this. It just seems like a lot of work for such a simple little fix.

What do you guys think? Feel free to message if you have any questions. I respond quick.

Comments

• donnaluvdonnaluv Member Posts: 7

Try replacing your crank shaft sensor especially if there are no codes. FYI dealership is a rip off for repairs, $3400 later, I know! Also have another mechanic not the dealership for heavens sake, check to make sure you have the correct spark plugs, they have to be Champion plus premium only! Mine were wrong, and I had a gasket leak, which leaked into crank shaft sensor, causing the sputtering and stalling. Good luck

You have to use OEM sensors on this car, no after market, you can get it cheapest at Amazon.com/

second thought just get it directly from the dealer.

• coreyspare1221coreyspare1221 Member Posts: 1

I had the same problem with my 07 sebring, it was the ignition coil that sits on top of the spark plugs, it had some kind of carbon buildup on the side of the tube, and it was sparking on the side of the tube, and causing the engine to throw a undervoltage code because the draw on the altenator was too much, and it wasnt powering the sparkplug