Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where's the Engine Braking? - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Jeep
imageWhere's the Engine Braking? - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Jeep Cherokee has a nine-speed automatic transmission. That's right, nine speeds. Unfortunately, this transmission doesn't provide much engine braking.

Read the full story here

Comments

• cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110

Weird. This seems pretty counterintuitive given the likelihood for taking this thing off the beaten path, or up/down a mountain road. There must be more to this story.

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

It's a nine speed, the gear ratios are so close there is not much difference between gears. As for off road driving it has hill descent control.

• mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35

Wonder how the torque converter lockup is programmed by Chrysler on the ZF gearbox.....

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited August 2014

Too bad there are no paddle shifters. That would encourage manual shifting.

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

@rsholland - Your post says "edited August 21". How do you edit? I don't see an obvious "edit" button...

And how on earth did you get 19,663 posts when this website redesign was rolled out about a month ago?

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2014

@greenpony said:
    rsholland - Your post says "edited August 21". How do you edit? I don't see an obvious "edit" button...

When logged in, you should see a little gear icon in the upper-right of your post when you hover the cursor over it. Click that, and you can edit the post (within 4 hours of creating it).

• MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2014

@greenpony said:
    And how on earth did you get 19,663 posts when this website redesign was rolled out about a month ago?

This new article commenting platform is an extension of our Forums platform, and it's counting posts in both places. Some of our long-term Forums members (like @rsholland) have racked up quite few posts over the years!

In a few weeks, we will be migrating all older article comments to the new platform, as well. When that project is completed, your post count should then reflect your entire history of Edmunds.com commenting.

edited August 2014

Thanks Mark. I don't see a gear icon (turned off my pop-up and ad blockers) but it could be that I'm a Firefox user. EDIT: It appears to be hidden, but now that I know where to click, it's useful.

And I'm a little scared of reflecting my entire Edmunds.com commenting history. The number might be too large to display.