Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Too good to be true lease deal. 2014 Hyundai Sonata.

zacwarezacware Member Posts: 17
edited August 2014 in Hyundai

I traded my sonata for a veloster turbo last year, but now we are looking for a 3rd car for our son to make a very short commute down the road to college next month. I just noticed a "dealer" ad for a $149 lease on a 2014 Sonata with $999 down for 36 months and 8,000 miles a year. (I don't ever put money down on a lease, so it would actually be about 180/month with 0 down). Normally I would never consider that low of a mileage allowance, but as a 3rd car, we would easily be under that mileage number, since the college is only a few miles away.

But I can't crunch the numbers to make that lease deal seem valid. Does anyone know of what "surprises" they might be waiting to tell me about with a lease like this after they have me at the dealership location.... something seems too good to be true, or does an ultra low mileage lease really bring down payments this far?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

The lowest mileage allowance that Hyundai Finance offers is 12K/yr. I would be worried about leasing through whatever independent bank that they must be using.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

yeah, they may be using their own "mouse house", and also hoping to trip you up on the mileage over-run.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Something just smells bad here. Korean cars don't have strong resale value so they can't have a high residual at the end. I would look for bogus fees or add ons.

I would guess that the penalty for excessive miles would be higher than normal. Normal being around 15 cents per mile.

• zacwarezacware Member Posts: 17

Thanks everyone for the advice. I asked them for info about how the lease payment is arrived at and didn't get any useful response. So, as you would expect, it's just a dealer trick of some sort. As someone mentioned above, I guess if they don't get you with a mileage overage at the end of the lease, they rack up vehicle condition penalties for simple wear and tear items or something else.....