Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Upgrade From a Hot Hatch - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageUpgrade From a Hot Hatch - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

This is the text a search engine will offer the reader as description of your page in the search results. Be sure to include the Year Make Model and aim for around 150 characters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471

If it matters, his GTI (and the 2015) will be a hell of a lot more comfortable as a daily driver on LA's pockmarked streets. I wonder how cheaply you could get into a base 2015 C-class? Meaning, if a bog-standard 2015 C will cost the same as a well-equipped CLA, then I would rather have the C.

• sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177

A CLA250 is actually a downgrade from a Mk7 GTI. An Audi A3 is sort of like a sedan version of the GTI. The A3 beats the BMW 228i which beats the CLA250 in tests.

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    edited August 2014

@sharpend,

From a dynamic perspective I think you are probably right. In other regards I'm not so sure. The CLA looks a lot more dramatic (whether it looks better is up for debate, but it certainly turns heads in a way a GTI never will), it offers higher-end technology if you can pay for it, and the interior is a lot better. I like the new Mk VII Golf a lot and have driven them in Europe, but it is definitely a budget-priced car. The A/CLA should be better than they are, but they still feel a cut above.

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

I think that's a false choice. If your friend is thinking sedan the question should be: is the CLA a step up from the Jetta GLI or the real VW competitor, the CC? I think the answer is no.

• bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

@misterfusion said:
    If it matters, his GTI (and the 2015) will be a hell of a lot more comfortable as a daily driver on LA's pockmarked streets. I wonder how cheaply you could get into a base 2015 C-class? Meaning, if a bog-standard 2015 C will cost the same as a well-equipped CLA, then I would rather have the C.

base price is 38k

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

" I like the new Mk VII Golf a lot and have driven them in Europe, but it is definitely a budget-priced car." A Golf is not a GTI. From what I've seen, the interior of the CLA and the GTI (new one) are about equal. The GTI has more usable passenger room (especially in back), that's for sure.

That said, these cars will never be cross-shopped too much - there are sedan people and there are hatchback people, and both are utterly convinced of the superiority of the favored configuration.

• linard76linard76 Member Posts: 10

The A3 beats the CLA in comfort but the CLA beats the A3 for driving sharpness which seems to have tilted far too much towards the sporty end of the continuum.

The A3 is more comfortable while the CLA will have more driving feel which seems to have come at the expense of ride quality.

@fordson1,

That is very true, but their interiors are basically identical aside form the vastly cooler steering wheel in the GTI (I have spent time in both). The Mk VII is absolutely fantastic for the price. Easily the best interior in a car less than $30k. I mean, not even close. However, even as crappy as the plastics are on the base of the console in an A/CLA, they are no worse than what Veedub uses in those same areas and the Benz wins points for richer materials elsewhere. Compared to an A3 the CLA isn't very impressive, but compared to a GTI it is clearly a step up. Having said that, I'd still probably rather have the GTI. However, I can understand why someone not focused on performance would prefer the more luxurious vibe of the CLA.

• ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2014

I sat in a CLA at the auto show and honestly don't see the value proposition beyond bragging rights. My VW MKVI R interior is more spartan but IMO of higher, more consistent quality. I could care less if I have soft touch plastics when the other parts of the interior are shoddy (CLA IMO). I like the R because even the "cost-cut" areas don't feel cost cut and are consistent.
    Add to this the CLA's incredibly cramped interior, while the VW is quite spacious for my 6'2" frame and I really don't see the benefit of the CLA. IMO I also feel the same way about the A3, although I will say that the A3, like all VAG products does a remarkable job with design and materials to offset any cost-cutting measures that maybe used.

@ocramidajzj,

I'm really interested to know why you think the plastics used in a Mk VI are any better than what is in the CLA. In fact, Daimler and VW use the SAME supplier for the plastics on their consoles and lower portion of their doors. It is literally the exact same material in both vehicles. If you think the CLA uses "shoddy" materials in those areas by default you are saying Veedub also does. The difference between the two lies above the console line where the CLA uses materials sourced from much more expensive suppliers. I can understand your argument about inconsistency in the CLA and I agree a luxury car should be better, but none of the materials it uses are shoddy. Totally agree on the A3, though. In typical Audi fashion that cabin is impeccably done.

I've been spending quite a bit of time in the A3 and honestly, the interior isn't as lovely as the reviewers say it is. The lower dash and center console have inconsistent plastics and the texture on the console doesn't match anything else in the interior. The dash is also quite imposing. The Golf and GTI are actually more consistent.

• mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    I thought the CLA IS based off the bargain model sold in Europe...