Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jolting Hyundai. Can someone please HELP ME!

nikkibam1989nikkibam1989 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Hyundai

So I have been having an issue with my car and it is confusing me. When I drive it and it heads into 2nd gear it jolts and then continues and it is fine. When I take me foot off of the gas the car tries to brake itself it feels like. And just today I went to go step on the gas and the car was not moving then all of a sudden it jolted and the car went. Also sometimes when I turn the car on the rpms jump up then come down without me doing anything. Please help. I got the code read and there are no lights on and no codes that pop up. I need to figure this out very soon.

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789

@nikkibam1989 said:
    So I have been having an issue with my car and it is confusing me. When I drive it and it heads into 2nd gear it jolts and then continues and it is fine. When I take me foot off of the gas the car tries to brake itself it feels like. And just today I went to go step on the gas and the car was not moving then all of a sudden it jolted and the car went. Also sometimes when I turn the car on the rpms jump up then come down without me doing anything. Please help. I got the code read and there are no lights on and no codes that pop up. I need to figure this out very soon.

Which Hyundai model, year and engine?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nikkibam1989nikkibam1989 Member Posts: 4

Its a 2003 hyundai elantra gls. It has a 2.0 engine

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

What kind of scan too was used, and by whom?

Has anyone checked the transmission fluid level?

How many miles on this car?

I took it to advanced auto to have it scanned. And The tranny fluid is full and looking good. There is 148000 on the car.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Well their scan tool may not be the best to scan 'deep' for transmission coding. You have to go to a pro for something like this. Also, the transmission could just be at the end of its life at 148K. There are external tests that a transmission shop can perform. It sounds like you aren't even going into high gear.

i do go into high gear. it just slips around the second gear. the car drives wonderfully. I dont even think it is the tranny. I think i might go with the fuel filter or pump route. I have had people tell me a bad or clogged fuel filter and cause the car to not accelerate when it is supossed to and make it erratic sometimes. I have to look into everything before I spend the money on a tranny