Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here (retired discussion, please see the new one)

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

We got to that area of "Lower" Michigan one time and I think we cut over to Cadillac from there. Don't remember it though. I'm sure your friend says it's "northern" Michigan but us ex-Yoopers consider anything below the bridge to be "south".

Regular is the same here in Watertown SD. Diesel is running forty cents higher.

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

There must be a terrible glut of RUG right now. I see on Gas Buddy ARCO selling for $3.49 here in San Diego. Cheapest diesel is $3.79. That is down 20 cents from last month this time. From my experience in June crossing America by car, not many people traveling this summer. The hotels were not full anywhere we went. Everyone said it was very slow. I think the real hard depression is yet to come.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084

@gagrice said:
    There must be a terrible glut of RUG right now. I see on Gas Buddy ARCO selling for $3.49 here in San Diego. Cheapest diesel is $3.79. That is down 20 cents from last month this time. From my experience in June crossing America by car, not many people traveling this summer. The hotels were not full anywhere we went. Everyone said it was very slow. I think the real hard depression is yet to come.

Wow - first time in a long time that prices in CA are lower than here in CO. Even the 'no name' stations here in town are offering RUG for $3.53/gal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

It's our fault @michaell, we'll be in CO in a few days (probably heading up to Estes Park btw).

Should have camped last night - probably two inches of rain fell but just between midnight and two am. Sunny this morning. The motels here in Watertown look pretty busy. This place is nice enough but it just feels stuffy not being outside in the tent.

@Michaell said:

Just checked that ARCO dropped to $3.47, several stations under $3.55.

Tenting in the rain is not my idea of "Livin' la Vida Loca". Last time I was in a tent was early 1990s. We were camped on the Homer spit with several other idiots. The wind was gale force with super cold rain. Blew our tent flat and the four of us huddled in the truck cab all night. NEVER AGAIN was my thinking and I have kept my word. Never let up the next day so no fishing. Not my favorite trip to Homer.

I think I mentioned before about the time we tied the tent to the car on the Homer Spit. Who remembers a Holiday Inn you stayed at in 1985? B)

We just drove across SD 212, a scenic drive that we did once before in the last year. Lots of corn, sunflowers and what I think were soybeans. With all that corn, we're seeing (but not buying) a lot of ethanol, and have seen diesel around $3.74.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704

I think the real hard depression is yet to come.

gagrice, I think so, man. I think the worst is yet to come. Are the mortgage lenders still being forced ta behave and not hand out house loans like Jolly Rancher candies? I'll bet they're chomping at the bit ta give loans to people who are craving houses that they'll default on the first time they shoot past their credit card limit.

The Corner store still has my Chevron beat - they're selling RUG for $3.35 a gallon.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited August 2014

Lots of headwinds today zapping my mileage. It's only been around 21ish anyway, what with our load. Fell off to 18.5 and we pulled into Pierre SD and managed to get 19.4 gallons into a 20 gallon tank. Even so, the low fuel indicator only came on about 2 miles out of town.

Went to a Don's Sinclair and paid $3.24 for regular and even had full service at that price. That was a nice surprise. Every window got cleaned and got directions to Big Toms for some brisket and pulled pork sandwiches.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    edited August 2014

I wonder now that prosperity is so localized and stratified, if economic hiccups will become more regional, too. No signs of a slowdown in my neighborhood, plenty of tourists, plenty of local development, it's like a little boom.

RUG has fallen below diesel here, but diesel is still cheaper than PUG. Don't remember the exact price, as I put fuel in the car 2-3 weeks ago and I am still just below half a tank.

@iluvmysephia1 said:
    I think the real hard depression is yet to come.

gagrice, I think so, man. I think the worst is yet to come. Are the mortgage lenders still being forced ta behave and not hand out house loans like Jolly Rancher candies?

@fintail said:
    I wonder now that prosperity is so localized and stratified, if economic hiccups will become more regional, too. No signs of a slowdown in my neighborhood, plenty of tourists, plenty of local development, it's like a little boom.

I think the areas like Seattle, Portland San Francisco are immune because of the Tech R&D. I would think the Eastern part of the state of WA is not so flush. As an example Ritzville, WA has very few homes for sale over $100k. There median income is $20k per year below the state average. We are seeing a small housing boom. I think it is manipulated by the Feds. They are bundling their 1000s of foreclosures to take them off the market. That has raised rents here to where many people cannot afford to live. People renting bedrooms for $700 per month.

Maybe not immune, but the urban west coast is probably one of the better places to be in the world right know. Eastern WA is not as bustling, but has a much lower cost of living. Lots of westerners retire there. There are random odd new ventures there, like the BMW carbon fiber facility in Moses Lake (not too far from Ritzville).

I don't know of scores of local houses sitting vacant because of foreclosure, but maybe that is regional, too. It's a healthy market here, too - some younger people have been brainwashed into needing a house (with doting parents to help them), there's only so much land, and in some segments of the market, sketchy offshore money is helping too - an elephant in the room nobody dares touch.

At least it's not hiking fuel prices :)

@gagrice said:
    I think the areas like Seattle, Portland San Francisco are immune because of the Tech R&D. I would think the Eastern part of the state of WA is not so flush. As an example Ritzville, WA has very few homes for sale over $100k. There median income is $20k per year below the state average. We are seeing a small housing boom. I think it is manipulated by the Feds. They are bundling their 1000s of foreclosures to take them off the market. That has raised rents here to where many people cannot afford to live. People renting bedrooms for $700 per month.

Got gas at a Flying J between the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands (near the Badlands) and Custer State Park south of Rapid SD (yeah, I know it's Rapid City but we talked to several locals today and they all called it Rapid).

Anyhoo, we cut through on some gravel and county roads but wound up near the Interstate and plenty of truckers were there, so I don't think they were charging resort prices.

Plus gas $3.53 (what I got)
    Regular $3.73 (no ethanol)
    Diesel $3.93.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I think gas is high on the west coast due to a lack of pipeline and refinery capacity. I think the east coast is high (except NJ) usually because of high taxes, just like Chicago.

edited August 2014

Filled up with Regular in Rio Rancho NM, a "town" of 90,000 competing with Albuquerque for size (Rio Rancho is now the 3rd largest city in NM).

Paid $3.10 a gallon. Diesel was $3.49.

Lots of gas in smaller places is running $3.39. Cheap!

The Phillips 66 on 10th St. in Alamogordo is selling RUG for $3.34 a gallon now. My fave Chevron on Hwy 82 is currently selling RUG for $3.37 a gal.

Welcome to beautiful New Mexico stever!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253

In central CT... my wife filled up for 2.729 for RUG. Of course, this reflected the 90 cents per gallon credit from her grocery store rewards. At least she filled up something I at least occasionally drive. :)

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Down to $3.45 here in Happy Valley. We were over in Huntingdon, PA on Sunday and saw $3.39

$3.19 here at a few of the "cheap" stations. Name brands are going for $3.25.

Cheapest diesel I've noticed is $3.75.

Filled yesterday with 86 octane regular for $3.14 a gallon.

Wish I could find pecans that cheap - they are going for $8 to $10 a pound for halves. NM swaps back and forth with Texas for production bragging rights. Trees are all over this town, but that doesn't help the price..

Still hanging at $3.45 here in central PA

@stever said:
    Filled yesterday with 86 octane regular for $3.14 a gallon.

Wish I could find pecans that cheap - they are going for $8 to $10 a pound for halves. NM swaps back and forth with Texas for production bragging rights. Trees are all over this town, but that doesn't help the price..

Just shake a tree and see what falls out. Think of all the Pinion in NM and Pine Nuts are about $20 lb. Just go out with a big tarp, spread around the base of the tree and you get to keep what ever falls out. You are also less than an hour from Hatch the Chili Capital of the World. Love those Hatch chilis in every heat range. And with $3.14 gas you can drive all you want. ;)

edited September 2014

We did 40 pounds of Hatch last year and left them with our friends up north. But around here, you'd get tossed in the slammer if you go shaking trees.

Good idea about the pinions though - we did that in Death Valley twenty years ago.

The van is getting around 16mpg in town. Good thing gas is cheap. Wish we were moved and had the last load out of my brother's basement - I'd go car shopping. Even at $3.14 a gallon, I hate not getting at least close to 20 in town. A Soul or Prius with a little hitch may actually work, at least for local stuff (my brother has an Odyssey - maybe I can bribe him to bring the rest of our crap out!).

In eastern/central/southern OR, I have seen diesel anywhere from 3.93-4.23 or so. RUG seems to be about 20-30 cents less, on average, sometimes a smaller gap.

The Shell station I filled at today has diesel for 6 cents more than RUG. And cheaper than midgrade or premium. RUG $3.83 Diesel $3.89 with CC.

http://www.sandiegogasprices.com/Shell_Gas_Stations/El_Cajon/5141/index.aspx

Regular at two stations is now $3.09. Highest I've noticed is around $3.33. Diesel is running around $3.62 at most places.
    stever said:

Regular at two stations is now $3.09. Highest I've noticed is around $3.33. Diesel is running around $3.62 at most places.

We're finally starting to see a drop in prices. Local Kroger has RUG at $3.529 today - down 4 cents from a week or two ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Out on the coast today, saw an ARCO that I think was 3.79-3.89-3.99, and diesel at 3.99. No Chevrons in this town to compare.
    edited September 2014
    $2.99 for regular. $3.59 for diesel. Bit of an aberration - the station is in an area with a lot of road construction and I think most people who aren't relying on a GPS to get around town are avoiding that area.

I should have pulled in and filled up - down to my last 100 miles on this "city" tank. Most of the stations are at $3.29. Which brings up this interesting question:

How Far Should You Drive for that Cheaper Gas?

stever said:

$2.99 for regular. $3.59 for diesel. Bit of an aberration - the station is in an area with a lot of road construction and I think most people who aren't relying on a GPS to get around town are avoiding that area.

I should have pulled in and filled up - down to my last 100 miles on this "city" tank. Most of the stations are at $3.29. Which brings up this interesting question:

According to that little calculator I saved $8.59 by driving to the cheapest Shell station to fill up. Local Shell diesel is $4.35, 13 miles away the Shell is $3.85. I put in 24.6 gallons. We also hit Costco and BevMo, had breakfast and went to the library.

I'm starting to think that the $3.45 I've been seeing here for quite some time is a hard floor for my area. Prices generally falling seem to have no effect! :s
    Finally starting to see some movement here in Colorado. Local Kroger RUG has dropped to $3.499.

Premium is still expensive. Filled up the wife's CX-7 at Shell for $3.959 last Saturday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• trontron Member Posts: 4

3.09 Riggins R.U.G

Another trickle down to $3.43

Hey, two cents is still worth two cents B)
    PF_Flyer said:

Another trickle down to $3.43

Hey, two cents is still worth two cents B)

Same here in Colorado ... RUG is down to $3.469 at the local Kroger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

And the cheap gas place is down a penny to $2.98. The construction really has their access messed up today and there was only one car getting gas when we cruised by it around 8:45 this morning running errands.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    In central CT... 3.399 for RUG @ a Mobil station
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I got all excited about another $2.99 gas place that was accessible and near a good neighborhood. Turned out to be E-15; regular RUG wasn't bad though at $3.07.
    Drop to $3.39 here, and it was a cruel drop. I stop at Sheetz in the morning to pick up a breakfast sandwich most days, but this day I needed gas, so I filled up before going inside. Paid at the pump. As I walk in, one of the clerks says to another, "The price alert signal just came on".

Yes, I bought my gas 30 seconds too soon. Timing in life is everything
    $2.97 here.

Sure, rub it in B)
    PF_Flyer said:

Sure, rub it in B)

+1.

RUG is $3.419 at the local Kroger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Naturally, my gas consumption has fallen to ~18 gallons a month now. And that's with two of us sharing the one car.
    edited October 2014
    We're down ta $3.13 a gallon for RUG here at Sav-Mat on 10th St. in downtown Alamogordo. Still enamored with Las Cruces, stever? Still interested in a Kia Soul?

edited October 2014
    Yes and Yes. Liking it more every day. Hope to move into a house in 2 weeks. Took a 3 mile hike up Soledad Canyon this morning and saw two snakes (a garter and a gopher). :)

Saw "my" Soul parked at Target the other day. White with the panoramic sunroof. The owner wasn't in sight unfortunately. Finally got the brake rattle fixed on the van though, so I'm happy with it again, at least for the time being.

My wife is still talking about a Prius too, but with gas under $3, it's not as attractive a choice.
    Filled up tonight on the way to the art crawl downtown. Skipped the station that's in the middle of construction, was a zoo at 5 pm. So I wound up paying a penny more for regular.

$2.95.

Don't get to fill the van up too often for under $50 like that.
    Our current plateau is at $3.39 and we've been there for a bit. Up or down from there seems to be the question!
    $3.37

I'll take the two cents anytime I can get it!
    Drove by a station today with regular for $2.89.
    Saw that it was under $3 in southern Jersey.

NJ for Pete's sake :)
    RUG has dropped to $3.259/gal at the local Kroger here in CO.

Would love to see it drop below $3/gal!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

This discussion has been closed.