Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

1545556575860»

Comments

• tbk81tbk81 Member Posts: 9
    Think side roof rails are standard on sel. :)
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Black roof rack side rails and cross bars are not standard on the SEL with the 300A package, you must order the 302A equipment package to get the roof rack.
  • tbk81tbk81 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for correcting that.
  • 1016remey1016remey Member Posts: 3
    I leased a 2012 Escape Limited on May 30, 2012. The steering wheel was off center and it pulled to the left. I also noticed that the wheel felt heavy and tough to steer (resistance when steering) while driving at all speeds. The vehicle was aligned (adjusted - caster, camber, toe-in/front left); however I continue to have the issue with steering tightness, wheel still off center (to the left), the vehicle wanders to right when driving straight and difficult handing (feels like driving a boat).

It is going in for service on Monday, has anyone else experienced this issue and how to resolve?
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2012
    I did a test drive of 2 litre ecoboost a few weeks ago. The Sales Rep who I know let me go out with it on a solo test. It was fully loaded and very expensive ( listing at over 37 grand . It seemed to be a have great power and dynamics as good as the Mazda CX-5 plus comfortable inside with very upscale feel. It was just to expensive to consider even on a lease.
    To make a long story short, I ended up purchasing a 2010 "Limited" Escape, Certified used 6cyl., AWD fully loaded.
    So far, I have been pleased.
    My first tank, I tried the " flex-fuel" capability which was an experiment and quickly found out why this is not cost effective. Subsequently, using regular fuel, and employing very soft touch on gas, even taking it off of speed control on rolling terrain, I have managed to get a few MPGs over the EPA estimates. If this continues, I will be very pleased. The steering is not communicative but it is never the less secure. The Black leather in the White truck is very distinctive. The large sunroof even when fully open creates less noise and buffeting than in other cars which I have had this feature.
    It should be pointed out, that the old body style has a number of practicality advantages, one being the overall hieght of the hatch opening and a big one for me is the ability to open only the glass portion of the hatch. I do not know why all manufactures have gone to this one opening feature ? To me the option of the "hands free hatch" could be a problem if say, a cat, runs underneath your car activating the opening of the hatch.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    To me the option of the "hands free hatch" could be a problem if say, a cat, runs underneath your car activating the opening of the hatch.

Actually, I believe the key has to be with a couple of feet of the back door befor the door will activate so someone, cat or otherwise, can't just stand behind your vehicle and open the door. That would be kind of unsafe from a security point of view.
    edited July 2012
    In fact the sales person said that the hatch will not open if the car is moving or perhaps he meant if the car is in gear. However, I am thinking about a situation where a "key" is in proximaty of the hatch, perhaps I am standing outside or sitting in the car, then some animal running underneath the hatch activates the switch to release the lock popping it open. I do not think this would be an unusual scenario. One more thing to concern yourself with from a security stand point would be thieves who are familiar with this feature will be moving their leg underneath your hatch hoping to get access
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Of course the hatch will not open if the car is moving or in gear but I don't think you read my post completely. If you are not right at the back liftgate, ie. within a couple of feet, the door will not activate. If you are sitting in the car or even outside the car around towards the front or sides, the key will not be read and the door will not activate. If your sitting in the car you are 6-7 feet away from the back liftgate which is further than the proximity device can detect. That's why keyless entry doesn't work until you are right at the door to the vehicle.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    The hands free lift gate will not open unless the key fob is within three feet of the vehicle and your leg is both behind and under the rear bumper and the sensors detect movement at both those locations. There's a video on you tube demonstrating how the hatch will not open by an animal, ball or any other object rolling under the car. Also, the Titanium and properly equipped SEL and SE models have the power lift gate which can be activated by the fob or switch on the dash.
    It appears that the Ford people have this issue covered and well thought out.. however, I still feel that this feature is a little bit 'over the top', or 'under the bottom', in this case.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I read that BMW is using the same technology as Ford does with the Escape to open the hatch on their new 3 series SUV. Wave your foot under the bumper, just like Ford. Seems to be catching on.
    Loosing the pop- open glass is still a bad idea, we loose some load carrying options.
    I understand that Ford got everything they possibly could out of the old body style. I really liked the dynamics of the new vehicle, the new ecoboost engines and most of the rest, still they should found some way to save the pop open window.
  • theprguytheprguy Member Posts: 1
    I read a review in the Wall Street Journal recently that stated older turbos burned hotter and it was the oil you used that mattered most. They have that under control these days with synthetics and mixtures. (I use AmSoil myself.) And the technology has improved.

I'll be picking up a 1.6 L turbo Escape from Brighton Ford on Monday. The fuel efficiency as others have posted depends more upon the driver than the EPA listing. (By the way, the EPA tests without any ethanol in their gas, so their mileage always will be higher.)

It is saft to buy and it will give you the combined fuel efficiency in the real world depending upon how you drive it. Turn off the car at stoplights for more than 2 minutes. Don't do jack rabbit starts. Keep it 65 and under on the highway. Keep tires inflated properly.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Member Posts: 21
    interested in hearing the mileage you get in your 2013 Escape
    I have an 08 & 09
    thinking about trading one in
    I'm getting 32.7mpg with both mine

give yours some miles on the road- then state what mpg you are getting
    because you know how to properly drive to get the best mpg
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The pop-open window is gone on my 12 Explorer too. I miss it as well.
  • jim2766jim2766 Member Posts: 2
    Ours is the Titanium model with the 2.0, and its still not being shipped to the dealer, 4 weeks now on hold at the local rail yard!!
  • maggie52maggie52 Member Posts: 1
    Ordered 2013 escape sel on 6/26, was built on 7/23. Dealer tells me it is on hold. Delivery now week of 8/15.

How long are others waiting for delivery?
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Ordered Titanium on 7/25 built on 8/14 delivery 8/27-31 or week of 8/27.