Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Short-Bed Problems - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Ram
imageShort-Bed Problems - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Problems associated with hauling a motorcycle in the Edmunds 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88

I agree but having a crew cab is so convenient that I can handle the rare times I had a Quad and ramp/or hauling something large in the bed of my Raptor and no use of the rear camera. If your going to have a large vehicle you should get used to the proportions without relying on the camera. Also, you may want to drop the bed extender behind the motorcycle for safety.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Crazy thing is a short bed used to be six feet long...they're not even THAT long anymore.

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365

Extended cab long bed handles this well enough or of course you can get a proper 3/4 -1 ton truck 4 doors and a full size bed. Even comes with a diesel motor.

• cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54

Wouldn't it fit if you angled it from one corner of the box to the opposite corner?

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

@hybris said:
    ...a proper 3/4 -1 ton truck 4 doors and a full size bed. Even comes with a diesel motor.

Talk about overkill! If you need it, sure, but if we're talking about a truck that's been doing 95% commuting and 5% motorcycle towing, hardly needed. You could put a little motorcycle trailer behind a Toyota Corolla and call it a day. It's a cheap solution, plus you have FAR lower operating costs.

• nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69

@hybris said:
    Extended cab long bed handles this well enough or of course you can get a proper 3/4 -1 ton truck 4 doors and a full size bed. Even comes with a diesel motor.

all big 3 half-tons are available with the 6.5ft bed these days and, looking at that picture would have fit the bike with the tail gate closed

no need to go 3/4 ton unless you want the 8ft bed on a crew cab, the added towing/hauling, a diesel, or you just like a badass over-engineered truck ;)

• jfroejfroe Member Posts: 3

You can buy the Ram 1500 Crew Cab in a 6.5 foot bed, but it is a longer truck. In the end, you pick the cab configuration and bed size that would work for you.

• izoomieizoomie Member Posts: 3

Yet another "I bought or borrowed a truck that has load/space capacity that is less/smaller than my known load, and the truck is somehow at fault." Anyone who puts any load into a truck that is over the weight or space capacity of the truck, should not be driving on the public roads.

• trmckintrmckin Member Posts: 10

umm.. angle the bike in the bed man.. or... get a bed extender... also, no one driving a vehicle this size should be depending on the backup camera. If you can't drive it or park it with confidence, I'd avoid piloting that motorcycle. People have been driving and even backing up trucks much wider and longer than this for decades. Use your mirrors. Don't be a slave to tech. Use it as needed.

The most interesting thing about this truck is the engine. That’s the review we want to hear. Too many doors and the bed is too small. That’s all you could muster in your review and you’re working for Edmunds. Someone has made a grave mistake in hiring you for this job, that’s for sure.

Anyone who goes on a public road with a load that is too large or heavy for the truck needs to be ticketed by the cops. You put everyone in danger.

• misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471

I don't know if anyone needs to be arrested over this, but yeah, the first thing I thought when I read the article was "Where's the bed extender?" Obviously Edmunds did not buy one for this truck, so the next obvious question is "Why?"

• opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106

that rear view camera is so full of fail.

• nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2014

@opfreak said:
    that rear view camera is so full of fail.

where would you put it instead? rear bumper? biggest advantage is backing up to a trailer and up on the tailgate is the only way to show the hitch as well. I'd rather lose it with the tailgate down.
    come to think about it, most sedans and SUVs have them on the trunklid/tailgate, leave them open and you can stare at the sky.

• csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143

EVERYONE!!! CALL THE FIRING SQUAD!!! NIEBUHR HAS TO BE PUT DOWN FOR THE GOOD OF SOCIETY!!!

Good grief people. Go anywhere people ride dirtbikes and you will see plenty of people roll up with multiple bikes in a truck, tailgate down, and only TWO tie down straps(panic in my voice)! And ya know what? The bikes never fall out. Heck even most of the small two or three motorcycle trailers only use two tie downs at the front. His use of four tie down straps was plenty of safety overkill.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,303

If carrying a bike was criteria in buying a truck, you get one with a longer bed. These trucks are designed for towing, so get a trailer for your bike. Doesn't seem to difficult.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

The writer is the one who said he was worried about his load in front of the cops. If he's worried about how it's loaded he shouldn't take it on the road.

• speednetspeednet Member Posts: 52

Best to get the quad cab with the standard 6.5' bed size. Edmunds bought the same short bed on the Silverado. I don't get it.