Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended Warranty - Toyota Extra Care

124»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like it's probably true - the captive Toyota distributors have a reputation for adding on junk to increase profits so using their own warranty would fit.

Regional Pricing and/or Option Differences for Toyota Models

You might try a TN dealer and see if they'll sell you a "real" Toyota warranty. I used the Chattanooga dealer for a repair and was happy with their service, but that was back in 1984.
  • japudejapude Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Steve for confirming that that's the way to go. I guess once "real" Toyota warranty is purchased, it won't be a problem to get vehicle serviced at any of the Toyota dealer nationwide. I may have to do same as what you did after 30 years..

Why is this not made very evident by Toyota that the distributor have stronger hold on what to offer in region than Toyota. Why doesn't dealers advertise themselves as Southeast Toyota Dealer or Gulf State Toyota Dealer rather than just Toyota Dealer when they do not sell warranty product that Toyota is offering. Honda does not do that. Recently we purchased another vehicle from Honda. Though finance guy tried to sell third party warranty, he finally gave me Honda Care upon insistence.
    Well, those distributors "took a chance" on a little car company decades ago and lots of others didn't do so well (Simca, Peugeot and Yugo come to mind offhand). So they had clout back in the day and are still taking advantage of their favorable distribution terms.

You'd think they'd offer a choice though, like the Honda dealers, since those in the know won't buy the "off-brand" and SET is leaving some money on the table.

Some dealers are big on "additional dealer markup" and they don't advertise that either. But it's getting easier and easier to research this stuff at least.
  • ericskirkericskirk Member Posts: 2
    was quoted a 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty yesterday for around $1600 from the finance managed, we declined. we also get gap coverage through our insurances for $30 a year, so didn't buy that either.

Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota quoted me $689 for that warranty.
  • zurelzurel Member Posts: 1
    A few months ago I purchased a 2013 Toyota Sienna XLE in Texas. The finance guy at the dealer gave me the usual talk and quoted me over $2,000 for an 8-year / 100,000 mile extended warranty. I already knew about Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota from these forums so I decided to check with him. His quote was much better (about $1,000) for the same 8-year full Toyota warranty and his e-mail was very upfront about pricing and details of the warranty. Once I e-mailed him back, he gave me a call the same night and got everything set up over the phone. A few weeks later I received the paperwork from Toyota and the warranty matched exactly what he quoted. I'm very happy I called Jerry since he was honest and fair. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for an extended warranty from Toyota.

A few other helpful notes: Jerry told me that he sells to people all over the country since you can buy an extended warranty from any dealer. Also, he mentioned that anyone with less than both 3 years & 36,000 miles is still eligible for the extended warranty, so if you missed the opportunity when you bought the car you still might have some time.
  • japudejapude Member Posts: 8
    Is the extended warranty you bought Toyota Extra Care or third party warranty? If it's Toyota Extra Care, what's the contact information (email, phone) of Jerry? I am in SouthEast Toyota region. And they don't want to sell Toyota Extra care. They would sell all third party warranties.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I saw your post and I had Jerry's email since I too have contacted him concerning an extended warranty for our 2012 Limited.
    jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • itsacaritsacar Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Im looking for some advice. My mother purchased a camry today at Toyota of Bakersfield and was sold an extended warranty on the 2013 Camry she bought.
    I'm pretty sure she was majorly ripped-off with the extended warranty. They sold her a 7 yr/100,000 mile for almost $3000. I unfortunately was called by her when she was signing papers and walked in when he was explaining the warranty. I advised against it but he told her it would be a big mistake not to buy it and that she couldn't buy it any other time and that the car would be worthless if she didn't buy it. I asked him numerous times "Are you sure you can only buy it now?" and he told me yes and if she didn't buy it now she wouldnt have any warranty. I come home to research this and I believe he lied to us... Did she get ripped off? Can you purchase an extended warranty after you purchase the car (I've seen some info where you have 30 days after car purchase?)
    I'm pretty sure he took advantage of an older lady.
    She unfortunately paid the full amount right away (of the car & warrentyalso ) so I'm not sure if we could cancel the extended warranty?
    We're keeping the car even though she overpaid for that also. I was just hoping I could help her save on this $3000 extended warranty plan (unless I'm wrong and she didn't get ripped off?)
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Your mother was dealing with a real shyster. This is type of guy that gives car salespeople a bad name. Demand to see the general manager or the owner of the dealership and insist on your money back for the warranty. The camry has a three year warranty on everything and a five year warranty on the powertrain. There is nothing wrong with an extended warranty, but not at this crazy price. You can buy the extended warranty at a later date and from any Toyota dealer. It does not have to be the selling dealer of the car.
  • breakingbadbreakingbad Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I was told by a Toyota salesman that you can't buy an extended warranty out of your marketing area. He said that its illegal and would be worthless.
    I was gonna buy from Jerry but since I'm in California, Im not sure if I could.
    Have any of you heard this?
    I'd ask the guy in Kansas - or ask the salesperson to quote you the California statute making that illegal.
  • smooth01smooth01 Member Posts: 18
    Jerry sells The toyota extended warranty that will be mailed to you directly from toyota, Iowa has honored mine and if they do not honor it call toyota and report them or even check with toyota before you buy it to ease your mind.
  • helenemielehelenemiele Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I wanted to thank everyone for posting Jerry Johnson's email address jerryj@MidwestSuperstore.com. I own a 2012 Toyota Highlander with 35500 miles and brought it to a dealer in NJ for an oil change on Sunday who quoted me $1899.00 for a 5yr/125K mile extended warranty. I contacted Jerry in Kansas and he was able to validate the miles on my truck because it was just at the dealer on Sunday and gave me the same warranty for $799.00!

This is a Toyota Warranty so if you are looking for an extended warranty and want to save some money. contact Jerry!
  • backsterbackster Member Posts: 12
    I would buy from jerry in a heart-beat-- unless there is a NEW statue that prevents out of market sales the salesman at Bakersfield toyota is full of it. In 2001 I bought a Toyota sequoia from Bob Baker toyota in Lemon Grove, CA I bought a toyota warranty from a dealer in Iowa (before jerry got in the game) I used the warranty in CA and in NY (transmission replacement and more) without any problem. I recently bought a 13 Highlander in NY and was going to buy the warranty from Jerry but the Ny dealer matched Jerry's price--they made no mention of out of market area garbage.....
  • lildukelilduke Member Posts: 16

I just traded in my Highlander and have a ToyotaCare warranty that was never used (bought in 2012). Does anyone know the process to try to get the pro-rated refund? I can't find anything on TFS's site?

2014 Accord Touring

• sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120

@lilduke said:
    I just traded in my Highlander and have a ToyotaCare warranty that was never used (bought in

2012). Does anyone know the process to try to get the pro-rated refund? I can't find anything on TFS's site?

Hope you got your answer by now. Just call the number on the contract and they will send out the refund ASAP. No problem at all.

• bbctbbct Member Posts: 3

Hi, could someone please provide dealers in NJ who can provide quotes or any online link for Toyota Care (platinum) on 8 yr / 100K or 125K?

Thanks in advance

• krazziekkrazziek Member Posts: 1

Just an FYI, Called Toyota today and they said that you have to buy a policy at a brick and mortar location, policies cannot be purchased over email, phone or fax. The example the customer service rep used was "if you live in CA its not like you can buy your policy from KS or MA...." I assume the "loophole" that many benefited from in the past has unfortunitly been closed :(... if anyone has any suggestions in MA please let me know... the dealer that has the truck I want (FJ Cruiser) was shooting really high on the 6 yr 125k miles... Thanks! Also I did reach out to Jerry... but I am not sure if he works there anymore... never heard back!

My understanding is that you can drive to Kansas (or other state) and buy an extended warranty in person.

• biteratbiterat Member Posts: 3

@stever said:
    Well, those distributors "took a chance" on a little car company decades ago and lots of others didn't do so well (Simca, Peugeot and Yugo come to mind offhand). So they had clout back in the day and are still taking advantage of their favorable distribution terms.

You'd think they'd offer a choice though, like the Honda dealers, since those in the know won't buy the "off-brand" and SET is leaving some money on the table.

Some dealers are big on "additional dealer markup" and they don't advertise that either. But it's getting easier and easier to research this stuff at least.

I am a firm believer in buying extended auto warranties. I buy low mileage used cars from dealerships and always ask for Platinum Warranty but only one that is issued directly by Toyota Motor Corp.
    I have a '09 Honda Accord V6 EXL and I paid $ 1650.00 for a 7 year /100,000 mile bumper to bumper Toyota Platinum Continuous care warranty. The warranty is good until 2019 or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. I have about 40,000 miles on the car.
    I take my car to local Honda dealer for oil change ( cheaper than service stations ) and they really take good care of my car and if they find anything, they call Toyota and perform work under warranty. It is peace of mind. The repair costs are so high, knowing I have a comprehensive warranty issued by Toyota, I do not need worry.Our '08 Camry has the same warranty and my '05 Honda Accord V6 EXL had the same warranty.
    I think they are worth every penny, specially with zero co-pay and deductible, road side assistance and loaner car when car is in the repair shop.

Toyota Platinum Care Continuous Care Warranty

• dk02dk02 Member Posts: 1
    So, I bought a car today. Originally, my apr was around 5%. Then, I accepted the extended warranty (3000k/10 years) and he found me a 2.8% APR. Now I tought about it and don;t want the extended coverage after reading the posts here.
    I called the guy, first he said my APR would change if I cancelled. Then he backed of and kept the same. Can he do that? I mean, my loan was approved at 2.8%. Can he changed because I want to cancel my extended warranty?
    edited October 2014
    Funny how they found you a great rate after you agreed to buy the extended warranty.

What changed since then to ding your credit? Right - nothing, you just zapped some of their profit by cancelling the warranty. I'd go ahead and cancel if you wish.

Next time, line up your own financing and then invite the dealer to beat it. Often they can, and they'll still make money packaging your loan.

If you get any flack cancelling, maybe drop a hint that you're going to call the local consumer protection agency or attorney general's office and ask for their opinion. Financing and buying add-ons should really be separate transactions.

For a while there, some of the big box electronic stores were doing something sort of similar. If you wanted to buy a laptop on sale, but told the salesperson on the floor that you weren't interested in the extended warranty, you were told the laptop was out of stock.

The trick was to say you were interested in the warranty, get the laptop to the checkout, and when you pulled out your credit card, you suddenly changed your mind about the warranty. No issues about the laptop being out of stock. I think the FTC may have gotten a bit upset about that one.

Some grinders reportedly will agree to purchase lots of dealer add-ons in order to get a great price on a car. They make sure that whatever they get can be cancelled without penalty and they pay attention to the fine print that tells them how long they have to cancel and how to go about it. Then after the deal is done, they cancel the gap insurance or extended warranty or whatever.

That's a bit risky and doesn't work for $500 pin stripe jobs. B)

• tdivertdiver Member Posts: 18
    I have the Toyota Platinum warranty on my 2010 Highlander. Got it from Jerry when it was new. Was very happy with Jerry. The drivers window fell into the door the other day so I took the Highlander to my dealer. Toyota would NOT cover the work because(and I call them my self) a bolt had came loose and They don't cover bolts, fasteners, clips, welds, etc.... I talk to a manager there and got the same run around. So because the whole car is welded and bolted together you don't have to pay for any problem I said. The Manager said well that's not true and then he just gave me more run around. I guess all I have to say is buyer be wear. I will never buy another Toyota extended warranty.
    edited December 2014
    Well, I suppose you could sue them.

Oh wait, it's a Toyota and you agree to mandatory binding arbitration when you buy a car from them, so you can't sue them. The same language is probably in the extended warranty agreements too.
  • tdivertdiver Member Posts: 18
    Yes, stever you are right, it is. When I was talking with Toyota warranty they said there is 20 things they don't cover and that they are clearly listed in the warranty. I said where is that on the back in fine print? He said no. Well I did find the "list" in paragraph form, in fine print on the back of the last page. Imagine that!!!
  • waynewalwaynewal Member Posts: 6
    Here it is 2019 and found this thread - just from the guy above to see if he is still around. Else anyone else doing this? Thanks. About to buy a 2016 Highlander XLE with < 23,000 miles. Any help here? thanks!
    Wayne