Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Alternative, Cheaper Navigation - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageAlternative, Cheaper Navigation - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

A navigation system is included in the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA's $2,370 Multimedia package, but you don't have to pay that much to get navigation. The Becker Map Pilot is a cheaper alternative.

Read the full story here

Comments

• yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234

Rearview cameras will be mandatory in 2018? So many normal manufacturers are making them standard now. It's odd that it's not standard on premium brands.

• christophermcgchristophermcg Member Posts: 10

It really is sad because the backup camera is probably $30 in parts.

• kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175

Is there anyway to get the CLA and new C-Class without the screen? It looks a lot better without it.

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

If you're not going to seamlessly integrate it into the interior decor, you might as well just get an aftermarket one that'll probably work better and be far more reliable. Heck, just put an iPad mount and slap your iPad there. Anything has to look better than the tacky screen sitting there on top. Come on Mercedes.

• mercamgmercamg Member Posts: 1

Mercedes-Benz placed that type of screen in the new models for safety reasons. Yes, at first it is difficult to fall in love with because it is so unconventional, however you get used to the sleek look. I drive an array of these models due to my job, and they designed it the way they did to keep the drivers eyes on the road more than looking into a command unit. Safety first!

• moparfoolmoparfool Member Posts: 8

My - $600 for software and $200 for $10 worth of wire and terminals. Indeed, a rich fool and his money are soon parted. A backup camera came standard on my 2014 Toyota, and I refuse to pay big bucks for a built in navigation system. When it fails, and it will, it will cost a lot to fix, plus within five years it is getting obsolete. I pay under $100 for a Garmin and it works just as well for me as some overpriced built-in nav.

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365

I don't understand the Becker navigation option in Benzes. You are paying a massive premium to get a low-quality navigation system that works no better than the maps app on your smartphone. Just buy a $20 mount to hold your phone and be done with it. The full Multimedia Package makes more sense to me. You are paying a big premium to get a bunch of extra infotainment stuff. It is still kind of a ripoff, but this is a luxury car and that is par for the course. At least you get something not available elsewhere for your few grand.

• redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52

@yellowbal said:
    Rearview cameras will be mandatory in 2018? So many normal manufacturers are making them standard now. It's odd that it's not standard on premium brands.

Agreed, it was one of the reasons I eliminated this car from my car search. I thought you could add backup camera as a standalone, but you have to get it with that $2,000+ multimedia package.

Although, I think the Japanese luxury brands offer a backup camera standard on all their cars.

• mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2014

I don't understand the Becker navigation option in Benzes. You are paying a massive premium to get a low-quality navigation system that works no better than the maps app on your smartphone. Just buy a $20 mount to hold your phone and be done with it. The full Multimedia Package makes more sense to me. You are paying a big premium to get a bunch of extra infotainment stuff. It is still kind of a ripoff, but this is a luxury car and that is par for the course. At least you get something not available elsewhere for your few grand.

Well said, I can plug my iPhone in my cars aux cord and Maps will speak the directions to me and having current gps is just a free update away for me.

• typeshtypesh Member Posts: 22
    moparfool said:

My - $600 for software and $200 for $10 worth of wire and terminals. Indeed, a rich fool and his money are soon parted. A backup camera came standard on my 2014 Toyota, and I refuse to pay big bucks for a built in navigation system. When it fails, and it will, it will cost a lot to fix, plus within five years it is getting obsolete. I pay under $100 for a Garmin and it works just as well for me as some overpriced built-in nav.

Also, on the new Civics, if you get SE (a new trim that's only $700 more than the base LX) or above (basically any model that has the HondaLink), you get nav on your car's screen with a $59.99 navigation app as long as you have an iPhone 5/5S/5C or 6/6+.