Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096

Saw a new Genesis today, parked at the dealer. Looks good, parallel universe Audi (previous model, a parallel universe E60 BMW).

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

@explorerx4 said:
    stickguy. There were probably BMW's. Their plant is not far from Columbia, maybe Spartanburg?

They make "trucks" in Spartenburg (and have their test track there), though that is about 2 hours away.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

oops

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@robr2 said:
    It needs to have the AC and cooling systems tested just like any other car and of course the cooling system for the batteries.

Not sure they do that for all cars since the Escape we rented did not fare too well. For a good stretch, we had to turn off the AC as the temp gauge started pushing its way north, then even had to turn on the heat inside the cabin (while it was 120 outside) to help keep the engine safe. I was pretty worried a couple of times.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@qbrozen said:
    Not sure they do that for all cars since the Escape we rented did not fare too well. For a good stretch, we had to turn off the AC as the temp gauge started pushing its way north, then even had to turn on the heat inside the cabin (while it was 120 outside) to help keep the engine safe. I was pretty worried a couple of times.

Oh c'mon q - you're smarter than that. Your focus group of 1 doesn't apply to an entire product line. All HVAC systems are tested to withstand extremes. I'm guessing the Escape you had may have had a problem with the AC.

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369

Golf wagon? Today in downtown traffic I passed what appeared to be a VW Jetta Sportwagon but in place of the "Jetta" lettering in the rear it said "Golf" and it wore the "TDI" designator on the right as well. I've read that Volkswagen is planning to introduce an AWD version of the sport wagon to be badged as a Golf (as they are everywhere but North America). I looked on the VOA website and could find no evidence of such a vehicle in the current lineup

The car I saw looked otherwise identical to the current wagon but I didn't get a good look at the front.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

@andys120 said:
    Golf wagon? Today in downtown traffic I passed what appeared to be a VW Jetta Sportwagon but in place of the "Jetta" lettering in the rear it said "Golf" and it wore the "TDI" designator on the right as well. I've read that Volkswagen is planning to introduce an AWD version of the sport wagon to be badged as a Golf (as they are everywhere but North America). I looked on the VOA website and could find no evidence of such a vehicle in the current lineup

The car I saw looked otherwise identical to the current wagon but I didn't get a good look at the front.

The 2015 Sportwagon is being marketed as a Golf and not a Jetta but is not expected until after the new year.

If it was the current Sportwagon, it's possible some "enthusiast" changed out the nameplate so he could be "oh so Euro."

Someone in my building just got a new Mazda 3, kind of a dark metallic red.

edited August 2014

rob, my comment was tongue in cheek. Just pointing out I'm not terribly happy with the performance of the new Escape.

But, seriously, how many people are driving a Volt through Death Valley? Just seems silly to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@qbrozen said:
    rob, my comment was tongue in cheek. Just pointing out I'm not terribly happy with the performance of the new Escape.

But, seriously, how many people are driving a Volt through Death Valley? Just seems silly to me.

Got it on the Escape.

How often is anyone driving anything through Death Valley? Tongue in cheek as well. Death Valley is used because it's a naturally hot area - it's cheaper than building a climate controlled test track.

Saw a Kia K9 today, dealer plates so likely not a rental.

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261

Spotted a silver Tesla at Magee and Bingham in NE Philly.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

New Sonata at the National rental agency in Knoxville, TN. I opted for the Mazda6 as I hadn't driven one of those yet.

Saw a Tesla today - not unusual at all here, but this one was being lifted onto a flatbed tow truck.

Also saw a new Sonata, rental with QR stickers, likely National or Alamo, I think.

New C-class is on the MBUSA site, and I know of someone in Houston who has posted pics of one at his local dealer. I might go annoy the local dealership about the car tomorrow.

Stopped by the local dealer, lo and behold, their W205 demo arrived yesterday. Moderately equipped C300 with a "5" VIN and a 50K sticker.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029

@andys120 said:

Up here in the Great White North, VW Canada re-badged that model as a Golf Wagon a couple of years ago, no more Jetta wagon which is what it started as. Probably a visitor from up here.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

the new US version I think is due out around the end of this year. New Golf though is on the ground.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685

Saw a new Sonata - meh...it's gone from being my favorite for a clean (if boring) design two generations ago, to a flashy/over-styled design last generation, to a Fusion knock-off with a crude/too-large grille that's a cross between the Ford's and Audi's. Wonder how it will do.

Saw a new Genesis today, which is now an XL Sonata. Looks like the pretentiously-named-by-deliriously-overpaid-exec-types "fluidic sculpture" is going out without a peep.

Saw a 4er GT today, and a new CTS with "Boeing Classic" door signage.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Spotted a whole trailer load of BMW i3s. Headed up I-26, about two hours north of the port in Charleston, SC.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Went car looking earlier today - BMW dealer had maybe a dozen i3 - some loaded up to 56K or so. Also numerous 3ers around 60K, so the 60K C-class isn't such a big deal.

MB dealer had a new S65, 230K+ MSRP.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255

In the parking lot at work 2 new CLA's.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I was surprised when I was at the local M-B dealer yesterday that they only had one CLA on the lot - I thought they would be overrun with them. I dunno if that means they are selling like crazy or are not selling at all. They had a surprising number of B-series cars, especially since I almost never see them on the roads.

I noticed yesterday that according to the M-B website the 2015 C-class has a dash similar to the CLA with the glued-on iPad-like screen jutting up from the center of the dash. A step backwards IMO.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

@ab348 said:
    I was surprised when I was at the local M-B dealer yesterday that they only had one CLA on the lot - I thought they would be overrun with them. I dunno if that means they are selling like crazy or are not selling at all. They had a surprising number of B-series cars, especially since I almost never see them on the roads.

I noticed yesterday that according to the M-B website the 2015 C-class has a dash similar to the CLA with the glued-on iPad-like screen jutting up from the center of the dash. A step backwards IMO.

Recently saw a listing of the top-ten fastest selling models, measured by days on the lot, and the CLA was one of them. Maybe, they are delivering them, as fast as they get them in?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2014

@kyfdx said:
    Maybe, they are delivering them, as fast as they get them in?

The local store has 4 compared to 13 C's and 14 E's out of a total new stock of 49.

3 are mountain grey with Ash MB-tex interior (what color is ash? Black?)
    1 is white with black red-cut interior. It's available for $64K if anyone wants the
    info to contact the dealer to buy it...

Of course Mercedes could be just not delivering as many as the demand might be
    for, making it easier to maintain the idea they are difficult to get.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

$64K? I thought the CLA was a mid-30s to mid-$40s car?

In Murka, starts at 30K, loaded with an ipad glued to the dash and other boxes checked, 40K. But a loaded AMG model can get up to around 60K.

Early on anyway, sales were literally 100% more than predicted - it's a huge home run for MB, and I bet the margins are nice, too (built on existing platform, built in Hungary).

US is just getting the B now, as an electric.

@ab348 said:

edited August 2014

@ab348 said:

http://www.mbofcenterville.com/new/2014/mercedes/cla45-amg/2014-mercedes-cla45-amg-white-centerville-for-sale-wddsj5cb5en113846

On the dealer page, these are slide shows:

Black rims? Someone must have put a set of snow tires on the thing. ;)

@ab348 said:
    Black rims? Someone must have put a set of snow tires on the thing. ;)

Nope those are optional rims on the CLA45. I just built one on MBUSA and ticked every box and hit $67,511.

Yikes.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Two Ford F-150 King Ranch pickups on a small car hauler.

Went car looking - no TLXs, and the layout of local Acura dealer who has about 3 parking spots didn't make me want to hang around. M4 - MSRP 83 or 86K, good luck (it'll sell). Lexus showroom was pretty bare, but an almost zero option IS250 seemed unusual. Used A7 was the most interesting thing on the Toyota lot - man the 4Runner has a homely face. Chatted up a friendly salesman at the less than crowded Caddy dealer, who had 5x ELR on the lot - first thing he said was "problem with those is that they are too expensive", good. New CTS is a really nice looking ride.

@fintail said:
    New CTS is a really nice looking ride.

It is, in the right colors. Local dealer has one in black and one in a dark grayish shade, both with black insides, and they look kind of blah. But I do like the design. The problem I have is that they are priced in M-B territory now. I am a GM fan but I know their trim, hardware, switchgear, mechanicals, etc, is not of the same quality. And going to the dealer for service and waiting in line behind some pizza delivery kid in a Sonic is not what I want at that price point. I was thinking I would probably buy a CTS to replace my Regal, but they may be pushing me to M-B. I like the E-class and the new C-class is interesting.

@ab348 said:
    And going to the dealer for service and waiting in line behind some pizza delivery kid in a Sonic is not what I want at that price point.

Most Cadillac stores are self standing here after the shakeup in stores by GM. A few a Cadillac/GMC, Cadillac/GMC/Buick, or Cadillac/Buick. It varies with the locations and ownership and market when they were doing the cutbacks on stores.

Aren't going to be many pizza delivery folks driving a Cadillac. GMC is a possibility but not likely in this area. More likely to see a rotted out honda or Hyunda.

edited September 2014

CTS has grown up, it seems E size now. ATS is more Regal comparable, IMO. I think it looks good in white (along with the E). The darker metallics are very sparkly, which is a cool kind of retro thing. Nicely equipped, around 60K - which isn't far off the E, maybe 10% at most. The MB might lease better, especially for a returning customer. My local Caddy dealer is Caddy only, so the dealer experience shouldn't be the same. But, I don't love the center stack design. I'll probably be brand loyal when my current term is up, but I don't mind looking. I still think about buying a car, but as long as I can afford it, might as well live a little - and there aren't many modern used cars that I really like, nor do I know if I want to put an older car into daily driver use.

The C shows the future of MB, where the E will probably be pushed up a notch, and the C slotting in below the current E, but not entry level. With the new C being able to be optioned north of 60K (in the US), things are changing. CLA is the new C, C will be a smaller E, E a smaller S.

@ab348 said:
    It is, in the right colors. Local dealer has one in black and one in a dark grayish shade, both with black insides, and they look kind of blah. But I do like the design. The problem I have is that they are priced in M-B territory now.

In these parts there are no standalone Cadillac dealers. Probably should be, or Cadillac-Buick at least. The experience at the Chevy-Buick-Cadillac dealer where I bought my Regal is not great. But the volume here is small cheap cars and pickups. Not sure a Cadillac-Buick dealer would do enough business to survive here.

edited September 2014

My mom lives in a small town. When I was a kid, the Caddy dealer shared a building with Buick, GMC, and of all things, Honda. Today, they are all gone except Honda.

Here, Caddy is standalone, near the Chevy dealer. The dealership once had a cool 70s style building in a great location, but it was apparently leased (?), and moved about 4-5 years ago. The current location is odd - it's the old Hummer dealer, faux Quonset hut style. Small showroom, but decent outdoor lot. The local big Germans and Lexus have palaces in comparison.

@ab348 said:
    In these parts there are no standalone Cadillac dealers. Probably should be, or Cadillac-Buick at least. The experience at the Chevy-Buick-Cadillac dealer where I bought my Regal is not great. But the volume here is small cheap cars and pickups. Not sure a Cadillac-Buick dealer would do enough business to survive here.

My Cadillac dealer is stand-alone. They briefly were Cadillac-Hummer.

Spotted a white Kia Optima at the Giant supermarket the other day.

the caddy dealer ordered 5 ELRs?! Oh man, that's really unfortunate and a bad bad decision. (if they had a choice in the matter, that is)

New legacy. Very nice. Solid improvement. Especially to the interior.

Subarus are really improved, except for the CVTs. Anyone driven one with a CVT? I like our '07 Forester, the new ones have solved (I think) the head gasket problems, no timing belt, but I'm not a CVT fan.

I drove one yesterday. Cvt was fine. Did not even notice it, which is a good thing! Car moved quick and smooth, and no droning. This was a 2015 legacy, and they did tweak the tranny with the redesign.

The head gasket issue was cured a few years back when they updated the engine design.

edited September 2014

Thanks, good to hear the CVT wasn't a droner, unlike some. I like the room (especially headroom) and visibility in our Forester, both of which look to be retained in the new one.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014

Honda CR-Z, think it was a 2013. Chatted up the owner and forgot to ask him what year.

He was a bit meh about the car and figures everyone else must be too, since the word is that they are going to be discontinued in the US after this year along with the Insight. He gets better in-town mpg than the EPA, up to 43, so he likes that part.

One problem is that it's black and he's quickly learned that you shouldn't get a black car in New Mexico. But in his case it wasn't the heat, but keeping it clean. He was cleaning off the car with his California Duster when I ran into him.

@texases said:
    Thanks, good to hear the CVT wasn't a droner, unlike some. I like the room (especially headroom) and visibility in our Forester, both of which look to be retained in the new one.

I sometimes have headroom issues (I barely fit in my TL, and head rubs) but the legacy even with moonroof had a ton of space. Very airy car.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686

@fintail said:
    Went car looking - no TLXs, and the layout of local Acura dealer who has about 3 parking spots didn't make me want to hang around. M4 - MSRP 83 or 86K, good luck (it'll sell). Lexus showroom was pretty bare, but an almost zero option IS250 seemed unusual. Used A7 was the most interesting thing on the Toyota lot - man the 4Runner has a homely face. Chatted up a friendly salesman at the less than crowded Caddy dealer, who had 5x ELR on the lot - first thing he said was "problem with those is that they are too expensive", good. New CTS is a really nice looking ride.

One Boston area CAddy dealer has almost cleared out his ELR inventory by knocking $20k off the MSRP. Of course, there's a $14k rebate, so $20k is a good start. Get it down to $50k, maybe a better seller?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I bet they got dumped here - some manager type thought "Bellevue, they have money, these'll be fine" - not realizing this place could be renamed "Teslaville".

I agree, if they want to sell 'em, 50K or so would be better.

@qbrozen said:
    the caddy dealer ordered 5 ELRs?! Oh man, that's really unfortunate and a bad bad decision. (if they had a choice in the matter, that is)