Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

13»

Comments

• jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    Very Nice! To bad my top off was 2K vice 3K. But no matter I took it and love my car. Take care.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking to speak with anyone who recently purchased a Chevy Volt or a Chevy Cruze. Please send a brief description of your shopping experience and your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, February 6, 2012

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I'm a GM Card-holder with about $1800 in earnings and I haven't heard anything about a top-off. I even checked my account online and there's no mention of it...wonder what's going on? (I live in upstate NY). :confuse:
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    it may help you get a future 'topoff' if you fill out your entire profile under the gmcard web site to indicate the vehicles which interest you .
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with anyone who bought a new car in the last two months. She’s especially interested in the economic and market factors (fuel prices, access to credit, pricing, etc.) that went into your decision. Please send a brief description of your experience and your preferred contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, March 7th, 2012.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to hear from a driver of a Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze or Chevy Sonic who previously drove a compact from a Japanese automaker, such as the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. If you currently drive a Focus, Fiesta, Cruze or Sonic, and are willing to share your story with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than the end of business Tuesday, March 6, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just returned from compairing these 2 cars.2012 chevy cruze LS with auto and conectivity package has msrp of $18,865.00 while the 2013 hyundai elantra i looked at after the cruze has msrp of $19,385.00...for only 500 more msrp iam getting with the elantra,better warranty,more space,more power,standard cruise control,4 wheel disks,ect..all these things were missing in the cruze.it's a no brainer...
    great points, great post, but wrong forum, steven39.
    apparently you are looking for the "didn't-buy-a-cruze/dont-buy-a-cruze" forum. Best wishes finding that one or maybe starting it as a new forum somewhere.

Enjoy your non-Cruze! (If it's possible to enjoy a car with an automatic transmission...)
  • garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    edited May 2012
    Well, it may be a no brainer or not....

The Cruze has been selling below MSRP so comparing solely on MSRP may not be the most accurate comparison... Currently the Cruze has a $1000 rebate, the Elantra has a 400/500 rebate if you are in the Military/Recent College Grad... Cheverolet also has its "GM Card reward" dollars which Hyundai does not offer...

For the sake of argument, let's ignore the GM bucks and the military/college grad rebates because not everyone is going to qualify for those...

Using Edmunds true price calculator, the Cruze would cost ~$17,400 ($18,400 less $1000 rebate), the Elantra would cost ~$19,000 for a 2012 model. The cost difference is now $1,600.... I have seen the Cruze advertised more aggressively than this, but we can let the Internet Managers fight over the final price difference here...

As far as fuel economy, I agree that the EPA rating is higher for the Elantra, but if you look at Fuelly . com it looks like both cars rate around 30 mpg in real world driving.

As far as power, once again, on paper the Hyundai outperforms the Cruze, but l did a quick search on 0-60 times and they both appear to be in the mid 9 second range, so let's consider the extra power as insignificant at this time... Test driving both cars will answer that argument at any rate...

So, for an extra $1600 dollars you get rear disc brakes, cruise control, and a longer warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Elantra. It is a good looking/performing car. But the Cruze is competitive performance wise, good looking, and has great value, plus it supports Americans a bit more than Hyundai by providing jobs and keeping the profits in the USA. Everyone is complaining about our trade deficit and the out-sourcing of our manufacturing to less expensive labor markets, well it is up to us to change that or we should all just quit griping...

I considered both and bought the Cruze ECO. One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is how athletic the handling is on the Cruze... It is a fun car to drive. I posted my purchase price back on Post #68.

At any rate, both cars are good cars. But for me it was a no brainer, I bought the Cruze and have not regretted it at all.
    A reporter is interested in talking to any car shoppers who are thinking about buying any one of the following small cars: Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic or Dodge Dart. Please send a brief description of your shopping experience and your preferred contact information to PR@edmunds.com by Monday, June 18th

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mabecanemabecane Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2012
    All cars with internal combustion engines have timing belts or chains, and like the name implies they keep all the engine components in sync, pistons ,valves etc. Once the belt skips a few links or space the timing is off or the belt breaks it will definitely make a mess of your engine. Mostly the valve rods will bend and push against the piston heads. Your motor will stop in a flash and strand you quick. Usually timing belts on small 4 cyl cars last around 100k to 180k then need to be replaced. So no need to worry about the timing belt on the Cruze. The Cruze is not a Yugo. :)
  • mabecanemabecane Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2012
    I saw the add on the dealer's website for
    MSRP: $20,120 with a sale price of $18,120

So it looked like GM was giving a $2000 rebate on the 2012 Eco.
    But I later saw that on the purchase order the MSRP was $19,120 so GM rebate was a $1000 rebate only.
    Now I got rid of the VIN etching -$180.

Registration + $180

Tried to chew the Document fee from $ 500 to $100 ( they would not budge on this one)

Anyway They would not let me out the door for less than a round $20,000 (including State taxes)
    I said Forgetaboutit! then hang up.( I did this all this transaction over the phone btw)

They called me back late evening and told me I could get it for $19,500 out the door.
    This was actually $250 less than I was willing to pay so I agreed.

I also had $700 GM card rewards dollars.
    so I got it out the door for $18,700 (taxes and fees included)

PS: The VIN etching was already on the car ,so it came for free.
  • roncruzeroncruze Member Posts: 1
    I'm retired and needed a car to get around San Francisco. My last 3 cars were dependable Honda's and solid high end Acura's. I loved my stick shift Acura. I had prepared myself for sub-compact tin can transit options. My limit was $17,000. But Alas, I realized that I had been renting at least monthly with Hertz for the last 25 years. Not one time did I have a problem, Hertz caters to affluent renters and expense account businessmen. I could only expect a well cared for car. So I decided to buy a used Cruze LTZ 2012 with 28,000 mile on it. It rides like a new car. has leather interior, a decent stereo, and all the other over the top accoutrements fully unexpected in this car class. I believe I got an awesome deal as I paid 14,900, I should have paid nearly $20K. I miss the sunroof and upgraded stereo but I'm researching at least an AMP upgrade for the anemic stereo. Used inventory of Cruze's seem to be limited to retired stock from auto rental companies, try the Hertz three day trial as I did, take it to your mechanic and I'm sure you will come away with a steal.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying your Cruze, roncruze! Many more happy miles to you in the new year!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    It is a matter of value and principle.

Well if this is truly the case, then how did car companies make billions of dollars for DECADES before they discovered they can now charge administration fees and get away with it??

Fact is...in the world of computers now, there is actually less investment for administration duties/costs than there was in 1975..as an example.

I think we as consumers should stand together and simply QUIT buying any new vehicle until the stealers LOSE this prickly $ gouge. To work though it takes a unified and committed effort on our part.

I'd say you guys (the dealers, that is) are in great shape now cuz it is like a government imposing a tax that the consumer reluctantly gets used to even if it chokes all the way down...you never give it back.

Destination fees are another. If they were consistent and made sense, then a slight case possibly could be made for them to be added later rather than factoring them in to MSRP at the dealer from which you purchase, but often there are glaring inconsistencies...so to us is read as yet just another gouge.

But the admin fees....THOSE ONES GOTTA GO DINOSAUR..
    edited January 2013
    previously someone had mentioned/theorized that one could swap an LTZ/whatever steering wheel onto an LS to provide CRUISE-CONTROL with no other mods required. anyone tried this or got any more info on it?

Did you ever find the answer to this? Seems optimistic to me but ya never know..in many other circs the wiring harnesses are already there (as in A/C) but just as in A/C the components aren't.
    edited January 2013
    And since you posted this, we also now know how overly optimistic the Elantra's FE was..

I don't know the torque off hand on the Elantra, but if the LS has the turbo, then even if technically the Elantra had a few pounds more, it still wouldn't compare to the Cruze because with the turbo, the torque is there in very low revs which is far more useable in the real world.

I'd like to read about an update on your car now that you have had it awhile?
    Howdy

I have had my car for over a year now and I am still loving it. No regrets at all about purchasing it. I am averaging 33-34 MPG (on a very hilly commute), but my best tank so far was 46 mpg (on a return trip from Lake Tahoe), that entire Tahoe trip (driving up, around, and back) was 40 mpg.

The car is very solid, quiet, and handles very smartly for what it is. It looks nice (to me at least) and has had no issues thus far (I have almost 20K miles on it now). The bluetooth voice recognition works very well (way better than my Mazdaspeed 3) and I love my XM satellite radio.

Gripes... only a few

the 1.4l has a tough time on grades. I generally have to shift down to 4th to have some spare "passing" power in case I need to get around a slower car.

The rear seat belts are very difficult for my kids to engage. The female ends are tucked into the seat cushion and there is no fabric strap/cord that allows you to draw them out for easier coupling of the belts.

The car is comfortable for 4, not so much for 5 people.

That is it.... I am very happy with my car. Heck even my step-daughter (who is 13) has already asked if she can have it when I am done with it...LOL... not the car I would have expected her to draw a fancy towards, but I thought it was sweet that she asked.

Yeah, Hyundai has a bit of esplainin to do....I had often noticed that the car rags always got fuel economy way below the city EPA city ratings. The car magazines generally get around the city MPG when testing their cars, but I had noted that Hyundai was consistently below that. I had thought about firing off a letter to the editor noting that point, now I don't need to....
    Hey, thanks for this interesting update! Glad to hear you are enjoying your Cruze. Sounds like you are getting impressive real world mileage too.

Your comment surprised me about the little turbo on the hills, but then the Cruze is not a lightweight. Still that engine has over 140 ft lb of torque at nice low useable revs so while might not be in a V6's league, or even NA 2.4 inline 4's but is still pretty capable. I think it is a terrific engine/tran combo and personally would not choose the 1.8 NA (non turbo).

Seems others too have mostly had good luck with their Cruzes. Sure does make one wonder how so many brands under the same GM badge can be so different. Just comparing a Cruze thread to their 2010 Equinox problems thread is just such an example..absolutely night and day experiences..
    I will have to pop over and read the Equinox thread... The 1.4L has great mid range torque...no question there... I have to remind myself at times that this little engine is trying to motivate a 3000lb car plus all of its passengers...LOL...

With the real tall 6th gear, you simply have to drop a gear or two when you hit a long steep grade. There have been times I have had the cruise control set at 60 and the car had dropped into the lower 50 mph before I figured out that the car needed a little downshift assistance... :sick: The car's RPMs are only around 1800 at 60 mph, so a downshift or two puts it right into the sweet spot for acceleration...
  • shale_gas_manshale_gas_man Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new Cruze last week, got a "steal" as far as I'm concerned. Car was stickered at 19,100 dealer knocked off 500, another 2000 in GM rebates (car show, GM loyalty money), then I used my GM card with another 2000 (topped off earnings) on it, plus I got 1400 in trade for my 11 year old Impala with >148,000 on it. Total before taxes and title $13,200. :) You can't buy a decent used car for that now a days. Plus it's an LS without cruise control, got the dealer to throw that in. Happy with car so far, used for commuting about 60 miles a day nearly all highway. Miss the Impala but wanted to get rid of it prior to any major problems. Trusting Chevy again after swearing them off. The Impala cost me over $2500 between 45,000-51,000 miles with just stupid / quality control problems. Hopefully GM has really stepped it up a notch. I'll be comparing this car's quality to Toyota products we've had.
    Congratulations, shale_gas_man! Wishing you many happy miles in your new Cruze!
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Had a '12 Equinox yesterday and the cruise worked very strangely and wouldn't activate immediately...was very unsafe actually and put me off this car!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Sarah, had a '12 Equinox yesterday across Florida from Miami to Tampa and the cruise didn't work properly...it didn't engage with the push of a button like all the other cars including my own...why is that? Also, the 3 Cruze's that I've driven just have been extremely noisy while accelerating, and one was a brand new LTZ RS unit. Maybe I'm just not getting the right one but my '06 Civic is such a better car in every way. I'm hopping the Verano , once i do get to drive one, will be a better vehicle. I really want to like GM products but so far am very underwhelmed!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

sandman_6472,

Per the 2012 Equinox manual, there should be a "Cancel" cruise control button on the wheel that disengages the cruise control without erasing it. I'm sorry if this wasn't operational on the vehicle you were driving.

Please let us know if there is anything you would like for us to check into for you in regards to new vehicles on our lineup. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com.

It was the engaging that was the issue! No where on the dash did it show that the cruise was even on, no light, no nothing...even my lowly Civic has a light on to show me the cruise is on. After hitting the button, it did not engage until after repeated pushes down on the set toggle switch which led to the vehicle slowing down, a very unsafe thing on a heavy traffic freeway! Was totally unsafe, dangerous and scary and pissed me off that y'all couldn't get this simple thing right. It made a very nice vehicle a terrible one in my eyes! The Malibu's and Cruze's I've driven haven't done this which is why I am really p o'd about this issue!

The Sandman :( :mad: :confuse:

edited February 2013
    S-man, i've owned and enjoyed 4 civics and driven the 2006 hybrid models and find the 011 cruze far superior.
    I understand the 1.4L model specifically omits engine-quieting weight to improve mpg, compared to the 1.8 model.
    on the 1.8L Cruze, i've how quiet/smooth the engine is - reminds me of my civic fleet which included base model 4-speed manual as well as LX & EX automatics.
    The EX model is my favorite civic, no doubt about that.

I had my Cruze before most people had heard of the model, and for the first year would tell people that it was "Chevy Civic" before explaining how it was better than a civic. :shades:

another aspect Cruze shares with my 4 civics is zero defects, zero issues.
    there were zero Cruze issues causing dealer-visits in 1.5 years and 40k miles.
    (Unless you count one recall/inspection, and my heel wearing a huge hole through the drivers floor mat. I probably coulda got a new mat under warranty but i'm going to find an improved aftermarket mat, perhaps that there weatherbeater type from the 46 page advertisements in all the automags.)
    After hitting the button, it did not engage until after repeated pushes down on the set toggle switch which led to the vehicle slowing down, a very unsafe thing on a heavy traffic freeway!

Not having an indicator light would be a nuisance, and also having to stab it more than once would also be irritating. But on the other hand, cruise really shouldn't be used in heavy traffic, and especially in poor wx.
    the fact that one can have the factory cruise-control added to the base cruze, is very cool.. . i had heard it was possible just by swapping the steering wheel with one from the "LT" or "LTZ" model.

as for the cost of the new cruze, one can't really include the trade-in value of the other vehicle, GM-card discounts, etc.

but if that's the way we are going measure price, then chalk up my 2011 Cruze price as a mere $3000. ($10k was the trade-in value on my 2006 Jetta TDI with 120k miles).
    Glad you like your Cruze but to me, it's sub par to what the market has to offer. The new Sentra rides like an Altima, it's that good and the Elantra, well it's rally the benchmark of this segment. Am hoping to like the Verano more once I do get to drive one on an extended road trip. As of now, the Cruze will not be on our short list...would rather purchase any used car instead!

Did you recently purchase a car from the Detroit 3 (GM, Ford or Chrysler) after avoiding these domestic vehicles in the past? What made you change your mind? A reporter would like to ask about your experience. If you can help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Friday April 26th 2013.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• melusa1melusa1 Member Posts: 7
    Gabe Taveras is a great sales person, we started on a Mazda 3 which my son really didn't like and the numbers did not work on, we went to look at a Hyundai Elantra which my son did like but Amir from Brandon Hyundai lied to us and misrepresented the numbers on the phone and in email in an effort to come to the dealership which we did and they couldn't back up what they told me on the phone, Gabe had called us again while we were at Hyundai, I sent my wife and son back to Gabe. He demonstrated and test drove the Cruze with them while I was lied to by Amir from Brandon Hyundai. I came back to Ferman and Gabe re test drove the car with me and my son and the numbers were right and the deal was done. Gabe is 5 star, Greg the manager was a pleasure to work with and Jeff the finance manager was a pleasure as well. This my 6th car from the Ferman family in our 9 years in Florida so that should tell you something right there. Gabe, Greg, & Jeff are professionals and a huge asset to the Ferman family.
    A reporter would like to speak with a Baby Boomer who recently (within the last year) purchased a compact or subcompact car. If you can assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your preferred contact information by July 17, 2013
    A reporter would like to speak to a young buyer of a Ford Focus or a Chevy Cruze. If you are under the age of 34, and you are shopping for or recently purchased a Ford Focus or a Chevy Cruze, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET on Thursday, 10/10/13.
  • spahutspahut Member Posts: 12

Negotiation on 2014 Cruz 2LT --- MSRP $26,100 with all options. Offered $24,100 before $2,000 rebate and $1300 GM card. Waiting to hear back from dealership. Do people think I am in the ballpark?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410

Do you guys know what rebates work with the 0% Financing?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Working at Hertz HLE these last 7 months and drive a lot of Cruze's and Malibu's and truthfully, the Malibu is the more popular vehicle. The Cruze just isn't the best vehicle, the Verano is so much better. To be honest, the best Chevy out there is one that Americans can only buy on the used car lots and that is the Captiva, very big in fleet sales and made in Canada. Guess Chevy figured Americans didn't need it since the Equinox is just a bit bigger and has a third row for passengers. Trust me, the Captiva is a great vehicle and I would own one right now if we could get them new. I ended up with a Hyundai Tuscon and am very pleased with it.
    My gig at Hertz gives me the opportunity to drive most different kinds of vehicles, and trust me here, folks have a general preference for vehicles and will swap out of one's they really dislike in a heart beat. Most folks fail to realize that when they put in a reservation for a particular class of car, they don't always get the car pictured on their computer. The rental business is a very interesting one and we get vehicles dropped off from every state it seems. I am enjoying this job so much because every day is different and every vehicle I drive is different.

The Sandman :)B)

• spahutspahut Member Posts: 12

@spahut said:
    Negotiation on 2014 Cruz 2LT --- MSRP $26,100 with all options. Offered $24,100 before $2,000 rebate and $1300 GM card. Waiting to hear back from dealership. Do people think I am in the ballpark?

I ended up getting a 2014 Cruz 2LT after $3000 rebates and $1000 GM card for $20,000 out the door. My son (newly licensed) will be mostly using this so I think the type of car is perfect as I don't need a high end car but something reliable and getting brand new for $20k works.