Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• atla4atla4 Member Posts: 3
    What is "dealer cash"? Is that a credit from Honda factory to buyer? Is it available to cash buyers and you just ask the dealer for the "dealer cash" amount to be taken off the vehicle price after all negotiations have been completed?

Thanks
  • sjytansjytan Member Posts: 4

Hi @brian125‌, thx for the reply, but I still not very sure with your advise.
    You said the target price is $1.5-2k below the invoice price.
    If I refer to the quote I got from dealer:

MSRP $26,050.00
    Sales Price $22,913.44
    Accessories $412.00 Total Sale Price $23,325.44
    Tax (6.25%) $1,457.84
    VIT $59.90
    Title & License Fees $275.00 Total Drive Out $25,118.18 (includes destination charge $830.00, and also includes window tint$312.00, and nitrogen filled tires $99.00).

Then what should be my target price that I should pay?
    Right now the OTD price is about $1k lower than MSRP, is this a good deal?
    The dealer also tried to convince me to close the deal but I believe I still can get better deal than that, don't you think so?

Btw, I'm in houston, if anyone has experience of buying CRV in Houston recently, please advise. And any recommended dealership? Many thanks!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

@atla4 said:
    What is "dealer cash"? Is that a credit from Honda factory to buyer? Is it available to cash buyers and you just ask the dealer for the "dealer cash" amount to be taken off the vehicle price after all negotiations have been completed?

Thanks

Dealer cash is extra bonus money that Honda pays the dealer when they sell that unit. You should factor that amount into your negotiations, knowing that the dealer has that much more room to play with.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stayghoststayghost Member Posts: 30

Have initial offers from 8 out of 20 dealers. Can you believe 12 haven't responded yet?
    Getting on the phones now. IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

• elliefrelliefr Member Posts: 16

It seems like they all woke up at 10:00. Getting phone calls and emails. I am at $22,500 out the door right now. With Brian's suggestion of $1,500 to $2,000 off dealer invoice, my math with all the taxes, title and licenses puts me at $21,456.19 to $21,986.19. I am going to wait out the day and see how things go as I am hearing from more dealers. We'll see how the day progresses...perhaps I can get a couple of accessories I would like thrown in.

I have two dealerships, both about 45 to 60 minutes away who don't have my color. One said they could get it for me but there would be a $100 transfer fee. I let him know the other one also didn't have my color but offered to drive it to me for free on Tuesday when it came in.

• carey12carey12 Member Posts: 8

I think the deals in So. Cal were better a month ago :-(

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2014

@tsc4 said:
    Please help. I want to purchase a 2014 CRV EX AWD in NC this weekend (I see the model available in inventory on several local websites). I understand the concept of offering invoice price minus 1500-2000 (24,853+830 destination-2000 below invoice discount=23,683). What I dont understand is, how to figure out what other incentives exist at any given time. I also don't know how to predict what fees are going to be required when the deal is finalized (I imagine this is part of the game dealer's play). Assuming I can calculate what the NC tax will be (giving me the final out the door price), how do I know what a good pre-tax out the door price is? Thanks in advance!

Unless dealers have a lot of your model CRV on there lots getting 2k below in NC will be a task.
    What do you mean by a pre-tax otd price ?

pre- tax numbers are vehicle selling price, plus any added accessories / items in vehicle. That total price gets taxed by your states sales tax rate along with dealers doc fee/ admin charge. that should round out your OTD price. Some states have a small tire disposal fee or a internet fee. Your DMV charges that accrue for this vehicle will not be included to be taxed by the state. These charges are separate line items on the bill of sale after total purchase price is calculated.

On doc fee's :

I live in a state with sales tax. Is a doc fee taxable?
    It depends. California, Illinois and Arkansas specify their caps as taxable; Iowa says doc fees are not taxable. Each state has its own laws.

Hope I explain your question

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited August 2014

sjytan

You need to tell me what model this is? 2wd or Awd. This info needs to be in each post every time you post. I remember you asking about the ex model but not sure. If it is???? I gave you both invoice prices. Subtract your target price from the invoice and negotiate. dealers with vehicles that have all that crap added to them walk away. Buy what you want unless you cant find your model. or negotiate down added options to as close to there dealers invoice as possible

From what you are posting above you have a 99 dollar item that must be thrown into the deal or removed off bill. Window tint can be negotiated down another 100 dollars or more.

Your target selling price for the vehicle is 1500 to 2k below . Work on getting a price somewhere in between or at this target price then negotiate accessories down some. Or find another dealer with your model without dealer gouging you for all those pricey items.

Got to take care of business myself today. I have a 4pm car buying tee off .

See you guys later.. Good luck with negotiations.

• tsc4tsc4 Member Posts: 5

Thanks Brian. Yes, that information helps. Before I pull the trigger on my emails tonight, I just wanted to clarify that my math is right. I am planning to offer invoice price (plus destination fee) minus 1500 (since 2000 is possibly too steep in NC) plus accessory price plus tax (on whatever gets taxed) Nothing else, right? Any doc fees, dealer fee, advertising fee should be part of above price, correct? THANKS!!

@brian125‌

I am in FL and looking for the 2014 Honda CRV LX.

Had a guy tell me on the phone he could do it for $22,500 out the door and all the other dealers told me there was no way. They were right. When I got him to send me the itemized list via email, it was actually $23,000.

Getting a little dejected but I know you will say to wait until Sunday. Here are some prices I have so far. I know the nitrogen tires and stuff are bogus. The cargo tray and cover would be nice but I can get those elsewhere.

$19,794
    $100 transfer fee to bring in the color I want (I'm telling them to remove that)
    $629 for wheel locks, a cargo tray in the back, door edge guards, nitrogen filled tires, and cargo cover.
    $228 (estimated tag and registration transfer fee..I've asked for exact)
    $1,335 Sales Tax
    $22,786 Out the door

$19,849
    $699 doc/dealer fee
    ? Taxes, tag ,etc
    $22,913.33 Out the door
    Includes a package that includes including the nitrogen tires, wheel locks, etc and the trunk tray but not the cover.
    (This guy just told me he thinks they met their quota and the price may not be available. He is checking.)

$20,777.15 Price
    $598.50 Dealer Fee
    $123.95 Doc Fee
    $140 Tag Transfer
    $8.50 FL Tire & Batt Disposal
    $1,301.88 Sales Tax
    $23,000 Out the door

I have another guy who claims his dealership doesn't charge a dealer fee but of course the prices are higher...$21,987. He quoted me a price of $23,400 out the door but when I ran the math, it will probably be higher. I'm double-checking with him.

Thanks.

@brian125 For your reference, this is what you had suggested:

Your target price to buy in FL. should range from 1500 to 2000 below dealers invoice price. if you could get a higher price than 2k you have done very well.

Your States doc fee's are high at 699, to get a price of 2k below dealers invoice price you need a asking price of 2699 off the invoice price of your model. The LX fwd model with destination charge include is.......................... 22,548

any accessories added to your vehicle you want at dealers invoice or close to that number.

@cheap‌ Honda parts or @collegehills Honda . Use these prices as your guide to getting the dealers to match accessorie prices.

The guy who met his quota said they used up their dealer cash so the price is now $500 more.

@brian125‌ , thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm planning to get 2014 CRV EX FWD. The invoice you gave me is $24513 (include dest charge) + tax 6.25% ($1532) + VIT $59 + title & license $275, then the drive out price without anything added will be $26379.
    following your guide, the target price should be $24379-24879.
    Is this what you meant? Many thanks!

edited August 2014

Invoice w/ dest charge=24,513 minus target price of 1500 to 2000 then add your OTD pricing onto that number..

@ellisfr-................... tomorrow if your price is not met lower it down a few dollars for the sale.

Thanks. We will see how things go on Sunday.

By the way, for those of you who have followed these methods...emailing and/or phoning several dealers, one reason you might not have heard back from some is because your phone mailbox is full. :-) Just discovered that and as I deleted messages, the new ones from yesterday and today arrived. FYI.

• vichervicher Member Posts: 1

@brian125...kudos, I got the deal I wanted. Great info and feedback to save me and countless others on this forum some serious money. Thank you so much!

@sjytan...I pulled the trigger on same car you want in the DFW market. Got it for $24.5k OTD...all from the comfort of my recliner. Most of the dealers in the area have approx 45 2014 CRVs on the lot and with 2015s coming in the door n the next few weeks, these guys just gotta move inventory. Good luck!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

Congrats @vicher!

I was wondering if everyone was having more fun negotiating instead of actually pulling the trigger on a deal. :)

@brian125 thanks for the advise, I understand it now. The dealer still does not want to lower the price so I am still waiting to see any better offer.

@vicher‌ could you please share your detail/itemized OTD quote? I wanna ask the dealerships around here if they can "match" it. Many thanks.

• iatrogenicxiatrogenicx Member Posts: 6

Sjytan,

I'm in Houston metro area. Not sure what trim level you got but I got 2014 LX base model for OTD about $23200 ($500 of it is GAP which I generally don't buy so could've been $22700). On all cars they put tint, nitrogen air in tires,etc. BS just to keep you from your target price. Nitrogen in tires for lifetime is what they tried to sell me for value. No thanks. I don't want my front windshield and side windows tinted as dark as back so no thanks. but this is how the car comes so I will take it but not pay a premium. They will tell you they will offer you extras like floor mats, full tank gas etc that is included in new car purchase anyway. I invested about 2-3 hours reading up on here and other websites, used Brian's advice (Thanks!), and sent 1 set of emails and half-assed f/u emails as I'm tired from work. This website is great as this is the second time I used it to buy a new car to make a new car buying experience as painless as it can get. Get multiple emails out, make them price match the low offers, get an "OTD price", target a dealership and be prepared to walk. My first new vehicle I purchased 3 years I ago I walked and they called back and gave me lower price, but time is a luxury we don't always have. I'm sure I could have gotten similar deals elsewhere in Houston but you really need to get offers from the Houston Hondas and the one ones nearby like Galveston, etc. within 1-2 hours driving distance. I stayed off the phone and just did emails until I knew which dealership I wanted to go with then used the phone. Even after getting a promise of no haggling...I had to haggle. Almost walked out, but they got me and sold me GAP insurance.

• iatrogenicxiatrogenicx Member Posts: 6

New 2014 LX $23200 OTD in Houston metro. They tried to make me pay top dollar for window tints and nitrogen air in my tire Fo' Life!

• stayghoststayghost Member Posts: 30

Hey guys bought a car today but wanted to share some of my experience to help people in the future. Was looking in MASSCHUSETTS for a CRV-EXL

• FOLLOW-UP: Emailed 15 Dealers, got response from 4. Had to call and pry to get the rest. Do your follow-up.Some had my email in spam filter, some use a different email and some just hadn't responded yet and gave me a quote by phone.
    • MAKE THEM AWARE OF THEIR COMPETITION: After collecting and pushing all quotes, best initial deal was $1950 below invoice ($26,200). During the process when they would give me quotes I would tell them what my current lowest was ( sandbagged a couple hundred less) and ask if they can make it worth while for me to travel by beating it. Some took a swing, some said they couldn't, a few old school small town dealerships got almost "angry" lol.
    • PUSH MORE: Mid afternoon I told everyone that I was going to buy in a bit, and told them where they stood in comparison to the best quote so far. This had them making better and better deals and coming back. I gave them my very low number and said this gets it done right now ... they can't hit it, so I say how close can you get so I come down and buy within the hour? A few dealerships responded. One near me said they were trying to make a month number and doing deals at steep discounts so would beat my best deal by $200 dollars and throw in a years service. Deal now is $26000. Sent out an email telling everyone I'm leaving my house to do this deal for $26000 and if they can make it worth my while to detour and travel let me know within the hour before I sign and I'm taken off the market. Got an email response ... $25,875 incl dest if I get it done today by 6. This place was a haul though. So I call back the closer place trying to hit a number and tell them the deal I was just offered. They tell me they will beat that deal by $100 and give the service if I go to them. So I contact another dealership which is the closest to me and tell them that "so and so down the street is giving me $25,750 and service"... they agree to match.
    • NOT DONE YET: At this point I keep saying what can you give me to take my business away from them etc? and they are throwing in goodies and freebies. At the end of the day I had multiple dealership options willing to sell to me for $25,750 ($2,415 under invoice) for the Honda EXL AWD Automatic.
    • MOST WILLING TO DEAL: These were my findings, but I;m sure it changes month to month depending where they are vs. bonus and goals: Kelly Honda, Bernardi Honda (Natick), Herb Chambers (Westborough), Honda Cars of Boston, Boch Honda
  • mdunne70mdunne70 Member Posts: 23

stayghost - CONGRATULATIONS! great job on a great deal.

Great post @wbad and congrats! I had my doubts about Nissan dealing - you found just the right dealer.

• wbadwbad Member Posts: 20

Thanks @stever. All the stereotypes about new car dealerships have been shattered when buying from them. It was a no BS way of buying.

I'll post again in the Rogue thread for future Nissan buyers. Those here that are set on a CRV like we were...before you pull the trigger, take a new 2014 Rogue(new body style, not Select) for a spin. You might be surprised!

edited September 2014

In addition to consumer car reviews, we also have Dealer Reviews.

Feel free to knock yourself out. Love to see a pic too.

Well, I caved a little bit because I wanted to get it done but I came pretty close to what I had hoped to spend. I could have done a little better but tonight I have my new 2014 twilight blue Honda CRV LX sitting in my driveway, freshly washed from the thunderstorm that blew threw after I got home!

• Vehicle Price $20,641.39
    • Bogus fees I paid: $529.50 (predelivery service charge, electronic registration filing fee, lead acid battery fee, new tire fee ($1.00 per tire))
    • Lemon Law Warranty Enforcement Act $2.00 (Bogus fee?)
    • Title, Registration and License: $156.85
    • Tax: $1270.26
    • Total Out the door: $22,600.

One problem I kept hearing is that a dealer could match if I had a buyer's order but no one would send me a buyer's order because they knew the next dealer would match.

Long post but thought I would share.

My best offer was about $22,900 OTD out of Honda of Ocala, about two hours away. I decided to hit the road and head up there yesterday but stop at Honda of Clearwater on the way to see if they wanted to make a deal. (Clearwater is local for me.) While at Honda of Clearwater on the test drive, Love Honda of Homosassa finally returned my call from earlier that morning. I let it go to voicemail. Called them back from the restroom at the Clearwater dealership. :-) They told me the same price as Ocala. I told them that and that I was waiting to hear what Clearwater was going to offer me. She said she would get back to me. While waiting patiently for the Clearwater guy to finish his long sales pitch about their customer service, Love Honda texts me $22,600.

Clearwater finally gets around to the numbers and offers $23,999. I had so many offers so far below that I couldn't believe it. So I told them what Homosassa was offering. He said he was willing to work with me but couldn't go that low but would get his manager. He and his manager both told me that Love Honda was going to add fees when I arrived up there. (It was about a 90 minute trip.) They told me to call them and ask for that infamous buyer's order. They said Love Honda wouldn't send it because they couldn't really give me that price. So I called Love Honda right there, in front of these two guys. At the time Love Honda didn't think they had my color on the lot but could get it for me. The Clearwater guys said Love Honda would charge me a transportation fee. So the Love Honda manager came on the phone and I told him what I'm hearing. He said he promised me there would be no transportation fee, there would be no additional fees. It would be $22,600. He said he wasn't sending a buyer's order because he knew they would price match. I said fine.

Clearwater said they couldn't match Love Honda. And just as shocked as I was about their silly offer, I think they were shocked they were watching me walk out the door. I hung out in my car in the parking lot for a few minutes, calling back Love Honda and Honda of Ocala to see if they could match and they could not. The Clearwater guys never chased me down.

As it turned out Love Honda found they did have my color on the lot, moved it to a different area and put a sold sign on it because it was mine. But they closed at 4:00 and I wouldn't make it. I drove up this morning.

When I got home last night, the Clearwater guy sent me an email. He says if I bring him a copy of the buyers order (which I would not get until I drove to Homosassa), he could match plus throw in an extra detail, tank of gas and a cargo cover tray. He reminds me about the good customer service there in Clearwater.

I would rather not drive to Homosassa but I felt like I had made a commitment to them and I also felt like the Clearwater guy had his opportunity when I was right in front of him. He could have asked to see my text message to confirm the offer or call Love Honda himself.

This morning I headed up to Homosassa and along the way, I got an email and some texts from Clearwater about the price matching and customer service. He was ready to price match without the buyers order. But I was headed to Homosassa. When I got there, it was exactly what they said.

While filling out the financial paperwork, Crown Honda of Pinellas Park called me to check in. The best they had given me was $23,298.53 but they didn't have my color. She was surprised I got the price I wanted.

When I was headed back and checked my email which I hadn't seen all day, Port Charlotte Honda had sent me a note this morning that they would price match Love Honda and drop another $500. (They had offered me $22,500 via text the other day but when I asked for the itemized list of prices via email, it came in at $23,000.) As I arrived back in town tonight, Port Charlotte followed up by phone and I let them know I was talking to them via bluetooth on my new CRV. :-)

I realize Love Honda had me once I was there. I had a friend go with me as I was hoping to trade in my car but I ended up selling it to CarMax on the way back. If I had been by myself, I might have headed back to Clearwater or even Port Charlotte to avoid some of those bogus fees. But with a friend being nice enough to spend her day off going with me on this journey, I decided to just accept it. I could have called this morning before I left and asked for an itemization. I probably could have pitched a lower number to them yesterday from Clearwater and gotten it. But in the end, I'm not far off from what I hoped to spend and probably would not have been this close at all if I had not found this forum and Brian's notes. I will strive to be a better negotiator the next time, in about 10 or 15 years. :-)

One more note about deciding to trust Love Honda and driving the 90 miles up there. I went with my gut feeling. A week ago, a guy at Wilde Honda of Sarasota had sent me a text offering $22,500. I asked him to send me the itemized list in email. A little while later he told me he was having problems with my email address and asked me to call him. I sent him a text suggesting a different email address. Didn't hear from him again until after the weekend asking if I had bought a car yet. This weekend while talking to someone else at Sarasota, they tell me the best they could do was $22,900. As they tell me this I recall the text and tell them I had one of their guys offer $22,500 the previous weekend. They couldn't do it. Sarasota is only 45 minutes away and I could have had lunch at a favorite restaurant down there. But I just didn't trust them to take the drive down there. And Hendrick Honda of Bradenton, which is between me and Sarasota, wanted to charge me a $100 fee on Saturday to transport my desired color to their lot and then on Sunday told me they couldn't get my color because I had not put a deposit down on Saturday. They were at $22,700 but I didn't trust them either. And I told them I wasn't paying the $100 transportation fee.

Thanks again to Brian and Steve for all the great advice here.

Congrats to everyone on your purchases and enjoy getting used to your new car.

@elliefr said:
    I will strive to be a better negotiator the next time, in about 10 or 15 years. :-)

It's hard to match wits with people who sell cars everyday. You done good. Nice color too!

• macgandalfmacgandalf Member Posts: 25

Hi,
    Does anyone know what is the difference in terms of equipment (?accessories) for the CRV-EXL with navigation with MSRP 30025 and 30200 is/are? Thanx.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

@macgandalf said:
    Hi,
    Does anyone know what is the difference in terms of equipment (?accessories) for the CRV-EXL with navigation with MSRP 30025 and 30200 is/are? Thanx.

It's most likely a mid-year price increase... with one model being produced before the increase and one after.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@stever Thanks. I just like that the storytelling on this car will be that I got my deal with Homosassa Honda in the bathroom of the Clearwater Honda dealership. :-)

I still can't believe the shocked look on the Clearwater guys faces as I left their showroom. I guess they really thought they could sell me a car for $23,999 or close to that.

This morning while getting my paperwork together I was reminded my credit union had this offer that if you buy a car right now, they give you $200. So I actually bought my car for $22,400. Now that's a deal! :-)

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    edited September 2014

I closed the deal on Sunday afternoon (8/31/14) at Cambridge Honda. It is a CR-V EX-L AWD with Navigation, no accessories added. It is $27,588 (includes destination charge) + $349 doc. fee + 6.25% sale tax + $135 plate.

The dealership don't have Polished Metal (or Titanium - my second choice) so they have to locate it from other dealership. They told there is no Titanium for EX-L AWD with Nav in New England.

We agreed on the price via email. Some dealerships didn't even reply to my emails and some offered $27.7K to $28K. I took the $500 dealer cash (with 1.99% APR for up to 36 months) for finance with Honda. So that is $2000 under invoice plus $500. However, they only gave me $3000 on my '06 VW Jetta (83K miles). I believe the KKB trade-in value is $4000+

Anyway, I am happy with my research here (Brain and everyone) and my new car!

Great @lok888 - let us know when you actually take possession.

edited September 2014

BTW stever, it has Navigation. I just edited my post. Car should be here within a day or two. I decided to buy the Honda OEM mud guards, all-weather mats and cargo tray online for about $200. That's probably saves me $100+ if buy from dealer.

edited September 2014

Wonder how far away it has to come. I hear through the grapevine that there's some excess inventory at Clearwater. B)

That's probably the dealers' tactic or it could be the limited inventory. This dealer only has black, red and blue for EX-L AWD with Nav in the lot. They do have my color for EX-L AWD but without the navigation on.

• newride8newride8 Member Posts: 3

in DC metro area, was offered CR-V LX AWD for $2,200 below invoice. Dealership claimed that even though I have excellent credit, I wasn't going to be given the 0.9% APR promotional rate because they were selling the car at a good price. Is that standard practice among dealerships?

Hm, I think I'd tell the dealer you either qualify or you don't. Or call Honda and tell them what the dealer told you. Doesn't sound "standard" to me, sounds more like it's just a case of the dealer trying to make some extra profit.

During his pitches for the extended warranty and maintenance packages, which I refused multiple times, the finance guy offered things, like raising the cap on the amount of down payment I could make via credit card or dropping the 2.99% rate to 1.99%, if I would buy the extended warranty and maintenance packages. Made me feel as though the guy is allowed to manipulate the rate/terms however he wants.
    I went ahead and bought the car there because my wife had been nagging me about getting it done so she wouldn't have to drive my old car. Even though I got it at a "good" to "great" price, I regret not walking out when they took the 0.9% off the table.

edited September 2014

Well, you could ding them on the survey but that'll most likely just hurt the salesperson.

You could write up a Dealer Review - that'll get the word out even better than posting in the forums.

You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. Enjoy the new ride!

Thanks, Stever. For anyone in northern VA, AutoNation and Pohanka of Fredericksburg gave the lowest offers ($2200 below invoice). Koons held at $1840 below invoice. Pohanka of Chantilly held at $1600 below invoice.

• carey12carey12 Member Posts: 8

Same story here in So. Cal. No 1.9% rate even with 800+ ficos...unless we took their worthless ripoff KARR flashing blue light security system for almost $600! Now we have a disabled aftermarket alarm system under our dash!

• kdoankdoan Member Posts: 2

Hi all, thanks for the great info on all the dealerships tips and helpful guidance. I have a question, I wanted to make sure I get a good deal on the CRV-EL-with Entertainment AWD. I got an offer for 28,470.56 OTD price. Is that a good price to go with? I am also trying to check with other dealerships for this price match if they are closer.

Thanks in advance!

edited September 2014

kdoan

2k below dealers invoice is a good price on your model. Your target price to buy should range from low end 1500 below to the 2k mark.

Pardon the diversion:

A reporter is looking for shoppers who recently traded in a midsize sedan for an SUV because they think gas prices aren’t a big deal anymore or they were just blown away by the fuel-efficient crossover offerings now available. If you think you can help, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, September 10, 2014.

• kdoankdoan Member Posts: 2

Brian125: Thank you. I think I will forgo Honda and seek Toyota instead. I just don't like their speed shifting gear location. I hate it so much that I rather go for something else rather.

edited September 2014

Forester, Rogue and Santa Fe may be good alternatives.

• chicagobuyer5chicagobuyer5 Member Posts: 5

First post here. Looking to buy 2014 Honda CRV EX-AWD or 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i premium w/all weather pkg in Chicago area. Started pricing online using through AARP TrueCar & received several responses. Best price I received for the Honda is $24, 058 (includes destination) + 166 doc + tax + registr. fees. The internet rep said the car is on its way to them & will hold it for me w/o a deposit at this price. However after reading previous posts it looks like I could do better. If invoice for this car is $25519, the price I'm quoted is $1461 below.
    The best price I recd for the 2015 Subaru is $24,905
    I like both vehicles so I'd appreciate any advice on getting the best deal for either. Thanks

edited September 2014

chicagobuyer5,

The Subaru Forester 2015 is a excellent choice and best in its class. $ 24,905 is invoice price with the 417 dollar weather pkg added. You may get lucky and get dealers to discount a few more dollars on the 2015 but that is it. As dealers stock rises with Foresters on lots pricing will loosen up. Most of the 2015 model Foresters will need to be ordered taken probably 6 weeks or more. Dealers without your model on there lot will not go out of there way with better pricing. So if you could order one and get dealer to sell at invoice consider it. That's a good deal for SEPT.

Check out.......... Grand Subaru, Gary Lang auto group.... if either dealer has your model you may do a little better price wise.

Pricing here in the NY/ NJ area on the 2015 Foresters are ranging from 500 above invoice to some at Invoice price. If I was buying a 2015, Forester today My 1st target price to buy would be ;

Invoice price Minus that dealers doc fee charge, Minus Half of the dealers hold back on the vehicle.

Dealer hold back on Subaru's are 2% of total MSRP

The 14 CRV you probably could negotiate another 500 dollars off your 1461 below invoice price by getting more dealerships involved in the price wars and buying closer to the end of this month.

edited September 2014

A good negotiating ploy when trying to BUY THAT 2015 model in 2014 when pricing may not be good due to supply and demand is;

Send out a quick messaged email to 25 Subaru Int/ mgrs. Tell each dealership you are in the process of buying a CRV possible by Tomm. . You then ask each dealer If I reconsider buying the Subaru will your dealership sell me my model....... then list model........ for 500 below dealers invoice price. Wait till you get at least 10 response's back before negotiating price with contacted dealers. You have now broken the ice and are Negotiating online with maybe 10 or more dealers who are biding for your business who think they may have a sale that day if you agree on a price with them.

The other way you could handle this is direct calls to each dealerships Internet MGR. That is the route I would go. One on one talks with the person who has the authority that moment to say Yes or No to me. If your not a good negotiator or a 1st time new car buyer simple send out this email and negotiate online.

This method works great with any car scenario not just for Subaru's.

Your emails/ Phone negotiating Talks should always paint the picture to dealers

1- There is another car I am buying

2- A better price right now earns your dealership the sale.

3- There are other dealers competing.

4- Id rather buy from you your the closest dealership to me.

5- I have no problem buying at Joe's auto there pricing is lower.

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.