Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Warranty options for a Honda Accord 2014

wizard316wizard316 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Honda

Hello All,

I am a new owner of a honda accord 2014 LX and I am looking to buy an extended warranty on the car. Can some one please shed some light on what to buy and where to buy it from ?

I was offered bumper to bumper extended warranty on the car at the dealership for USD 1500 for 100K miles and 7 Years.

Please advise.
Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,196

@wizard316 said:
    Hello All,

I am a new owner of a honda accord 2014 LX and I am looking to buy an extended warranty on the car. Can some one please shed some light on what to buy and where to buy it from ?

I was offered bumper to bumper extended warranty on the car at the dealership for USD 1500 for 100K miles and 7 Years.

Please advise.
    Thanks

I wouldn't buy anything but a HondaCare warranty.

If you Google it, you'll find some dealerships selling online or by phone... pretty good prices, too (Under $1000)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708

I wouldn't buy any extended warranty on such a reliable car. Put that money in a 'car repair' fund and you'll be money ahead, 90%+ percent of the time. But if you must, ONLY get a Hondacare factory extended warranty. Many others are worthless.

• Options
    stockdoxstockdox Member Posts: 14

Bought a Honda Care warranty online from Saccucci Honda. Great prices. I concur with what is said, only buy Honda Care.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

If you don't get a magnifying glass and read every word of any extended warranty, you are asking for trouble. Many extended warranties have notable "exclusions", some of which you aren't going to be happy about come claim time. If the factory is backing the extended warranty, that's much better but even there, read every word of it.

• Options
    wizard316wizard316 Member Posts: 2

@ Mr_Shiftright: Thank you for replying to my email. I appreciate it. I think the price of the warranty is some thing I can use help on.

Any thing that the existing Honda users can point me to would be a great help.

Thanks

• Options
    glastonburyglastonbury Member Posts: 22
    Ok
  • Options
    As an MBA and CFA, the idea of putting the 1k into a sinking fund is much more appealing than having it for a potential claim 5+ years down the road. Extended warranty claims are generally not worth the risk reward based on a high risk reduction premia. In little people explanation, you are paying a very high price for the expected value estimation of repairs in the future (discounting the potential for future repairs 5 years from now makes that 1k you pay today really more like 1,500....not worth it for most folks).

Any Honda people want to argue with someone like me (Yes, I very likely am finically more intelligent than 99 per cent of people)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    edited December 2014
    You may be "financially" more intelligent than the other 99% of us but you might want to work on your spelling!

I agree, if you feel the need for an extended warranty I would only buy Honda Care.

I can argue the pros and cons of buying this warranty.

If you are risk adverse I would go with it. If you like to roll the dice, don't buy one.

Given today's labor rates and the high cost of parts, one incident could more than exceed what you paid for the warranty.

But, what do I know? I'm just a "little person".
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    As an MBA and CFA, the idea of putting the 1k into a sinking fund is much more appealing than having it for a potential claim 5+ years down the road. Extended warranty claims are generally not worth the risk reward based on a high risk reduction premia. In little people explanation, you are paying a very high price for the expected value estimation of repairs in the future (discounting the potential for future repairs 5 years from now makes that 1k you pay today really more like 1,500....not worth it for most folks). Any Honda people want to argue with someone like me (Yes, I very likely am finically more intelligent than 99 per cent of people)
    Wow!  It's been a while since I have read such a demeaning and arrogant post on Edmunds.  On behalf of all us little people everywhere - pffffttt!
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    Your welcome
  • Options
    Your welcome