Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Bound for Showrooms in 2015 | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Mazda
image2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Bound for Showrooms in 2015 | Edmunds.com

The wraps came off the redesigned 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata on Wednesday, with a showroom date set for mid-2015.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145

Definitely looks more mature. I think I see some BMW Z3 in there. Any update on the Alfa tie-in?

• sdiegosdiego Member Posts: 19

Another smiley face.

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

I like it a lot. I will say that I see a lot of the new Jag F type in the profile, which is ironic since the original Miata is a dead ringer for the Lotus Elan and now looks like the little brother of the Jag.

I am kind of disappointed that they went with the 2.0 engine. I know the Miata has never been about power, but 180-190hp is hardly a lot and still less than the FR-S/BRZ.

I wonder if they have finally made the cabin more friendly for those of us with above average stature?

And it weighs LESS, see Ford and Chevy, you can update an icon and make it lighter.

Lastly, Duran Duran sounded pretty good. LeBon's voice has held up really well, but they should have led with Girls on Film, not View To a Kill.

• vrooomf1vrooomf1 Member Posts: 28

Looks way better (more mature and "sharky" facia) than the current model (too girly for me) but if the chassis doesn't rise any concern, the engine does. Please Mazda put some zooms in this thing!

• mbhaubmbhaub Member Posts: 1

Gee, I don't know. Somehow seems to be angry looking. I think my 2008 Grand Touring with PRHT just increased its resale value quite a bit. But, time marches on and I want to see one and drive it!

• glossgloss Member Posts: 150

180hp in a 2300lb car should be pleasantly zippy.

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

@bankerdanny said:
    I am kind of disappointed that they went with the 2.0 engine. I know the Miata has never been about power, but 180-190hp is hardly a lot and still less than the FR-S/BRZ.

I wouldn't have anything against them putting the 2.5 in it but at the same time the FRS weighs in at 2758 lbs and the Miata will be around 2300 lbs. That is a huge difference and should more than compensates for 10-20 hp difference

• subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140

I had thought that the 2.5 liter engine might be made available in the new MX-5, but perhaps this was too much to hope for. I will reserve judgment until an instrumented road test is completed. Then again, this car has never been about numbers, but an affordable blend of balance, poise, emotion and simplicity instead (greater than the sum of its parts). Very nice effort though.

• robdominic1robdominic1 Member Posts: 1

I think it looks a bit like the Honda S-2000 in the front, actually.

• prelude83prelude83 Member Posts: 4

I am really surprised how positively most of the comments have been. I think the styling is a mess. The front end has various lines coming together at the bumper at different points, none of them work in harmony, but each look like they were penned by someone else. The side profile has way too much heft above the wheels, making the car look heavy (ironically). The rear is pure Jaguar, but with added heft as the tail-lights are so high, unlike the Jag where they are lower. And the wheels are way too small, but that can be fixed. Mazda's 3 and 6 are such great looking cars with their own design language. This does not build on those, but is something else unfortunately. There is no excuse for a sports car to not look great from every angle, since designers aren't constricted by the practical considerations of designing family cars.

• kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175

Does look like a s2000. Now how about a next gen RX-7.? Been waiting a long time!!

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    edited September 2014

@7driver said:
    Any update on the Alfa tie-in?

According to Automotive News, Fiat Chrysler will use the new Miata's platform with a Fiat powertrain and transmission. Chances are that it will not be Alpha Romeo branded but Fiat or Abarth. It will apparently be available to buy late 2015.

Here's the link:

autonews.com/article/20140903/OEM04/140909955/next-mx-5-miata-will-help-mazda-define-itself

• cooper7rcooper7r Member Posts: 2

The highway fuel mileage stinks for a modern 4cyl. in a car that light. The 2015 Corvette beats it.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Looks great, I think, but...I don't think it's going to be cross-shopped with a Boxster - give me a break, Anita Lienert. C'mon, Edmunds - give ME a job. I can write and I actually know something about cars.

• mitt_zombie1mitt_zombie1 Member Posts: 32

I like it much more than the one it replaces, more masculine looking, less weight, less weight is the best part. I live on Cape Cod though, and Miata is the official gay man's car in Provincetown. (not that there is anything wrong with that) I think I could pull it off though!

Looks great, I think, but...I don't think it's going to be cross-shopped with a Boxster - give me a break, Anita Lienert. C'mon, Edmunds - give ME a job. I can write and I actually know something about cars.

Why not? The Miata is 90% of the Porche for half the price. My brother's wife has a Boxter and drives it slow as molasses, she would have been better off with the Miata.

@cooper7r said:
    The highway fuel mileage stinks for a modern 4cyl. in a car that light. The 2015 Corvette beats it.

This is not a highway cruiser..... Just the opposite, they would have ruined it with tall gearing trying to get highway mpgs.

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

@fordson1 said:
    C'mon, Edmunds - give ME a job.

Well, it was worth a try!

• cooper7rcooper7r Member Posts: 2

@mitt_zombie1 said:
    This is not a highway cruiser..... Just the opposite, they would have ruined it with tall gearing trying to get highway mpgs.

Come on now. Full-size pickups are getting close to the Miata's number.

@cooper7r said:

Well my brother in laws Ecoboost F-150 gets 15 mpgs overall (12 mpgs with racks on) But you do make a valid point, for a small 4 banger it does not get great mpgs.

• zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

@cooper7r said:

We also don't have any MPG numbers on the new one and the old one had an engine that has been around a while in it.

Looking at fuelly the current Miatas seem to be averaging right around their highway rating so it seems to be rated a bit low on MPG if that is the average they are getting.
    Show me a full size pickup that can do that; let alone one that can achieve its highway rating. Averaging 28 isn't bad for a sporty car that doesn't have an over-sized engine with tall gearing for freeway cruising.

• blubblub Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    My super cab F250 diesel gets 15.5 in town and 22 hwy, it used to get close to 17/25 before they took the sulphur out of diesel, not bad for a 7,000 lb brick going down the highway. MX5 mileage is pretty sad for something I can throw in the back of my truck, not that it would stop me from buying one.