Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape

Comments

• peteapetea Member Posts: 8
    Can someone tell me what the x-plan is about and how you go about utilizing it? Thanks.
  • 1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    (petea) read Msg. 172 and find others. Knowledge makes you a Buyer. Know what You want. Then just do it! Remember contact only Fleet, they do the Plans.
  • chytraeuschytraeus Member Posts: 27
    My price, $300 under invoice, did NOTinclude a "dealer fee." X-plan is great, but it is not as necessary or significant as some would want to believe. More power to you if you use it, but I got a great deal without it.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Does this apply only to Escape?

Can this work with Ranger?

If I understand it correctly, it allows you configure your car online, and then you just refer to a number at your dealer?
  • jybnashjybnash Member Posts: 4
    What do you think is a good price to pay for a quality automobile that is quick, good handling, roomy, fuel efficient, and 5 star front impact rated? 1000 over invoice? Do you want the salesman to eat?
  • lovethosesuvslovethosesuvs Member Posts: 95
    Well, you tell us...with all the allowances and incentives that a car company makes available to its salespeople, what ordinary consumer knows what the real price is??
  • coolsystemscoolsystems Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a blue XLS escape Saturday,for my wife.(the 5 speed didn't matter)We got a pretty good deal on it. guess the bad part is that we had to get one!See,we had a fully loaded 1999 Mustang GT,that we had to get rid of because we already have 2 kids,& ye,you guessed it,my wife is pregnant(this is the last time),& the stang only has 2 seat belts in the back + only 2 doors.
    But,thats done. All in all I am pretty impressed with the Escape. we had looked for 2 weeks before I bought. we looked at the Rav4,but quickly left when we saw how little space they had in the cargo area. The Escape has just about the same as my neighbors Blazer.
    One thing I am concerned about ,is the recalls.
    Mine was built in March 2001(according to the door sticker)The sticker on the motor has 03/08/2001.So,I hope most of the bugs are worked out.
  • kayakrkayakr Member Posts: 24
    Take a peek at the part of my previous post where I stated that dealers will - on occasion - sell at a discount such as you got. You did about $100.00 better than I did using the X-plan. I still stand by my statement that the negotiated price of the car will not include a dealer fee that will almost certainly be added later. I shopped 4 Ford dealers, 2 Nissan dealers, and 3 GM/Chevy dealers before learning about the X-plan. It was getting very discouraging - I left the table twice while trying to purchase a vehicle. My bargaining abilities are not as sharp as yours, and therefore, the X-plan was a Godsend! I was quoted a firm price over the phone, went down and bought that very Escape - 45 minutes worth of paperwork and I drove it home - no additional costs, no surprises at all. This is the way to go for those of us who do not care to haggle extensively. Congrats on your deal! RR
  • chytraeuschytraeus Member Posts: 27
    Some of you may be aware that there is a person who goes by the name, RuSharp, who delights in taking shots at the Ford Escape. He is a Hyundai Santa Fe owner. Get this . . . ouch!

Just saw this on the Edmunds site. The JD Powers study puts Hyundai almost at bottom of the list for quality - beating only Kia, Suzuki and Daewoo (and much worse than both Mazda and Ford, I might add). I'm sure this will stir up some discussions with our Sante Fe listeners out there.

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/power15.htm

• dlf5dlf5 Member Posts: 1
    My OD-II light came on last night, I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow. They've never known it to come on. Does anyone out there know anything about this? The hand book states that it's the check engine light and that it could be anything from emissions problems to engine problems. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?
  • taylairtaylair Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an Escape XLS,with the 4 cylinder,& 5 speed tranny Saturday.Today I was running on the highway this morning at about 65 mph,& after I traveled about 10 miles,it began jumping out of 5th gear.This also happened 2 times this afternoon.The only way I can get it to quit for another 10 miles,is to pull off the side the road,shut the engine down,wait a minute,then start it and continue on my way.The transmission also makes funny grinding noised while turning.It only has 200 miles on it!
    Has anyone else had these problems?
  • kayakrkayakr Member Posts: 24
    Here's an ideal way to protect the cargo area at a fraction of the cost of ordering a custom mat. I went to Home Depot & bought some black indoor/outdoor carpeting and cut it using the factory cargo carpet as a pattern. Cut the mat about 3/4" wider than the factory carpet all around. The fit is good & tight, looks good & protects the carpet. All this for $12.00 and less than an hours work! Next will be the rear floor mat... RR
  • scottf2scottf2 Member Posts: 14
    I just bought an Escape and love it! I realized right away that I need a bug shield and a rubber catch-all cargo mat. Ford wants to sell this stuff way over what it's worth... could anyone direct be to a web site and/or store for cheap accessories? thanks!
  • loader1963loader1963 Member Posts: 1
    My XLT is about due for an oil change and I've looked all over for 5W-20 oil and can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where to get it besides the Ford dealer. I've already looked at WalMart, and AutoZone
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    Best prices I have found were at http://www.partscheap.com/

click on Ford and it takes you right to Escape parts.

Happy hunting.

• scottf2scottf2 Member Posts: 14
  • escapee1escapee1 Member Posts: 1
    Could I get some feedback concerning a noise I'm hearing in the rear gate of my '01 XLT 4x4 V6? I wanted to know if any others had the problem and what was serviced in order to correct. I want to be able to pass this info to the service tech. The noise happens too often on all types of pavement. I've checked the window and rear gate to insure they're closed tightly. I've also checked for loose parts. Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • gnomicgnomic Member Posts: 11
    Greetings All!

I've had my Escape XLT 4X4 with ALL the options for a month now. Got it from Steve Johnson @ Bob Beuckman (www.gotobo.com) in St. Louis, MO. Ordered in Mid-Feb for $85 over invoice, got it the end of last month. Last car: a 2000 Mustang with not enough room for the bodies in the trunk (JUST KIDDING!! - But people quit asking why I'd give up a 'stang!).

The good news is that nothing seems to be wrong: no odd fuel smells, no rattles, nothing. It handles like a car, it peppy enough for my lead foot, and I'm the envy of the SUV crowd in my office.

Little nits: The leather interior feels like cheap vinyl (my 95 contour had GREAT seats!) and the 6-CD changer has long pauses when switching out CDs. The Mach-1 sound system doesn't have the punch it needs (the 'stang had less room, and was good but not great). The moonroof cover isn't vented (another niceity in the 95 Contour). And of course there is way too many things sticking out of the steering column.

The biggest nit is the "tilt" steering is adjusted using some bizarre/awkward control on the underside of the column. Missed that on the test drive.

Something that many will find annoying is the "insistant" seat belt reminder. Not a ding, or even a ding-ding, but a ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding that repeats for 30 seconds for 5 minutes. I know safety is important; I don't need the reminder.

There seems to be a minor glitch in the remote security/seat belt reminder logic if you turn the car off while in park. Seems to affect the bells and whistles, but not much else.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Got a good deal on loan rates by shopping around and getting ford credit to match my best rate. Saved a 1/2 pt. and got a $400 rebate for getting my MBA.

Look for a 6mo and 12mo review in the future....
    Great review--glad you are not having problems, as from what I've read so far, I'm hesitant to buy the Escape now if I have to worry about quality. Makes me wonder if I should spend the money for that spiffy Beemer SUV. Would rather not have the snob-appeal SUV though.

Question on financing--are you a recent grad? I have my MBA too and would love to get in on that rebate (but I've been out of school for a few years now). And your finance rate--could you give us more info there? Rates around here at credit unions for a 5-year term are currently running at 8 percent for best rate.

Thanks!!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    How are people finding the 4 cyl. models in terms of power and fuel economy?
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I bought 5w20 at R&S Strauss(Castrol $1.79), Advance Auto parts in Dover NJ(Texaco reg. price $1.24 on sale (.99)). I bought a SUV Cargo Mat at Costco for $15.00 .Grey and almost covers the entire trunk space. Good enough.
  • goindy1goindy1 Member Posts: 1
    As a frustrated Chevy Blazer owner, I decided to purchase my first Ford. I have to say my wife and I are extremely impressed. We love our Escape XLT. Like everyone else we were concerned about the recalls but so far ours shows no symptoms of any problems. I actually have people in parking lots comment on what a sharp looking vehicle the Escape is and would I recommend it. I highly recommend it.
    The vehicle handles great. The engine is quite and responsive and the interior is roomy and comfortable. The only suggestion I would make is to relocate the gear shift to the floor. The shift arm is too long and slightly interfears with the radio controls.
    Overall Great vehicle.
    See #620/621 for beginning.

To paraphase Ghostbusters, the next time someone asks you if your a Grad, the answer is "YES".

lovethosesuvs>> are you a recent grad?

Yup. Got my MBA Dec/00.

lovethosesuvs>> but I've been out of school for a few years now

Then you are SOL - I think the deadline is mid-'00

lovethosesuvs>> And your finance rate--could you give us more info there?

Ford credit offered 7.9% I locked in at 7.25%. the best rate around hear was 6.9%, but I got the add'l $400 grad credit, making my effective rate a bit better I think.
  • hexcophexcop Member Posts: 1
    Hi I purchased the escape 2001 XLT almost a month ago. The 3rd week in went in for service, because the lower control arm fell off while I was driving(that controls the steering). The dealership had my veh for 7 days, I just got it back. They replaced the subframe (the whole underneath) of the truck, all the bolts were stripped. I heard a loud creeking noise from the 1st day I drove it.The noise would happen when I would go forward from a stopped position,turning left or right, and backing out of a space. I am fighting for a new truck, because now they didn't even align it. Hope this helps you with your noise problem. I filed a complaint so this should be on file with ford. Good Luck!
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    Are you "OTJ" in the NY area? I work with a Paul Geraci in K-9.
    I got my 4wd/XLT on 4/20 & its a great car/truck.
    Good luck in your fight for a new truck!
    Dave
  • vezinivezini Member Posts: 38
    Do the Tribute and the Escape have the same suspension? I have heard it stated that the Escape has a suspension that is less sporty than the Mazda. Any comments?
  • nyy4lounyy4lou Member Posts: 2
    If you had it to do all over, would you buy the Escape? I'm torn. I love the look, but not as sure of the reliability. I drove one for a short test drive last week and it handled well, but have read all sorts of horror stories. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    World's first HEV-- SUV

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    A HEV Escape would be terrific. My only concern is what kind of towing and load capacity it would have. There is no point in having cargo space if the vehicle can't carry the weight. However, with gas prices rising MPGs are becoming a top priority.
    re: #629

Boy, I see this question a lot.

There are a LOT of cars out there. And a small number of them, statisticlly, have problems. And this is the kind of place where you find out about them directly.

The questions to ask yourself are:

Does this car seem BETTER OR WORSE than others?
    Are the Dealers FIXING the problems?
    Are the problems BIG or little?

If you have a few problems with your new car and they fix them without hassle, then that is just the way it is.

If you have a BIG problem and the dealer make it right, well, that happens. The world ain't perfect.

If you have BIG problems that aren't fixed, aren';t fixed right, or keep having problems, that isn't right. The dealer should make it right.

The Escape is a first year production car and has had some problem due to american production startup, not design. The dealers didn't know how to fix them (ford's bad). But most of them now should be OK. See blueovalnews.com for more info.

Mine has a minor problem with the fuel guage not reading as full as it should. Most people wouldn't notice unless they did the math. But that's it so far at 1040 miles.

I'd rather own a Ford than, say, a Hyundi (although they are getting better I hear) or a Yugo. But my cousin who swears by Honda got a CRX that has had one small problem after another for 2 years. Reason not to by a CRX? No..she was just unlucky. (But she won't buy from the same dealer!)

The overall just of this... The Escape is a good car. Some people will have problems. Hope not to be one of them. If you like it, buy it. And don't lay awke nights thinking what if...
  • mikepromikepro Member Posts: 25
    Look at these links for 2002 info:

(Links broken up with spaces due to Edmunds' limitations"

http://www.bradr.com/fordescape/ pics/2002_escape_1.jpg

http://www.bradr.com/fordescape/ pics/2002_escape_2.jpg

Shows color changes, and changes to standard equipment. I like the fact the the XLT will get a power drivers seat standard.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try 'em this way:

Brochure page 1

Brochure page 2

Ford is also running an ad on the Ford Escape new car info page at Edmunds if you want to order a print brochure or look at different colors on the rig. Look for the "Special Info From Ford" link once you pick the model version you are interested in.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • steve344steve344 Member Posts: 1
    In response to 691, I had the same thing, I sprayed the latch box with wd 40, and also some on the joints of the struts that hold up the hatch, the squeaks went away.

Has anyone else been losing any windshield washer fluid?
  • firstnamefirstname Member Posts: 45
    My '01 XLT 4x4 V6 has about 600 miles now, and everything is still perfect. I'm sadden to read so many reports of "recalls" and problems (with seatbelts, lower control arm, etc.) that does not show up on the NHTSA list. Where can I find a complete list of issues that plagued the Escape since it first sold?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    But you have to search for it. It wont come up if you use the Make and Model Search. Use the Year search on the left side and fill the prompts as required.
  • bangsmicbangsmic Member Posts: 1
    Say an article today that Ford was going to recall almost all Firestone Wilderness AT tires on their vehicles. I have an Escape on order right now. Don't they come with those tires? (XLT 4X4) Wonder if this is going to hold up my order or if I am going to be hassled latter to have replacements put on.
  • megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
    Hmm the escape looks like it really had a future, too bad for all of those recalls in its first few monts because that really hurt sales.

Anyways, anyone know if Ford will have the front bumper of the car painted to match the rest of the car in the near future? I t would look a lot better than the ugly gray in fornt in my opinion.
  • firstnamefirstname Member Posts: 45
    I used to own a '99 Accord 4cyl that could easily make 70-100mph high-speed passes while keeping its composure and stability, and with lots of power. In fact, 110mph didn't feel much different from 70 in the Accord.

Has anybody tried this in a V6 Escape? Mine is still in its "break-in" stage, so I won't be pushing it for a while.
    The Escape was the fourth best selling SUV in April selling 14,025 vehicles and has sold 56,010 vehicles so far this year. That puts them at #6 for the year. I know people have complained about the recalls, but remember each of these were voluntary, not mandatory. Ford could have fixed problems as they came up under warranty and most people wouldn't have known about the problems until their cars broke. Voluntary recalls are a proactive way to correct problems before people suffer possibly life threatening situations. They could have tried to do what Mitsubishi in Japan did. Toyota Camry's have had over 40 recalls in their history with over 100,000 recalled for a similar steering nut problem that Ford had. Those vehicle were on the road up to 5 years before they were recalled.
    I doubt that any SUV (except maybe the X5) will have the same handling characteristics at high speed that a sedan or coupe will. If you were looking for that kind of performance, you picked the wrong type of vehicle. I'm sure the Escape will go that fast, but if you run into an emergency situation the vehicle configuration of an SUV will leave you a much smaller margin of error before you lose control.
    Noticed that in fall privacy glass is standard. I do not want this! I don't care for the dark interior that results with privacy glass, and with the tonneau cover, I get the privacy I'm looking for.

Question is, am I OK getting an Escape now, in the 2001 model year, given all the recalls in its first year? Or will mechanicals be that much better in 2002? I really DO NOT want that privacy glass. But I do want a mechanically sound vehicle.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    bangsmic - Not sure about the Escape but the Tribute comes with the Wilderness HT nor the AT (which apparently is the one under recall).

firstname - First of all I agree with tincup that the X5 would most likely have the best steering, however, I also feel you must remember SUVs are not sports cars, they are not meant for high speed driving. Second of all, I believe that both the Escape and the Tribute are electronically governed (computer chip) to top out at 107mph.

RECALLS - were not all these done prior to November. Since that time has any new production Escape/Tribute been effected by them?
    Hello,

We thank you for your interest in Ford's tire replacement program for
    Firestone Wilderness AT tires. We hope that the following information
    will assist you in understanding the situation and in addressing your
    questions regarding the safety of your vehicle.

Ford will replace Firestone Wilderness AT tires on Ford Explorers,
    Expeditions, F-Series and Ranger and Mercury Mountaineers at no expense
    to our customers. This is a voluntary precautionary measure. Ford made
    the decision to take this action after extensive examination of real
    world data as well as laboratory and track testing in close
    collaboration with NHTSA. The real world data, in conjunction with our
    testing and statistical projections, shows these tires will probably
    have elevated failure rates at some time in the future. Ford does not
    have sufficient confidence in the future performance of these tires, so
    we're acting in the interest of our customers' safety and to ensure
    their continued trust and confidence.

If you have Firestone Wilderness AT tires on your Ford or Mercury
    vehicle, a communication will be mailed to you to have your tires
    replaced at no charge.

Ford Motor Company's first concern is for the safety of our customers.
    The large number of vehicles involved will almost immediately exhaust
    manufacturer inventories before they are able to increase production
    volumes. We are halting production at some of our assembly plants to
    divert tire volume toward this program.

If your tires are older than three years, or have more than 30,000 miles
    on them, please contact an authorized Ford or Lincoln Mercury Certified
    Tire dealer to arrange to have your tires replaced. Because tire
    supplies are limited, we are asking customers with newer tires to
    schedule an appointment after they receive the notification letter from
    Ford.

For all tires, it is important to maintain proper inflation pressure
    (for proper tire pressure check the label on the driver side door jam),
    not to overload your vehicle, and inspect tires periodically for any
    damage.

If you paid to replace your Firestone Wilderness AT tires from August 1,
    2000 through May 22, 2001 and you have your original receipt, Ford Motor
    Company will reimburse you. If you still have your old tires you should
    return them to your Ford or Lincoln Mercury Certified Tire Dealer for
    free tire disposal and refund processing. You can receive a refund by
    attaching your original receipt (no copies) to a completed refund form.
    The refund form is available on the Internet at www.ford.com.

If you have further specific questions, please email us at
    tires@customersupportctr.com or call us at 1-866-300-1226 and we will be
    happy to address your inquires. Also, the latest updates to the program
    are available at www.ford.com.

Thank you again for contacting Ford Motor Company there are two things
    that we never take lightly: Your safety and your trust.

Sincerely,
    Ford Motor Company
    Customer Relationship Center
  • participantparticipant Member Posts: 29
    Although not a recall, the gas smell, so someone said in one of these forums, could be a problem for later built Escapes & Mazdas because the engines were already in stock.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I ordered my Escape on May 10th..so I am now waiting. I have already had for knock a little off because of the Firestone's... instead I'm going to Goodyear and having Wrangler RT-S tires put on.
  • hunnybeehunnybee Member Posts: 1
    Reply to #613 taylair - Yes, we had transmission problems. I would see a dealer right away if I were you. We have a chrome yellow XLT V6...very fun to drive and our first brand new car/truck. We were coming home from a long weekend trip and still 4 hours from home when the o/d light began flashing on the highway. We were surprised with only 800 miles on the odometer, but we decided to stop at the closest dealer we could find. As it turned out, the transmission was running reverse, first and second all at the same time. The Ford dealer we stopped at took a look and after very nicely providing a loaner car for us to get home, called and told us that there were some defective Escape transmissions and that Ford was sending out a whole new factory transmission. They received and installed the transmission, only to have one of the seals leak. After 2 weeks, we got our Escape back with a new transmission, a new seal and all seems just fine.
    All,

I drove past the local ford dealer on the way home. All the Escapes had Firestone HTs, not the recalled ATs.

So we take a hit in the pocketbook on resale if we unload it with the 'stones. Frankly, I'll probably replace the tires before I sell, so I'm not that worried. Given a chioce between 'stones and goodyear, I'll take the 'stones.

I don't know what I'll replace these with, but if Perrelli has a tire that fits... Best Tires I ever owned. Could take my Accord around a cloverleaf curve doing 70 with narry a skid. My wife had the exact same car with cheaper tires and I couldn't do the same thing at 50.

For those of you worried at this tire recall, relax. the Escape is much lighter than the explorer and not so tall, so the stresses that may cause failure are much less. Chances are some idiot will hit you before your tires blow up.

Just a matter of perspective!
    Received my X-Plan quote in writing and there is a $300 charge for Financing. What is this?

Also, they are charging holdback for both the vehicle and its options...why, if I have to order out for this vehicle?

Other than that, the price is about 0.7% over invoice (about $2,100 less than MSRP). They say the price they are quoting me is an estimate and the final price will come when the vehicle comes. Yet they want me to sign a purchase contract. Should I?

I ran out of time yesterday, as I had an appointment, so didn't finish the financial paperwork.

Please help!
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    There are to be "NO" additional charges with the X plan except for tax,tags and title. NONE.Contact Ford Motor Corp. at their customer service 800 number immediately...if not sooner...The dealer knowsw these rules and "MUST" follow them.X plan on the Escape is approxiamately $200 to 300 under the dealer invoice price.104% of A Plan price.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I would never sign for something until I see exactly what it is I am signing for.....