Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Road Trip!

Comments

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

Found a picture of my visiting bear friend

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

Well, that dude has seen a few visits from Fish & Game. All he "needs" now is a funnel around his neck. LOL

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

Leaving tomorrow around 5 am for South Bend. Picking up one of the kids after they get out of work in the Cleveland area. The other is going to meet us at the hotel, driving from Madison. Saturday night going to the ND/UofM football game. I've seen both teams play, but not each other. Driving home Sunday morning. A quick 1600+ miles round trip. Theoretically, I should be able to make it into Ohio on a tank of gas. Don't trust the gas gauge that much.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450

Steve looks like you bailed out of the UP just in time. That old GW is showing its ugly face across the Nation. For those traveling in the Northern tier have your chains with you.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2014/09/september-snow-in-seven-states-over-seven-days/

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Missed the MIT study earlier in the week about GW and more snow, eh? (washingtonpost.com). Now they are blaming the Polar Vortex on GW too.

But yeah, it's nice not worrying about shoveling or mowing. The condo had a meet and greet breakfast this morning - 80° out and our table was talking about skiing and boarding at Ruidoso and Taos. Never fails - get on the ski run and we'll be talking about canoeing or swimming.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited September 2014

@stever said:
    Missed the MIT study earlier in the week about GW and more snow, eh? (washingtonpost.com). Now they are blaming the Polar Vortex on GW too.

Yup. That's what they always taught me in science: construct every explanation around the thesis that is expedient and try to make it sound like the data supports that thesis. It worked well for Ptolemy.

But it's not right for GW.

The old World War II vet that I talk with when he's at the quick market where I get flavored coffee says we're in for a tough winter here in W. Ohio. I believe he says it will come early as well. He's predicting some big snows with blowing like we haven't had for the last few years. Haven't had the 10-12 inch snows with blowing and drifting. He should know the pattern better than Farmers Almanac: he's 89. He's seen a lot of winters.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited September 2014

And publish bad data and get egg on your face when the results can't be repeated by your peers. Cold fusion anyone?

We did see tons of wooly bears coming across the northern tier. They were really thick on one section of road. And the crickets at the VLA site were crazy - enough protein there to feed Akron for a day or too.

Durn damp and clouds here; barely warm enough to swim but the hot tub feels nice. B)

Guess all the kids are back in school and the road tripping has fallen off. Well, there's time to prepare a leaf peeping trip.

Don't forget the tire chains.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Now you are in Las Cruces you have some of the best birding in the USA within a couple hundred miles. That whole SE corner of AZ is rich with birds and wildlife. I plan to spend some time there this winter. We plan to camp at the Hampton Inn Lordsburg and take long day trips up into the various areas around Chiricahua National Monument.

http://southernarizonaguide.com/baja-arizonas-best-birding-areas/

• Options
    edited September 2014

There's a new wetland talked about in the local paper today that's going to be a new birding hot spot here, with ~190 species already spotted.

Our Taos friends usually get down to the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge every Spring for the migration (then they follow the Snow Geese to AK).

So far, this is the only roadrunner we've seen.

Chiricahua looks really neat.

• Options

It's been darned cold up here lately. We went from "summer may be nearly over" to "what the... what happened to autumn?!" in about three-days' time. I'm sweatin' it as I try to get my "shed" closed in. LOL

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I always remember mid-September up there as being the dicey time of year. We'd always try to get a trip in mid-month and sometimes it'd be sunny and nice and sometimes you'd just have miserable weather. Those trips were usually planned with a backup alternative, like lunch in a roadhouse after driving to the put-in and then bombing back home. :D

Got rain and it's cold here too. Had to turn the air off and put on a long sleeve T. Only 68° - it's actually a few degrees warmer back in the UP. But looking at my weather bug, your weather doesn't look bad at all (during the day at least).

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169

Been on the road a little lately. Some of my favorite driving roads are rural highways in eastern WA. My formative years were spent in the Columbia Basin, and the scenery is very relaxing for me. Some would find it desolate, but it soothes me. The almost empty roads and lack of annoyances help too.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Kinda looks like high desert to me. I always like the desert sky, seems like there is always a neat shade of blue up there. In your hometown of Seattle, I think there are often very neat looking clouds in the sky (on clear days that is!). If you ever get down to Arizona, drive a stretch of the preserved RT 66 if you haven't yet. I think you'd enjoy it. You have a good car for cruising those lonely 2 lane stretches. Now throw in some railroad tracks and you'll have nailed it.

• Options

@stever said:
    But looking at my weather bug, your weather doesn't look bad at all (during the day at least).

No, it's fantastic right now. But, that's after a few "early" nights of heavy frost, so garden is gone. Sadness.

• Options

@fintail said:
    My formative years were spent in the Columbia Basin, and the scenery is very relaxing for me. Some would find it desolate, but it soothes me.

Okay, I'm a little homesick now. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@fintail said:

Looks like farm country in first picture. I love the included image of the home.
    What crops do they raise. I see one or two fields that appear to be farm other than hay.

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    What crops do they raise. I see one or two fields that appear to be farm other than hay.

Hay is actually a fairly rare commodity in much of the Columbia Basin. The soil productivity generally warrants low-moisture food crops (human consumption) such as wheat, barley, oats, canola, and, as I recall, peas. Hay is far more common in hilly country with more marginal soils, such as the foothills surrounding the basin and various pockets within, as are the livestock it supports.

More recently (but probably as much as twenty years ago now!), many of the farmers in the region started baling their straw for use in the paper (was it paper?) industry. Others, particularly near the Columbia River, started growing poplar trees for the paper industry. They are grown on a ten-year cycle. Seems a little odd to see these vast "forests" of perfectly-aligned trees pop up in the middle of a treeless landscape, but I sure do welcome the shade when traveling along I-84 outside of Boardman (OR) in the middle of summer....

• Options

@xwesx said:
    More recently (but probably as much as twenty years ago now!), many of the farmers in the region started baling their straw for use in the paper (was it paper?) industry.

Maybe that's what the fields I see are. One field has rolls of that straw then, only here it's usually hay that's been rolled up as a food for livestock later when it turns winter.

It did see some row crops in one picture.

The great pictures caught my eye because it's like when I drive back into my home area of eastern Indiana. I love traveling along some of the same roads I drove as a kid. I also love driving through a lot of the rural areas of Ohio and Indiana where the farm country is mostly all there is. Returning to my roots.

• Options
    edited September 2014

We went through large swaths of rural Ohio several years back when we drove our 1998 Dodge GC to Pennsylvania. Neat country out there, and I got a kick out of the roads and their tendency to be straight lines for miles and miles, then make a series of 90-degree turns as they snaked between the fields. It's hard to imagine that whole area was once woodland. The amount of work to convert that to agriculture is just inestimable, especially for the time period it occurred.

Oh, yeah... Fin, where were you in that second photo? I see a fair number of basaltic outcroppings, which means those probably are hay fields in that area. There's a region called the "channeled scablands" that has pretty thin soil and a lot of pasture/hay acreage. I find that event rather fascinating. Some of the rivers have cut fairly sizable gorges through the landscape, too, and grapes, tree orchards, and other crops with a higher water requirement are often grown in their proximity.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Strange duplication....

• Options

@xwesx said:
    No, it's fantastic right now. But, that's after a few "early" nights of heavy frost, so garden is gone. Sadness.

The weather looks rather good in Prince William Sound. Friend sent these pics of his fishing trip to Whittier last week. halibut was 5 foot long about 100lbs.

• Options

Something else I seem to remember around Moses Lake - beets. There's a lot of hops in the Yakima valley, too.

Those roads I drove on have similar memories for me. My parents were hobbyist antique dealers, and my dad was a metal detector enthusiast, so we went down many of these roads on various excursions when I was a kid - I remember being on that road with the house. There are many tiny virtual ghost towns in eastern WA, and spots where a map has a place name, but almost nothing remains. It must have been really tough out there before large scale irrigation arrived in the 40s.

Drove along the Columbia today, and down into central Oregon. Didn't take any pics, but the scenery is similar.

@imidazol97 said:
    The great pictures caught my eye because it's like when I drive back into my home area of eastern Indiana. I love traveling along some of the same roads I drove as a kid. I also love driving through a lot of the rural areas of Ohio and Indiana where the farm country is mostly all there is. Returning to my roots.

• Options

You're from like Hermiston or Pendleton, right?

@xwesx said:

• Options
    edited September 2014

@gagrice, I like the ones under 50 pounds but if your friend wants to send a couple of filets out, I'd manage even with the bigger flakes. ;)

@xwesx, the scablands link was interesting - they just had a glacier lake blow-out down in Kenai Fjords last month and it really changed the lake in front of Bear Glacier out of Seward. Wiped out part of the barrier beach there and created a new outlet channel to the Gulf.

• Options
    edited September 2014

@fintail said: > Something else I seem to remember around Moses Lake - beets. There's a lot of hops in the Yakima valley, too.

Hops and beets. Not something commonly grown in eastern Indiana/Ohio. Interesting.

Were the pictures taken by a cellphone or something from the GoPro family?

• Options

@fintail said:
    You're from like Hermiston or Pendleton, right?

Pendleton area... Helix to be exact. Good luck finding that town! B)

• Options

@stever said:
    gagrice, I like the ones under 50 pounds but if your friend wants to send a couple of filets out, I'd manage even with the bigger flakes. ;)

xwesx, the scablands link was interesting - they just had a glacier lake blow-out down in Kenai Fjords last month and it really changed the lake in front of Bear Glacier out of Seward. Wiped out part of the barrier beach there and created a new outlet channel to the Gulf.

Intriguing! I had not heard about that, but it was a good read. As for halibut, I like them best in the 30# range, but with a daily limit or two and the expense of a charter, I'm all for quantity over quality. LOL

• Options

@xwesx said:

Biggest one I ever caught was about 30lbs. It was good eating. Being bottom fish I wonder if Mercury would be an issue in a big old one?

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

@fintail said:
    Fintail is definitely faster, although the 240D driver drives his car hard, and generally keeps up. It's the hills that get to him.

Some other pics:

Great pictures, I need to get back out to the NW, one of my favorite parts of the country.

The fintail looks good too, great car for the drive!

• Options
    edited September 2014

Makes you wonder. I think I only caught three in my life - I get seasick so only went on one charter in 20 years and got two ~50 pounders on it. And then I got the captain to swap out a smaller fish with me with someone who wanted more filets for their cooler.

The other was a 3 or 4 pounder I caught in shallow water futzing around in a sea kayak. It was like pulling up a ton of concrete blocks and I was sure it was going to be a 40 pounder. Wound up paddling to shore dragging it behind since I didn't want it to flip me. B) Tasted real good.

• Options

@stever said:
    only went on one charter in 20 years and got two ~50 pounders on it. And then I got the captain to swap out a smaller fish with me with someone who wanted more filets for their cooler.

Wow! Two 50# fish on one trip; that's pretty good!

On the charter I took, the captain intentionally took us to a "chicken" area because he knew we'd all catch well, but that they'd be small. He was big into conservation and said the bigger fish were the breeders, so he hoped we would all catch small ones. Actually, he wouldn't leave the site until we all had our limits, including a couple guys from Texas who argued with him for a while about it because they wanted to keep one tag open "just in case."

Well, later on, when we were fishing for rock fish, sure enough that very guy lands one that is on the order of 110#. He was PO'd; I thought the captain was going for a swim. LOL

• Options

I would have been bummed if someone had hooked into a big one. We were on the boat too many hours as it was without having to take an hour or two to horse in a 400 pounder. Not to mention the 50 pounders will try to kill you.

Chickens - I'd forgotten that term. Sure miss my hook and bullet friends; my larder is too bare these days.

• Options

Just with a phone, quick grab on a straight deserted road while driving.

A few Crater Lake shots from today:

@imidazol97 said:

• Options

The natural wonder of this area is no doubt a part of why population is growing.

I hope to have the old car finally out of the shop in the next week - it had some hiccups. Been in the shop for over 4 weeks this summer, most of that idle time.

@jpp5862 said:
    The fintail looks good too, great car for the drive!

• Options

I've heard of it. I also know those tree farms you mentioned earlier.

My dad liked exploring north central OR, I remember towns like Shaniko, Fossil, Antelope, etc.

@xwesx said:

• Options

@fintail said:

Beautiful day for sure. I don't see any smoke. Did they get all the fires out. How warm up on the rim?

• Options

Gorgeous blue water. Interesting how one side of Crater Lake is wooded and the rest looks more high desert from your pictures. Now you might as well keep the hammer down and hit Lake Tahoe ;)

• Options
    edited September 2014

I dunno Gagrice - those fish pictures remind me of Lynrd Skynard from Alabama and their song "...that smell" :'(

• Options

Did you see the Edmunds CL65 AMG at Crater Lake? Suppose the timing was wrong.

• Options

Quite a bit of smoke between Bend and the lake, then it cleared out. In the 50s at higher elevations, about 85 in Medford.

@gagrice said:
    Beautiful day for sure. I don't see any smoke. Did they get all the fires out. How warm up on the rim?

• Options

The blue really is amazing. I have some pics from the barren side, too. This is as far south as I am going on this trip. Heading up to the coast tomorrow.

@berri said:
    Gorgeous blue water. Interesting how one side of Crater Lake is wooded and the rest looks more high desert from your pictures. Now you might as well keep the hammer down and hit Lake Tahoe ;)

• Options

Ha, nice coincidence. I didn't notice anything like that, no. I seem to recall seeing a C215 somewhere, but I don't remember. But I did snap a similar pic:

@stever said:
    Did you see the Edmunds CL65 AMG at Crater Lake? Suppose the timing was wrong.

• Options

@fintail said:
    The blue really is amazing. I have some pics from the barren side, too. This is as far south as I am going on this trip. Heading up to the coast tomorrow.

Sounds like a wonderful road trip. Hope the coast is clear, that makes for a beautiful drive. When it is 85-90 down in the valleys it is a short drive to cooler weather. It don't work like that around here. The higher you go this time of year the warmer the weather. Beach is cooler but way too crowded.

• Options

I got lucky with perfect weather. Nothing terribly hot, no rain in sight anywhere on my route, can't ask for more. One more day inland, then out to the coast for a few, I have family there. Nice week away after some long workweeks. I think it'll end up being about 1500 miles.

@gagrice said:

• Options

@fintail said:

Beautiful pictures.

• Options
    edited September 2014

@imidazol97 said:
    Beautiful pictures.

No doubt! Thanks for sharing, fin. It truly is amazing how quickly the Cascade forests change from lush to dry. It was night the last two times I drove near Mt. Mazama, so I have not stopped there with the kids yet, and I was a kid myself when I saw it.

• Options

@xwesx, turns out that glacial blowout is the newest surfing hotspot.

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

@fintail said:

Great pictures, I fell in love with Crater Lake the first time I saw it. It really is too bad those places are getting discovered.

• Options
    Hey thanks. No scenic pics today, but I can report it was very smoky north of Medford this morning. I hit recirc a few times. On the agriculture theme, I saw a huge truck full of pumpkins south of Eugene - can't recall seeing that before. It is pretty cool how things become lush as you go north. Tomorrow is Mt. St. Helens, to compensate for an earlier trip where it was socked in. Then out to the coast.

No doubt! Thanks for sharing, fin. It truly is amazing how quickly the Cascade forests change from lush to dry. It was night the last two times I drove near Mt. Mazama, so I have not stopped there with the kids yet, and I was a kid myself when I saw it.

• Options
    It wasn't terribly crowded, given the weather and time of year. My trip to Mt. Rainier in July saw many more crowds of tourists. Beautiful area though, a good use of a little trip.

Great pictures, I fell in love with Crater Lake the first time I saw it. It really is too bad those places are getting discovered.