Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Droning/Humming Noise

12346»

Comments

• mooger1mooger1 Member Posts: 14
    my droning noise came at 40 - 42 miles an hour disappeared and then started again at about 60 miles an hour.. It drove me crazy,, I honestly don't remember whether the steering wheel had any affect on the noise or not.. My noise has been gone for awhile now.. It did drive me nuts.. While it was in the garage for an oil change, the mechanic checked the wheel bearings for noises and thought it was possibly the cause of my droning,,I never dreamed that was it...but it was...I love this van and now we are drone free...good luck with yours
    sorry our wheel bearing were replaced under warranty. However they were definitely causing the problem
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    Noticed the discussion here about wheel bearings.... Just had the right front wheel bearings repaired under warranty on my Ody 07 EX-L. 15,000 miles.

I have owned various Honda products since 1984, and I cannot ever remember a mechanical problem like this. I was very surprised. The sound developed right after I switched over from snows to all-seasons, and it sounded like I was driving a truck with huge tires, so I had the wheels balanced and rotated, thinking it was something there. Nope - wheel bearings bad in the right front at 15K. Very surprised, so I wanted to mention it here in case anyone else is hearing this sound. It is like a howl that varies with road speed, and most noticeable at around 40 to 50 mph.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    It's pretty easy to mess up a wheel bearing if you hit a pot hole wrong. Can happen to any make of car.
  • kaesankaesan Member Posts: 3
    I have talked to my mechanic about humming sound and he said it is not wheel bearing but bearing that is in the transmission.
    He said if it was wheel bearing, it should sound consistently not intermittently.
    I am not sure why your problem was fixed but I think it will come back again in the near future.
    What warranty was it under? Under Power train or was it different warranty?
    I stopped by Honda dealer and they charge $90 just to look at the problem.
    My van was still under the factory warranty, it did not cost me a penny. The noise was not constant, it would only make the noise at 40 - 42 and then again at 60 miles an hour.My mechanic told me that he did not think it was the wheel bearing because if it was it would make it all the time, but he did hear a little grinding noise when he would spin the wheel. He decided to try replacing the bearing, drivers side and the noise went away, thats all i can say. If your noise comes and goes it could be the wheel bearing mine was..If your vans is under warranty why would they charge you anything. I don't understand how they can determine that the noise is coming from the transmission. Heres what we did drive the van on a straight highway at around 60 miles an hour, TURN the van off and listen for the noise NOW THE MOTOR AND THE TRANSMISSION ARE OUT OF PLAY BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS OFF my noise is gone completely,You maybe try a different honda garage, and get a refund of your 90 dollars, If your van is out of warranty the take it to local garage and leave honda out of it. Like I said my noise is gone completely and it was the wheel bearing I'm sure of it. Take the road test yourself and try turning off the engine and listen to see it the noise is still there, if it is not then i don't know what it could be. good luck, keep me posted thanks moog
  • kaesankaesan Member Posts: 3
    thanks. I told him the same thing you said.
    I have 2006 with 56k miles on it. The noise comes around 2000 rpm. I am not sure if I want to turn off my engine while going 60mph.
    They told me they have to charge since they are not sure if it is their problem or if this is something I need to pay. If the problem is under warranty, then they will refund it.
    I am wondering if I take it to the local shop, how much it would cost. I think I looked for the price and it was around $100 per wheel bearing
  • whoosierdaddywhoosierdaddy Member Posts: 76
    Ours has a low-frequency droning sound too, '05 Ody EX, 40K mi., but not a "howling" and it's pretty constant. I will ask the dealer next time in. We also get some pinging now & then regardless of octane used...has anyone else had that and found a fix? Otherwise very happy with the Ody, it drives more like a car and zero unexpected maintenance costs. Test-drove a GMC Acadia recently and decided its handling is more truck-like than our '05 Ody, will keep what we have.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    Ok people here's the story. If your 05-08 odyssey has this vibration issue and has good engine mounts and the latest update on the exhaust droan time is going to reveal that's it's another honda transmission issue. Torque converter shudder. I have an 07 touring with the same issues. Honda has burried this issue stating it is the VCM management. But enough torque converts are beginning to fail to prove otherwise. I have talked to two dealer service managers in my area and have confirmed this issue. Both say they have already replaced several transmissions.
    The mechanical valves that control converter timeing are malfunctioning. Causing delayed erratic engagment. Shudder, jerking, delayed engagement into drive and or reverse, surge effect, exhaust droan, and brakeing complaints when the converter fails so disengage on time when brakeing. No codes are set because this is a mechanical failure not an electronic one. Can only be diagnosed by dealer doing a snap shot diagnosis and sending data to honda. Insist on that proceedure. One more thing. It's not the ECO mode that's causing the droan. The converter is dumping in, lugging the engine and causing the droan.
  • lkieflkief Member Posts: 3
    Good grief. Our 2000 Honda Odyssey only has 63,000 miles on it. Honda replaced the transmission a year or so ago on extended warranty. After that it started making a horrible humming noise in what seems like the front driver side wheel area whenever you got between 50 and 60 mph. Took it back to Honda, they said it was wheel bearings. We replaced them...same problem. Took it in to check the brakes and A frames, no problems seen anywhere. Still the humming sometimes around 45 but usually between 50 and 60 MPH. Everyone thinks we are crazy. It sounds so loud that I thought there must be a major problem and we are afraid to drive it on the freeway or take it on any long trips. We've been so happy with this car until now, but we can't find anyone who can tell us what the hell is going on. I read the posting about the "A" exhaust pipes and will check that out next...thanks to whomever posted it. In the meantime, if anyone else has an idea of how to fix this problem I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks..
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    .... Took it back to Honda, they said it was wheel bearings. We replaced them...same problem. ....

Wrong Diagnosis : You had paid the labor and cost of wheel bearings but later found that problem wasn't this part. Did they take back the parts and what was happened to the expense re this repalcement?
    Just like all the others are posting here, they just ignore the problem. When it first started I had a difficult time making it happen, so when the tech would ride with me I couldn't make it do it. Now, however, I can initiate the sound by simply getting the speed up between 50 and 60. We also noticed that it happens more when you are either traveling up or down in elevation on the road. What a shame. We have never been to happy with a car before all this started. Honda sent us a letter when we bought the car in 2002 telling us that certain models were having transmission problems. They extended the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles and sure enough when we got to around 50K the transmission started giving us problems. We took the car to the dealer and they replaced the transmission without cost. We has the same excellent response when we experienced problems with the electric side door locking. They completely replaced the locking system with the new, larger version used in the new model year...again no cost to us. But this problem seems to be systematically ignored by Honda. Maybe they don't know how to fix it. Anyway, we'd like to sell the car but there is no way I would sell it and pass this problem along to someone else. Until we can find a way to fix it, we're stuck in model year 2000. Honda, if you are reading this blog and want to keep faithful customers happy and buying your products, you need to step in here and solve this issue.
    Mike, I think there may be several different issues being lumped into this one blog. The humming we are experiencing can be so loud that you think a wheel is going to come off the car. It's not a small, annoying little sound that you could possibly ignore.
  • heukenheuken Member Posts: 11
    2007 EX-L
    I hear that too, especially when the rear windows are open some, at that speed, if I close the windows the noise goes away.
    The Honda service manager said he never heard that one before.
    I wanted to upgrade my sound system and I was told by Crutchfield that there is a noise canceling system in Odysseys. My theory is that the noise canceling system is causing the irritating sound, kind of like feedback.
    Karl
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    Another 2007 EX-L

We love the car. Currently has about 30K miles on it. I heard the same noise, humming/droning at about 15K but could not pinpoint it and my wife kept saying that is the way it sounds. Well over time the humming/droning got louder and I finally took it in. I could also feel vibration in the steering wheel when the noise started. My wife will not take the car in for any maintenance since she does not want to be without her car. :confuse: She went out of town so in it went. Well, the verdict was the driver side wheel bearing and the intermediate bearing both were replaced. My wife got back and picked up the car. No complaints from her yet but I have not driven it yet. It felt more like the tranny lugging to me. The best description is that the car does not "glide" when just cruising along but feels like it is being held back. I could make it make the sound consistently at 1300 rpm at 30mph, at 42mph and 60mph all with rpms below 2k. The other bothersome issue is the car is slow to engage from park to rev or drive and vice versa. Once I drive it for the weekend I will post back. ;)
  • moses7moses7 Member Posts: 25
    Honda has known about this humming noise since 2005, but refuses to fix it. I went the gambit trying to get mine fixed, even national headquarters, to no avail.

I too think it's the transmission.

All I can say is good luck!
  • hjmcmahanhjmcmahan Member Posts: 1
    I would hate to tell you all, but it's not just the honda's. Two years ago, I bought a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. I have heard the noise since I bought it. I thought it had to do with the shift-tronic transmission, but since I know other people now who have the shift-tronics and theirs doesn't do it, I know that it is not an issue. My humming comes right after 35mph, and it is only if you are not pushing on the gas pedal any harder, or it you don't let off. You have to be going at the steady pace. I took it to the dealership for that among a few other problems (one of which is a clicking in the steering column) and they "fixed" the problems. Well, driving out of the dealership I got the click and wanted to see if I had the humming on the way home before I called them. I did... I'm frustrated. I have a mechanic come into my work and tell me it could be a bearing, but who knows? They'll get my car back for repair for both issues. I guess the reason I am posting is because I want you to know that it is not just honda and I guess to realize that I'm not the only one... it's not just my car. GOOD LUCK TO ALL with this problem. It seems we're all in for the long haul on it!
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    Your slow to engage from park to reverse or drive and vice versa issue is addressed via TSB 07-063 "Engagement Delay After Shifting From P or R". There is a PCM software update.

Applies To: 2007 Odyssey:
    EX-L, Touring (With VCM Engine) -
    From VIN 5FNRL38..7B000001 thru
    5FNRL38..7B121203
    From VIN 5FNRL38..7B400001 thru
    5FNRL38..7B458691
    LX, EX (With VTEC Engine) -
    From VIN 5FNRL38..7B000001 thru
    5FNRL38..7B121721
    From VIN 5FNRL38..7B400001 thru
    5FNRL38..7B458780

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-063.PDF

This and all other 2005-2010 Odyssey TSBs are available on OdyClub:
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50378
  • goldengalgoldengal Member Posts: 5
    Ody 06 with 55,000 and a new steering pump (so I know it is not that awful noise) But, I have all the symptoms of the hum and drone! I don't know what to have them look for when I go to back to Honda Service. Do I go in and ask them to look at the A-pipe, motor mounts,wheel bearings or transmission (torque converter). I am facing a drive from St. Paul to Portland, Oregon in three weeks and need to know if we can safely make it. Can one drive with bad A-pipe, motor mounts, or wheel bearings? If it is the transmission then that will be a different decision.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    If it's the A pipe mounts you'll have no problem. If it's the wheel bearings you could have a problem. Here's what i did . drive the van down a straight road around 50 miles an hour.Turn the van motor off, it won't hurt anything, if the noise is still there then you know it can't be in the engine or tranmission because they are off. be careful and make sure you are on a straight road.( have someone from the garage with you so they can here the noise). Then we put the van on a hoist and spun the wheels with our hand and heard the grinding sound of a wheel bearing. Both front wheel bearing were replaced and the noise is gone. good luck
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    I would not diagnose it that way, due to safety.

Diagnose wheel bearings per the TSB or by checking for excessive wheel bearing play (trying to rock the front wheels up and down/side to side), while the Ody is on a lift.

TSB 06-018 Bearing Noise From the Front Wheels
    Applies To: 2005 Odyssey – ALL
    2006 Odyssey – 5FNRL3...6B000001 thru 5FNRL3...6B012830
    2006 Odyssey – 5FNRL3...6B400001 thru 5FNRL3...6B403543
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A06-018.PDF
  • 5streams5streams Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone notice whether the grinding is worse when you back up on a hill, like a driveway? thanks.
  • yeekyeek Member Posts: 18
    EX-L only has 1800 miles on it.
    On several hot days, loud droning noise happened around 2000 RPM in all gears.
    It follows a pattern. Drones for 2 sec, quiet for 2 sec, drones for 2 sec, quiet for 7 sec, then repeats the pattern. At other RPMs, engine seems noisier then normal.

Doesn't matter whether ECO light is on or off.

Noise pattern does not happen all the time, especially whenever I take it to the Honda dealer. Then the cabin is very quiet at all RPMs.

Dealer says they can't fix it if they can't hear it.

Ideas?
  • 2010van2010van Member Posts: 1
    2010 EX-L Odyssey. Exactly the same problem. Just returned from vacation driving through, KY, TN, NC mountains, drone or groan from the Odyssey around 70-75 mph. Sounds like transmission is having trouble with overdrive up or down shift. I wonder if it has something to do with the VCM dropping to 3/4 cylinders. My Honda dealer couldn't explain, but I didn't ask about VCM. The more I think about it, VCM may be an issue.
  • tigerman2tigerman2 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem with my 2003 Odyssey. I can almost guarantee that the problem is being caused by one of the oxygen sensors. One of the sensor is fowled and needs to be identified and replaced. To help in preventing reoccurrance, try sticking to one brand of fuel. This may be a challenge when going on long trips.
    I am finding it hard to believe that the dealer diagnostic is not able to identify this problem.
  • ody008ody008 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 07 Ody ExL to the dealer today for the front droning/humming noise at 40-70mhp. Dealer said The front wheel bearing goes bad and cost $350 to fix it. I call American Honda, they said that Front wheel bearing is covered by the powertrain warranty, which the dealer did even know, and I have to tell the dealer.
  • yeekyeek Member Posts: 18
    2010 EX with 12K. Loud, droning, resonating noise started around 3K. Sounds like a trombone. Happens between 2000 and 2500 RPM in all gears. It's sporadic. Only seems to happen when van has 5 passengers and it's hot outside. Drone pulses every 2 seconds, over and over again. EVO light on or off does not change sound. Vehicle seems to lag slightly with every drone. Not sure, but I think RPMs are higher at any given speed when it is stuck in drone mode as if tranny is slipping. Dealer can't find problem. Seems to doubt there is a problem. Of course, it won't drone for them because they won't put 5 people in it and drive it on a hot day. Sound is so loud it's difficult to talk over it. My kids beg me to drive them around in my rusty 1991 Econoline work van so they don't have to hold their hands over their ears in the Odyssey. That's a sad testimonial for Honda.
    Any ideas since Honda dealer is no help at all?
  • hondaowner56hondaowner56 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    On a recent long drive, I noticed a train horn-like sound/noise emitted from my 2000 Honda Odyssey EX. Sound is not consistent and goes on/off at the same freeway speed. I've lowered the windows but sound is still there. Only happens at freeway speeds above 60. It looks like it's coming from the A pillar area-driver's side. Does anyone know what it is and/or causes it?

Here's the sound:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpHWZkJNfI0
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    .....out on a limb here. Since this is a 2000 I would think the 1st thing to investigate are your wheel bearings.
  • jojocharlottejojocharlotte Member Posts: 3
    I know you posted this a year ago; however, I just watched your YouTube video & my 2000 Honda Odyssey makes that exact noise at high speeds. Were you ever able to figure out what it was? Thanks!
    No. The local Honda dealer wanted to charge me $150 (or $200) just to diagnose the problem. I figure fixing it (if they're able to) would probably cost more.

My mechanic (non-dealer) was not able to diagnose it either.

I decided to give up and replace the Ody with a new SUV.

Please try calling 1800 CAR TALK on Saturdays (Click and Clack... cartalk.com).

Good luck...

Thanks.
    Thanks for responding! Our mechanic said it may be a noise coming from the wheel bearing, but said the bearings are still good. I think we may just replace it too!
    On a different token, just fyi when buying a new car that not all infotainment systems that come as standard or optional are the same.

My experience with Toyota left me with a 4 yr old useless technology that costs $2500+. (Case in point : gps that is disabled for data entry, even for the front passenger, while the vehicle is in motion)...

Lesson learned: spend sometime with the vehicle you like before buying it. If it means renting the vehicle for a couple of days, do so.
  • mac09exlmac09exl Member Posts: 1
    Have you found any solution ? I have the same symptoms in mine 09 EXL 45000 milage. Warries about transmition.
    Thanks for that info!
  • billn777billn777 Member Posts: 1
    I was told that it is normal to notice a slight humming when the vehicle switches to ECO mode as it shuts off a cylinder or two to save gas. Watch the ECO light and try to see if they coincide, it did for mine.

easy playdough recipe
  • dtorqdtorq Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a fix to your your honda noise.
  • dronelessdroneless Member Posts: 6
    LISTEN UP DRONE NOISES - I read on here somewhere - some guy say - this noise is related to the Noise Cancellation System "if" you open the drivers door and it stops the drone noise. I laffed but got desperate enuff to try it before I spent thousands on repairs. IT WORKED!! The Noise Cancellation System cancels out noise of the 3 cylinders when in ECO mode. My stereo amp had a short which broke the circut on the Noise Cancellation System and with it off I had a loud drone. I fixed that and the drone was instantly gone - no expenses. Feel free to email me for more info: AlanMartin@mindspring.com

yeppo said:

2006 EX-L

Its been now 2 weeks since I have had my Odyssey. I keep getting a loud droning noise at around 40mph (somtimes) and between 59-64 mph (always). This goes away at speeds higher than that. Given that at an average we drive around that speed, it is painful. Is this a known issue as I don't want to take the car to the dealer for nothing.

Thanks,

Yeppo

LISTEN UP DRONE NOISES - I read on here somewhere - some guy say - this noise is related to the Noise Cancellation System "if" you open the drivers door and it stops the drone noise. I laffed but got desperate enuff to try it before I spent thousands on repairs. IT WORKED!! The Noise Cancellation System cancels out noise of the 3 cylinders when in ECO mode. My stereo amp had a short which broke the circut on the Noise Cancellation System and with it off I had a loud drone. I fixed that and the drone was instantly gone - no expenses. Feel free to email me for more info: AlanMartin@mindspring.com
    jnt said:

Yeppo,

Many people have complained about this same booming sound problem on EX-L and Touring models since 05 Model Year. So it is a carried over problem. If you also look at the Tach , you should also notice the sound typically happens between 2200- 2500 RPM. At high speed (above 70 MPH), the problem goes away. My 05 has it from the first day we got the vehicle. It sounds like air induction resonant noise and it spoils the overall very nice and quiet powertrain. No one has reported any word from Honda yet. They probably deny the problem at first.

jt

these two models have the noise cancellation system and thats probably the problem. Rev engine to 2100 RPMS and make the noise, then open the door, if the noise stops instantly - its the NCS.
    fred222 said:

Its been now 2 weeks since I have had my Odyssey. I keep getting a loud droning noise at around 40mph (somtimes) and between 59-64 mph (always). This goes away at speeds higher than that. Given that at an average we drive around that speed, it is painful. Is this a known issue as I don't want to take the car to the dealer for nothing.
    The Odyssey EX-L and Touring have special active engine mounts and active noise cancellation through the stereo to help negate the out of balance condition which is present when the VCM system is operating. This is a characteristic of this engine and is not going to change. I was aware of this prior to purchasing the vehicle and am actually surprised how well the system works considering that half of the cylinders, all on one side are not firing when the VCM operates.

yes this is the noise an engine makes with 3 cyc stopped - but honda put a noise cancellation system in the car and it is FAILING you - its tied in with your stereo. Get that electronic circut looked at (maybe u have a short in a speaker) and that will fix your noise suppression system and take away the noise.
    bhola said:

I have 2006 ODY EXL-RES. I was unable to reproduce this or at least not sure i was trying correctly. I tried with two ways. Raise gas when car is in P and brind RPM between 2100-2300 but no humming or vibration. The second way is when car is running and did not notice this. Am I doing this correctly?
    Thanks for all reply.

the rev to 2100 and then let off is what activates the ECO feature and starts kills 3 cycl from working for that 4 second period - and makes the noise. There is no vibration its a noise problem. Its at that precise moment that a harmonic resonance takes place and the noise cancellation system doesnt work to eliminate it.
  • litcritlitcrit Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Odyssey with 215K miles on it. It started making that droning / trombone noise when I push the engine (up hill, accelerate). I know I got good value out of this vehicle but I was curious so I asked my buddy who works as a Honda mechanic. He just said.. "It ain't good and it ain't worth fixing" (on an old car). It's obviously NOT due to any of the ECO issues stated here, this is a 15 year old car..still, I love it and want it to keep trucking..