Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Ford C-Max Energi

stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
edited September 2014 in Ford

OK, I can't stand not having a general discussion group for the Energi here... so I created this one. I just got mine, and I'm enjoying it immensely! This morning I got up and it had 21 miles on the EV range. After dropping the kids off and getting to work, I'd drive 8 miles and recovered 1.2 miles from regen braking. I'm wondering when I'll need to add gas!

Comments

• bgarrenbgarren Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me more about the CMax Energi? Planning to purchase one but they are so new there is not much info. Will current or past owners speak up?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    edited September 2014
    bgarren said:

Can anyone tell me more about the CMax Energi? Planning to purchase one but they are so new there is not much info. Will current or past owners speak up?

This vehicle is great if you have a lot of in-town driving to do. On the road, it gets somewhat less MPG than the normal C-Max, so if you do a lot of highway driving it probably won't get you the best mileage. It plugs into either 120v (normal house plugs), or you can purchase 220v chargers. It takes 7.5 hours to recharge from 120v and 2.5 from 220v.

The car has better materials and is heavier built than a Prius (my opinion). It drives really well and the technology is simply amazing. Right now the incentives from the government mean that the Energi ends up costing about the same as the normal hybrid model.

Is there something specific you want to know?

Here is a couple of cool details:

The engine will turn on and run the tank almost dry if you don't fill it up within 1800 miles. It also has a special sealed fuel system so that the gas doesn't go stale as quickly. You have to push a button and wait for the system to prepare for refueling. They had to put this into the car because some people almost literally never fill up. The car is good for around 24 EV miles without A/C or heat, around 18 with either of those working (this is in the summer, when the batteries work better).

The car has "coaching" capabilities that help you learn how to drive, and it connects over AT&T wireless (free for 5 years) to the Ford app on your phone or computer. That way you can see what your car is up to, and schedule "GO" times, which is where the car prepares for your trip by conditioning the battery and cabin temperatures.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you shop for an EV but ultimately decided not to buy one? A reporter wants to learn more about what went into your decision. If you'd like to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than October 25, 2014.
  • r2000gtor2000gto Member Posts: 1
    2015 Cmax-energi - First tank 700 miles (5 overnight charges)
  • redcmaxredcmax Member Posts: 3
    Looooove my 2014 CMax Energi. I only bought gas 8 times in my first year! MPG = 96. Lots of days I get everywhere I need to be on electric alone but I prob do @ 30% freeway driving, too. Costs me $0.97/night to charge on a reg 110V outlet in my garage. May put in a Level 2 charger someday but have not really missed having it. Total cost of gas+electricity+maintenance (none) for first year = $633 and drove 10,321 miles. Cost/mile = $0.06. In my SUV previously, I got 18 mpg and my cost/mile was $0.19. Couldn't be happier with my choice! I even love the SYNCH system that you read people complaining about. I think they maybe done read the directions :-). Drive one! You'll love the substantial, sporty feel.
    Make that 120V. Whatever the regular darn household plug is.....that's what I use!
    One other note from reading a string.....in spring/summer I get 28 miles on the battery alone...in the winter, it's @ 19 miles. But it's more than a previous poster so wanted to put it up to show range.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    redcmax said:

Make that 120V. Whatever the regular darn household plug is.....that's what I use!

"220, 221.. whatever it takes."

What movie is that quote from?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    redcmax said:

One other note from reading a string.....in spring/summer I get 28 miles on the battery alone...in the winter, it's @ 19 miles. But it's more than a previous poster so wanted to put it up to show range.

I'm getting about 28 in summer (23 with A/C), and about 25 in winter. Depends on the driving and speed, of course.

Highway mileage is around 42 at 70, and around 36 on pure Interstate at 80 MPH. Speed is a killer with this car, but it really was designed for in-town anyway.